Sainsbury's Cranberry & Raspberry Spring Water

Discussion in 'Very Low Calorie Diets' started by cah-ching, 1 February 2007 Social URL.

1. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

Has anyone on VLCD tried it? I bought some today at it doesn't contain Citric acid, ingredients as follows (from memory):

Spring Water
    Malic Acid
    Sucrolose (or something)

Was oing to try some but for the sake of dropping out of ketosis for thesake of a 75p bottle of flavoured water, I thought I'd come on here and ask first .....:)

... me a saddo with no life apart from work and posting on minimins. :(

Thanks .....
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. canireallydothis!!

canireallydothis!! Gold Member

Well, Im a saddo too!!! Not sure about it though, its the sucrolose stuff that might be a problem.

I must admit when I was on SS I had the fanta apple zero once a week and it never seemed to affect me, I dont test for Ketosis so I wouldnt know if it kicked me out but I never felt any the worse for having it!
  4. canireallydothis!!

canireallydothis!! Gold Member

Ahhh, sucralose is splenda, just googled it, so if splenda is allowed then you should be ok!

However, it might kick off cravings though
  5. mags1x

mags1x mags

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Bit of this bit of that
    anything ending in 'ose' as far as I know is a form of sugar and isn't allowed.

Splenda probably would be allowed but only in tablet form, the powdered stuff would not be and maybe thats what they use in the bottles of water.

I don't know for sure but I think the answer would be treat with caution!

6. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

Thanks for your answers! For the sake of 75p I stayed well away! My usual shop is in Sainsbury's or Marks and Spencer (The snob in me says I really can't stand Morrisons or Asda and only go for specifics). Sansbury's do sell Perfectly clear, but not the Strawberry and Kiwi flavour, so wanted an alternative. I wasn't sure how detrimental sucralose was ....

7. jane

jane Opinionated

Sucralose is the baddie.Marketed as splenda. the sucralose molecule itself is OK,what they've done is they've twisted the sucrose molecule (common sugar) to make a sort of mirror image. our taste buds still recieve it as sweet but our digestive enzymes can't break it down to use for glucose. BUT ror reasons I don't know the splenda also contains Maltodextrin which is a molecule midway between starch & sugar &can be easily metabolised to glucose &put you out of ketosis. Splenda tabs & granules both contain it- Do you think it possible that it's alsoin the juice?
    My big Q is; WHY is it necessary for splenda to contain maltodextrin?
  8. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

WOW Jane,

Big thank you for that!
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.