Working Solutions Russian Doll - One Day at a Time

Russiandoll

Carpe diem
I started Exante TS yesterday (20th) and weighed in at 17st 11lb. I've decided to go for a goal of 12st because, back in 2006 I was on Cambridge and managed to lose 10st, getting down to 12st 7lb. I was pretty happy at that weight, being a size 16ish. At my age, I don't really want to be over thin.

So that's an 81lb journey and one I really NEED to make as I'm now feeling the negative effects of carrying so much excess weight for so long.

Day 1 was ok. No worse than I expected. I was interested in seeing how the Exante packs stacked up against Cambridge and was pleasantly surprised to find I prefer the ones I've tried so far.

Breakfast was a vanilla shake with some psyllium husks for fibre. I found the taste creamier and milder than Cambridge shakes - also there was no artificial after-taste which I noticed with Cambridge packs (until I became accustomed to them).

For lunch I had a Toffee, nut and raisin bar with a black coffee. I loved this! Like a big, moist rice krispie bar. There was a very slight saltiness which I thought went well with the nut and fruit. A definite thumbs up.

I had a Thai chicken soup for dinner. I added a couple of teaspoons of psyllium husks, again for fibre but also because they thicken the soup which I then eat with a spoon like a broth.

Physically, I didn't feel raging hunger but my emotional and habitual hunger was going hammer and tongs. I was acutely aware of every food advert throughout the evening - and there were quite a few!
often I'd have an evening snack (yoghurt / cereal / fruit) but rarely was I actually hungry - it was more to do with habit and boredom. I'm hoping that Exante will help me address my emotional dependence on food - I use it in conjunction with just about EVERY emotion. Boredom, stress, anger, loneliness ... and also as a reward for any successes and as social axis. My life revolves around food - eating it, buying it, cooking it ... what to eat, what not to eat, when to eat it.
I need to get off this merry-go-round!

I'm coming to the end of day 2 and so far, so good although I know from experience it's no easy journey.

Last edited:
hi , well done on getting to day 2 , I can totally identify with you about your eating and I am sure there are many of us that will agree . I hope you have another good day tomorrow and get through the tough first week and into ketosis without too much trouble x

Hello! I do believe I recognise your name from the Slideshow pictures? I lost nearly 6 stone on Cambridge in 2009, and am back after having my 3rd child. Am doing Exante this time, I too prefer the flavours of the shakes to CD :) I'm on Day 8 today, lost 12lbs in my first week :)

All the best xx

How's today going for ya? xx

Coming to the end of day 3. Right at this precise moment, my tummy is rumbling and I'm feeling hungry but I'll have another glass of water in a moment and maybe an afternoon snooze to take my mind off it.

I had a chocolate shake for breakfast - nice and creamy and, again, a more subtle taste that CD. I really think that in the absence of food, your palate doesn't actually need very strong flavours and there may be an advantage to learning to appreciate subtle flavours.

Went out during the day and bought some ketostix from Lloyds Pharmacy. I was all ready for a battle royal but, unlike Boots, most chemists seem happy to accept they aren't selling narcotics when you buy a pot of sticks to wee on.

We stopped at a cafe and I sat as good as gold with a large Americano whilst my partner had an all day breakfast. I had a mouthful of choc orange bar to take the edge off my hunger (I ate the rest at home later with another coffee). This worked a treat. You may think I'm a bit of a masochist and that my partner was a bit unkind to eat in front of me but this is MY diet and MY choice. I actively encouraged him to eat as I want life to be as normal as possible for everyone else and he doesn't need to diet. It wasn't remotely as difficult as you'd imagine - I guess it's all about mental attitude.

When I think about things I've eaten in the past, there have been numerous occasions when I've regretted eating something that I know wasn't the best choice. But I can't recall ever regretting NOT eating something and that applied today. I don't regret NOT having a fry up - on the contrary, I'm proud of myself for having exercised some control and making a conscious decision to stick to my guns. I'd be sitting her angry with myself now if I'd slipped up ... why would I want to do that to myself for the sake of some egg and bacon?

I plan to have a bowl of mushroom soup later. Another new flavour.
So far, Exante is definitely winning in the flavour stakes.

Well done RD! Thats brilliant will power! Im sitting here curious as to which cafe you went to as we both live in Gosport, only 'cause if it was one of my favourites then your much braver then me! I couldn't do it! How bad is that? I have favourite places for different dishes...no wonder Im having to go on a bloody diet haha. Good luck with day 4! x

Well done RD! Thats brilliant will power! Im sitting here curious as to which cafe you went to as we both live in Gosport, only 'cause if it was one of my favourites then your much braver then me! I couldn't do it! How bad is that? I have favourite places for different dishes...no wonder Im having to go on a bloody diet haha. Good luck with day 4! x

It was a nice little cafe in Southampton Sherrie :)

I have an announcement to make ....

Exante bumper pack? £100+
Tub of Psyllium Husks? £11
Tub of Ketostix? £5.31

Finding you're in Ketosis after just 3 days? PRICELESS!! :D :D :D
:bliss:

It was a nice little cafe in Southampton Sherrie :)

I have an announcement to make ....

Exante bumper pack? £100+
Tub of Psyllium Husks? £11
Tub of Ketostix? £5.31

Finding you're in Ketosis after just 3 days? PRICELESS!! :D :D :D
:bliss:

I paid £64.50 for a bumper pack of 50 banana shakes (wanted to be on the safe side as I didn't know how any of them tested and I preferred shake son CD)
And then £17.50 for a months worth of Tesco Ultra Slim bars so a total of £82 for my month but Im thinking of spying the extra and getting the bumper pack for the varied flavours and shakes, what do you think?

And yes it is PRICELESS!!! :D

I paid £64.50 for a bumper pack of 50 banana shakes (wanted to be on the safe side as I didn't know how any of them tested and I preferred shake son CD)
And then £17.50 for a months worth of Tesco Ultra Slim bars so a total of £82 for my month but Im thinking of spying the extra and getting the bumper pack for the varied flavours and shakes, what do you think?

Omg you can tell my hands are freezing and Im trying to type as quickly as possible lol!

Im thinking of spying the extra and getting the bumper pack for the varied flavours and shakes, what do you think?

I like the fact I get variety for my £100 but of course, you don't get a choice of what packs come in the box. I've not tried a pack that I don't like yet though - and I do like having something savoury at least once a day so the soups are a definite thumbs up. I've tried Thai chicken, vegetable and mushroom so far and like them all. I'll give the tomato and basil a go tomorrow.

I'll definitely be getting another bumper pack next month.

Hi Russian Doll, I remember you from way back when I did CD in 2006 when I was known as Big Dee. I lost 5 stones and regained it when I emigrated and head went into permanent holiday mode. So now living in France CD was not an option for me; and to be honest I am glad as I absolutely love the Exante flavours, so much nicer than CD. This time the weight is staying off for good. Good luck and keep posting.

I'm an exante fan over CD due to the taste and price hehe!! Do boots even have ketostix?

Congrats on getting through your first few days xx

aug 2008- 18 st 5 lb 17/10/11- 12 st 13

Sounds like your doing great hun. And well done for resisting your first temptation at the cafe xxx

I like the fact I get variety for my £100 but of course, you don't get a choice of what packs come in the box. I've not tried a pack that I don't like yet though - and I do like having something savoury at least once a day so the soups are a definite thumbs up. I've tried Thai chicken, vegetable and mushroom so far and like them all. I'll give the tomato and basil a go tomorrow.

I'll definitely be getting another bumper pack next month.

I think I will have to do the same :)

Hi French Fancy! I do remember you from 'back int deh'. Well done for taking on the battle again and succeeding! I agree that the Exante packs taste nicer than CD ... it's making my return to a VLCD much less painful!

Leedsforever - I haven't asked in Boots lately for Ketostix. They definitely used to sell them but didn't like selling them to anyone on a Ketogenic diet as they 'disapproved' of them so didn't want to encourage anyone from doing them. Of course, now they've jumped on the band wagon and promote one themselves (can't remember the name).
I remember once I asked for some and the assistant said, 'what do you want them for?' I asked why she wanted to know and she rattled off the 'we don't agree with ketogenic diets' blurb.
I said 'if it's ANY of your business I'm diabetic (I am) ... do you interrogate all your customers like this? They're sticks to wee on - not narcotics'

I got the ketostix but swore I wouldn't buy from them again. Lloyds chemists are fine and probably small independents but Boots can be sniffy (maybe less so now though because of their own VLCD product)

Just about to have my first shake of the day then decide what do with myself ...
Thanks for all the support - catch you later :)

Another good day. I started off with a banana shake ... I liked it but will probably get some ground cinnamon to add a bit of 'oomph' in future.
A toffee, nut and raisin bar for lunch, Thai chicken soup (with a sprinkling of chilli and black pepper) and that was my day.

I felt hungry a couple of times but had a drink of water or a coffee and the feeling passed. I was hungry - I didn't rush to 'resolve' it and guess what - I'm still here to tell the tale. Must be a lesson in there somewhere :)

As of today I have lost my first stone! Exante rocks, and I am still loving the shake flavours. Strawberry is my least favourite but is still drinkable which is fab. I don't think I'll like the soups, and I don't like the bars, but am very happy on the shakes anyway. Here's to my next stone off! xx

As of today I have lost my first stone! Exante rocks, and I am still loving the shake flavours. Strawberry is my least favourite but is still drinkable which is fab. I don't think I'll like the soups, and I don't like the bars, but am very happy on the shakes anyway. Here's to my next stone off! xx

That is awesome news Sarette!! I'm over the moon for you :D

That first stone is such a boost - and it gets addictive ... you want the next one - and the next one!

I can remember when I was on CD in 2006, the amazement and euphoria I felt every time I could zip something up that I couldn't before. That feeling is priceless and I want it again SO BADLY!

I have stacks of smaller clothes right down to a size 16 which is where I stopped last time (I started at a size 32 ... I'm currently a 24). Once the weight loss becomes significant, I must remember to try things on weekly because I remember last time I went to try on some smaller clothes I'd been saving and they were too big! That was a good feeling I can tell you!

Anyway - well done again and here's to the 2nd stone! xx

Back