Red/Green days from EE?

madmumof3

I'm on EE and have been for 4 weeks and so far I've lost 7.5lbs which is great but I was thinking of trying red/green days to see if it boosts my weight loss a little.

The trouble is I've lost my red/green book (didn't even read it as I'm following EE and I've no idea where I put it)!

I think I've got the general gist;

Red days are lean meat and superfree, carbs are synned?

Green days are carbs and superfree, meat is synned?

Both have 2 x each hex instead of one but they're slightly different to EE hex'?

Can anyone give me some red or green meals (free) that I can try, it's all a lot of info to take in after following EE only! Thanks :D

You'll need your book really as your meat/poultry/fish can be syns or one of your HEBs on green days (and different weights will be a HEB for different meats) and your carbs can be syns or HEBs on red days (and again, everything will be different weights for pasta, potatoes, rice etc). I'd advise having a good hunt for it if you can! There's a Red Day thread knocking around on here which will give you lots of ideas for red day meals, not sure if the same exists for green days or not - perhaps in the Recipes section? xx

I've just found my book! And I had some great tips and think I have 1 green and 1 day, do these both sound ok? I've only been on EE 4 weeks and it took a couple of weeks to get my head around that, I'm shooting in the dark with the red and green day! lol

GREEN:

B: 2 x weetabix, milk (1 hea), fruit.

L: Jacket potato, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, toast (1 heb).

D: Eggs, chips, peas, 1/3 superfree (not sure what yet!).

Leaving 1 hea (cups of tea) and 1 heb (hifi bar)?

RED:

B: Muller light, fruit.

L: Sausage (1/2 syn), bacon, tomatoes, eggs, mushrooms, toast (1 heb)

D: Chicken, roated veg, chips made out of swede! lol

Leaving 2 x hea (tea, not sure what else, do I need to use it?) and 1 heb (hifi bar).

Do they sound ok?

On your green day the Weetabix counts as a HEB so you haven't got another one spare at the end of the day, but apart from that all looks good.

On the red day just check that all the roasted veg you're using is definitely free on a red day, I'm sure some of the root veg aren't.

It's recommended that you use your HEAs as there's some evidence that shows calcium aids weightloss, but it's not mandatory so if you're struggling don't worry. I tend to have a few 30g cheeses in the fridge so I can have one at night if I've got a HEA spare (e.g. the little Cathedral City multipack ones or the Tabasco Cheddar ones are particular favourites!)

Hope that helps :) xx

On your green day the Weetabix counts as a HEB so you haven't got another one spare at the end of the day, but apart from that all looks good.

On the red day just check that all the roasted veg you're using is definitely free on a red day, I'm sure some of the root veg aren't.

It's recommended that you use your HEAs as there's some evidence that shows calcium aids weightloss, but it's not mandatory so if you're struggling don't worry. I tend to have a few 30g cheeses in the fridge so I can have one at night if I've got a HEA spare (e.g. the little Cathedral City multipack ones or the Tabasco Cheddar ones are particular favourites!)

Hope that helps :) xx

Ahh yes I'd missed that! Forget the toast at lunch then lol :D

I thought all veg was free? :O I was thinking carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli and swede?

And I love milk, I struggle sometimes on EE with the lack of milk so I would be more than happy to down a glass of milk for an hea :D

Peas, sweetcorn, potatoes, some types of beans (e.g broad) = only free on EE/Green because they're classed as starchy veg.

I reccomend buternut squash, it's a great replacement for potatoes on red days. Roasted cauliflower or celeriac is nice too :)

Ok so no peas or green beans on my dinner, is the rest ok, carrots, broccoli, swede? x

You can have green beans as those are on the superfree list, the rest of your veg is fine too :)

Hope you enjoy trying out green and red days - I prefer them during the week as the extra hexes come in handy if I get in from work stavinv and can't wait for tea lol I record my food in my diary on here if you want some ideas x

You can have green beans as those are on the superfree list, the rest of your veg is fine too :)

Hope you enjoy trying out green and red days - I prefer them during the week as the extra hexes come in handy if I get in from work stavinv and can't wait for tea lol I record my food in my diary on here if you want some ideas x

Thank you everyone! I'm sure in a week or so I'll have my head round red and green days too :)

I didn't even realise you could write food diaries on here! I fill my sheet in every day otherwise I'd lose track x

Hi

On green you don't have to incorporate superfree into your meals....just incase you fancy something quick. I sometimes just have a pasta n sauce on a spud for lunch (sounds strange but the sauce sinks into the spud and it makes it lovely(no butter or milk inc ha). It does help to get your 5 a day in though :) xxx

I always have at least 1/2 a plate of superfree, I like veg and it can only help boost my losses :D

I've had 2 red days and a green day this week so here's hoping the scales are kinder to me this week!

The first red day was fab (menu above), wasn't hungry at all, as was the first green day.

Today was my second red day and I'm not sure if it's because I've been more active today (Melton Day here) but I've been hungrier today. I've had both of my hebs and heas and I'm hungry so I think I'm going to make a ham 'sandwich', with the sandwich part being lettuce instead of bread :D Maybe pineapple as well, I can't go to bed hungry. After nearly 5 weeks on sw today is the first day I've been properly hungry before bed :S Possibly need more meat, I did have over 2/3rds superfree with my dinner tonight.

Still getting my head around it though, I'm definitely doing them again, I love having double the heb's, I love my bread and hifi bars! It means I can have cereal with lots of milk again as well (before sw this was my breakfast every day since I was a child!). I'd given up on cereal because of the poxy amount of milk I could put on it on EE days!

I'm trying my first red day today, I've been sat trying to plan my food for the past 30 minutes! I'll get there eventually!

I'm trying my first red day today, I've been sat trying to plan my food for the past 30 minutes! I'll get there eventually!

Lol it took me a while too! Bascially it's no carbs, no peas, and no beans! There are probably a couple more things you can't have but these are the things I eat regularly.

My husbands makes our dinners and he's been making butternut squash or swede chips, exactly the way he'd cook chips and it definitely tricks my mind (and stomach) into thinking I'm eating chips!

I've just started Red & Green days as I was losing the same lb and gaining it back again. It was driving me nuts.

Have been doing Red and Green on alternate days. Have found Green days tend to be more filling than Red but that's because I'm not keen on snacking on ham, crabsticks etc.

Absolutely stuffed today on Green.

B - Portabello mushrooms stuffed with couscous, spring onion, tomato with HEA of cheese on top
L - SW spicy beanburger (from the website - made 3 big burgers but only had one), 2 HEB wholemeal rolls
D - Butternut squash & red lentil curry, rice, bombay potatoes, SW onion bharjis 40g garlic & coriander naan (5.5 syns)

2nd HEA - milk in tea

Syns: naan (as above) 5.5
Mini Milk - 1.5 (will have this evening)
Cornflour 12.5g - 2.5
Onion Bhaji x 3 - 1.5

Also have a beanburger in the fridge if I feel hungry which I can reheat. Other one went in the freezer. I've also still got a slice of syn free fruit roulade left if I fancy it.

Can't believe how much I can eat in a day, LOL!

Denise

Back