running

tinks88

Hi

Just wondered if anyone on here did jogging on a daily basis - I am thinking of taking it up to aid my weightloss and tone up a bit :). Could anyone give me there experiences with running, how much they think it helped with their weight loss and what plan they followed whilst doing it :D

My sister did couch to 5k and raves about it. She was already slim but did it to get fit and it's worked for her. I'm def going to give it a go!

I do c25k 4 times a week. I have a lot to loose and had no fitness when I started but I def feel it helps my losses. 2st 6lbs in 15 weeks. Def worth a go. Never thought I'd say it but I don't hate running, in fact I even quite like it most days!

I started running at Easter and now go running at least 5x a week. I was fairly fit when I started so I didn't do the Couch to 5K programme (though I've heard good things about it). I just ran until I was tired and then gradually built up my times/distance. My first target was to run 5k without stopping. I've achieved that so now I'm working on doing 10k. If you're new to exercise then I think the C25K is probably the way to go as it's a very well established and do-able programme. When I first started running, I'll be honest, I hated it. I'd never done anything so physically hard in my life. If I hadn't already committed to doing a 5k Race for Life with my Mum and SIL, I doubt I'd have stuck with it. But I did stick with it and it quickly got easier. Even though I've only been doing it for a little while, I'm so into it now. I love it and look forward to going running again. I'm not sure how it's helped my losses (I tend to lose between 1 and 3 lbs however much exercise I do) but I am so much fitter and look visably more toned. Good luck!

I did Couch to 5k and completed it two weeks ago. I now carry on running 5k three times a week and love my new lifestyle! I don't know if it helps my weightloss as I haven't tried to stop running! I was loosing the same amount before. I wouldn't dream of no exercise again though, the change to my confidence and mood is worth it in the bucket load, running has changed my life for the better

I'm doing the couch 2 5 k plan at the minute alongside Slimming World. I can't say it's made a big difference to my losses but I'm definitely seeing the results in how toned my body is getting :)

I've been running on/off for the last year using a C25K program on my phone and a Run10K app when I want to do slightly longer runs than 30 minutes.

I don't really know if it makes a difference to losses in terms of weight - it can definitely do no harm!!

What I find it does though is improves my confidence, my fitness, my body shape and without a doubt my diet. When I am running 3 times a week, I definitely don't crave the crap I normally do and it actually spurs me on to eat much more healthily and make better choices.

I really think I would enjoy running and I've heard such good things about the C25K programme but I'm scared cos I'm so heavy and unfit :(

I really think I would enjoy running and I've heard such good things about the C25K programme but I'm scared cos I'm so heavy and unfit :(

Just try it! You've got nothing to lose except weight. In week 1 of the C25K, you begin by walking for 5 minutes then alternate 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes. Very doable even if you're quite unfit. If you're worried about being seen out and about exercising, honestly, nobody cares. I tend to do most of my runs around the perimiter of a local park which is almost exactly 5k. It's popular with runners and every time I go I see at least a dozen other runners of all shapes, sizes and levels of fitness. I was worried about getting sweaty in public at first but nobody has ever even looked at me twice - I'm just another jogger. Please give it a go. It will do wonders for both your fitness and your confidence.

Thanks fir feedback everyone :), i am thinking of building up to 5k by running twice a week and then doing resistance trraining twice a week in the gym aswell :). Just a bit worried that all the running and exercising will massively increase my appetite (it usually does)

I was over 16st when I started c25k and hadn't exercised in yrs and yrs! Yep I felt self concious and a bit Daft running with my pram in my local park but I knew that is was one if few exercises I could do with my youngest in tow! Plus c25k takes it in manageable steps each change up in weeks a new challenge! Some weeks I repeated for 2 weeks to make sure I was ready to move on! I'd def say give it a go, u have nothing to loose (others than lbs and inches!!)

Try to not worry about appetite! You will need to combat a bad habit of eating as soon as you get in from a run if that's how your mentality is, I know I sure used to gorge on food!! It's surprising how eating a banana and a few other fruits when I'm in and a big glass of water actually is all you need! =)

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm thinking of trying Couch to 5k and I know everyone has said not to worry about fitness levels, but I am REALLY unfit. Sometimes I get out of breath going up the stairs. Am I going to be able to do this? I'll certainly take it slow but am worried that even the beginning steps will be too much and will turn me off. I'm not afraid of getting out of puff, red faced and sweaty though - I've just started weekly dance classes again and am constantly having to stop and get my breath but want to get fit!

Hi all, I'm thinking of trying Couch to 5k and I know everyone has said not to worry about fitness levels, but I am REALLY unfit. Sometimes I get out of breath going up the stairs. Am I going to be able to do this? I'll certainly take it slow but am worried that even the beginning steps will be too much and will turn me off. I'm not afraid of getting out of puff, red faced and sweaty though - I've just started weekly dance classes again and am constantly having to stop and get my breath but want to get fit!

You won't know til u try! I am certainly not fit and was so much worse when I started but honestly ur fitness levels builds pretty quickly! I still not fit but I can get thro the half hr of c25k now! I've even started 30 day shred now on ny inbetween days from c25k! I would never have believed that when I went out for my first run!!!

I've started running on top of personal training to try and get ready for a 10k in October. So far, I can do 3k, which is pretty good considering I've only been running now for about a month.
Let's see what October brings!

defnitely do the couch to 5k, its a fab way to get running without putting too much pressure on yourself to runn faster or longer,

I did my first 10k in April, got the Great North Run (half marathon) in Sept and am planning a couple more 10ks before then too.

I love running, whether it helped with weight loss, who knows but def help self esteem, motivation, vitamin D daily dose and fitness,

make sure you do good stretches afterwards though or else you could end up with all kinds of lower limb troubles,

most of all enjoy it, think about joining a local running club, its great to run with others and the best when you're doing races :)

Totally agree with all the others - Id highly recomnend running if only to tone up & get a big confidence boost.

Im currently on week 3 of the couch 2 5k & Im loving it, Im not using the NHS podcast but an app I downloaded on my phone. Have a look at the thread in the challenges section if youre interested x

I just found out that Sweatshop (running gear retailer) do free runs! 5k runs every week at my local store for free and u get free incentives depending in how many weeks you keep going.

Hmmm!

Back