Step 1 Sole Source + Sabotage, negativity and haters

frenchie

Is anyone else experiencing some rather vitriolic hatred of The Cambridge Diet from friends and colleagues? I am. And is anyone else noticing subtle sabotage attempts? Ive had one yesterday.

Infact yesterday was crappy because some collegaue i *barely* even know began telling me doing CD was 'mad', that i would regain all the weight i lose and more, that i 'wont stay on it long'. Then, he opened this conversation up to the whoooole office, and everyone started banging on about Slimming World, Weight Watchers, how its excersize you need to do to lose weight. Basically, i was just sitting there listening to everyone tell me CD is stupid. I felt really annoyed.

Then last night my ex dropped our kid off and brought a family bag of Maltesers, beers, crisps and sandwiches. He is well aware i am on CD. Bearing mind i was 18st 8 when i was with him its needless to say he is a feeder. I called him on it right away and he just laughed. He then said i "will crumble". But i didnt.

i want to channel the hate into motivation but i do feel annoyed a bit.

Sorry, if this is a rant, didnt mean it to be, im really jsut curious if anyone else has had this from people.

hi frenchie,

you will always get people with snide comments and telling you its a waste of time...just take no notice of them..i usually find the people who are saying these things are people who have weight to lose themselves...
im in a small office and they all no im on CD ..
i havent had any negative comments as yet but if people do say anything i will just ignore them , its your body, your feelings that matter not theirs, and as for your partner/hubby laughing and making snide comments about you falling off the wagon again rise above it ...you will feel better in yourself for doing this , you will be healthier slimmer and happier..just keep that in mind

keep going hunny

jane xx

This is precisely why I haven't told a soul. It's between me and my CDC! People want you to stay overweight, it makes them feel better about themselves!

Just wait til you walk into your office in some new goal weight clothes and see what they say then! :)

I have had a few negative comments from my other half.. More about the money and how I would pay less for a gym membership..blah blah. He doesn't understand it though really. I am hoping that when he sees me doing so well with it he will begin to show a bit more support and encouragement.

People at work are a nightmare. I had to put up with a pack of thorntons millionaire shortbread sat on the edge of my desk all afternoon today. ******* they are!!

Is anyone else experiencing some rather vitriolic hatred of The Cambridge Diet from friends and colleagues? I am. And is anyone else noticing subtle sabotage attempts? Ive had one yesterday.

Infact yesterday was crappy because some collegaue i *barely* even know began telling me doing CD was 'mad', that i would regain all the weight i lose and more, that i 'wont stay on it long'. Then, he opened this conversation up to the whoooole office, and everyone started banging on about Slimming World, Weight Watchers, how its excersize you need to do to lose weight. Basically, i was just sitting there listening to everyone tell me CD is stupid. I felt really annoyed.

Then last night my ex dropped our kid off and brought a family bag of Maltesers, beers, crisps and sandwiches. He is well aware i am on CD. Bearing mind i was 18st 8 when i was with him its needless to say he is a feeder. I called him on it right away and he just laughed. He then said i "will crumble". But i didnt.

i want to channel the hate into motivation but i do feel annoyed a bit.

Sorry, if this is a rant, didnt mean it to be, im really jsut curious if anyone else has had this from people.

This is what's happening to me too, I've been on cd before but this time I've only told my husband and my mum, and that's only because they would notice!. My husbands dead against it saying I'm mad and it's so unhealthy and I'm not allowed to talk about it to him or say if I'm having a bad day with it because he's "told me so" which is one of the reasons I came on here for some support. Everyone always says you'll put it straight back on and it's just a quick fix, I think you bloody try doing it!!!!, they make me mad too!!!!. X

I think really it's just that people don't understand how it works. I had equally vitriolic comments when I first did Atkins years ago - and that was because no one could quite comprehend how a diet of eggs and bacon and double cream could possibly be healthy. :D (Of course, if that was the full story about Atkins, they'd be right - it's funny how people forget that low carb vegetables are recommended as well as fat and protein). Anyway, I digress...

It does seem very drastic to most people, especially to folks who just couldn't contemplate having nothing but shakes/soups and bars for weeks on end. And of course the media doesn't help. A recent programme on Channel 5 described Cambridge as a fad diet. Er, no it isn't. It was designed by doctors getting on for thirty-five years ago. It's one of the most tested and researched types of diet ever. It's just most people honestly believe that calorie counting or doing WW and SW is the way you should lose weight. Oh and lots of people believe that lots of exercise is the way to go. But exercise is quite tricky to do when you're significantly overweight and most people in higher weight brackets risk doing more harm than good. Plus when all comes to all, even an hour of strenuous exercise a day doesn't burn more than 400 or so calories at a time. Plus it tends to make you even more hungry, meaning that all your best efforts to eat less and move more tend to fall over the moment you get home and find that your OH is tucking into a Chinese takeaway and just so happens to have bought enough for two "just in case"...

Doing a VLCD is about as close as not eating as you can get. When you give up smoking you can give up cigarettes. But imagine if instead of giving them up someone said that the best way of giving up was to have 20 cigarettes instead of your usual 25... Not going to work really, is it? There'll be days where despite your best efforts you end up having 25, maybe even more. Much better if you can to stop smoking altogether. And doing a VLCD is a similar sort of thing. Instead of deciding to eat 1500 calories instead of 2500, you don't eat any at all - you use the meal replacement products instead. And in doing so, you break all the habitual things that go with eating - in the same way that smokers have to break the ritual of having a cigarette after meals. You learn that just because you're sad, happy, lonely or bored you don't have to eat to make those feelings go away. You find out those feelings pass and find other things to do instead. Whereas if you're doing something like SW there's always some free food you could go and trough - eat your own bodyweight in Mullerlights - or on WW gorge yourself silly on Point Free soup. How do you learn not to "use" food doing one of those plans? :confused:

Plus the results on a VLCD are fast. Seeing those pounds fly off is about the most motivating thing in the world, especially if you've been overweight for a while. You can lose in a month what might have taken you 3 months on a conventional diet (particularly if you keep accidentally overindulging whilst on that conventional diet). And that, for anyone who's ever struggled to stick to a diet, has to be the best thing in the world about it. You don't have to think about what to have for tea - and the pounds will be off in half the time.

But people get confused about what it's all about. Some will have had a grim time on something like SlimFast and don't realise that the diets aren't the same at all.

The nay-sayers think they're being helpful though - don't forget that. Most of us have seen people fall off diets in spectacular style and they easily decide that anyone on the "mad crazy food replacement diet" is surely going to fall off sooner than most. Plus, as I think someone's already said, many folks, especially those who have few pounds to lose themselves, are worried that one day very soon you're going to be slimmer than they are.

They should be worried. You will be. :D

Last edited:
I've started CD myself, well, I can't afford the weekly packs so I've just got shake and soups. I've decided to replace the bars with fruit and making sure I don't over step the 600 max kcal intake. 7 days and 9lbs lost doing this. Any tips and pointers for a complete newbie? I'm struggling to cope with the comments about it being 'unhealthy' I've tried to explain the steps but they are convinced it will all pile back on. Quite annoying, and then they blame the diet on my being grouchy when its actually there comments that have put me in that mood. Argh, people! Lol x

Yes, ditch the fruit! Full of carbs and citric acid. Both of which will keep you out of ketosis and leave you hungry.

Make sure you drink your water too it does help. We need to remember that we are doing it for ourselves not other people and it doesn't matter if they think it's a bad diet they don't have to do it!!. X

Yes, ditch the fruit! Full of carbs and citric acid. Both of which will keep you out of ketosis and leave you hungry.

I see! Lots of water it is then :) good surprise this morning, though I stepped on the scales 2 days early I'm down 3 more pounds! X Thanks x

I've started CD myself, well, I can't afford the weekly packs so I've just got shake and soups. I've decided to replace the bars with fruit and making sure I don't over step the 600 max kcal intake. 7 days and 9lbs lost doing this. Any tips and pointers for a complete newbie? I'm struggling to cope with the comments about it being 'unhealthy' I've tried to explain the steps but they are convinced it will all pile back on. Quite annoying, and then they blame the diet on my being grouchy when its actually there comments that have put me in that mood. Argh, people! Lol x

Sorry, I'm a bit confused (probably my advanced age and foggy keto brain ;)). Cambridge don't do weekly packs. And your consultant was happy to sell you 14 products instead of 21?? That's not good - you need 3 packs a day if you're going to have less than 600 calories. There's no way you can get all the protein, carb, fat, fibre, vitamins and minerals otherwise.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying? :confused:

Aw thanks everybody!

I think i just need to ignore everybody like you all said and remember my goals and reasons for doing this. Also, regarding cost: i actually think im spending LESS money on CD as im not frittering money on coffees and lunches etc. Its a rather nice side effect :) But it maybe says more about my rubbish spending habits up until now hehe.

Today that same guy in the office saw me making up my soup and started to 'tease' me, but actually he as just taking the piss, andhe began singing 'youre just too good to be TRuuuuue" at me when i refused a biscuit later. I may tell him to eff off before the week is through, i can feel it....! ;)

oh dear is this what ive got to come? I've only told my husband and children so far and dread this negativity. :wave_cry:

oh dear is this what ive got to come? I've only told my husband and children so far and dread this negativity. :wave_cry:

Please don't worry - I have been very lucky to have nothing but positivity from work colleagues and friends! Lots of them asking about what the diet entails, and I'm not really sure they understand it completely, but they have all been supportive

I had this from a work colleague... All the same things they said to you, it'll never work, you'll put it all back on blah blah blah so in the end I just said look this is a decision I have made, if I fail it will be because of my own bad choices so either fake support me or don't say anything at all. Turns out it was jealousy as she wants to loose weight but is one of these people who would rather get really really large and ask NHS for an op.

I also meant to say the people I find the worst are health care professionals. Would you believe I went to the nurse yesterday and she was like 'oh you've lost weight in a really surprised tone' then stupidly said 'how have you done that' to which I replied ehhh 'I've been on a diet' she looked almost mad that she couldn't give me a telling off but proceeded to say yes well your BMI is still in the obese range! AS IF I DON'T KNOW THAT YOU SILLY WOMAN HOW ABOUT SAYING WELL DONE haha sorry rant over

I am getting a daily ransacking at lunch time, I'm really glad that I've got so much on right now that I am eating at my desk a lot. A guy was saying "in my opinion...blah blah" I'd had enough at this point and told him to keep his opinion to himself, he was so shocked as its completely out of my character lol, it worked though!

And yes, a lot of it is purely concern, and when I explain it they generally understand but there is still negativity. I'm very glad for the 3 (yup out of an office of about 50!) who are supportive and ask me how I'm getting on and are genuinely interested!

It's annoying, mainly just for the fact I'm having the same conversation over and over, but other than that I don't care, I'm doing it for me, not them!

weighed myself today, day 11 and I've lost another 5 lbs so i really dont care what anyones says im doing this and they cant stop me with there jealous negitive vibes!!!!!!!!! :banana dancer:

Back