Red wine drinkers, help please

donna88

Gold Member
I've realised since I stopped drinking, that when I do drink I prefer red wine to white and rose, which is odd as I never used to be able to drink it.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a mini bottle for Christmas eve and also to a bottle for new years possibly as we'll be at my boyfriends house and she usually buys me rose as that's what I usually drink, so if I'm going to have wine I'd like red but don't want to ask her to buy it as I don't think she likes it so wouldn't expect her to go out of her way to get some in just for me.

Anyway, as I've never drank it before I don't really know what a good red it, I don't want to spend too much on it, but I also want to enjoy it. I don't like it too dry but I'm happy to drink it with a glass of water as well (can't believe I'm saying this I've always laughed at my mum and her partner when they drink red wine and need to have water with it as well)

Blossom Hill soft and fruity is a nice mellow red and sparkling water or diet lemonade would be a good mixer.

I've never been a fan of red wine but have you tried the summer red? Think its a gallo one?

About £7 a bottle, but occasionally comes in the asda 3 for £10.

It's divine! X

I have always been a red wine drinker, that is until I stopped drinking cos of SW, but when I do have a drink I drink a shiraz, cabernet, sauvignon. Lidle do a reasonable one or if you can find it a ribera del duero from Spain and easily thebest wine Spain has ever produced or a merlot, a shiraz merlot is perfection.

There are some superb Australian and South African wines and the Chilean ones are good too.

All the above red's are fruity and full bodied ( a bit like me lol).

Houghton Cabernet Shiraz Merlot 2005/2007 75cl
£8.99 - Drinks Direct.co.uk
Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Shiraz Merlot 2010 ...
£9.99 - Majestic Wine
Culebrón Shiraz Merlot Crianza
£3.97 - Licorea.COM

Minarete Ribera del Duero, Spain 2010 (£5.49, Aldi) With its s****y, expensively constructed wineries and glossy, powerful red wines, there's something a bit flash, brash and aspirational about the Spanish region Ribera del Duero which is usually reflected in the prices. This very rare sub-£6 version is a bit of a find, then, and it's surprisingly good: soft, full and rich, with plenty of damson and cherry fruit, and a kiss of mocha-flavoured oak.

Hope this helps you........................

I find the whole wine thing very confusing, I always think if you find one you like stick with it. I look at labels and I havent got a clue. If I was going for a red it would have to be a fruity one rather than a full bodied that takes the enamel off your teeth LOL

Part of my problem there is I don't know which ones I've had recently which I liked, had some out and had some at a friends which she'd got when she was away.... so nothing that I can pick up myself.

I have always been a red wine drinker, that is until I stopped drinking cos of SW, but when I do have a drink I drink a shiraz, cabernet, sauvignon. Lidle do a reasonable one or if you can find it a ribera del duero from Spain and easily thebest wine Spain has ever produced or a merlot, a shiraz merlot is perfection.

There are some superb Australian and South African wines and the Chilean ones are good too.

All the above red's are fruity and full bodied ( a bit like me lol).

Houghton Cabernet Shiraz Merlot 2005/2007 75cl
£8.99 - Drinks Direct.co.uk
Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Shiraz Merlot 2010 ...
£9.99 - Majestic Wine
Culebrón Shiraz Merlot Crianza
£3.97 - Licorea.COM

Minarete Ribera del Duero, Spain 2010 (£5.49, Aldi) With its s****y, expensively constructed wineries and glossy, powerful red wines, there's something a bit flash, brash and aspirational about the Spanish region Ribera del Duero which is usually reflected in the prices. This very rare sub-£6 version is a bit of a find, then, and it's surprisingly good: soft, full and rich, with plenty of damson and cherry fruit, and a kiss of mocha-flavoured oak.

Hope this helps you........................

the word that has been atrixed out is the mild and unoffensive word SW4NKY we can only assume that the automatic corrector sees something that is not there !!!!

I find the whole wine thing very confusing, I always think if you find one you like stick with it. I look at labels and I havent got a clue. If I was going for a red it would have to be a fruity one rather than a full bodied that takes the enamel off your teeth LOL

full bodied is a fruity red wine Peggy. Avoid very young red wines and dry red wines but as you so rightly said the best yard stick is to find one you like and stick with it.

Haha I did wonder what it was, that's quite funny. wouldn't have noticed what wasn't there if it hadn't had been taken out in the first place....

Hi Donna, I am just having the rare treat of a glass of red wine............it is a Ribera del Duero and it is delicious. Smooth, fruity and very, very moreish.

Banrock Station, Wolfblass, McGuigans are Australian reds & pretty scrummy & not too expensive especially if there are deals on

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

I love red wine and am not drinking it at the moment!

My fave is campo viejo - rioja about £7

If you like sweet and Rose the summer red mentioned above maybe good for you? Very easy to drink but too sweet for me! Enjoy x

After speaking to my boyfriend and mum today I don't know if sweet would be the right option, as I was saying how weird it was that I like it now when I never used to, but then they pointed out that I haven't drank for a while and also don't eat as many sweet things so maybe that's why I now prefer red as its richer and not as sweet.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll bear it all in mind when looking over the next few weeks :)

After speaking to my boyfriend and mum today I don't know if sweet would be the right option, as I was saying how weird it was that I like it now when I never used to, but then they pointed out that I haven't drank for a while and also don't eat as many sweet things so maybe that's why I now prefer red as its richer and not as sweet.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll bear it all in mind when looking over the next few weeks :)

I think the only way to find out Donna is to try lots and lots of diferent ones until you find the one you like purely as research of course !!!! lol !!!

I think the only way to find out Donna is to try lots and lots of diferent ones until you find the one you like purely as research of course !!!! lol !!!

I think your right, going to have to start picking them up each weekend ;) or even look into somewhere I can do tasters.... it just wouldn't do to pick the wrong one up lol

Back