• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Salad ideas

Aymz

Silver Member
S: 16st7lb C: 16st2lb G: 11st0lb BMI: 36.5 Loss: 0st5lb(2.16%)
Tuna nicoise - can count the tuna as a healthy extra if on a green day

I'm sure I have some others somewhere, will try to find them.

S: 1st2.9lb C: 0st10.9lb G: 0st10.9lb BMI: 1.8 Loss: 0st6lb(35.5%)
Gem lettuce,green beans,any other salad you like, mix course mustard with lemon juice,sprinkle over salad yummy.

What kind of salads do u normally have? If it's iceberg toms and cucumber u could change the lettuce for some lovely rocket or watercress. U could try the yellow or green tomatoes for a visual change. I love Greek salad so u could add feta and some olives. U can even have hot salads- jamie Oliver is mad on salads so u could have a look on line for some of his recipies. Just make a few adjustments to make them sw friendly.

What a good question!! I always end up with the same salad. On a red day I do basic lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions all chopped up and mixed in a bowl, but getting bored of it now!!

On a green day I do potato salad: boiled new potatoes, peas, grated carrot, boiled pasta, red onion and hellmans extra light mayonaise (0.5 syns per tablespoon) and it's yum!

I like the idea given above of adding tuna. I should use peppers more too, they add a bit of colour.

Cant think of anything else yet, but hopefully there will be a few more ideas.

C: 9st7.0lb G: 9st7.0lb BMI: 21.5
Have you tried tabbouleh?? Its really nice using bulgar wheat which is a bit of a cross between rice and couscous. You buy it dry in a bag and they normally have a tabbouleh recipe on the pack.

I normally soak the bulgar wheat in veg stock and add some dried parsley, then add as much chopped tomatoes, cucumber, sping onion and peppers as I want add some lemon juice and sugar free mint sauce, its lovely and very refreshing.

Ill usually throw in a mix of yellow peppers, red peppers, sprimg onions, grapes, sandwich ham and honey roast chicken

I also throw in iceburg lettuce, then every now and again boiled eggs

Do like the tuna addition

Viixenx

~*I always end up back here*~
I have iceberg, and cucumbers, couple of boiled eggs, some kind of meat (chicken//bacon) I also tried something the other day, it may seem weird to some people, but I added grapes to it, I took a bite of grape, lettuce, cucumber and I tell you what, it tasted so lovely and fresh, I always add grapes onto my salad now, seriously dont knock until you tried :D

Aymz

Silver Member
I agree! Grapes, apple chunks, cheddar, feta, gherkins - all lovely when added to an ordinary salad (obv not all at the same time!)

S: 17st10lb C: 16st0lb G: 13st0lb BMI: 32.1 Loss: 1st10lb(9.68%)
I like to add some sweetcorn to my salads. I've been eating alot of fish stick salads recently, I'm a bit addicted to them with a splash of vinegar!

bilsat

Really likes to cook
S: 18st11.5lb C: 11st9.5lb G: 11st11.5lb BMI: 23.5 Loss: 7st2lb(37.95%)
Here is my Tuna recipe...........

Pete’s Tuna Couscous Salad

Serves 2

Ingredients

100g couscous
200mL boiling vegetable stock
100g cucumber, chopped finely
Zest of a lemon
1 celery stick, chopped finely
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 spring onion, chopped finely
1 small tin of Tuna
Lettuce, finely chopped
1 Tomato, finely chopped

Method

Place the couscous in a large bowl and add the hot veg. stock. Mix with a fork, cover with cling film and set aside for 5 mins.

Open 1 tin of tuna and flake it, add to the now cooled couscous .
Fluff up the couscous and add the other ingredients, zest the lemon, add seasoning.

Cover and put in the fridge to cool until required

Attachments

felicity62

Silver Member
S: 11st9lb C: 10st4lb BMI: 24 Loss: 1st5lb(11.66%)
goats cheese, halloumi, capers, beetroot, falafels, onion bhaji, quiche, olives all work (not together) poached salmon, bean salad,

ginlin

Better to Drink your Syns
S: 12st10.5lb C: 11st12lb G: 11st6.5lb BMI: 26.8 Loss: 0st12.5lb(7%)
A warm boiled egg and ham salad with 1 tbls of salad cream (2.5 syns)....

ginlin

Better to Drink your Syns
S: 12st10.5lb C: 11st12lb G: 11st6.5lb BMI: 26.8 Loss: 0st12.5lb(7%)
Warm Chicken Caesar Salad, made with lettuce, red onion, 1tbls Tesco Finest Caesar Dressing (2 syns), 14g of grated parmesan (1/2 HExA) and a pan 'fried' chicken breast.......

zillie

SlinkySlimmer !!!
S: 17st10lb C: 16st11lb G: 10st7lb BMI: 37.9 Loss: 0st13lb(5.24%)
Wow some yummy ideas !!! I've just started working full time on shifts but these are all things I can prepare before hand and still have something interesting to eat. Something I really like which I nicked from morrisons salad bar I just made it more slimmingworld friendly is pasta precooked, either tuna or prawns, some veggies sweetcorn, cucumber/green peppers if I can stomach them. I mix this with two or three tablespoons of extra light mayo then add like a mini salad with lettuce tomatoes etc. It is roughly 1 to 1.5 syns depending how many tablespoons of mayo you add and thats on extra easy.

I also like having smoked salmon or prawns to a salad that can make it seem more posh !!!

Nom feeling hungry thinking about it lol !

Aymz

Silver Member
Wow some yummy ideas !!! I've just started working full time on shifts but these are all things I can prepare before hand and still have something interesting to eat. Something I really like which I nicked from morrisons salad bar I just made it more slimmingworld friendly is pasta precooked, either tuna or prawns, some veggies sweetcorn, cucumber/green peppers if I can stomach them. I mix this with two or three tablespoons of extra light mayo then add like a mini salad with lettuce tomatoes etc. It is roughly 1 to 1.5 syns depending how many tablespoons of mayo you add and thats on extra easy.

I also like having smoked salmon or prawns to a salad that can make it seem more posh !!!

Nom feeling hungry thinking about it lol !

I did something similar yesterday. Mixed tuna with onions and hellman's lighter than light mayo (0.5 syns per tbsp) used about 3 tbsps for 2 cans of tuna. Add pepper. Then the salad veg - I put lettuce, cucumber, yellow pepper, gherkins and shredded carrot..delicious!! And it made 3 large servings! Filled me up completely for lunch and less than 1 syn!

Aymz

Silver Member
You could also make it into chicken mayo or prawn mayo.

That egg salad dish will find itself onto my dinner plate tonight me thinks