Running 5k in 30 min

BlowFish

I read somewhere that not everyone can run 5km in 30 min - and I believe they are right. However, I am also really, really stubborn so I really would like to try to get there.
Now, I have never really done much running - and due to vacation (and a million other excuses) I haven't done any exercise at all this year (yet), so I will have to start from the beginning... But I will challenge myself to see if I can get there by 15th August.
I will see if I can keep you updated in here - and if anyone would like to join that would be brilliant :)

Sounds good! Just did a pb of 32.02 - 1.32 off my precious pb! I'd love to be below 30 mins. I'm running a 10k (eek) in October so need to get a lot more comfortable within 5k!

Wow - that sounds amazing Lizs. You are very close to the 30 min :) My personal best is around 38 min, and that is a while ago.

Let me know how you progress with the 10k training :whacky068:

First week and first 2 run done, jubbbiiiii. I even notice myself smiling during the first run when the sun came up - that most be a good sign :worthy: Well, I did write 'run', however for normal runners it was properly closer to 'fast walking' (without comparing that to 'race walking'). But the positive was that no workers overtook me as I was there, I was breathing heavily and I did feel like running :whacky068:

This week the aim was just to run 20 min each time - and not measuring the distance. Next two weeks will (hopefully) be three runs a week of 30 min each, aiming at not laying flat on the floor dying for the next 30 min ;-) Lets see. Then week 4-6 will be 3k as fast as possible.

I am aware that all experts recommend that you start out with half running and half walking to avoid injuries. But I am just not a patient soul so I will have to just try it out...

Have you tried using the NHS couch to 5k programme? I downloaded the podcasts and that's how I started running in the first place. It was perfect for me as it started slowly and built up, as well as being free! Looking back I can't believe how unfit I was at the beginning - I used to wheeze through a minute of running and now I can run for an hour (but only if I'm slowly plodding on the treadmill - I find the treadmill a lot easier than running outside).

I did a slower 5k today (34.22) as my knees are a bit sore and I don't want to injure myself.

My husband is talking about upgrading my sports watch to get better data, so that's quite exciting. He says that I need to be training smarter and not harder - apparently you have to keep your heart rate in a certain zone for optimal training. I just do as I'm told to be honest!!!!!

Well today I decided to just go for it so ran 10k on the treadmill. I managed it in 1:07.52 so quite pleased with that. I actually feel alright too! Now to try and do it outside...!!

Hi Lizs, Thanks for your brilliant support. Yes, I tried couch to 5k-training program 1 1/2 year ago (not NHS but something very similar). Loved it - and that was the first time ever I was able to run 5k without walking between. However - even thought I know it is best for me - I just don't have the patience this time around :smoke:

Well today I decided to just go for it so ran 10k on the treadmill. I managed it in 1:07.52 so quite pleased with that. I actually feel alright too! Now to try and do it outside...!!
Well done - amazing time! You are almost ready for the race - and October is still quite a bit away :) Go for it!

So this week has been really bad on a personal level (all ok now though): but I have done absolute zero running! Oh dear, my goal for August is just getting closer and closer.... However, I have really not been up for running. But at least I have done two bike-trips for 30km each, so I don't fell awful awful - just really sad that I couldn't pull myself together to just get out the door!

Today however the boyfriend and I went to buy me a new running watch. So hopefully that will bring back a bit of motivation (yes I know, I'm such a girl - shopping is my main motivation, he he). My old running watch is almost 8 years old and could only keep the battery alive for 15-20 min, so it was no luxury to get a new. So this one is a TomTom with heart-rate-monitor build in, so I don't have to wear the strip (breast are often in the way :angeldevil:). Already feel much more motivated - can't wait to go and try it out :)

Good running-luck to the rest of you out there!

Week 3: This has been a great week. I managed to do my three runs as I was hoping for (yahoo). One for 1,5km, one for 2 km and finally first one for 3km. Haven't run that fare for more than a year, so feeling really good about myself :woohoo:

Next two weeks I will try stay on the same 3k route, and do my best to improve the speed. At the moment I'm still just major happy that no walkers are overtaking me when I do my run ;-) - but the plan will be that within the next 3-4 weeks I should be able to take over a few of the others runners (at least I hope, he he)

He says that I need to be training smarter and not harder - apparently you have to keep your heart rate in a certain zone for optimal training. I just do as I'm told to be honest!!!!!
I think your husband must be very wise ;) I love the heart rate measure on my new watch - even though at the moment I only use it to keep an eye on the level. But I will try to find out more as I think that could be helpful for getting better at some point.

Hey! I hope this thread is still alive. I just had my first go of the Couch to 5k app. I didn't do as well as I first hoped but kind of enjoyed it. Next go is on Monday!

Hi Theonlybonster,
No, the thread is not dead yet, I have just been off-the-net for a little while ;-) Soooooo brilliant for you, well done! You should be amazingly proud of yourself.
All beginning is hard, but just imagine with all the potential how much you can improve in just a few weeks. So all the best of luck to you on the road - and looking forward to read more about your progress.

Week 6: Haven't been that active writing lately, but I have kept up the running, which I'm happy with. I'm still doing 2 runs for 3 km each week - not much, but it sure feels great :) I am still just amazingly happy that I managed to run the 3km without stopping or walking as part of the tour. That is the great news.
Timewise, some might still say I'm more of at jogging trip than running - and that is true. Speed is absolut not impressive, at the moment I'm doing around 27 min for my 3km - but just imagine what that means for the chance to improve :wee: Getting that trip down to the expected 18km means I will be able to do improvements for many weeks, he he.

Well done on your improving fitness.

Keep up the good work:)

Wow. I do hope to be where you are some day. I love hearing about your progress.
The second go was meant to be done yesterday but we are doing it today instead and bringing the dog who seems to love it :)
I am proud but nervous today about going. No idea why!

It went much better than I thought. There was a slight improvement which is mad! Spent more time jogging than in pain o_O

Well done! It always feels impressive when it goes better than expected ;-) Such an amazing feeling, make sure to remember it for the less great days.

He he, and just remember, pain goes away after a while ;)

Had a really great run tonight: I thought my legs was to sore to run so it feels like I was close to giving up - but in the end I noticed that I had cut 1 1/4 min of the 3km :bunnydance: That was almost 25 sec per kilometer. Made me smile big times!
Hope you are all having a brilliant evening. Wish you the best of running :whacky068: ... or what ever you like doing...

Today was a disaster o_O
I got a stitch and had to walk through it. Wasn't happy with my run but its still better than nothing!

Well done BlowFish! :0clapper: That's amazing!

Back