OMG Ryan Air Fat Tax to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t say that I am irate. I just feel very strongly about discrimination for which I have been at the brunt of for many years although not because of my size. This tax would not affect me but I know a lot of people who would be affected by it for various reasons.

Prader willis is just one medical condition that I used as an example and I have 4 people on my case load with it – despite the information quoted. There are many other medical conditions and counter indications of medication that affect the amount of food that people consume. Plus other reason that have yet to have any medical recognition or diagnosis.

Aislinn x

I dont agree with this fat tax think its just anothr way for making money. We all have are opinions and we should be able to express how we feel without it blowing up. If i was chaeged this fat tax i would feel verry upset and imbaressesd if someone saw me sitting by myself with a empty seat would they think fat tax? And wot would be the procedure you get weighed befor you book you holiday?

It's "Prader-Willi" and "contraindications".

And what about underweight people? Will they be getting a price reduction then??

Hi Everybody
From now on then I`ll have to book two seats then the ******* .Roll on my surgery . The next thing they will charge us for breathing . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Just read this thread again after a few days and I am shocked. Kitteh the fact that you are getting fuming over this and suggesting that parents are scum is absolutely pathetic!! I completely agree with Summergurl and Nixx 100%.

I myself was skinny as a child and had a really good balanced diet through my PARENTS! The fact that im overweight is from the age of 21 once I bought my own house so I don't think you make a valid point at all.

With regards to the Fat tax I do think they should rename it. But how will they weigh and charge you. Will they weigh you with your luggage? Because that would be completely humiliating. If you have to get weighed at the airport how long will you have to get their before your flight aint it already 2-3 hours. I can not see this running smoothly if introduced. But do think weight should be taken into consideration for the safety of all passengers.
And im sure they will take medical conditions into account.

Kitteh, I would never in a million years shout at ANYONE, if you read my paragraph after you would see that. I am NOT a disgusting person and I am very, very offended that you think that of me. When you have an amazing way of really reducing your weight and re-training your eating habits you want to "Spread the word" like some diet evangelist....THAT was my meaning. There was some news on the radio about a 29 yr old (morbidly obese) mother feeding her 8 month old twins McDonalds, fish and chips and packets of watsits, she claims she has a gland problem and that the 3000 cals she eats a day has nothing to do with her being overweight. Am I NOT to be dismayed and upset that she is effectively setting the pattern for another obese generation??? When I was 3 and overweight, a neighbour, an old lady used to give me lots of sweets almost every day....when I asked my mum why she allowed her to do that, she told me that she didn't want to offend her......!!!!! Been overweight/obese for most of my life.....is my mum partly to blame, I would say yes. She was always a size 8 for most of her life, until her 60's, by the way.

ok, people and children can be overweight for different reasons- i myself had a very difficult up bringing (through no fault of my parents)it was not through leak of education that i turned to food as a child....i turned to it for comfort, its not all parents fault if their child is over weight many factors could be affecting them,i think people are treating this issue with the same narrow-mindedness which Im sure they have experienced being overweight them selves.......think about how it felt when someone called you FAT...... im sure it hurt alot and brought horrible feelings, now imagine that coming from an airline, if you are not in the right frame of mind you are most likely going to turn to food, making the problem worse.........it could encourage alot of already unhappy and overweight people in fear of even more critisism to simply stay at home ..... and a holiday is good for everyones health!!!
sorry for the rant......
by the way- they also said they would start charging for using toilets......turne out to be a joke
x

I see so many seriously overweight children with their overweight children, waddling along , stuffing their faces I want to scream Lipotrim at them!!!!

Well having read this thread to the end I have to say im very disgusted with some of the comments that were made, this one moreso than the rest. The narrowmindness is just unbelieveable and I cant believe that you had the audocaity to come out with something so horrible. There is no denying that in every day life there are obese adults and obese children but before you make your own wild assumpations, take a step back and think to yourself, is there a reason that these children or the way they are? My neice, as a child she was very overweight and we couldnt find out the reasons why as she wasnt a child to "stuff" her face with rubbish, after alot of tests she had an underactive throid problem and as she is on tablets for the rest of her life, her weight has disappeared and she was a very nice slim girl. There's all sorts of medical conditions as well that doesn't help for anyone and yet people like yourself that is judgemental just think the obvious and say its the parents fault. Another example, from a child I have had very serious asthma with up to 4 hospital admissions every year. Before xmas I lost 3.5 stones on LT and then over new year I was admitted to hospital again and given the usual dosage of 12 steroid tablets a day over a 15 day. In that 15 days I had gained back 17lbs of the weight that I had lost because of the medication that I was taking. Being a doctor I could go on and on here as there are many other serious conditions out there that also gives you the same side effects.

I can only assume that you have never been bullied regarding your weight or lifestyle otherwise if you have been the statement that you just made wouldn't have come out of your mouth. I am not disagreeing with you that some parents out there don't help themselves or their children but try and not be so insensitive next time you meet obese people. There are only so much parents can do and when children are at an age they will do what they want themselves. I know if I met a 30 year old woman on the street who was obese I wouldnt think to myself gosh that must have been the parents fault for her getting to that size. There has to be a limit of where the parents are to blame but always look at the bigger picture, whats on the outside shouldnt be betrayed of what is on the inside. After all hunny your no slimjim yourself otherwise you wouldnt be on LT or on this site gaining support on your journey.

Just one question though you said that you felt like screaming Lipotrim at them, hope you dont mind me asking what age were you when you first discovered LT and realized that you had a weight problem? Also if someone had thought of screaming at you that you were overweight and desperately need to lose it, what would that have done to your self confidence? Walk a day in someone else's shoes then you will know that their pain is not easy.

Anyways enough on that one, as for the Ryanir reducing a tax rate, thats up to them and they are within their own rights to do so but personally if they use this discrimination to people off all walks off life whether they be fat, thin, nationality or race well then again where is it going to end. I am sure there will be something else in the headlines too!! At the end of the day if I want to lose weight I do it for myself and not because an airline has decided they are going to introduce a "fat tax". They are certainly not the only airline around and I am sure they wont be the last!! :copon:

HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY.....I WOULD NEVER ACTUALLY SHOUT AT SOMEONE THAT THEY ARE FAT OR ANYTHING .........!!!! Are you telling me I don't have the freedom to THINK they should be taking a far healthier approach to food for the sakes of their and their childrens health?????? Please read my other comments, I have never called anyone or shouted at anyone who was or is fat as I HAVE BEEN FAT MOST OF MY LIFE, I call myself fat a million times more than anyone has said to me, although I would agree with them if they did. I have been called fat by some groups of young boys in the past and I just think, yeah, they are right.

Parents cannot control 100% what children eat once they start giving them pocket money, BUT from birth until then, they can set a good example. Saying they haven't got time or money to cook healthy food is complete rubbish. The ready meal industry and such have convinced us all that this is the case, but it's really not. years ago, the only fast-food places were the fish and chip shop and maybe the pie and mash shop, now, in Barking there are a dozen fried chicken places among the 4 pizza joints, 5 Indian and 4 Chinese plus Nandos, Wimpey, McDonalds, Pie & mash, Kebab, Sandwich shops......might have even missed out some....We are up against it, I realise how hard it is for everyone, I was a single mum myself for a while, but both my children have grown into healthy, normal weight adults.

HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY.....I WOULD NEVER ACTUALLY SHOUT AT SOMEONE THAT THEY ARE FAT OR ANYTHING .........!!!! Are you telling me I don't have the freedom to THINK they should be taking a far healthier approach to food for the sakes of their and their childrens health??????

Whether you said it to their faces or not you still thought about it in your head. Also its a free country to have your views love but until your fit to speak about it sort out your own problem first and dont judge others. As I said before your narrowmindness seems to think that its because of children "stuffing" their faces that has got some of them overweight. For god's sake woman look at the bigger picture!

I seriously wish you all the success on your journey of weight loss and i sincerely hope that your attitude changes towards other "fat" people. You cant tell me that if a "group of boys" called you fat and ya thought they were right and shrugged them off, well then if this is the case you should have no problem sticking to a diet and I am a bit surprised that ya havent got on the wagon before this and come a slimmer healthier version of you especially with the amount of confidence that you have. For some degree I am sure some of those nasty words hurt when you heard them, I seriously dont think you are made of tin and can ignore them just the way you said!!

Also you said that your own children grew up to be slim healthy adults, surely if you were feeding them healthy food, should you not have followed suit? I certainly believe that children should have a treat. My mate didnt allow any rubbish in the house and her kids never walked into a Mcdonalds once because she wanted to give them a more healthier lifestyle, her daughter has grown up and is now 21. Having left home at the age of 18 to go to uni, she has put on alot of weight because she eats sweets, chocolate and anything else sweet in sight and that is because her parents deprived of them when she was younger. There is such a thing as eating in moderation and given a child one bar a month is not going to make them fat!!!!

My God miss unknown, for someone so outraged about another's "narrowmindedness" you certainly know how to stick the boot in and get personal don't you?
I can't believe the stick Supaslimma is getting for making a perfectly rational comment. Yes there are kids (and adults) with disorders and ilnesses but lets face it, most people who are fat are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise enough. That's why I'm not a size 10 anyway.
Everone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm all for a bit of healthy debate but miss unknown I really think the last post is personal and frankly, quite nasty.
On the one hand you are telling Supaslimma to "look at the bigger picture" and consider the other reasons people get fat, and then in the next breath you are insinuating that she didn't follow the healthy diet that she fed her kids and that is why she is "no slimjim".
I mean, if you are going to get on your soap box and chatise someone for being narrowminded you really ought to make sure you are beyond reproach yourself.
As for "Whether you said it to their faces or not you still thought about it in your head," what are you...the thought police?

I seriously wish you all the success on your journey of weight loss and i sincerely hope that your attitude changes towards other "fat" people. You cant tell me that if a "group of boys" called you fat and ya thought they were right and shrugged them off, well then if this is the case you should have no problem sticking to a diet and I am a bit surprised that ya havent got on the wagon before this and come a slimmer healthier version of you especially with the amount of confidence that you have. For some degree I am sure some of those nasty words hurt when you heard them, I seriously dont think you are made of tin and can ignore them just the way you said!!

Also you said that your own children grew up to be slim healthy adults, surely if you were feeding them healthy food, should you not have followed suit? I certainly believe that children should have a treat. My mate didnt allow any rubbish in the house and her kids never walked into a Mcdonalds once because she wanted to give them a more healthier lifestyle, her daughter has grown up and is now 21. Having left home at the age of 18 to go to uni, she has put on alot of weight because she eats sweets, chocolate and anything else sweet in sight and that is because her parents deprived of them when she was younger. There is such a thing as eating in moderation and given a child one bar a month is not going to make them fat!!!!

Who are you to judge some one you don't even know and say that she was effected by what others say or think. You may handle criticism badly but not everyone does.

And how she eats and what she eats is up to her she is a GROWN ADULT!! The fact that she still made sure her children ate a balanced diet is good. And I dont believe she said not to give children any sweets at all. Your blowing everything out of proportion.

And she has had no problem sticking to this diet and has been extremely successful. And maybe had she of known about this diet before she may have joined sooner not that that is any of your business anyway. I believe YOU ARE THE NARROW MINDED one here.

Well put dd26

eekkk.. first confrontational thread i have read on this forum... have be on loads of forums in my time and its usually the norm but not here...
At the end of the day ryanair is a business... it is their perogative if they want to tax people for being overweight... flights usually work on the weight premis.. i dont nessecarily agree with the tax.. perhaps yes to clinically obese people who need extra space and who do (dare i say it) weigh the plane down.... how and ever there doesnt seem to be any reason why micheal learys tax should cause bad feeling here, we are all tryin to loose weight and are all entitled to free speech and opinion, and can probably all rise above digging at anyone and keep it positive.. peace x

My God miss unknown, for someone so outraged about another's "narrowmindedness" you certainly know how to stick the boot in and get personal don't you?

Well as I said if supaslimma looked at the bigger picture then maybe she would keep her nasty thoughts to herself.

I can't believe the stick Supaslimma is getting for making a perfectly rational comment.

Do you seriously think she was right to say that these overweight kids should be on a diet especially when she doesnt know the whole in's and out's of a personal life? I dont think so and I stick by 100% by what I said. Also others seem to agree with me as well as I have received 8 personal messages since the last thread. You cant go around saying things and then suddenly get upset about it, as the lady said this is a free country to vouch your opinions, if she or you doesnt like what I said then thats your ignorance as you are only prepared to look at one side!!

Yes there are kids (and adults) with disorders and ilnesses but lets face it, most people who are fat are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Exactly nobody is disagreeing with you but unless you walk a day in their shoes dont judge them after all you have no room to talk about it. Yes we can all lose the weight but to actually say, I would love to go over and shout at them to go on LT is just redicule. For me I knew nothing about LT until I came a doctor. Some people doesnt realize that there is help out there and for some of them they cant afford to go to the gyms, yes if they can afford a takeaway each night then they should put that money forward for losing the weight, but until you actually realize that you have a problem then its only you that can change and not someone else.

I was certainly appalled by her comments as a part of me was thinking this woman started off being overweight and then she had the audocaity to even think the way she does. When you are losing weight, not only your confidence changes and your wellbeing but also your attitude towards life should as well especially towards innocent children.

That's why I'm not a size 10 anyway.
Everone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm all for a bit of healthy debate but miss unknown I really think the last post is personal and frankly, quite nasty.

If this is your opinion then I take it on board I personally dont think it was. I was pointing out certain aspects that supaslimma had mentioned and maybe then she could see the "bigger picture".

On the one hand you are telling Supaslimma to "look at the bigger picture" and consider the other reasons people get fat, and then in the next breath you are insinuating that she didn't follow the healthy diet that she fed her kids and that is why she is "no slimjim".

Well i know if i had children who i was giving healthy food to, would it not be wrong for me to stuff my face with sweet stuff that they couldnt have?
As for the slimjim comment she wouldnt be on LT if she was skinny in all fairness
I mean, if you are going to get on your soap box and chatise someone for being narrowminded you really ought to make sure you are beyond reproach yourself.
As for "Whether you said it to their faces or not you still thought about it in your head," what are you...the thought police?

I think I have answered your comments above.

Who are you to judge some one you don't even know and say that she was effected by what others say or think.

Exactly the point that I was trying to make to suppaslimma. I dont know her, you or anyone else on this thread but she didnt know those people that was walking along the street one day either and yet she made her assumpations

You may handle criticism badly but not everyone does.

And how she eats and what she eats is up to her she is a GROWN ADULT!!

Exactly my point again, she is a GROWN ADULT and should know better!!

Your blowing everything out of proportion.

Hmmmm I dont think so, I was giving my point of view

And she has had no problem sticking to this diet and has been extremely successful. And maybe had she of known about this diet before she may have joined sooner not that that is any of your business anyway. I believe YOU ARE THE NARROW MINDED one here.

Yes maybe if she would have known about the diet before I am sure she would have been on it, wouldnt we all. My point was that I didnt discover LT to later on in life and not many people can afford £40 a week either. Yes she has done great on this diet and should be congratulated for it, nobody is denying that and may it long continue.

You can call me what you like love it doesn't bother me, if you or her cant take distructive criticism then this is your fault not mine. Take care

wowser!!!!!

I think people are getting distracted from the actual topic here - ryan air charging fat tax!!!!

Come on guys - theres no need to make things personal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back