Running

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Hi to everyone!

I'm starting back at class (slimming world) this week after a good few months off, in the mean time I've been doing some running on my treadmill.

I never really had a plan and sometimes I'd skip a week and notice the performance level decrease accordingly. I ran a race for life ages ago in about 35 mins and so ive just tried to get back to that and improve from there.

I was shocked to see only after a few weeks that I got to 30 mins non stop, my pace is slow as I can do 5k in just under 39 mins which I'd love to improve, that was 3 weeks ago and I've not run since, I'm a little scared at how backwards I've probably gone!

Just wondering if anyone's out there starting up running and would like to buddy up?

Any help and tips greatly received also!!!!

Hi Lucy

Congratulations on getting back into SW, and picking up running!

I started running earlier this year. Initially I could only do a maximum of 3 miles, but one day I went out with my sister and she pushed me to keep going to 4 miles. I think a buddy on here, or someone you can actually go out running with at home, really helps to keep you going and to motivate.

I'd also say it really helps to have an aim in mind, or be working towards something. Are there any races you could sign up for, maybe another 5k to see if you can get your time down, or a 10k if you want to push yourself some more? My aim has always been to increase my distance, initially I just wanted to be able to do 7 - 8 miles. But then I decided I needed another challenge and have just signed up to do my first half marathon to keep me on track, and have managed to run 12 miles today in training. There's a thread on here, about half marathon training, which, even if you are not thinking of running that distance, is really inspirational. I found reading through it really spurred me on to try and run more.

Hi Rachael,

Thanks so much for your reply, and your so right, it is good to have a goal and I think I need to think about what I want to achieve.

I can't run with others as I have a little one to look after and so I put him to bed and take the monitor inot the garage with me so I need support on here!

I shall have a look at the thread you mentioned but thanks so much for replying!!!!

I'd love to be a running buddy! I've just started running, i can do about 10 minutes in one go at the moment [not too much :sigh:] but im hoping if i stick with it a few times a week plus some work on the cross trainer, i'll get fitter in no time!!

keyboardcat said:
I'd love to be a running buddy! I've just started running, i can do about 10 minutes in one go at the moment [not too much :sigh:] but im hoping if i stick with it a few times a week plus some work on the cross trainer, i'll get fitter in no time!!

10 mins in one go is brill, it's more than some can do! Give yourself a pat on the back for it and look to improve, have you thought if a goal? Maybe 5k?? You could follow the couch to 5k plan?

Dr.B said:
Running is really a most effective workout for losing weight but you can't run more miles alone.For that you need a lot of motivation or if you have a buddy runner then I bet that you can run more than you run alone.

So how come I'm improving every time then?........

So how come I'm improving every time then?........

Dr B - I think you can easily increase mileage running alone. As you said, you need motivation, and I think that if you have enough motivation there is nothing to stop you. I started off only being able to run a mile or two with a friend. Over time it became clear that I could run faster than her, so we stopped running together and I have never looked back - I pushed myself to build my mileage each week and I am now 1 week away from running my first half marathon.

rachaeld82 said:
Dr B - I think you can easily increase mileage running alone. As you said, you need motivation, and I think that if you have enough motivation there is nothing to stop you. I started off only being able to run a mile or two with a friend. Over time it became clear that I could run faster than her, so we stopped running together and I have never looked back - I pushed myself to build my mileage each week and I am now 1 week away from running my first half marathon.

Well said!!!!!! X

Tiitanium said:
hows your running going? x

Hi there it's going good thank you!

On week 3 of a 10k programme and I did 2.5 miles on sat, it's 2 tonight and then 3.5
On weds which I've never done before, yikes!!!!!

Hi everyone,

So glad to see people enjoy running as much as me, its definately addictive! I ran the Bupa 10k last year and then didnt really do much afterwards but have become obsessed with it again recently. Started off slow but your fitness really improves quickly but id say you still have to push yourself, just push yourself on a minute longer every once in a while and it makes a big difference.
I also tend to do a long run, followed by minute sprints to try and increase fitness and really get my blood pumping.

Im a big girl too - over 16st - which I'm trying to lose but it doesnt seem to wana come off no matter how much I diet and exercise. So if I can run 10k anyone can! Just invest in a good sports bra ;)

On that note, has anyone found doing exercise stunted their weight loss?? Personally I think I have some other issue, like intolerances or something, have had a whole load of trouble with my digestion etc lately, feel like Iv been for every test under the sun but nothing ever shows up. Giving gluten and dairy free a go to see if mixed with the exercise it makes a difference.

I should be a twiglet with the exercise I do but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be working at the moment but I love running and sweating and pushing myself that I'm not going to just stop.

Get out there and run people, dont worry what people 'may' think, at least your out there giving your lungs, heart, muscles and bones a good work out rather than standing idly giggling at someone trying to improve themselves (you will, in a few weeks, probably be healthier, if not skinnier than those people anyway!)

xx

Jodes said:
Hi everyone,

So glad to see people enjoy running as much as me, its definately addictive! I ran the Bupa 10k last year and then didnt really do much afterwards but have become obsessed with it again recently. Started off slow but your fitness really improves quickly but id say you still have to push yourself, just push yourself on a minute longer every once in a while and it makes a big difference.
I also tend to do a long run, followed by minute sprints to try and increase fitness and really get my blood pumping.

Im a big girl too - over 16st - which I'm trying to lose but it doesnt seem to wana come off no matter how much I diet and exercise. So if I can run 10k anyone can! Just invest in a good sports bra ;)

On that note, has anyone found doing exercise stunted their weight loss?? Personally I think I have some other issue, like intolerances or something, have had a whole load of trouble with my digestion etc lately, feel like Iv been for every test under the sun but nothing ever shows up. Giving gluten and dairy free a go to see if mixed with the exercise it makes a difference.

I should be a twiglet with the exercise I do but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be working at the moment but I love running and sweating and pushing myself that I'm not going to just stop.

Get out there and run people, dont worry what people 'may' think, at least your out there giving your lungs, heart, muscles and bones a good work out rather than standing idly giggling at someone trying to improve themselves (you will, in a few weeks, probably be healthier, if not skinnier than those people anyway!)

xx

Hi Jodes, come and find the half marathon training thread, lots of us chatting about running in there!
My goal is my first 10k next year, so I'm following a training plan on my treadmill, totally agree you have to push yourself, I was meant to do 2.5 tonight but went to 3 so I'm feeling not so guilty for having a vino tonight!
Exercise at first didn't help me loose weight but I hope it's helping now, I lost 5.5lbs on slimming world on weds, that's two weeks worth, are you following a diet as such?

I'll have a look for that thread Lucylu79, I'm new to this site and I find it a little hard to work at the minute! Yeh I'm following slimming world, I've been a member since Feb but I am struggling alot. Not with sticking to the diet but just seeing any weight come off. Sometimes I don't follow it because I get so miffed off, but I still go to class. As I said above I hope by maybe cutting gluten and diary I'll start seeing differences. Even my consultant is abit baffled because I am abit of an exercise 'beast' - throught the summer I was doing a bootcamp 3 times a week lugging around tyres and stuff and still not seeing any massive differences. So really just said to myself I'll start again from where I am and see how things go with this diet change.
By the way - great job on losing the 5.5lbs - I'm very jealous :)

ive grown to love running, and well whowver said you cant build up distance on your own then its not true :) started running at 7 miles, and now can do 12 on my own.
you;ll soon be on your way to that 10k!

Jodes said:
I'll have a look for that thread Lucylu79, I'm new to this site and I find it a little hard to work at the minute! Yeh I'm following slimming world, I've been a member since Feb but I am struggling alot. Not with sticking to the diet but just seeing any weight come off. Sometimes I don't follow it because I get so miffed off, but I still go to class. As I said above I hope by maybe cutting gluten and diary I'll start seeing differences. Even my consultant is abit baffled because I am abit of an exercise 'beast' - throught the summer I was doing a bootcamp 3 times a week lugging around tyres and stuff and still not seeing any massive differences. So really just said to myself I'll start again from where I am and see how things go with this diet change.
By the way - great job on losing the 5.5lbs - I'm very jealous :)

Yeah it is a bit confusing but once you get the hand if it you'll be on it all the time!
What plan are you following on sw? Mine came off slow to start, I'm nearing 3 stone if baby weight loss, it's not been quick mind! Why gluten and diary? Intolerant?
When it comes to exercise I have to say taking measurements is a must! I gained 1.5 the weigh in before my last but went down an inch in the waist!
Keep at it, you'll get there!
One last thing, how do you use your syns, daily, weekly?

gina_b said:
ive grown to love running, and well whowver said you cant build up distance on your own then its not true :) started running at 7 miles, and now can do 12 on my own.
you;ll soon be on your way to that 10k!

Firstly starting at 7 miles ill say it again, fantastic! And yeah, utter rubbish, albeit small amounts I'm increasing every week!

Yeah it is a bit confusing but once you get the hand if it you'll be on it all the time!
What plan are you following on sw? Mine came off slow to start, I'm nearing 3 stone if baby weight loss, it's not been quick mind! Why gluten and diary? Intolerant?
When it comes to exercise I have to say taking measurements is a must! I gained 1.5 the weigh in before my last but went down an inch in the waist!
Keep at it, you'll get there!
One last thing, how do you use your syns, daily, weekly?

I have had months of issues health wise and everything points towards celiac/intolerance/allergy. My 'symptoms' are pretty much what they say you get from eating gluten etc. I'm not being overly hopeful but after a week of not eating any gluten or dairy I got weighed today and the scales were -4.5lbs ! Iv not had that much weight loss in a long time. Going to continue on for this week and see what the results are next week...fingers crossed!

SW wise I prefer red days when I'm working shifts and then do EE with my bf when not. Syn wise I tend to use maybe 4 if any daily and then use alot of them at the weekend if Im off. Mainly cuz I like to use them on rum :D but dont think I tend to go over 50 in one go and that would be the same day I get weighed so I've the week to let them sink in. Because I work shifts though sometimes I dont have a drink and use my syns in one go. Like last week some days I didnt use syns and sometimes I used 5 and 12, no real pattern to it.

Going to the gym tomorrow for the first time since wednesday night...think il push myself to 5miles again, only done it once recently, but feel up for it!x

Jodes said:
I have had months of issues health wise and everything points towards celiac/intolerance/allergy. My 'symptoms' are pretty much what they say you get from eating gluten etc. I'm not being overly hopeful but after a week of not eating any gluten or dairy I got weighed today and the scales were -4.5lbs ! Iv not had that much weight loss in a long time. Going to continue on for this week and see what the results are next week...fingers crossed!

SW wise I prefer red days when I'm working shifts and then do EE with my bf when not. Syn wise I tend to use maybe 4 if any daily and then use alot of them at the weekend if Im off. Mainly cuz I like to use them on rum :D but dont think I tend to go over 50 in one go and that would be the same day I get weighed so I've the week to let them sink in. Because I work shifts though sometimes I dont have a drink and use my syns in one go. Like last week some days I didnt use syns and sometimes I used 5 and 12, no real pattern to it.

Going to the gym tomorrow for the first time since wednesday night...think il push myself to 5miles again, only done it once recently, but feel up for it!x

Wow wee! See something must be working!
I'm like you, do Ee with hubby around but I do green and some red when he's on shifts, so easy to just have chips done in the actifry!
I too like rum, in fact we were drinking spiced rum last night, good job we ran out of coke! Only reason I asked about syns was that I never realised that you shouldn't save your syns and use then in all one go every week, it's more meant for special occasions. My ave loss is 1lb per week but the week I switched to having daily syns I lost 3.5' just a thought if your struggling.
Managed 3.5 today whilst little one had a snooze, felt good running non stop for nearly 45 mins, definitely seeing some progress!

Thats amazing Lucylu79, well done. Makes you feel so good knowing you've pushed yourself that hard. Fair play to you aswell for doing it while the little one snoozes, if it were me id have been tempted to snooze too rather than run for 45 mins!

We obviously have great taste with the drink preferences-just purchased a litre bottle of spiced rum from asda for £17, that'll do me for a while!! I also like it cuz it satisfies a sweet craving too so the syns i use on it feels doubly enjoyed!!

Pushed myself to 20mins straight run followed my minute sprints today, finished nightshift after 13hour shift and only sleep 4hours to try and get me back in day mode so i think i did ok !

Does anyone find they run better without headphones in by the way?? Everyone i see wears them but i hate it, i like to hear my breathing and i know it makes me run harder, find wearing headphones i hear my breathing really exagerated.
I also used to set up the laptop infront of the treadmill and watch episodes of tv shows like bones and house when i was running 40mins at a time. Great distraction and you catch up on your shows very quickly!xx

Back