Ryanair - fat tax

dd26

Ryanair confirm s that ‘fat tax’ is a non-runner because it’s not collectible
Passengers want very large passengers to pay more

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (8th May 09) confirmed that it will not implement a ‘fat tax’ because there is no way to collect it without disrupting its 25 minute turnarounds and its online check-in process. Ryanair confirmed that more than 16,000 passengers voted in its latest online poll to identify how the airline should charge larger passengers. The poll results showed:

• <LI class=MsoNormal>46% - Charge per kg over 130kg/20 st (male) and 100kg/15 st (females); <LI class=MsoNormal>37% - Charge for a second seat if passengers’ waist touches both armrests; <LI class=MsoNormal>11% - Charge for every point in excess of 40 points on the Body Mass Index
  • 6% - Charge for every waist inch over 45 inch (male) and 40 inch (female);
Ryanair confirmed that the competition’s €1,000 cash prize goes to Mrs Judy Powers, a retired British ex-pat living in Spain and the first passenger to suggest that larger passengers should pay more.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Over 30,000 Ryanair passengers called for a ‘fat tax’ for very large passengers. However, as all passengers will soon be checking in online we have no way of collecting a ‘fat tax’ without disrupting our un-rivalled punctuality and our 25 minute turnarounds.

“Ryanair will continue to examine avoidable discretionary charges, which are paid for by some passengers but help lower fares for all passengers. We are delighted to present Judy with her €1,000 cash prize and thank all 150,000 passengers who either entered our competition or voted in our online polls "

The whole fat tax business I find quite bizzarre and I knew that it wouldn't happen. I mean, there would be so much contrivercy, and I'm sure a lot of money would be lost as 'fat' passengers wouldn't travel. So Airports would be losing customers.

And it does seem very intimidating towards those who are overweight. In a way I understand too that there is an issue with larger people going on the planes, I'm sure I was a disturbance to others when I was on the plane when I was fat. But still, it's not a good thing either to put them on the spot like that when all they want to do is just go on holiday. I'm pretty sure they know that they are overweight from the uncomfortable feelings in the chairs etc. They don't need to have it shoved in their faces like this to make it worse.

Mixed issues here :p

Back