Sarah's Diary

sarah5

I have been motivated to start a diary after reading various other people's diaries, I think it's a great idea to keep on track and useful to look back on how we were feeling at particular times, etc.

Anyway today is day 5 and so far I am absolutely loving this plan.. I don't use the word "diet" as to me this is simply not a diet, this really is a way of life. Yes I know some days I will go off track but I really hope I can stick to this one and get the weight off for good.

I have been yo-yo dieting for the last 2 years.. 3 times I have lost and regained 4 stone :mad: on Cambridge and Lighterlife diets and wouldn't touch them now with a bargepole. Every time my hair fell out in clumps and I had terrible digestive problems.. why I did it 3 times I really don't know, I guess it was the excitement of losing weight so quickly. Anyway, I don't mean to diss that particular "diet" but it obviously wasn't for me, as every time I lost the weight it all piled back on - and more (plus the hair loss and digestive problems!).

I have started this diary to help keep me on track and basically just to write down what I'm eating, how I'm feeling, weight losses (hopefully!), etc.

I'm so happy to be back on Minimins, everyone is soooo helpful and motivational (I used to come on here when I was doing CD and LL) and I have found this SW forum to be extremely welcoming :)

Hope to speak to more of you out there soon and I look forward to reading more of your diaries too!

xx

Hi Sarah, yes it is more of a lifestyle and I don't see it as a diet either. I look forward to seeing your progress on here x

I totally agree with your points, I couldn't do CD or LL type diets, dont have the willpower!! I love the support on here - I couldnt do it without you lot and I dont see it as a diet either!! xxx good luck and keep us updated x

Thank you rainbow and taz for your lovely messages x

I am utterly utterly full to the brim as I have had 2 what I would call proper meals today, although I'm still sure I have kept within the SW limits. Here is my food for today:

Breakfast: fruit & low fat natural yoghurt

Lunch: salad (lettuce, cucumber, peppers, carrot, raw cauliflower) with low fat cottage cheese

Tea: home made chicken, lentil & veg casserole with home made wedges (gravy 3 syns)

Snacks: diet coke, 6 pints of water, grapes & strawberries

Oh bugger I've just come back from the pre-school committee meeting and the host had put out loads of bowls of Doritos.. well I thought I would just have one and be done with it. Not so. I probably only had about a normal size bag of crisps worth but even so I am cross with myself because it's about 10 syns worth and I didn't want to have that many syns in the first week boohoo. Never mind, it could have been worse, she could have put chocolate cake/biscuits out!!

Oh bugger I've just come back from the pre-school committee meeting and the host had put out loads of bowls of Doritos.. well I thought I would just have one and be done with it. Not so. I probably only had about a normal size bag of crisps worth but even so I am cross with myself because it's about 10 syns worth and I didn't want to have that many syns in the first week boohoo. Never mind, it could have been worse, she could have put chocolate cake/biscuits out!!

Hi Sarah,

Don't worry about it, in fact I think you're better to use your syns in the beginning, it helps stop you from having a mad binge, because you don't need to? if that makes sense - also later on when you get nearer to target you'll probably be able to cut back on your syns to get to your goal weight:D

Hmm that makes perfect sense actually, I hadn't thought of it that way.. thanks for that, you've made me think about the way I'm doing things a bit more. Perhaps I need to remind myself that it is ok to have a few syns now and again. Tell you what though, after eating nothing but good nutritious and healthy food for the last 5 days my tummy really feels those doritos (I get IBS)!!

That is what I said when you posed your very first food diary and that is WHY I said it. 10 Syns is about right for a day but if you are having less than that a WEEK then when you feel like treating yourself it will have a bad effect.

As a diet rather than a lifestyle it is important not to deprive yourself of anything. Use your Syns and enjoy them!

Hi Sarah,

Sounds like your doing great! although I would agree with everyone you need to use your syns, I think it's the only way to keep at it. If you deprive yourself too much you'll feel like your going back down the old LL CD route.

The way you should be eating now you should be able to do for the rest of your life, it will mean that the weight will come of slower (frustrating! believe me I know!) but it will be worth it as you'll maintain it.

Keep up the good work Sarah, but give yourself a few treats, go on you know you're worth it. x x

thanks taz, thanks janey, i know you're right about the syns and this has always always always been my downfall with diets - i am an "all or nothing" person. so that means either bingeing till i'm physically sick or eating the bare minimum.. and that is precisely why i have always failed on diets LONG TERM. so you are both completely right, i do believe this is the key to me losing and keeping this weight off forever. i will have the syns.

thank you both, you have just made me realise why i have such a problem with long term loss and why i have been yo-yo dieting for the last 2-3 years.

Gaaagh just realised it's weigh in day tomorrow!! i KNOW i have lost because i feel fantastic and my jeans feel slightly more comfortable! am hoping for a 2lb loss this week, then 1-2 lbs weekly thereafter, which i think is a good healthy (and maintainable) weight loss

The key point here I think is that this isn't a diet and rather than looking at it as something you can fail at, work on re-educating the all or nothing thing

Yep you're right of course Taz, thanks, it's definitely about re-educating. I am SO determined to STOP this self destructive bingeing that I've been doing for sooooo long. I am going to lose the weight and keep it off and most importantly I am going to sort out the terrible relationship with food that has become (I know that's not proper English but I know what I mean lol!)

Food for today:

B: chopped fruit with Muller Light yoghurt and seeds (hex b)
L: 2 small slices of granary toast (hex b) with light marg (1 syn) and marmite
T: not sure yet but i'm desperate for it!
Snacks: strawberries, apple, 6 pints of water, diet coke, Nescafe Cappucinno (3 syns)

Thanks Taz! Glad someone else understands me hahahaha!!

Have made a decision about tea.. mmmm I am making a HUGE pot of pasta sauce (veg, pearl barley, lentils, tomato passata, etc) so I am having pasta n sauce (with a little cheese on top from hex a) yom yom can't wait!

You can't beat a good bowl of pasta. I really need to experiment with some other pasta sauces!

1st weigh in tonight AAAARRRRGH i will be soooooooooooo upset if i haven't lost anything as i have gone completely by the book and i feel so much better in myself.

nothing more to say of much excitement lol, i'll be back on later or tomorrow to update with the loss (hopefully!).

Back