Salad ideas

bigjaco

An anyone give any ideas for salads? Pref as syn free as possible

Getting sick of the same old salads

Tuna nicoise - can count the tuna as a healthy extra if on a green day

I'm sure I have some others somewhere, will try to find them.

What kind of salads do u normally have? If it's iceberg toms and cucumber u could change the lettuce for some lovely rocket or watercress. U could try the yellow or green tomatoes for a visual change. I love Greek salad so u could add feta and some olives. U can even have hot salads- jamie Oliver is mad on salads so u could have a look on line for some of his recipies. Just make a few adjustments to make them sw friendly.

What a good question!! I always end up with the same salad. On a red day I do basic lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions all chopped up and mixed in a bowl, but getting bored of it now!!

On a green day I do potato salad: boiled new potatoes, peas, grated carrot, boiled pasta, red onion and hellmans extra light mayonaise (0.5 syns per tablespoon) and it's yum!

I like the idea given above of adding tuna. I should use peppers more too, they add a bit of colour.

Cant think of anything else yet, but hopefully there will be a few more ideas.

Have you tried tabbouleh?? Its really nice using bulgar wheat which is a bit of a cross between rice and couscous. You buy it dry in a bag and they normally have a tabbouleh recipe on the pack.

I normally soak the bulgar wheat in veg stock and add some dried parsley, then add as much chopped tomatoes, cucumber, sping onion and peppers as I want add some lemon juice and sugar free mint sauce, its lovely and very refreshing.

Ill usually throw in a mix of yellow peppers, red peppers, sprimg onions, grapes, sandwich ham and honey roast chicken

I also throw in iceburg lettuce, then every now and again boiled eggs

Do like the tuna addition

I have iceberg, and cucumbers, couple of boiled eggs, some kind of meat (chicken//bacon) I also tried something the other day, it may seem weird to some people, but I added grapes to it, I took a bite of grape, lettuce, cucumber and I tell you what, it tasted so lovely and fresh, I always add grapes onto my salad now, seriously dont knock until you tried :D

I agree! Grapes, apple chunks, cheddar, feta, gherkins - all lovely when added to an ordinary salad (obv not all at the same time!)

I like to add some sweetcorn to my salads. I've been eating alot of fish stick salads recently, I'm a bit addicted to them with a splash of vinegar!

Here is my Tuna recipe...........

Pete’s Tuna Couscous Salad

Serves 2

Ingredients

100g couscous
200mL boiling vegetable stock
100g cucumber, chopped finely
Zest of a lemon
1 celery stick, chopped finely
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 spring onion, chopped finely
1 small tin of Tuna
Lettuce, finely chopped
1 Tomato, finely chopped

Method

Place the couscous in a large bowl and add the hot veg. stock. Mix with a fork, cover with cling film and set aside for 5 mins.

Open 1 tin of tuna and flake it, add to the now cooled couscous .
Fluff up the couscous and add the other ingredients, zest the lemon, add seasoning.

Cover and put in the fridge to cool until required

Attachments

• Tuna Couscous Salad (Large).JPG
    Tuna Couscous Salad (Large).JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,310
goats cheese, halloumi, capers, beetroot, falafels, onion bhaji, quiche, olives all work (not together) poached salmon, bean salad,

Warm Chicken Caesar Salad, made with lettuce, red onion, 1tbls Tesco Finest Caesar Dressing (2 syns), 14g of grated parmesan (1/2 HExA) and a pan 'fried' chicken breast.......

003-2.jpg

Wow some yummy ideas !!! I've just started working full time on shifts but these are all things I can prepare before hand and still have something interesting to eat. Something I really like which I nicked from morrisons salad bar I just made it more slimmingworld friendly is pasta precooked, either tuna or prawns, some veggies sweetcorn, cucumber/green peppers if I can stomach them. I mix this with two or three tablespoons of extra light mayo then add like a mini salad with lettuce tomatoes etc. It is roughly 1 to 1.5 syns depending how many tablespoons of mayo you add and thats on extra easy.

I also like having smoked salmon or prawns to a salad that can make it seem more posh !!!

Nom feeling hungry thinking about it lol !

Wow some yummy ideas !!! I've just started working full time on shifts but these are all things I can prepare before hand and still have something interesting to eat. Something I really like which I nicked from morrisons salad bar I just made it more slimmingworld friendly is pasta precooked, either tuna or prawns, some veggies sweetcorn, cucumber/green peppers if I can stomach them. I mix this with two or three tablespoons of extra light mayo then add like a mini salad with lettuce tomatoes etc. It is roughly 1 to 1.5 syns depending how many tablespoons of mayo you add and thats on extra easy.

I also like having smoked salmon or prawns to a salad that can make it seem more posh !!!

Nom feeling hungry thinking about it lol !

I did something similar yesterday. Mixed tuna with onions and hellman's lighter than light mayo (0.5 syns per tbsp) used about 3 tbsps for 2 cans of tuna. Add pepper. Then the salad veg - I put lettuce, cucumber, yellow pepper, gherkins and shredded carrot..delicious!! And it made 3 large servings! Filled me up completely for lunch and less than 1 syn!

You could also make it into chicken mayo or prawn mayo.

That egg salad dish will find itself onto my dinner plate tonight me thinks

Back