Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Today I'm wearing my poppy with pride. Thank you to all of the soldiers, past and present, that have dedicated their lives to fighting for this country. Today we remember those who didn't make it home, and pray for those who are still away that they make it home safely. You are the greatest heroes of all.

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, we will remember them xx

People in my office talked the whole way through the 2 minute silence. People were on the phone. It makes me really really cross, the lack of respect.
I know people are busy and just forget, or it doesn't even cross their minds but COME ON!!!

I was silent and shed a tear, as I do each year, as I remember my best friend. xx I remember her every day, but this is so poignant for me.

I'm wearing my poppy too & thinking of all those families & friends who've lost their loved ones. I had a little cry at the tv this morning when a lady was talking about her husband who was killed leaving behind a 5 and 3 year old!! XXX

I had to bollock a couple of younger work colleagues for giggling during the two minutes (afterwards of course).

I also had to put them right that it was NOT some Americanism brought over here like "trick-or-treating":eek:

What the hell do they teach kids nowadays?:mad:

The wives choir were brilliant at the royal Albert hall ceremony.

Remembering those that fell and their families

I had to bollock a couple of younger work colleagues for giggling during the two minutes (afterwards of course).

I also had to put them right that it was NOT some Americanism brought over here like "trick-or-treating":eek:

What the hell do they teach kids nowadays?:mad:

That makes me so sad (the giggling, not the fact that you bollocked them!)

I work as a member of the support staff for a local high school/sixth form college, and the Remembrance Service there is an important part of the yearly calendar. Pupils sell poppies in the school for a few weeks beforehand. Two year groups from years 7 - 9 attend. Representatives from the local Royal British Legion also attend, together with local Normandy veterans. Past members of school staff, and representatives from local churches are also invited, although it is not a 'religious' service , but very much a service to honour and remember. During the year there is a school trip to Ypres, organised by the Humanities department. The children who go on this trip are encouraged to produce poetry, prose, art-work, musical compositions, presentations etc., about their visit and how it affected them. They are also encouraged to show and present these to other pupils. Some of these works are then selected for the Remembrance Day Assembly. I am always touched by the work that the pupils produce.

We have an international partnership with a school in Germany, and staff and pupils from that school attend every year and also take part in the service, with their own poems, readings and other work.

There is also considerable time spent in lessons on the subject of wars, their history, the sacrifices made by so many, and the importance of forging links with other countries and cultures to look to the future. Visiting speakers who are refugees displaced from their own country by war and conflict also visit the school during the year to give presentations to pupils.

Because of the date of 11/11/11 this year, the theme for the lesson study was 'numbers', looking at war from the viewpoint of numbers, - eg: the number of casualties and then extending that to realise that every 'one' of those numbers was a real person, and what that really means.

It is always a moving service, and the whole school honours the 11.00 o'clock silence, (after a member of the school orchestra plays the Last Post,) whether in the assembly, or in normal lessons.

The highlight for me this year was after the service when four of our pupils, who are members of the youth ATC, formed a guard of honour as the veterans left the assembly. One of the veterans saw them, stopped, straightened up, and saluted them, and they returned the salute - definitely a lump in the throat moment!

Like everyone else I moan about my job sometimes, but at times like this I am as proud of those kids as if they were my own!

I don't suppose this is the norm in schools nowadays? Perhaps it should be...

That makes me so sad (the giggling, not the fact that you bollocked them!)

I work as a member of the support staff for a local high school/sixth form college, and the Remembrance Service there is an important part of the yearly calendar. Pupils sell poppies in the school for a few weeks beforehand. Two year groups from years 7 - 9 attend. Representatives from the local Royal British Legion also attend, together with local Normandy veterans. Past members of school staff, and representatives from local churches are also invited, although it is not a 'religious' service , but very much a service to honour and remember. During the year there is a school trip to Ypres, organised by the Humanities department. The children who go on this trip are encouraged to produce poetry, prose, art-work, musical compositions, presentations etc., about their visit and how it affected them. They are also encouraged to show and present these to other pupils. Some of these works are then selected for the Remembrance Day Assembly. I am always touched by the work that the pupils produce.

We have an international partnership with a school in Germany, and staff and pupils from that school attend every year and also take part in the service, with their own poems, readings and other work.

There is also considerable time spent in lessons on the subject of wars, their history, the sacrifices made by so many, and the importance of forging links with other countries and cultures to look to the future. Visiting speakers who are refugees displaced from their own country by war and conflict also visit the school during the year to give presentations to pupils.

Because of the date of 11/11/11 this year, the theme for the lesson study was 'numbers', looking at war from the viewpoint of numbers, - eg: the number of casualties and then extending that to realise that every 'one' of those numbers was a real person, and what that really means.

It is always a moving service, and the whole school honours the 11.00 o'clock silence, (after a member of the school orchestra plays the Last Post,) whether in the assembly, or in normal lessons.

The highlight for me this year was after the service when four of our pupils, who are members of the youth ATC, formed a guard of honour as the veterans left the assembly. One of the veterans saw them, stopped, straightened up, and saluted them, and they returned the salute - definitely a lump in the throat moment!

Like everyone else I moan about my job sometimes, but at times like this I am as proud of those kids as if they were my own!

I don't suppose this is the norm in schools nowadays? Perhaps it should be...
Cracking post Moonwatcher. Restores my faith somewhat. Perhaps the younger (i.e. school children) appreciate it more than some of the older ones.

i was doing supply cover in year 1 (5-6 year olds) on friday and i was amazed at how much they had learnt about the significance of this day and they all did 2 minutes silence without any disruption!

by the sounds of it these could show a few grown ups a thing or two....

on the subject a school in a village just up the road all the children made a plaque for each of those who lost their lives as some disrespecting no mark decided to rob the plaques!! i just like to thing no scrap metal company has stooped so low to even take them, its appalling! but those in the village were grateful of the efforts that the school
and children had gone too to ensure that those who lost their lives were respected an remembered! x

Cracking post Moonwatcher. Restores my faith somewhat. Perhaps the younger (i.e. school children) appreciate it more than some of the older ones.

Definitely some of the older ones, but not all.
I am one of the 'older ones', and I am disgusted that anyone would find it acceptable to giggle at such a time.

I have a lot of friends in the armed forces, most of whom are out serving in Afghan as we speak. I think about them every day, and pray that they return home to us safely. These people, in the armed forces that have dedicated and risk their lives on a day to day basis for our country, are genuine heroes. Anyone that can't recognize that ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I took my girls age 9 and 11 to our village church for the remembrance service as both girls had been studying the second world war so it ment more to them.

It was very powerful. The village had researched how and what battles each soldier from the first and second world war had died, where they lived in the village etc and it bought it to life and made it very real indeed and they said a bit about each one as they read the roll call. I felt very humble but proud my village was recognising the sacrifice these lads had made for them, some living in the very houses the lads came from. What powerful stuff.

I run Brownie and Rainbow units and each year we are part of a Remembrance parade with Scouts and Army cadets etc. This was the first year that Rainbows (5-7 year olds) had been allowed to parade and they did so well. They knew why it was important to be quiet and made me feel so proud of them.

Back