Red Day Red day recipes

Laura_carlburgess

Gold Member
Hey

I am actually Going to try a red week next week. Does anybody have any favourite lunchtime ideas? And tea time meals?

Thanks xx

Hi hun, I do mostly red days, tonight I'm making thai king prawns with stir fried veg, made mince meat and onion pie with filo pastry (2 sheets is 7 syns) had that with carrot and sweede mash. The diet coke chicken is amazing ( recipe on here) the kfc chicken is also nice. One of my faves is spicy turkey burgers in pitta with salad! Think that's most of my weeks cooking! Lol

Hey

Thanks for your reply. What do u tend to have for your lunches as well if you don't mind me asking? As I am a bit of a loss for variety but want to try and get back to my pre holiday weight so thought by having my carbs as HEB then it might kick start a good loss in one week :)

Also is rice classed as a HEB and if so what is the weight per portion? I couldn't find it in the book.

Could I get the recipe for the turkey burgers? They sound amazing haha x

Also keep hearing about this diet coke chicken just don't know whether to make it or not bit abrehensive about what it's going to be like haha x

My lunch on red is usually salad with chicken or prawns and extra light Mayo but I love salad.

Breakfast is fried eggs on hexb bread and dinner is usually a sw meal or fish with roasted veg or salad.

I only have fruit as snacks and red works great for me, 11lb off this last month

Ooh my well done on your weight loss :) that's amazing!

I think I am quite carb sensitive so I think a good week of red days may help me loss the holiday weight I put on as I have been maintaining for sometime so my body isn't used to that big food binge intake I subjected it too so it won't blooming let go of the 5lbs I put on haha :)

Think I am going to go for a tuna salad tomorrow but as i have work i peob wont have time for anything other than porridge in the AM so def look at having fried eggs on toast Saturday yummmmmmmy x

my fav thing so far has been butternut squash soup. well sort of soup. consisting of butternut squash a stock cube (i used beef) and a blender. it was soup like anyhow. and actually really nice!

I make ham, mushroom & red onion omelettes or a seafood salad or a ham toastie using HEB bread

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Also is rice classed as a HEB and if so what is the weight per portion? I couldn't find it in the book.
Rice not allowed on Red days even as a HexB. You have to syn it.
Baked spud, new spuds or 35g of wholemeal pasta is about it on a red day.
Except of course for the various pulses and beans of course.

Lunches on red days I actually stick to all free or superfree stuff - mad I know - but I find my weight loss is better that way. Lots of Superspeed Soup followed by fruit and yoghurt.

Hey

Ok that's fab done really well on Redcar yesterday up until I realised corn on the cob that I ate at our BBQ wasn't free on red...and I had two yikes! Luckily was able to change to EE day and will class it as FF as I had already had 5.5 syns up until that point (only like to have 10) and only had a coop pitta as HEB phew!

What superspeed soup do you make? I fancy making some today for my dinners this week. X

The Superspeed soup recipe is here on the forum
Superspeed Soup
But becasue of all the beans it is not suitable for a red day.

The one I make for red days is:

1 large courgette (roughly chopped)
1 large leek (roughly chopped)
1 head of broccoli (roughly chopped)
Garlic
1 carrot (finely sliced)
1/4 large cabbage (finely sliced)
2 pints stock made from chicken bovril
[plus any leftover ends of veg like asparagus stems, cucumber, green beans etc)

Put everything EXCEPT the carrot and cabbage in a large pan and cook for 30 minutes or until all veg is soft.
Blitz with a hand blender.
Add the carrots and cook for 10 minutes and then add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes.

You end up with a thickish green soup with chunky bits in it. You can vary the amount of water - add more if you prefer it slightly runnier.

Makes enough for lunch all week.

Freezes well!

You can also add cauliflower (except I'm not keen on this) which makes it slightly sweeter.

I often add a dash of Worcestershire sauce when serving to spice it up a bit.

Laura - you asked about lunches on red days.
Do you have access to a cooker or not at lunchtime?

2 of my favourites are:
a) 2 poached eggs and 2 rashers of v. lean bacon plus a few baked beans on 1 slice toast (1/2 HexB)
b) Quiche / omlette / tortilla - whatever name you want to give it.

Quiche Recipe
Fry a chopped onion and a couple of rashers of bacon in fry light and put into the bottom of a no-stick flan dish (20cm one).
Beat 4 large eggs and pour over the bacon and onions in the flan dish and cook in the oven at 180c for about 20 minutes until set.

You can add whatever veg you want as well, I love it with red pepper.

Does 4 medium sized portions to eat with a salad for lunch or 2 HUGE ones if you are really starving. Can be served cold or nuked for a a few seconds in a microwave.

I have also made this with prawns and it is yummy.

There's also a veggie tortilla recipe on the SW website for something very similar but with no meat and lots more veg.
red-pepper-spinach-and-sweet-potato-tortilla

As well as salads i make up a load of soup. The curried butternut squash one is my fave so far. Then freeze it or fridge it and stick in microwave :)

Back