Red's diary - yes, I'm back and I'm going to meetings

Red Riding Hood

Silver Member
Hello everyone and anyone who might remember me (and some people I recognise ;))

Having started and failed twice I am back but instead of doing it alone this time I have joined a meeting group. I started back today so this is my first week back. I'm hoping going to meetings will help me stay on track this time.

So this is today so far - I am not as organised as I'd like today so apart from having some superfree soup ready I've not really planned my meals well. I don't have to work tomorrow so I'll set aside some time to plan then.

Thursday 10/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – . Bowl of fruit (Apple, banana, 6 grapes), Black coffee

Lunch – . SF soup (tomato and basil – also has carrots and cauliflower in)
Jacket potato and LC beans 2 x Babybel Light (HexA) spinach and tomatoes

Dinner – .SF soup again (tomato and basil)
Crustless quiche (tinned salmon, eggs, 1 x Babybel light, red and green peppers) – served with mushrooms and garlic and cous cous and spinach leaves
Mullerlight

Snack – .Some turkey (bizarre snack yes, I wasn’t organised)

Hex A and B – .Babybel Lights x 3 Hi-fi Light x 2

Syns – .Options drink (2) Alpen Light bar (3) = 5 in total

Last edited:
This is yesterday and today so far. Yesterday I went to a Body Shop party, I didn't drink because I just want to avoid it this first week BUT we did organise a night out for later in the year so that will be something to look forward to.

Friday 11/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – .banana – slice of crustless quiche from yesterday

Lunch – .SF tomato and basil soup, last slice crustless quiche, 3 slices smoked salmon and spinach leaves

Dinner – .Mince curry (contained mushrooms, courgette, onion, green lentils, ex lean mince) with cauliflower rice. (blitzed cauliflower)
Mullerlight

Snack – .Apple

Hex A and B – .3 x Babybel lights, Alpen light bars

Syns – .Options drink (2) special K biscuit (5) = 7

Saturday 12/01/13 – Easy Extra

Breakfast – . Onions, red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms fried in frylight with garlic and spices, 2 eggs, 2 turkey rashers, 2 LMcCartney Red onion and rosemary sausages
More of a brunch thing
Lunch – .

Dinner – .

Snack – .

Hex A and B – .

Syns – .

Rest of yesterday and today although I may add some syns there

Saturday 12/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – . onions, red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms fried in frylight with garlic and spices, 2 eggs, 2 turkey rashers, 2 LMcCartney Red onion and rosemary sausages
More of a brunch thing
Lunch – .

Dinner – .Butternut squash and carrot soup.
Homemade salmon pate in lettuce leaf wraps, tomatoes, watercress
Mullerlight cherry/choc layer (1.5syn)
Snack – .fresh pineapple

Hex A and B – .Ryvita original x 4, Kerry Low Low spread 60G

Syns – . 2 x Alpen Lights (6) Options drink (2) yoghurt (1.5) = 9.5
Sunday 13/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – .egg, some of yesterday’s veg mix, LC baked beans

Lunch – .Thai mugshot (0.5) banana, apple

Dinner – . Quorn peppered steak (1), jacket potato, lots of watercress and spinach
Laughing cow light on potato (HexA)

Snack – .Apple, fresh pineapple, cup butternut squash soup (Sf)

Hex A and B – .Laughing cow light, 2 x Hi-fi bar

Syns – .1.5 meals + options drink (2) +

Hello RRH,

My name's Mel, I think that's a name you might like. I'm a lady, a pink one.

The world's a small place.

Especially with my fat self in it. Perhaps I should scrapbook that?

Hope you enjoy my riddle..

Loads of love to you - you gorgeous girl!!!

;) xXx

Hello Mel my darling!

It is a small world and I'm positive you are smaller than me and a lot younger and prettier!! SO less of that madam.

So are you doing Slimming World too? I have done it on my own and given up twice - even after losing. I'm hoping that going to the meetings will keep me focused :rolleyes:

I haven't done any scrapping for an age :sigh: with working I can't seem to find the time. I have made a few cards to sell here and there. Anyway, with a view to doing something more creative with memories. I got OH to buy me on of the K & Co Smash books for Christmas so I'm going to attempt an art journal this year using that as a base. They are so lovely!! I have to do something with my stash I can't just keep adding to it and stroking it like Gollum - my precious... :D

Anyway, D is nosing over my shoulder reading instead of doing his homework so I'm going to go now, but come back and chat, we can support each other. It's lovely to 'see' you.

Oh and while I'm here ... today so far

Monday 14/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – .Rest of cous cous and veg mix (mostly veg), spoon cottage cheese, raspberries

Lunch – .cup butternut squash and carrot soup, salmon pate wraps (using iceberg lettuce) – banana

Dinner – .River trout, steamed with garlic, lemon and chilli, fennel and cherry tomatoes roasted in frylight, curly kale, whole wheat pasta
Mullerlight Greek peach yoghurt ( ½ syn)
Snack – .peach

Hex A and B – .2x Alpen light, 3 x Babybel Lights

Syns – .wholewheat melba toast (3.5) + Options drink (2) + Hi-fi light bar (3) = 9

Last edited:
Mel you are looking awesome now. I know you can lose that weight for your birthday. I'm a bit like you in that I don't want to be fat at forty (2 years away :eek: )

You know you talk about D being big but S started school this year and he keeps bloody growing. I want my baby back - but no more children for me I'm afraid. The next thing I need to do is get back into full time work.

I did laugh at my 'insane' food diary. :D The river trout was reduced in Morrisons big piece for £1.49 and all I did was slice some garlic, and fresh ginger and put some on top of it with 2 lemon slices and stick it in my steamer - not very taxing! It was nice though. I have a slight obsession with curly kale right now I love it stir fried with garlic and chilli. I'll have a look at the meal ideas threads, I did post on it back in the day.

I can't believe how well you have done - well I can believe it - you always succeed when you put your mind to something. I love that you posted all that on my diary - feel free to come and share this diary with me - I like the company!

Previously I lost 4 stone and then put it on again + one for company, then lost 3 but just lost momentum. I think group will help me. I'm a bit shocked about how your group treated you. I think you should complain, I honestly do. Personal issues like your mum being ill (sorry to hear that btw, how is she now? My mum had a stroke last year too) come at us without notice, and allowances should be made. Is there another group in your area? Anyway - PM me if there is any info you need or anything else. I'll send you my number too.

OH was off today and let me have a lie in! Hooray. So I had a late, big breakfast (brunch). The plan for tonight is quorn, I may have some normal rice with it too, haven't decided yet I will be making some for OH and the boys anyway. I do like the cauliflower alternative though and it fulfills the superfree.

I have been procrastinating a lot this morning and I REALLY need to do some work on The Kiterunner as I'm trying to make a info sheet on it for students and I have 2 students this evening so I should get on.

This is the food diary so far today and the plan for tea:

Tuesday 15/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – .

Lunch – .Brunch: 2 Turkey rashers, 2 LM red onion sausages, 1 egg, 2 spoons Heinz mixed baked beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions.

Dinner – .Quorn stroganoff (using the beef strips and quark) lots of mushrooms in it, served with cauliflower rice and spinach and watercress – salad dressing (1)
Mullerlight and sliced banana

Snack – .Raspberries,

Hex A and B – .Special K chewy delight 3 x Babybel Light

Syns – .salad dressing (1) + Options drink (2) + Ryvita minis (5) + Alpen Light (3) = 11

Last edited:
My first weigh in tomorrow morning at group. I haven't weighed myself on my scales so I can't weigh myself here - I did that deliberately. Hopefully I will have some kind of loss. Sometimes I don't lose so much the first week so I will bear that in mind.

Here is today's food and planned food. I popped into Tesco earlier to see if I could get any Turkish Delight Mullerlights since when I went yesterday they were all sold out by the afternoon. I was successful! I also managed to pick up a reduced bit of steak for OH and I for tea. I am going to try the Smash onion rings with them from Bookie's food diary. The kids will be having homemade lasagne (I have it ready made in portions for them for just this kind of occasion - they LOVE lasagne - if it is homemade, won't eat the convenience stuff - I tried :eek:) so they will be happy.

Wednesday 16/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – .2 WW sausages (1), Heinz mixed baked beans, onion, mushroom, tomato with garlic and thyme

Lunch – .Cauliflower and broccoli soup – peach, pineapple and raspberries

Dinner – .Steak, potato wedges, Smash onion rings, stir fried kale, baby corn and broccoli
Mullerlight
Snack – .

Hex A and B – . 2 x Alpen Light bars

Syns – .

Hi there Red/Melissa!!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome back, and may I return the greeting!!! How cool that we are restarting together?!!! Yes I'm kicking myself that I have let things slip due to recent events and let the pounds pile on, but on the positive side, and we MUST focus on that, there is no stopping me and I am really excited about this!!! I'm so pleased you joined a class- I can honestly say hand on heart that I need the class to be successful at it!! I know there are people on here who can do it alone and weighing themselves is good discipline in itself, but I'm not strong enough for that! I have to face up to it!! I hope that you are seeing this as one big positive move!! YOu should do because you know how successful you were at it before and you know how brilliant you feel seeing those pounds melt away, feeling the benefits in so many ways, and enjoying eating so much healthy fresh food!!!

Big hug!!! Thanks also for the kind words about my Mum. It's been (and still is) a very tough time, but the support has been just amazing and I feel I have become a stronger person with more to give!!

Lots of love, Hev XXXXXX

Funcurls Well done you for not going back to 15 stone! Most people that stray end up heavier than before they lost their weight because they feel as though they might as well just give up. I hope the enthusiasm stays and you find your weight for life x :D

Mel, I love your diary! Fab tastic! Some advice, please - I read a while ago that curly kale is a superfood and being anaemic, it's one of the most iron rich things you can eat. So, I promptly got myself some in and it was vile - like eating a spicy raw cabbage. I've never tried it stir-fried, what is your usual method? Just a straight-forward stir-fry with a little seasoning or do you jazz it up a little?

I LOVE using Smash as a coating for chicken! Tried it on onion rings and wasn't too keen.. it tasted a bit strange to me but Lee yummed it up (as did the weird children who always baulk at anything mince based so lasagne is a struggle!).

I'm SO excited you have weigh in! I'll be dodging back and forth here tomorrow to see how you got on, I know it's going to be great - you go girl!! One week down, onwards and downwards.

Sorry for the excessive use of exclamation marks, i'm not shouting - just a bit hyper. ;)

Please don't tell me S has started school or I might sob in to my old ladies big pants. *sniff* Where did our babies go? My baby is 2 in two months. Time just flies - it's been 7 years in august since I 'met' you. :)

Good luck!! xx

Funcurls Well done you for not going back to 15 stone! Most people that stray end up heavier than before they lost their weight because they feel as though they might as well just give up. I hope the enthusiasm stays and you find your weight for life x :D

Thanks LL!! Actually it was 15 st 12 lb, so that's even better! I'd have been devastated if I'd let myself go back up to anywhere near that! I only say that because it would have been so disappointing to undo the hard work I'd put in! I'm hoping to get rid of the first stone pretty fast, but only because I know I gained it quickly so hopefully the easy on easy off philosophy applies!! After that I'm very happy to chip away gradually as that's what I did when I lost the 72lb! Very well done on your own success by the way! I see you're nearly half way there! And lost nearly 4 stone! You must be feeling really great!!!XXXX

Thanks for the post Hevs - I hope group does help.

I can't possibly really imagine what you are going through regarding your mum, I'm not sure you can ever really know until you have gone through similar. But I know what an amazing person you are and I'm sorry you are hurting. I am also truly impressed that you only put on what you did and that you are back here. You've always been a bit of an inspiration to me and this time I hope I can do what you did and actually make it to target.

Mel, I actually like the kale so I don't know if it just isn't your thing. What I do with it is stir fry it in the wok with frylight, garlic, chilli and little slivers of fresh ginger - yesterday I added halved baby corns and small broccoli florets which was really nice. I think an alternative for you might be the young leaf spinach, if you use it in salads or add it at the end of cooking a curry? So, yes, sorry to say S is at school and he doesn't even look back at me when he goes in. In contrast to his brother he is quite the social butterfly and flits off to schmooze with his friends, going from one to the other to include them all. I wait for him to go in but he barely notices me *sniff*. Still I suppose better that than him crying or not wanting to go. He's so tall now too Mel. In a few years they will both tower over me and how will I tell them off then??

Anyway the news you have been waiting for is weigh in and well, meh, I'm not that pleased. It was 1.5lb off - I know in reality that the numbers going down is all that counts and that I don't always have these mighty first week losses (apart from the very first time I did it) but part of me feels a bit upset. I can't really tell when I have my period as I have a mirena coil but the fact I am feeling a bit teary about a 1.5lb loss may indicate something is amiss. Either way, the numbers on the scale are going down and maybe slow and steady losses will be better for me. I know I have to just stick with it, 1lb a week would be a good thing if I sustained that.

I do like group, my consultant is lovely, really helpful and enthusiastic so I'm still glad I'm going. :D :D

Right I REALLY need to do some work since I spent the morning at group and I'm teaching tonight.

I wrote 'spicy, raw cabbage'. I meant SPIKY - duh! It was very late though ;) You do your stir frys exactly like me so maybe I should just give it another go and see how I feel. I'll come back and moan if it's awful though so be warned - just kidding! I already use spinach - it's a superfree bulker so I get more rice with my curry, WIN-WIN :p

Well 1.5lb, you go girl! Thinking silly, how much would you weigh right now if you hadn't started the diet? Probably 1.5 on! so it's a 3lb weight loss really hahaha :) Just to think, if you'd started this last jan, a 1.5lb a week loss would have give you a 5 1/2 stone weight loss by now - it all adds up ;) Let's see what next week brings, it's all still too up in the air right now, you know how first weeks are!

Anyway, i'm proud of you. This time, it's for life. Have you set some mini goals? I do the '1 stone, half stone' thing but I like to say 'when I get in to the next stone bracket' and 'when I fit back into those trousers'. It helps me the most! Also, do you have challenges? Mine this week was to do 3 lots of exercise. Next week is going to be tightening up on superfree and increasing it as the bigger sector of my plate.

Logan is up to my shoulders now. Granted, i'm a midget - but gah! I tried to sneak in a love on my lap but it felt bizarre, like a grown man settling on me.

I'm definitely not happy with that fat picture staring at me everytime I come visit. It will scare people away from your diary!! :)

Fair enough Mel, you should have left the story though x

Arrgh, bad evening yesterday (not bad eating just late) because of work related stuff I ended up eating at a ridiculously late time which isn't good. It was about 10.30 when I had tea.

Thursday 18/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – .

Lunch – .Pineapple and a peach – scrambled eggs and smoked salmon

Dinner – .Very bad didn’t eat until really late, food wasn’t bad though: Cauliflower and broccoli soup, chicken salad with olives (1) and 3 sliced cold new potatoes through it.
½ Mullerlight (because I dropped the bloody thing on the floor)
Snack – .2 crackerbread (2)

Hex A and B – .Hi –Fi bars, Babybel Light x 3

Syns – .olives (1) + crackerbread (2) + Alpen light (3) + Options drink (2) = 8

Friday and Saturday's meals. I have a busy week coming up, just as well that yesterday was lazy. I did make soup and breakfast tortilla but I need to start trying some new recipes.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend x

Friday 19/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – .Banana

Lunch – .mince curry (with veg) and cauliflower rice

Dinner – .very lean lamb steak with Moroccan spice, low fat super noodles, lots of mixed salad.
Greek Mullerlight ( ½ syn)
Snack – .fruit.

Hex A and B – .Alpen Light x 2, semi skim milk (measured)

Syns – .Special K chewy delight bar (6) + Options drink (2)

Saturday 19/01/13 – Easy Extra
Breakfast – . Breakfast tortilla – I slice (contains mushrooms, spring onions, peppers, baby sweetcorn, egg, total 0% yoghurt, 2 spoons cottage cheese, turkey rashers and lean bacon (no fat) with 3 Laughing cow light on top) + 2 LM rosemary and red onion sausages

Lunch – .1 slice above tortilla, broccoli and cauliflower soup, bowl fruit (peach , pineapple, raspberries)

Dinner – .Being lazy – had Quorn sticky fillets, massive mixed salad + olives (1) , pasta n sauce made with water and 2x Laughing cow light
Mullerlight
Snack – .banana

Hex A and B – .Laughing cow light (about 3 of them), Hi –fi bars

Syns – .Options drink (2) + Olives (1) + Alpen Light (3) + Cadbury Light mousse (3) = 9

Back