Reduced Fat Cheese

Wegle

Hello

According to my Slimming World book you can now have 45g of reduced fat cheddar. However I bought the Free Branded Foods 2012 book at group last night and this has a whole section on healthy extras but all the reduced fat cheeses in there say you can only have 40g, even Kerry Low Low cheese. The only one that says you can have 45g is the Tesco Half Fat cheese, so which book is right?

Thanks

I would say the main slimming world book as I know it was updated at the beginning of the year and it took a while for the website to follow. If you go to class check with your consultant.

Both of the books are the 2012 ones so would have been updated at the beginning of the year. I will check with my consultant but she's not normally that up to date with the latest info (thank god for minimins!).

My cynical side says this is a sneaky trick by slimming world. Saying you can have 45g of reduced fat cheddar but not stating that it is only one type. I bought some Co-op lighter mature cheddar (30% less fat) last week and have been merrily having 45g for a healthy extra portion but when I look in the free foods book it says you should only have 35g of this particular cheese. If you take into account that I have cheese as a healthy extra everyday (sometimes twice) over the last week I have over eaten on cheese by 80g! No wonder I stayed the same this week!

Both of the books are the 2012 ones so would have been updated at the beginning of the year. I will check with my consultant but she's not normally that up to date with the latest info (thank god for minimins!).

My cynical side says this is a sneaky trick by slimming world. Saying you can have 45g of reduced fat cheddar but not stating that it is only one type. I bought some Co-op lighter mature cheddar (30% less fat) last week and have been merrily having 45g for a healthy extra portion but when I look in the free foods book it says you should only have 35g of this particular cheese. If you take into account that I have cheese as a healthy extra everyday (sometimes twice) over the last week I have over eaten on cheese by 80g! No wonder I stayed the same this week!

80g of cheese is about 300 calories. Thats about 1/11th of a pound (a pound being 3500 calories). I promise you it wont have had any effect whatsoever on your weight loss this week ;)

80g of cheese is about 300 calories. Thats about 1/11th of a pound (a pound being 3500 calories). I promise you it wont have had any effect whatsoever on your weight loss this week ;)

But if you take into account that these calories should have been synned that comes to 15 syns that I have had over and above my weekly allowance. I know in the big scheme of things it isn't a lot over but I only have 1 stone to lose and it seems that the closer you are to target weight the more strict you have to be. And it's the principle as well. I believed I had been 100% on plan all week but it turns out that I may not have been due to inconsistencies and possible mis-information in the slimming world books.

I think I'll drop an email to Slimming World to try and get a definitive answer on this cheese business. I'm not fussed if it is a lower amount I just want to know for sure what I should be sticking to and if I need to check the weights depending on where I buy my reduced fat cheddar.

But if you take into account that these calories should have been synned that comes to 15 syns that I have had over and above my weekly allowance. I know in the big scheme of things it isn't a lot over but I only have 1 stone to lose and it seems that the closer you are to target weight the more strict you have to be. And it's the principle as well. I believed I had been 100% on plan all week but it turns out that I may not have been due to inconsistencies and possible mis-information in the slimming world books.

I think I'll drop an email to Slimming World to try and get a definitive answer on this cheese business. I'm not fussed if it is a lower amount I just want to know for sure what I should be sticking to and if I need to check the weights depending on where I buy my reduced fat cheddar.

Some weeks we just stay the same, or even gain, for no particular reason, it's not the cheese that's done it :D You're very close to target and deserve a massive congrats for doing that! :clap: But syns/HEXes and all that are only a guideline to help us learn to eat more healthily, 5g of cheese a day really isnt going to make a difference. When they changed all the HEXes at the beginning of the year, some you got a few grams more of, some a few grams less, but people didn't suddenly put on a lb a week just because they could have an extra 5g of cereal (even close-to-target members ;) ) You've done really well already, dont punish yourself so much! x

Slimming world wouldn't do that, as although while we're not at target we're paying for the service, who would carry on paying if the service didn't work?

Also anything non-branded that's listed is necessarily just an average to give you a general idea. Its a bit like saying a Chinese such as chow mein or whatever is xxx syns - its impossible to know what would be in any particular chow mein, so its an average to just give you a rough idea. if your particular cheddar isn't listed then you use the average syn/HEX value for "cheddar" which will at least give you a rough idea whether you should use 10g, 30g, 100g or a kilo etc. :)

Also anything non-branded that's listed is necessarily just an average to give you a general idea. Its a bit like saying a Chinese such as chow mein or whatever is xxx syns - its impossible to know what would be in any particular chow mein, so its an average to just give you a rough idea. if your particular cheddar isn't listed then you use the average syn/HEX value for "cheddar" which will at least give you a rough idea whether you should use 10g, 30g, 100g or a kilo etc. :)

I get that an average figure would be best because it would be stupid to list them all but I've now had a good look through all the reduced fat cheddars and only 1 is 45g the rest are 40g or 35g so that 45g figure is not an average.

I think I'm just one of those people's that sees things very black and white. There's either a rule or there isn't. I'm not good with wishy washy around abouts. And until I know that I am doing something 100% right I can't feel comfortable with it. Hopefully Slimming world will come back to me soon because this week I bought Asda lighter cheddar and this isn't listed at all in the branded book.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

It's because you can have 45g of HALF fat where as 40g of REDUCED fat cheese there is a difference hence why you can have more!
It used to be a set amount for any reduced fat cheese half fat or not!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It's because you can have 45g of HALF fat where as 40g of REDUCED fat cheese there is a difference hence why you can have more!
It used to be a set amount for any reduced fat cheese half fat or not!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My book clearly says 45g REDUCED FAT CHEDDAR nothing about half fat and no clarification that reduced fat actually means half fat. I'm still waiting to hear back from Slimming World on this one.

Hi Wegle, please keep me updated on the outcome, i have cheese everyday and hate the thought that i could be doing it wrong, at the same time i dont want to give up 5g if i dont have to...very precious im sur you'd agree...thanks

Has anyone heard back from SW about the cheeses, as I either use Cathedral City Lighter or Tesco Reduced fat cheese & always have 45g!!!

Has anyone heard back from SW about the cheeses, as I either use Cathedral City Lighter or Tesco Reduced fat cheese & always have 45g!!!

Hi Kim

I've not had anything back from SW yet, if they haven't got back to me by the end of the week I will email again. I'll make sure to keep the thread updated.

xx

Hi Kim

I've not had anything back from SW yet, if they haven't got back to me by the end of the week I will email again. I'll make sure to keep the thread updated.

xx

Thanks Wegle.

Out of interest I worked out the Syns for 45g of Tesco's Lighter Cheese & it worked out at 6.8 syns, which is normally/roughly a Hex & as a lot of people have said its not going to do too much damage having a few extra gramms. But, Im with you on this one, as I like things in black & white & its the principle of it all!
Ref emailing SW, I emailed them about a month ago ref something in last months magazine & have heard nothing back from them, so good luck! x

I've cut my cheese down to 40g as I get cathedral city lighter and it does say on the healthy extra's online that its 40g, but up until this week I've been having 45g... I doubt those 5gs will make much difference but at least now I know I'm def following the plan properly.

Haven't seen it on offer for a while so might end up having to get full fat and just having 30g of cheese

Did anyone ever hear back from sw ?? Iv just bout some aldi 30% reduce fat mature cheddar but havent had any yet ?

Back