Rotisserie Chickens

debbywebby1970

Silver Member
Rotisserie Chickens...........
Well, this has been discussed here quite a lot, the fact that they are injected with things... I was talking to my consultant about it and she said that yes, Asda inject oils into theirs but that the Tesco ones are fine. ! ! !! If thats true it would be fantastic cos they are so handy sometimes....
Would any of you risk a Tesco one or not. Im thinking that I may avoid them anyway, just to be on the safe side.

This is all new to me - I buy Sainsburys and Tesco's hot chickens quite a lot and it had never occurred to me. It'd be great if someone could let me know. Ta :sigh:

My SWC just said to us all that all supermarket bought ones were injected with fat/oil/yuk and to avoid them, but shop bought raw ones were fine if you cooked them at home.

I think I'm tempted to avoid all supermarket rotiserrie chickens no matter what else I hear. What a disgusting thought lol

I buy Tesco ones occasionally and will continue to do so. I think even if they are injected with fat it's because it drips out when they are on the rotisserie thingy. I don't eat the skin which has sugar in the stuff that makes it brown.
I usually roast my own chicken but I will still buy the hot chicken now and again wothout worrying.

I was wondering about this the other day!!

The problem is they are quite handy to grab and have with a salad or for dinner without having to wait hours for a normal chicken to cook! I suppose if you were only having them once in a while it wont hurt but if you are eating them all the time i would add on a few syns!

I used to love these but no longer buy them as they are not usually free range.

Why not ask at the chicken counter (assuming they have one) if the chickens have been injected? I would hope that they would know, perhaps they have an ingredients list?

I agree with Jaylou, and never knowingly buy chicken that is not free range. Having my own hens for eggs has taught me alot about chucks and I wish them all to have happy healthy outdoor lives.

It is more expensive but so much better for the chickens and us!

I do occassionly buy a Tesco cooked chicken because they are so quick, just serve a bit of salad with it, and you have a quick meal - but I don't think I shall be buying any more, it makes you wonder what else they may inject into the chicken.....

HI

Sorry to burst your happy bubbles but the chickens that are cooked in store are syns and are high. Some have injected oils and flavours and others are heavy basted in fats & oils. Cook your own and remove the skins is the best way.

Phil x

I work at Morrisons in the poultry room, the chickens are exactly the same as the ones that are sold pre packed in the shop, apart from we get them in cases of 10. The plain ones have nothing added except water, (which bulks them up.) and the Extra Tasty have brine in them, which as far as i'm aware is just salt and water. (both free.) I get the rotisserie chicken breasts for lunch at work on original days and eat them less the skin. This has had no detrimental effect on my weight loss so far. Champix tablets on the other hand..don't even go there!

My consulant says just stay away from extra tasty as they have fat injected inside them. The other flavoured varieties are sprinkled on the skin & as long as you don't eat that you will be fine.

I work at Morrisons in the poultry room, the chickens are exactly the same as the ones that are sold pre packed in the shop, apart from we get them in cases of 10. The plain ones have nothing added except water, (which bulks them up.) and the Extra Tasty have brine in them, which as far as i'm aware is just salt and water. (both free.) I get the rotisserie chicken breasts for lunch at work on original days and eat them less the skin. This has had no detrimental effect on my weight loss so far. Champix tablets on the other hand..don't even go there!

Thanks Nano- really useful to know
x

believe me, we are not allowed anywhere near them with a needle...

Makes sense to me! Can't imagine a supermarket would let people be seen or endorse 'injecting' chickens! You could be injecting it with anything! Major health & safety issue...

Well, i wouldnt call talking about a supermarket chicken a 'happy bubble' LMAO....I havent bought one of these chickens in years.... but I think its helpful to pass on to each other any info given...
And thank you to Nano....that was really informative...........x

HI

Sorry to burst your happy bubbles but the chickens that are cooked in store are syns and are high. Some have injected oils and flavours and others are heavy basted in fats & oils. Cook your own and remove the skins is the best way.

Phil x

Nano, that's really really useful info thanks!

Re: brine: SW suggest no more than 1/2 teaspoon of salt per day for optimum weight loss, so even though no fat is added, brine would up your salt content. Same with tinned tuna and all convenience foods, eg pasta n sauce. This being the case, I suggest that this means Slimming World think you should (I paraphrase) eat these in moderation, for 'emergencies' and use them as an 'added bonus' to the plan for when you're too tired/busy to cook, but not all the time?

What does everyone else think?

PS rotisserie chickens were once my weigh-day meal of choice! *cry* may as well just go the chippy and get me beef mushroom and rice by the sounds of it!

i have a friend who works in sainsburys-i have asked her if she knows how they do theirs,but the morrisons are looking good so far-shame my nearest one is a 15 minute drive away,hardly makes it a convenience food!!

True but who knows what happens to them before they arrive in the shop!

Very true, I hope somewhat naively that nothing does, but I honestly wouldn't know. Three names of farms i'm not entirely sure whether they are farms or suppliers is Banham, Sun Valley and Woodvale. They all supply Morrisons with chicken to cook and sell uncooked. Worth researching maybe?

hello, Jane asked me about our chickens (i work at Sainsburys) and it depends on your store.

If you ask in store, they will tell you whether the chickens are cooked from raw or not. The raw ones are not injected and dont have anything added to the skin unless they are flavoured. Some stores (like ours used to be) are not set up for cooking from raw, and they get what we call "pre-cook" chickens which arrive part cooked and are cooked for the remaining 45 minutes rather than the full 1h 30mins that the raw are cooked for. They are treated with preservatives on the skin, but again arent injected with anything.

I dont do SW, i do WW but i often have our chickens (which are much better than Tescos :p) and i still manage to lose weight if i stick to my plan :)

also, for anyone with a family, just thought i would drop in a reminder that we have a meal deal on - whole chicken (for you on SW :p), portion of pork, sage and onion stuffing and two portions of roast potatoes for a fiver :) (sorry, those two arent syn free but the rest of your family could eat them :D)

and if you come to Team Valley shop you'll even get a smile from me :D haha! x

Back