Restarter - looking for info re risks

aformerbigloser

Hello to all,

Some years ago I was totally abstinent on VLCD with CD and lost a great deal of weight - over 10stone on the end.

The initial loss was huge and loss continued at a rapid rate.

I have since piled the weight back on... And I'm over 27st.

I want to return to VLCD.

My concern is whether or not there is any risk. Specifically around the effect that it might haven my heart... Is there anyone that can point meat any evidence either way about the potential risks? Can VLCD have a detrimental effect upon the muscle tissues of your heart.

Thanks in advance....

My main reason for asking is that I am now a dad to two wonderful boys and I won't a long and healthy life with them and their lovely mum. I don't want to do anything that might harm that futures ny more than I already have.

Sorry I can't give you the answers your looking for, but I just wanted to say well done losing all that weight in the past, I find it more motivating when you know you've done it before so it's possible.
Good luck on your journey and I hope someone can shed some light on the risks of VLCD for you :)

I'm not a medical expert and I suspect you'll get as many different replies as there are diets. Some people are pro VLCD and some are vehemently anti so you're bound to get conflicting opinions on this one.

I did a VLCD (Cambridge) back in 2006/07 and, like you, I lost 10st. Since then I've regained 5st of that and stuck there for the past 3 years. I've tried many times to get my head back into VLCD mode but failed miserably every time. I'm aware there are some risks associated with a VLCD (gallstones being one) - not sure on the risk to the heart but I'm pretty sure if there was a significant risk, VLCD companies wouldn't be given the licence to sell it.

What I do is to weigh up the risks of being morbidly obese against the risks of being on a VLCD. Being on a VLCD comes out tops every time. Plus, within a week or so of being on one, my blood sugars drop which is good as far as my diabetes is concerned - my blood pressure also dropped last time (which has got to be beneficial and not detrimental to my health surely?)

I'd say that if you're at all concerned then see a GP - although if you're unlucky enough to see an anti VLCD one then you'll be on a non-starter. One of the GPs at my surgery lost 4st on Cambridge so they were pretty positive about it when I first embarked upon Cambridge.

You could also consider a slightly higher step than complete sole sourcing - in my experience, total abstinence is MUCH tougher the second, third, fourth time around. You could still achieve results very close to sole sourcing on the 810 programme. Good luck on whatever you decide.

RD

Back