RvR's Easy Freezy Peasy Pressure Cooker Chicken Casserole

Rita von Ruben

Made up a batch of this tonight, similar to a recipe I usually do but have adapted it to be syn free (as far as I know!). Normally I thicken this particular casserole with flour, add wine at the de-glazing stage and use an olive oil base, but to make it free on SW EE I omitted the flour and wine and used fry light instead :)

All quantities are variable, I made a very large batch and portioned it out to freeze, I got around 5-6 big meat-packed portions out of it!

Ingredients:
Skinless, boneless chicken thighs, all visible fat painstakingly removed (approx 6-8 thighs)
3 Chicken Breasts
9 Carrots
3 Leeks
2 Onions
(I would normally add finely diced celery too but didn't have any available)
2 Knorr gel chicken stock pots
Dried Thyme
Bay leaves
Crushed garlic

Instructions:
1. Remove all visible fat from the chicken. Fry-light a large pan/casserole dish/pressure cooker (I used a pressure cooker).
2. Brown chicken in small batches, once browned and you're getting some nice sticky bits in the pan, remove and set to one side until all the chicken is browned.
3. Deglaze the pan. Doing this with a sweet white wine tastes fantastic (if you want to measure the syns!) but to keep it syn free I whacked it up onto a high heat and deglazed using water, it worked perfectly.
4. Add diced/sliced onions, carrots, leeks and celery (adding fry light to the pan if necessary, most of the water from deglazing should have boiled/evaporated pretty much immediately if your heat is high enough).
5. Soften veggies for a few minutes, stirring often.
6. Add the chicken back to the pan, make sure to get all the juices in and mix well with the veg.
7. Add your stock and water, until everything is just about covered.
8. Pressure cook! I didn't time this part, but I'm fairly certain I left it for a good couple of hours. I'd left the thighs whole and the breasts were approximately quartered, the aim (for me) was to cook it until the meat is tender and falling apart and has soaked up lots of flavours from the veg.
9. Check at random intervals and give it a stir! The tasty magic happens once all the lovely white chicken breast pieces start to turn brownish from soaking up all the stock.
10. At this point I added bay leaves, thyme and crushed garlic and cooked for another 30 mins or so on high pressure.
11. Remove bay leaves. Add a little white pepper/season to taste.

All done!

It's a very basic recipe but leaves you with a lovely syn free casserole that will taste great with a nice pile of superfree veg :) perfect for freezing too for the nights where you feel lazy! And of course, throwing in extra veg like peas and mushrooms towards the end of the cooking time will work brilliantly. I imagine it would work well in a slow cooker or a casserole dish on a low heat in the oven too :)

thanks for that, sounds yummy

Back