Sammy's road to slimdom!!

Its your journey, honey. I know exactly what you mean....the same thing happened to my hubby. People would come in to the shop (he works with his brother who owns a carpet/flooring shop and they have lots of repeat customers) and see him the last time he got quite thin and would say "Oh, youre looking a bit too thin now..." and "you can't still be dieting, surely?" and in fact, a rumor started around our town that he had aids or cancer. Insane, as he still had easily a stone to lose. I dont really know why people do it but it happens all time so it must be some warped human nature. Its almost eerie that people think its ok to just say crap like that. Anyway. Hubby just ignored it. he would say something to them that conveyed, with respect, that it wasnt really their business or their right to comment. lol He didnt pay a blind bit of notice to any of it and just kept on. Of course he gained his weight back, but that ties in with what you said about the brain issue. He's a chocoholic too. Big time. He could eat JUST chocolate (and copious amounts of it) all day, every day. Its bad. and the foods he likes are very carb and fat heavy...pies, sausage rolls, curries, rice, breads. Ah well. Anyway. Of course, now he's gotten fat again everyone talks (quietly, behind his back....lol but loud enough that it gets back to us) about how fat he is. "Oy, youre a big lad!" People suck!

You have to do what makes you happy. :)

Gosh. I know exactly where you are. Had all those feelings back in 2008 when I made it to goal. It helped that I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve weight wise, however confused I was by what that would mean, how I would look and whether I'd be able to maintain.

Have responses ready for those making comments - I used to say depending on the comment and the person

I'm only ever going to get to a healthy weight with this diet and then see how I go
This is really confusing for me too, I'm not sure where I'll end up but just leave me be while I experiment a bit
looking the person up and down - oh don't worry I don't intend to get any slimmer than say you and you look pretty healthy. (they deserved it!)
Because you had to have a doctors check every 4 weeks at Lighter Life I could also use that and tell them how my blood pressure was going down and how happy the doctor was etc

All very ridiculous that people think they can comment at the low weight but they would never say ' I think you're probably morbidly obese by now if you don't do something you're going to die' I know we wouldn't want to hear that but it's potentially more useful from a health point of view!!!

This is a great chance to keep going and get to where you want to be. Ultimately you may decide to weigh more but it's easier to experiment from the bottom of the range I think. I did have some therapy when I was about 4 months into maintenance - it wasn't so much the food but how to deal with the world in general and for me attention from men, in particular. I find it really helpful and I do still go every once in a while for a general mental health check.

As for the chocolate and biscuits it is possible not to have them in the house so that they become something that is eaten outside and therefore limits it or perhaps something that is only brought in on certain occasions. I couldn't leave two biscuits in the pack like your sister either, so I don't have a biscuit or cake tin. I bake occasionally and I figure my OH gets enough biscuits when he's out of the house - and the last time I looked it wasn't one of the major food groups so he won't die without! They are my absolute downfall and I will probably never trust myself around them.

I don't think there is one easy answer. I think people who maintain a healthy weight are not lucky they are vigilant all the time whether that is conscious or habit. The best quote on all of it I read was 'Being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard. Choose your hard'

I decided to have chocolate around the house as I want to teach myself how to have the things I love in moderation rather than just banning them. I love chocolate, usually I could open a box and eat half of them but when I had a blip a couple of days ago I ate 2 then put the box away. I'm hoping that means I am retraining my brain. Not sure what to do about the comments, no-one knows I'm doing this so not had this problem x

Great idea for counselling for maintenance i'm going to do that for sure even if it's just one session to make a list of coping strategies or something...it's interesting to 'watch' those who are almost at goal and starting to maintain as this is what I worry about too, it's terrifying.

And people are so annoying with the comments, I think part of it is that they're just not used to seeing you at a certain size and it looks strange to them but if they just met you for the first time they wouldn't think you were too thin

And not forgetting that people do have a weird tendency to try to sabotage your success instead of being happy for you and helping you to maintain

I'm rambling now...!!

Thank you guys, I'm sorry to have a moan but I knew you guys would understand. I really appreciate you listening to my rant and helping me clear the fog Xx

After feeling pretty low this morning I did a Zumba class and wow wee was it good!! I really enjoyed it!! I had a massive ham and onion omelette for breaky to give me the energy to do it and I took a bar with me (just incase!) but didn't actually have it.
Had a hot hazelnut shake and say down to read your replies which really cheered me up and helped me get back into the right frame of mind.
Means so much that you guys take the time to read my mammoth rant and to give me a helpful reply too. It's very kind. *soppy hugs!*

Had the spag Bol for din dins - bubba had a baby friendly spaghetti, hubby had his naughty yummy spaghetti and I had my pack! :)
Popped an oxo cube in it which hit the spot! And I had slim rice too to bulk it out.

Am over on calories - 792 and my carbs are 72g. So a bit overindulgent today, but hoping my Zumba and walking today will have helped combat it. Plus my 150 squats!!

Gonna have a hot caramel shake in a bit and watch a film with hubby... That's if he ever stops playing with little 'un and realises she needs to be calm and relaxed for bed!
:)

Thanks again everyone. Xx

Well done on the Zumba, it's amazing how good exercise can make you feel xx

Sorry I missed you today hun...been in and out all day.....really glad you feel better about things...you just need to get these things and know you're not alone or mad...you've done brilliantly and you're doing this for you....:)

Powell done toning to Zumba....and go you on the squats too....warrior princess Sammy wins again :cool: xx

Hey Sammy, sorry to hear you're having, what I would consider, sniping comments. As I was always told, opinions are like @ssh*les, everyone's got one!

I couldn't give you advice from personal experience because I've never been there myself but I think I would handle it using the honesty approach. I'd tell them I'd set a target and I am so close to it, that's why it looks like i don't have any more to loose. Getting these last few lb off has been hard, but this target is really important to me and your support so far has been great, if you could just support me over the finish line I'd be so grateful. Or something along those lines.

Hope this gives you some ammo in dealing with people like that. I think sometimes people under-estimate the power of their words.

Hope you have a good day x

I completely understand where your coming from with it.

You appear to have a completely different outlook of food and exercise now and in sure once at goal you'll do great x x

How are you Sammy? Sorry to hear you had a bit of a rough time. Personally I wouldn't take much notice of it but I know it's easier said and than done.
Just stay positive and keep your head high. It's your journey and your alone and if someone has a problem with it then that's ok. They don't need to understand as long as you do..

hope you're having a great weekend.

M x

Thanks guys! It's good to hear it as I felt like I was being a cow by getting annoyed with these comments. Thank you everyone!

Finally got little un to sleep after hubby over stimulating her bedtime! Lol.

A momentous thing has happened today....

I finally finished the fifty shades trilogy! I practically skim read the third book and all it did was confirm that I already knew how it would end while reading book one. But I hate leaving a series of books unread so I'm glad I finally did it! Even if that is a few hours of my life I dedicated to it that I'll never get back! Lol!! Feel like I need to read something deep and educational next to repair a few brain cells! Ha ha.

Oh - and while on the momentous occasions...

Weigh in today...

Pyjama weigh in was 10 stone bang on.
Naked weigh in was 9st, 13lbs!! Yippeeee!!
There's a 9 on my scales! MY scales (-for those of you following my scales saga!).

So whilst feeling happy I decided to measure myself: I have lost a total of 42" from my body from 1st Sept.
(Actually it's probably a tad more as I didn't measure my bust).
42 inches!! Jeeez!! That's including 11 inches off my hips/bum and 10 inches off my waist!!

So there we go.
Happy Sunday! :)

Xx

Pyjama weigh in was 10 stone bang on. Naked weigh in was 9st, 13lbs!! Yippeeee!! There's a 9 on my scales! MY scales (-for those of you following my scales saga!). So whilst feeling happy I decided to measure myself: I have lost a total of 42" from my body from 1st Sept. (Actually it's probably a tad more as I didn't measure my bust). 42 inches!! Jeeez!! That's including 11 inches off my hips/bum and 10 inches off my waist!! So there we go. Happy Sunday! :) Xx

That is simply fab omg woow well done hunii omg soo jel at the sme time bt oh soo happy for uu yaaaaayyy well doneeee cnt say it nuf eeeeekkkkk 'happy scream' btw loolz n the inch loss is js fantastic eeee i wn tthe inches to drop lool tooo xx

Pyjama weigh in was 10 stone bang on. Naked weigh in was 9st, 13lbs!! Yippeeee!! There's a 9 on my scales! MY scales (-for those of you following my scales saga!). So whilst feeling happy I decided to measure myself: I have lost a total of 42" from my body from 1st Sept. (Actually it's probably a tad more as I didn't measure my bust). 42 inches!! Jeeez!! That's including 11 inches off my hips/bum and 10 inches off my waist!! So there we go. Happy Sunday! :) Xx

OMG Sammy that must feel amazing just knowing how much much smaller you are, and we'll done for getting into the 9's on YOUR scales!! lol (just think what you'd be on your sisters scales!! lol, only joking) :D x

Hi Sammy

I've been absent recently. Tried SW for a few weeks but I just can't come to terms with losing so little. Went to a wedding this weekend and became majorly unhappy just because I feel so self conscious and everything.

So I'm giving myself no choice I have to do s&s to get the majority bulk off. There will be times when I have no choice but to be off plan I.e it's my mums bday in two weeks and we have a spa day booked with two course lunch. But whenever I do I will be Atkins style so still ketosis and it will be that meal only!! Not a full blow out.

I just wanted to pop by because you were so amazing and doing so well that it motivates me!!!!

Xxxxx

Thanks guys, think I'm still in shock. Happy shock!! :)
It's going slowly now and I have a few planned breaks so think I'll be hovering around 9,13 for a while now. But would love it if a little more came off.

Hey emmaedes, it's a tough diet as you know but you sound determined and mixing it with Atkins sounds similar to what I'm going to do for my planned breaks. I know I'll be having alcohol so will come out of ketosis but will try to follow the Atkins stage 2 (? I think it is) where you're allowed wine!
Good luck hun, I'll track down your diary in a bit to do some cheerleading ;)

Xx

Back