Refusing food when offered

BijouHope

I have mentioned before that I am working through Judith Beck's "The Beck Diet Solution" in parallel with my Exante diet, and I know that some of you have also been reading this book. I have now reached Day 29, and I can't help disagreeing with today's message. What I can't decide is whether this is a "sabotaging thought", or whether the book is just plain wrong! So I thought I'd ask you lovely Exante-ers for your thoughts.

I have no problem with the general principle that we should resist what the book rather ungraciously calls "food pushers" by refusing the food they offer, regardless of the effort they have put into preparing it. But I can't help disagreeing with one of the central arguments. The book says that it we are entitled to work towards our weight loss goals as long as we aren't trying to make others feel bad in the process (fine), and that it's OK to disappoint others by turning them down (not so fine). Apparently, we should value our own disappointment (in deviating from our diet) above that of our host (in turning down their food).

To be honest, I consider that to be ill-mannered rather than inspiring. The message of today's chapter in the book isn't about learning how to handle taking a small socially-acceptable portion of something off-plan, but instead insists that we turn down the food altogether, regardless of the offence that it might cause. The theory is that the offence is slight in comparison to the inconvenience to ourselves.

Of course, there are occasions when turning down food is appropriate. The examples that the author cites all seem to be about large gatherings of people, where the actions of any one individual are probably not so prominent or important. And if you're with close friends or family who know that you are following a particular eating plan, then it seems fair enough to turn down food that they know you have previously decided not to eat. Sometimes, as well, you can get away with just saying "no thank you" or hinting at a medical reason for not eating something.

But I hoped this section would help with other situations, where someone has gone to immense trouble to prepare something special for you in particular. The only suggestion the book has to make is that you can say it looks delicious and ask to take some of it home with you to eat later, without eating any of it when it is presented. Well, that just seems rude.

Logically, coming from my mindset and not that of the book, the only option is to take a small amount of the food and enjoy it, then get back on plan immediately and rigidly. But I have always found it very hard to get back on track after that sort of deviation, especially if it is unexpected and I can't plan it all in my mind in advance.

Gah! I know that most food situations aren't so socially or emotionally complex, and that the truly difficult cases probably crop up only a couple of times a year. But they do crop up. How do you handle them?

Hmmm, I totally see where you're coming from there! It's a tough one. You have the right absolutely to refuse food that you're offered, and of course your number one goal is to not put on weight, but to reduce it. So, perhaps there's middle ground here? From what I've read/hear, if you're going out somewhere where this situation is likely, call ahead and either ask what's being served or let the person know that you're on a restricted diet at present (You don't have to say you're dieting, it could be anything you're on if it's restricted) and say that you can't eat whatever it is. Most people wouldn't be thrilled to hear you broke a strict diet just to make them happy (they are trying to make YOU happy by offering you food), so that would be a lose lose situation in my book. Also, you can say you're a super fussy eater, and then pick and choose what you have, rather than have all of what they offer (middle ground??).

It's a bit of a grey area. Personally I went through that at the weekend, when I was invited to a birthday party. I ended up mentioning to one person that I was on a diet and explained but no one else knew. If anyone asked, I just said I had eaten before I left home and wasn't hungry. I was then able to 'please' them with the acceptance of an offer for some (herbal) tea.

Just my thoughts anyway....

In reading it too and it's been very helpful so far. I know why you mean about that chapter, it sounds like a bit of a minefield area.

I get the feeling she is aiming that chapter more at the people pleasers who will accept any food regardless of amount or if its good for their diet. I picture someone doing really well on their weight loss and then going round to their mum in laws who tries to push various cakes and biscuits on them. That's a good situation to say no thank you. I personally just wouldn't go to any dinner dates where something was made for me because then yes it would be rude, like if you went for afternoon tea for your birthday at friends house and they made a cake for you and you turned it down. I'm having a family hen do at the end of July and I know my sister in law is making me cupcakes for it, so I won't refuse one of those because its my event that I've organised and its an afternoon tea, so it's silly to turn down food.

But of a grey area me thinks! X

Sounds like you'll need to make the decision as and when it arises. To be honest, the only time I really get pressured/offered food AND it's from someone I wouldn't dream of upsetting is by someone I am close with anyway (e.g. Mum, Sister, best friend) and I've shared with them that I'm on this diet anyway! I've refused food in other situations, like a work party last month where I went home early to avoid the Chinese.. but I'm not so bothered about offending those people! I'm sure you'll know what to do if/when the situations arise :)

You all have sound views on this situation. I too would either talk to the host involved beforehand if I could (for instance we're having a girls night Friday night and everyone's happy to not eat out) or if the situation was a surprise, I'd be gracious and accept a small offering and/or ask to take some home for the human dustbin (whom I married). The only people I seriously have trouble with is my parents, they have absolutely no concept of food nutritional values (for weight control or the special dietary needs of my daughter!) Then I do have to say no, and be firm, because they will keep pushing; oh it's only a small donut (!) or there's nothing in ice cream except milk & ice (!!) or just one meal a day is ok - a mountainous roast dinner with all the trimmings (!!!) I think they now sort of understand - they can't believe I've lost 20+lbs (cos they can never lose more than a few pounds) they are somewhat in awe and have finally stopped trying to feed me! You've got to judge each situation as it arises and do your best. Good to think about these things.

Hmmm. Interesting comments, everyone. It's a bit difficult. The point of the Beck thing is that you plan and rehearse strategies for dealing with situations before you need them, then you use those strategies when the circumstances arise (it's based on cognitive behaviour therapy). Basically, it involves brainwashing yourself in advance, rather than relying on spontaneous reaction to events. But I think it's probably true that this section of the book is aimed at people who will eat anything that is presented to them on any occasion, rather than handling the specifics of a genuinely difficult situation which will probably crop up only rarely.

There is no scope for deviation on Total Solution, so I think my first-line plan for truly unavoidable awkward scenarios will be to stick to low-carb and low-calorie if possible, or to a very tiny portion if not (perhaps thinking of Working Solution or Simple Solution instead), and not to allow that single exception to affect the strict application of the rest of the plan in all other respects.

I see that Day 30 tackles eating out, including (amongst other things) how to return to restricted eating after over-indulging, so I think I might merge that in my head with Day 29's material on resisting food pushers. Thank you for the feedback!

Little victory: (another) catered training school at work, took a bite of mini choc brownie, but SPAT IT OUT!!!! Obviously not when anyone was looking, and I had really wanted it when it was offered, but I overcame the pressure, social situation, and craving with more will-power than I ever thought was possible :) (completely surprised myself!)

Well done!! That takes some willpower!

I would say I have already ate, when realistically are we ever in a situation when someone will have went to alot of trouble to cook for you without you knowing? x

when realistically are we ever in a situation when someone will have went to alot of trouble to cook for you without you knowing? x
A couple of times a month, in my case.

Back