Red Lentils

Nemesis82

Silver Member
Hello,

I have a massive bag of red lentils and bar soup, I'm not really sure what to use them for. Any suggestions or recipes would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks x

I just sat here for a good 10 minutes trying to figure out what ' bar soup' was......

Duh.

And then I readit properly and realised that I'm an idiot.

Bar soup, I'm not really sure what you can use lentils for. I did read somewhere that you can use them to thicken stews.

Lentils are great, I put 'em in most things I cook in a slow cooker, chillies, curries, casseroles they have a nice nutty flavour and thicken sauces x

Are lentils free/super free etc?

Sorry, the bar soup is maybe my local twang coming out!

Cheese and lentil wedges are very yummy! I make them all the time. I originally got the recipe from the SW website years ago, and I think it is also on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it in a quick search. Here is the version I use:

LENTIL WEDGES
8oz/227g red lentils
450ml water/vegetable stock
1 large onion, chopped finely
Fry light
4oz/113g strong cheddar cheese, grated*
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 egg
salt & pepper
Optional: 1 large red chilli, chopped finely; 1 large garlic clove, chopped finely

Cook the lentils in the water until soft, and all the liquid has been absorbed. (bring to the boil, then simmer on low heat, stirring frequently). Meanwhile chop the onion, and fry in Fry Light until soft. Combine all the ingredients and press into a baking tin/pyrex dish lined with baking parchment. Bake at 190 deg/Gas 5 for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold, cut into wedges (I think it is best cold).

*NB I use 120g of reduced fat cheddar. This means 1/3 of the whole dish is a HEX A on EE/Green. In the original recipe, ¼ of the whole dish is a HEX A.

I made a chilli version for a taster session at group last month and it went down a storm!

I also sometimes make a cheesy sauce for vegetables if I have a craving for comfort food: fry chopped onion in FryLight, add a couple of handfuls of red lentils, a squirt of tomato puree and veg. stock, simmer till thick (stirring frequently - towards the end beat vigorously to break down the lentils). Stir in a hex A of grated cheese and lots of black pepper, and pour over a plate of vegetables. New potatoes, green beans and peas are my favourite mix, but you can use whatever you like.

Cheese and lentil wedges are very yummy! I make them all the time. I originally got the recipe from the SW website years ago, and I think it is also on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it in a quick search. Here is the version I use:

LENTIL WEDGES
8oz/227g red lentils
450ml water/vegetable stock
1 large onion, chopped finely
Fry light
4oz/113g strong cheddar cheese, grated*
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 egg
salt & pepper
Optional: 1 large red chilli, chopped finely; 1 large garlic clove, chopped finely

Cook the lentils in the water until soft, and all the liquid has been absorbed. (bring to the boil, then simmer on low heat, stirring frequently). Meanwhile chop the onion, and fry in Fry Light until soft. Combine all the ingredients and press into a baking tin/pyrex dish lined with baking parchment. Bake at 190 deg/Gas 5 for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold, cut into wedges (I think it is best cold).

*NB I use 120g of reduced fat cheddar. This means 1/3 of the whole dish is a HEX A on EE/Green. In the original recipe, ¼ of the whole dish is a HEX A.

I made a chilli version for a taster session at group last month and it went down a storm!

Ooooh love this idea- will try it out soon, thank you

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

The wedges sound lovely!

I saw on come dine with me a while ago someone made a vegetarian red lentil pate which looked lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Lentil Pate Recipe - Food.com

Was this the recipe from come dine with me with the pate? It sounds delicious even if not. Just have to work out the syns but wont be much per portion I wouldn't have thought x

That was it yea! It sounded so good and everyone on the episode loved it! I don't think there will be many syns at a glance I could only think milk and mango chutney would be synned but at 2 tablespoons of each for the whole recipe that can't be too many per portion!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

When I'm stuck what to make with something or just want something different I go on yummly.com and search for recipes using my ingredient you'll have to make them SW friendly but there are some really interesting recipes.

Back