Roasting chicken

Spotty Teapot

I know that it is ok to have chicken drumsticks etc if you remove the skin and any visible fat, but is it ok to cook it with the skin on and then remove it, or must it be removed prior to cooking to be a free food?

Thank you xx

I cook with skin on and then remove, it's never made any difference to me - but I don't know what the official line is, that's just me, however you then have to try and resist that nice, tasty, crispy, juicy skin!! mmm

I Roast it with the skin on too and remove it afterwards. The meat never seems to have absorbed any of the fat, as it all runs off into the pan.

Roasting without the skin would make for very dry chicken!

Official line is that it is absolutely fine to roast with the skin on and discard afterwards. I've seen several recipes in SW books and magazines that do it this way - including the "7 days to success" booklet I got with my starter pack when I joined.

To make absolutely sure I'm not accidently consuming extra fat, my roasting tin has a rack so that the chicken (or meat joint) isnt sitting in the fat when it's roasting.

If I cook a whole chicken I remove the skin after cooking (it kills me to throw it away because I love it hot and crispy!) but if I'm doing chicken drumsticks or thighs, I remove the skin before cooking.

I'm making the spicy drumsticks from the magazine tonight :)

Am I the only person who really can't stand chicken skin?
If It's come from a certain 3 lettered chicken establishment then fine, but plain roast chicken skin? YUCK!!!

I give the cooked skin to the cat - he's grateful, and it means he's less likely to leave random field animal parts on the floor in the night if he's had some!

I give the cooked skin to the cat - he's grateful, and it means he's less likely to leave random field animal parts on the floor in the night if he's had some!

That just made me laugh! and also thankful that i let my cat in and out as we dont have a cat flap cos our doors are glass and we live in a flat (ground floor) so i can see if she intends to bring anything in!!

Nope, I hate the skin as well! I cook it with skin on cos hubby likes it, then just take every scrap off for me!

i never eat chicken skin or any type of fat on meat makes my stomach churn always been funny like that my oh loves to nick it off my plate lol

Am I the only person who really can't stand chicken skin?
If It's come from a certain 3 lettered chicken establishment then fine, but plain roast chicken skin? YUCK!!!
No you're not! it is absolutely riddled with grease/fat/oil and i'd sooner eat my own arm!

Probably like eating a lard sandwich:p

Why anyone would even consider the skin when there's breast to be demolished is beyond me lol.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one! TBH I'm not overly keen of chicken on the bone at all so usually only buy skinless breasts. When I cook them I wrap them in a little foil parcel and they are never dry! I still like to slice them up before putting them on the plate as it seems to look like more!

I just bought a roasting tray with rack for £2.50 from morrisons if anyones interested

Back