Run down, depression and exhausted most of the time.

Hi again Trying

Just called in to see how things went at the doctors today. Also noticed your other thread about Venlafaxine. I remember that the venlafaxine is considered to be one of the more stronger antidepressants in terms of ability to lift mood and have heard of many having a good result with it, but have no personal experience of it re weight.

Also just wanted to chip in about the Low carb that Katie mentioned. Katie is active in the Atkins forum as I am which is a low carb diet. Just wanted to say that normally eating more protein makes you full, as least it seems to with many of us doing low carb/ atkins. I have to say I am very rarely hungry on low carb and it isn't all just eating meat, you get to eat veg too, just lower carb veg. I eat more now than I used to. Maybe worth considering but all depends on how much you love your carbs like pasta etc as to if it would be for you. Take a look around the atkins forum if you want to know more about low carbing. Dukan is another low carb diet, but that is also low fat, but maybe worth looking at.
The main thing is sorting out what is going on for you though. So please let us know how you got on today at docs. Hope it went well.

Hi, just letting you know had the dreaded blood test at the hospital this morning. They really struggled to get a vein as they said I was so nervous my veins had shut down. After trying in both arms and even my hand which nearly made me jump out of my chair they finally called someone else in and managed to get some out of my left arm.

Was glad to get out of there and glad its over and done with.

As for low carbs, Im planning more red days this week as agree that too many carbs are not too good for me. May well try one of the plans you mentioned. Thanks for the advice :)

I eat wholemeal bread and only sometimes the odd white rollnow and then, also avoid white pasta and rice and have wholemeal pasta and brown rice, dont eat much rice but have pasta about once or twice a a week.

Good to hear the venlafaxine sounds like it works, going to start taking them at the weekend when not at work.

Thanks again and hope its all going ok for you, will let you know what the results are when get them x

Interesting thread :) I have a lot of similar symptoms that I've been putting down to being run down as I'm a carer to my autistic son plus my other two kids? I'm also exhausted lethargic and have the worlds most useless immune system!! If there's a germ going I swear my body just sucks it in!!!
I've been back to dieting for several weeks now and I'm quite worried that on the few occasions I've 'treated' myself I've reacted very badly to the sugar? IE a massive crash and being dizzy, and incredibly sleepy? I'm fine with a few squares of dark choc say but I had a cadbury flake the one night and felt awfull. I had to sleep it off for an hr?
I'm wondering how normal this is??

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi chocolate and other sweet stuff has that affect on me too, if I have chocolate it gives me a short burst of energy then a slump after a short time. Trying not to eat it too often. Hope you manage to sort it.

Would strongly suggest that you at least do GI and see how that works. Sugar ups and downs are a disaster for both your energy and immune system!

I found GI diet really liberating - i could still eat pasta and bread just the healthier version! The problem for me is that it didn't take away my cravings so i could eat far too many nuts, fruit etc and then still be starving mid afternoon. I always said i could give up anything except pasta - but for me i am now clear that my body and carbs, especially sugar, are not a good mix!!

Good luck finding what suits your body best:)

Thanks Katie

Just wondering is low GI similar to red days on slimming world being as have less carbs and more protein those days?

Hey there TA. Hope you are feeling okay. Let us know how your bloods go. I got a HBA1C taken by my doctor, but he was a bit of an arsehole about it. I get blood sugar lows quite a lot thanks to my meds. I'm basically life dependant on them...so I'm feeling like I have to just shut up and put up with it.

I have to get my blood taken a lot and my veins are awful. Was on methotrexate long term and its trashed my veins. Hand samples are a regular thing for me, but last week the nurse had to take out of my knuckle. Good job i'm not at all bothered by needles eh! I'm on immunosuppressants, and I fully sympathise with how you are feeling. I get a cold and often it can take months to shift. :( Sometimes I feel like I'm falling apart.

Hope you get a resolution and the sickie goes away

Much love, Han xx

Hope your feeling better and the bloods give you some answers..

If your Dr isn't already testing for it can I suggest you ask to have your thyroid checked? (You tooo legomom).. I spent about 2-3yrs going back and forth th the Dr's before they got to the bottom of it.. As long as I take my meds I'm now fine :)

Hope you're feeling better. I take lots of medication for my mental health that made me pile on the lbs, although venlafaxine is one of the nicer meds for your weight.
I got real depressed and had no energy so just started little things like walking to the shop.... exercise really does make you feel better.

Hope you're feeling better. I take lots of medication for my mental health that made me pile on the lbs, although venlafaxine is one of the nicer meds for your weight.
I got real depressed and had no energy so just started little things like walking to the shop.... exercise really does make you feel better.

Love your name Regina. I just wanted to ecco what you said really, I too am on a couple of different meds and when you are low it is hard to excersise and stick to diet plans but I do mainly walking too, helped by the fact i have dogs that need walking, but I always walk for my shopping now (easy when you live near and not everyone has that I know) and walk pretty much every where I can. Excersise does help mood and I find that walking helps you think a bit clearer, maybe the fresh air I'm not sure but worth a try. Hope you are doing well Trying x

Thanks Han, not got the blood results yet. Think I have to phone in in a few days not looking forward to it.

Hope you manage to get things sorted too x

Hi Regina

Ive started doing a bit more walking literally make myself do 20 mins minimum most days at the moment.

Not started taking the venloflaxine yet bit scared they will make me worse as appartantley can make you feel worse for the first 3 weeks or so and really cant afford to get any worse. Hoping like you ay a bit of fresh air will help til Im able to start taking the tablets.

Hope your ok and well done on the walking I think it must help to have fesh air and a bit of deep breathing is calming x

Hi Rach

Not too bad, how are you? Agree what you say about walking I think it helps people to think clearer.

Im trying to get out in fresh air a bit more x

Hi Karen, I'm fine. Have you started taking the tablets yet? They don't make everyone feel worse initially, but often takes a while for you to feel them kicking in. Everyone is different really and the longer you put off taking them the harder its gonna be as you will build up your expections of possible side effects. If you decide you don't want to take them, thats fine it really is your choice, but if you do want to take them to try and feel a bit better then I've always found it easier just to take them and not build up to it. Having said that I tend to experience few side effects compared to some people, or maybe I just put things down to things other than medication. If you do tend to experience side effects I understand it will be hard to start taking them. Anyway I hope you are getting on well. Take care

Hi Rach

No not started them yet, but should soon. Just feel like heads all over the place as it is let alone adding to it also need to be able to function at work as handling money so got to keep a straight head.

ps, Your doing really well with your weekly weightlosses :) I reckon Ill stay the same when I weigh myself friday, which I spose is better than a gain :cool: x

Hi, trying.

Have you ever been tested for anaemia? Might be worth asking for a blood test for that.

That can cause low esteem and feeling of being run down.

X

Good luck with the tests

Hi Trying Again, just wanted to say not to worry too much if you are diagnosed with diabetes - I was four years ago and as long as you are sensible, you can manage it.

Also, the suggestion about anaemia is a good one - I also have pernicious anaemia, and many of your symptoms are what I experienced prior to both diagnoses - and now when I am coming up to the due date for my B12 injection (for the pernicious anaemia) I am an absolute mess.

Added to this that like you, I also suffer from depression and other health issues, losing weight it is a real fight to keep myself on track diet wise (particularly as I am a comfort eater), but I have found that losing weight has really boosted me, because I feel like at least I am in control of something, if that makes sense?

Anyway good luck, and I will keep checking to see how you are doing.

xx

Hi Karen, you might surprise yourself with weightloss, sometimes I feel heavier, but lose say 3lbs other times I can be really good and either STS or have a 1lb loss. You will get there but maybe need to be in the right place to go for it and as you said when your heads all over the place its hard enough focussing on things like work which has to be done. I hope you start to feel better soon x

Hi, trying.

Have you ever been tested for anaemia? Might be worth asking for a blood test for that.

That can cause low esteem and feeling of being run down.

X

Hi yes they`ve tested for anaemia plus did a full blood count along with glucose cholestrol etc.

The results will probably be in by now as was nearly 2 weeks ago had blood taken so should phone for the results today but feeling nervous :eek: x

Hi Rach and Veggie

I know what you mean about the weight being something we can atleast try and control even if its bloooomin hard work.

Friday is my weigh in day and this week was convinced Id gain so intended to scale dodge as didnt want to have that failure feeling that comes with a gain.

In the end I decided to brave it and get on them to find I`d lost one pound this week so pleased with that. Like you say Rach, you can feel like you`ve gained and I feel I have but the scales said something else which is fine by me so glad I braved it and got on them now.

Have a nice day, atleast its the end of the week finally :) x

Hi Trying-Again. I hope you got some answers you were looking for from the Doctor. If you feel fobbed off, see another Doctor in the surgery.

Did the symptoms of feeling run down start at the same time as restarting your diet?
The illnesses will also be sapping your strength.
Are your stress levels increasing, due to work or family life?
Are you taking any supplements, which may not be agreeing with you?

I will share my own recent experience:
Throughout May and June I felt exhausted all the time. I had lots of illnesses - headaches, colds, stomach upsets. I was ill for 6 weeks out of 9 - this was really out of character for me. The illnesses started at the same time I started a diet and started taking 5HTP (supplement to help sleeping, depression and suppress appetite).

I ignored the illnesses and in the end, I just ran out of energy. I went to the doctor and she said that I was suffering from work related stress - my stress levels had been increasing, until they got so high, I burn't out. I ended up feeling nothing!

After the diagnosis, I started to feel better. At least I did not have IBS or anything serious. I stopped taking the 5HTP and my company implemented some simple steps which have reduced my stress levels.

I hope you get the answers you need. In the meantime, rest when you can, add some extra food to your diet, to increase your energy levels. I would also recommend a health tonic - available from chemists, they contain vitamins.

Hi Karen, well done on the loss :clap:

Back