Sarah's Management Thread (August 12th - November 5th 2007)

TG - That's a really interesting idea - and I sort of tried it, but I always end up threatening the watcher to back off which is not a great idea at work. I did it with a colleague in week 2 of management and when she said I wasn;t allowed to go back for more chocolate I actually got aggressive and told her to drop it. I tried to ask her again today - but I just couldn't. I tried it with smoking and it always failed - I would just find a way round it. If I had a watcher at work I would just go and eat secretly outside the office.

When I gave up smoking I just got on with it - much as I did with LL abstinence - I just shut myself away for two weeks and broke the back of it.

Anyway - more of that later.

Hi Sarah

Just tried to post a comment on your blog but it is blocking me for some reason. Just wanted to say you are doing really, really well. Hang on in there.

Big hug.

Mrs LXXXXXXXX

Well, I put the scales in the cupboard, but just couldn't resist a sneaky peek this evening - oh how foolish. I have put on 2 stone since my lowest weight. Ooops. Getting this into perspective, that is a weight at the end of a day after i have eaten at least 2 kilos of food and my slimmest weights were those taken in the morning in abstinence, so obviously I'm going to weigh a bit heavier, but obviously not 2stone heavier. It's come as a bit of a shock, especially as I thought i had done well this weekend, but the thing is, in real life, 2 days of doing well may just mean you are holding your weight. I'm not sure where the extra weight has come from - I didn;t exercise very much last week, but that's enough to warrant an extra lb going on, not an extra 10lbs! I just hope it was a blip or something. One thing's for sure, the scales are definitely going back in the cupboard.

It's cheese week here on RtM. But I don;t really want any cheese - instead I have made an old favourite to cook up in the evenings, Spinach, walnut and mushroom lasagne. Recipe to follow when I have cooked it up tomorrow night.

One good thing may come from today's scale trauma - I certainly can't take the p*ss with my binges any more - I have to apply the same brutal naysaying that I did in weeks 1-10 of abstinence. I think it might be Paul McKenna that's helping with my control this weekend - it's my first 2 days in a row of totally on plan and relatively intuitive eating (and I was only tempted to run out and buy icecream last night which can be a bit of a weekend night thing for me anyway) I lay down and listened to the CD instead.

Today I went and played badminton with friends. I had been dreading it, but it was a complete hoot. I wasn't as rubbish at it as I thought I would be.

I think I've fixed my bike now so it's back to cycling every day this week - the weather was unpredictable and I kept thinking I had a flat tyre last week - also I had been using my bus journeys to fit in an extra bit of Paul McKenna listening. Either that or I'm walking home from work to make sure I get my 10000 steps in - because whatever the scales can or can't show, I am getting chubby around my middle and my thighs again - and that's not part of the plan.

Hey Sarah :D

Great to see you back and posting. Please keep us up to date with how things are going. Have no doubt you'll soon be where you need/want to be.

I had a question for you. I noticed on your blog you were listening to Paul McKenna's change your life in 7 days CD. I am all read out just now and fancy mixing it up a bit with some CD's. Would you recommend?

:)

Yes - actually - if you're all read out, P McK's books are a good way to go because they're more like reading powerpoint slides! Change Your Life in 7 Days is a fun one - I think - if I'm honest, it worked first time round because it set me on the journey that led me to LL and taught me some of the tools and techniques that made me believe I could get through abstinence. The great think about Change Your Life is that if really gives you great energy before you start yoru day - or it gives you a kick up the backside when you get home in the evening - since I've been relistening to it I find that I get more fun things done in the evening. It's also really good at getting you to think about yourself postively. I wish I had listened to it when I was in abstinence (obviously his I Can Make You Slim CD refers too much to the process of eating to be useful on LL!)

Three days in a ROWWWW!!!!

This is the most jubilant I have been in some time - this is the first time I have managed three days without sugar deviation in a row for about a month, I think. It turns out that my morning weight is a lot lighter (so, phew!)

Oh - and the breasts are BACK! now, you might be thinking 'but Sarah, they never went away' but no, they did - they were quite scary and saggy at the end of abstinence and today they are 'ping!' back to normal, not droopy, just - well - breasty! Bearing in mind I was a 42 F at the beginning of the year and I am now a 32 G and I am the wrong side of 30 and I was expecting the worst for my poor puppies, it's great to see them restored to their former glory even if they are only just over a handful now rather than more than two handfuls. I don't even see the stretchmarks any more! (I had terrible sores and stretchmarks under my boobs when I hit morbidly obese)

It's quite pleasing to realise that even at this weight I have a different body composition and appearance than when I was passing it from the other side, my skin is plumper (in the good way!) so please rest assured, that scary bit when you get to the last stone and feel a bit like Skeletor in a sausage skin with gaunt face and crepey flappy bits, it all starts to go back to normal in a couple of months.

The most wonderful thing today was noticing that the 10 or so times I have listened to I Can Make You Thin have already paid off, by hardly thinking about it I find I am putting my fork down between mouthfuls. I'm not quite getting the 'full' signal yet (although, yes, I am full now) and when I got home from work i was about to stand at the fridge and whip a bit of grated carrot into my mouth - I caught myself and said 'no, I'm thirsty' I could have cheered!

I'm also really enjoying 'tasting' my food - it does make me feel more satisfied by my meals and less prone to seeking solace in the snack machine. I even got through today without a couple of black coffees - I did have two teas, but even so, my skinny builder's tea of the past used to push me towards sugar, and now it acts in place of it.

I find that the fruit and veg nibbling does tend to kick in when I'm thirsty - I assume my body has got used to getting liquid from fruit and veg - which is no bad thing.

The fruit crazes have settled down with the steady integration of pulses.

Tomorrow night is 'see if I can manage not to wolf down a 3 person portion of lasagne*' night. Wish me luck!

Tonight's dinner was savoy cabbage tossed in a caraway and mustard dressing with serrano ham with a generous helping of lentil and veggie stew. I had double helpings which was a bit er- well - not naughty, but I was trying to spot what 'full' felt like, and I think I missed the signal!

I had a bit of an unplanned fruitmunch after dinner, but that's better than raiding the chocolate machine during the 4pm sugar crash.

*spinach, mushroom and walnut lasagne made with Quark - so a healthy option, but my first venture into a pasta dish

well done sarah, I love all your postings.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah

This is great! And thanks for your comment (and very well done for everything you are doing - you are making fantastic progress, beyond food!). What you said was SOOOOOOOOO interesting and I think I will post about it - particularly the Paul McKenna bit.

I hope the lasagne didn't end up in one place!!!

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have the Paul McK cd, from one of my many previous forays into diet land! I am glad to hear that it may help me once I reach the dizzy heights of managment. As you know, my demons are reallt to the fore right now and knowiong that there is still hope is a good feeling. I am feeling quite proud today as it is my first in total abstinence for a very long time.

I am beginning to understand that my losnig weight and its lack of effect on certain pre-LL problems I had, has been one of the causes of my rebellion. My fat was a security blanket, which protected from my issues, and if could be relied upon to take the blame. Now I have finally accepted that, I hope I am now able todeal with these separately and see my way to the finish line.

Reading your story, Sarah, as alaways is a huge inspiration and I am so glad that you are coping now with your own foodie issues.

Keep going, and please keep posting. I need you!!

Ah - Sez -thank you!
There's more to come, never you fear!
And Mrs - thanks! There is a bit of lasagne left - I am full now, but I wasn't until about 3/4 of the way through - it was about 500 calories of lasagne at the most, all told, so - a normal healthy dinner and I did stop - eventually!

Anyway - stopping before I'm full is my next goal - but I find the whole intuitive eating thing a little odd - if you get a little hungry and think 'What do I want to eat?' by the time you've made (or in some cases, procured) what you want you may be in the danger zone of less than 3 on the hunger scale! I did make sure that I didn't nibble between getting home and waiting for the lasagne to cook - the message from the CD is very helpful - 'you'll start to notice how alert being a little hungry makes you' - or words to that effect - the CD is helping me to enjoy running down the tanks a little because eating when you're hungry is really enjoyable and fulfilling!

I raised the topic of lentil bloatiness with another online group and I was reminded that one should add fennel or aniseed seed to lentil spice mixes to try to combat the Blazin' Saddles campfire effect.

This is to mark 4 days of good management practice - by George I think she may have finally cracked it. I look at the snack machine with a mild disinterest - Paul McK, I could kiss you - (er - maybe not!)

I am building up to having a proper go at the mirror exercise tomorrow. I'm going to love and look after this body of mine if it does mean acting like a lunatic for 2 minutes every morning!

I had a great discussion with my boss from New York today and when the door shut he said 'Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?' - of course you can guess what it was - I explained that I had lost 100 lbs (I'm used to talking about my weight in Australian/European, English and American) and we talked about the weight - and it was great! It was so good that someone was so direct without being weird or having an angle about it - and I also talked about my strengths and I explained how I always look for connections - the holistic and adaptive approach - I like to merge things together where I can - I explained it by saying that I was trained well by TGI Fridays - we had an approach that meant that on each crcuit of the restaurant we were encouraged to make the most efficient 'shopping trip' - pick bus bins up from the bus stand and carry to kitchen, pick up food to go out from kitchen, take drinks order, take order up to service bar, deliver drinks from service bar and so on - finding the links and efficiencies delights me - and so finding this blend of Paul McKenna and LL working and complementing each other is pure indulgence for me! This is the drug that I crave!

The only processed food I have eaten in the last 4 days is Muller Lite yoghurts - other than growing my own (not exactly incentivised whilst Morrisons has Muller Lites on offer at 10 for £2!) I can't see a way round that yet.

Food today

Post cycle into work
Banana 100

40g All Bran and skimmed milk 100

Apple 50
Pear 50
Yog 100

Lunch 1 - handful king prawns on small daikon (mouli) and cucumber and spring onion salad - with a splash of brown rice vinegar and soy 200

Lunch 2 - small hard boiled egg, carrots and pine nuts with cauliflower (this is my tactic to break the 4pm binge - I have a tactical second lunch followed by a cup of tea) 100

Yoghurt 100

Dinner

Lasagne with leftover cabbage from last night and roasted corncob kernels 600
Followed by
Yoghurt 100
handful nuts 200

1700 calories (a vague approximation - the calories were rounded up and down to make adding easier)

On reflection I had one yoghurt over the limit, a few too many nuts, but the tactical snacking is to make sure that I have the potential for bingeing covered from all angles.

But I have broken the beginning of week pattern for the last few weeks - so that's good enough for me.

Also - what's with the bloody weight? I now weigh less than I did 2 weeks ago. I wrote a lot about that today but I didn't post the notes home.

Sarah :D
Great to hear how well it's all going, and thanks for posting about Paul McK. I think there's something in the air just now as everyone seems to be turning the magic corner (and congrats Sez for a full day in abstinence).
I'm now on 10 straight gold star days and goal is firmly in sight.
Whether it's management or abstinence, it seems like the right time of year to really knuckle down to business.
As I'm still in Development I needed a goal. The festive season approach is definitely doing me the world of good. I want to get my head down and just get on with it. I've got no major distractions coming up and I really feel like I can just lie low for a while and enjoy indulging in some me time.
Love the tactical 2nd lunch by the way - sounds like it's working a treat.
:)

Dear Sarah

Finally caught up again with this. WOW. WOW.WOW. You have definitely turned a corner; I can "hear" it in your words! You sound...different.

I'd really like to congratulate you on getting to this point; knowing what it has taken, it's all the more impressive, you've really stared those (sugar) demons in the face and are knocking them down, one by one.

I want to thank you for the Paul tip; as you know, I've been listening to him as well (different CD) BUT BUT BUT yesterday, after a very stressful afternoon, I decided (based on your comments) to switch CDs for the journey into London and opted for the 7 Days one. I played it twice over and definitely felt calmer! But I am slightly confused (easily done) because here you wrote:

the message from the CD is very helpful - 'you'll start to notice how alert being a little hungry makes you' - or words to that effect - the CD is helping me to enjoy running down the tanks a little because eating when you're hungry is really enjoyable and fulfilling!

Are you alternating between I can make you thin CD and Change your life CD?

Sorry to sound so anal! You are having more success with Paul than me right now and since I also have those tools, might as well change what I am doing!!!

Anyway, massive, massive round of applause. You are doing amazingly, amazingly well! And great to have positive feedback without an agenda.

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxx

I am now starting to be more than a little freaked out by how simple this is. It’s a good kind of freaked out, but still!

Why Paul McKenna’s I Can Make You Slim didn’t work for me last summer was that I was totally unable to see any redeeming feature in my reflection or self visualisation – I couldnt visualise myself slim because, well – when you’re over 17 stone and haven’t seen a BMI under 30 in over 8 years it gets quite hard to remember what slim feels like. I do ask myself the question – if I really had persisted with it, would I have got to my goal at the same point? Well – something in me back then tried undermining his process and just didn’t believe in it, so I didn’t practice – I would love to see what happens to someone who listens to the CD at least once a day for 90 days, because I have a feeling it really really does work. How frightening is that thought?

The weird thing is, that I never really felt that fat, I am always surprised by my photos, I often joke about the reverse body dysmorphia I seemed to have once I hit 13 stone – that when I look at my slightly bloaty (from my recent experiments with fibre) tummy and the bits of me that have refilled with fat, I see the body I actually thought I had when I was morbidly obese – so – for the past two days, I have been looking at myself in the mirror and starting to appreciate what’s happened – when I was at goal, my funny droopy bum and empty boobs and Austrian blind tummy were in direct contrast to my slim arms, fine bone structure so I wasn.t sure if it was a good idea to be looking at myself so much in ‘starved’ mode.

The point of all this is that when I was visualising myself slim – I pretty much was visualising myself as I am right now, but when I was 17-18st, I believed that I was already like that (but didn’t think I was slim!) so as a fat parson did I secretly believe that Iw as okay at the weight I was – was a secretly visualising failure? How hilarious – it’s like a Sir Humprhy speech from Yes, Minister – my mind goes round in circles just thinking about it!

The other thing that I have been teaching myself this week is about weight, when I was 9st 12 for that scary week in mid-august, my coccyx hurt when I slid into the bath and I actually for the first time in my life, understood what ‘skinny’ feels like – and it’s nothing to do with 9st 12, it’s to do with your bones and fat. And so when I stand in front of the mirror, allegedly weighing 11st 13, it’s not the 11st 13 I was on the way down, it really isn’t, that was 11st 13 with no food in my system – now I have to get used to having food in my system and being slim – and it’s a bizarre transition to make.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
Practice.

I’ve just been talking to a colleague about getting the chocolate/sugar craving under control 3.5 days and counting, in part it’s down to a few things

It takes practice, I’ve been realising that all the things I am good at took practice, they were usually things that only took a few goes to get the jist of, but by practicing and repeating the actions I got unconsciously skilled at them – I can do anything I want with practice – my problem has always been giving up too soon on the things that seem too hard – you have to go through a wall – unfortunately for me, that wall came down too often when I was trying to teach myself intuitive eating. It’s the same sort of wall you hit when you are learning a musical instrument – there’s a point where everyone’s yelling at you because you are making such a desperately horrible noise, there’s a point where you just can’t get your fingers to handle the bar chords or the picking sequence is beyond your ability or you can’t get your head around the sharps and flats – you can see how you will ever be good. Learning a musical instrument well has been beyond me for years, I am a passable chord player on the guitar, I can pick out a melody on a piano and most wind instruments, but I never went through the wall on any instrument, so beyond being able to strum along to a few songs and having basic musical literacy – I never allowed myself continued practice at something. I think the reason why children have instruments foisted on them (after hoping that they will find it fun!), is not that it’s a good way to keep them busy, but that learning to practice and repeat and get things wrong over and over again until they come good is a vital lesson probably better learned as a small child/young adolescent! Come to think of it, most of the ‘let’s give it a go – what’s the worst that can happen? Ah – it went wrong – never mind! Let’s try again!’ people that I know are either musicians or people who can speak another language fluently (that’s a really interesting idea – I must think about how I would test that as a psychologist!)

I don’t know if you’ve ever played a piece of music, but practicing always left you with a few choices when trying to get through a piece.

You make a mistake, you carry on and give yourself a go at getting to the end – time enough for tinkering with the detail when you’ve got through the piece.
You make a mistake, you recognise you’d like to get that bit straight and go back to the beginning (or the bar before) to make that bit better.
You make a mistake, you go back to the beginning because you’re so upset you made a mistake that you can’t get back into it – or worse still, you throw down your clarinet and declare to your mother that you want a pony instead, you’re bored of the clarinet.

Guess which one I did most often (without the asking for a pony!)

So – let’s go over what helps me to practice well…
Having abundant resources of on plan food (and knowing how and where to get more in an ‘emergency’!)
Do not beat self up for overeating what is on plan
Every time I find a healthy food yummy, I attach it to a good memory
Not all ‘good’ food types are created equal - different versions of the same food stuff can trigger off ancient emotions

As a child I usually had free access to as many ordinary apples as I wanted, but Washington Reds were a special treat – I remember being handed a huge one and polishing it on the front of my dress and my Nana saying ‘you’ll never fit into your dress tomorrow if you eat all that’ and not understanding what she meant, for years. But I still loved them – Washington reds meant that Mum had been to M&S which, in turn meant that things were alright financially – but they were such an occasional treat and they only came in 4s, that it meant that if you were quick you could have more than your fair share.

It seems horrible to go back and pinpoint these feelings, I need to point out that at no stage was I a malnourished child! There was always dinner on the table when I got home from school and treats and pudding when appropriate, but something about my occasionally chaotic childhood meant that I didn’t always get breakfast – one of the most distressing mornings of my life was when my parents let me sleep in because they didn’t want to take me into school until later and I missed reading a bidding prayer at mass, and believe me, it was a big deal for a non-Catholic child to be asked to do that at my school and I do know that my family didn’t go a bundle on breakfast. My happiest mornings were when Mum and I would lay the table for breakfast the night before and we’d have toast and cereal whilst listening to the radio. It was always very reassuring to me, to start and end the day with that sort of order, but having grown up as the child of two hotelier/publicans, it often got waylaid in place of taking a delivery from the drayman or supervising a stocktake – a person I went to school with and didn’t see for years has one residing memory of me, ‘You always had the best excuses for being late for school’ – I’ve only just realised that my compulsive over-punctuality is probably from those days! Anyway, I like a bit of routine and ceremony about my food, but I also like it laid-back as well. I can be trained to be a good grazer, I think!

All this dredging up of memories has been quite painful – not because the memories are painful, but I find nostalgia painful, I’ve been missing the past dreadfully, mainly because I am very uncertain of what my present is all about.

Bingo!

Okay – so yesterday was a binge day – but y’know something, I’ve turned the corner so that they are the anomalies in my post LL behaviour, not the norm – more on the binge later…but my friends, at 16:39 on this glorious 18th of October 2007, I worked out ‘hungry’. A bit. Enough for now, anyway. What is interesting about today is that at several points I could have just continued the binge, but I haven’t really been tempted to. So that’s good. So – how did I know that I was hungry?

Okay – I don’t know if any of you read the Beano as kids, but I really used to love the Numbskulls – all about the people who run your body via a control centre in your brain – so imagine this is me having a bit of a chat with the team that runs my body.

Well – I thought about chocolate (Mission Control was sending me the signal to visit the snack machine) and I sent them a message back that said ‘Okay then, geniuses, why?’ and they said ‘You would like something to eat, you’re hungry’

My somewhat arch response was ‘yeahbutreally?’ (I don’t trust those guys, they get in a tizzy about nothing!) and I checked myself and thought ‘Blimey, it’s not like a griping hunger pang, but you might be right’ and so I went back to mission control and checked with them that as long as it was okay with them, I’d like to proceed on current fuel levels until I got home, when I would do a proper refuel. And mission control agreed!

But seriously – I think this ‘when you’re hungry, food tastes better’ thing is something of a revelation.

Going back to what was going on during my binges – there was an element of wanting to eat EVERYTHING POSSIBLE – a lot of this, a lot of that, a lot of the other. Which is all v. well, but you can only eat two or three meals a day – some of it has to wait for another day. But I would get frenzied attacks, as if I was never going to eat again. This all ties in to the competitive eating I did as a child, if I wanted another mini roll, it had to be eaten directly after the first mini-roll otherwise someone else would have it. Call it what you want, first child survival tactics, competitive eating, it’s a fundamental thing about my eating that I have known for years but not experienced in comparison to abstinence.

Here’s the thing, abstinence gives you a benchmark – a place where you can compare your body getting exactly the right amount of fuel to survive with a place where your body has no idea what fuel it needs so it takes on board as much as it can.

You need to start training your body, very slowly that there is a happy medium, where you are consuming just the right amount of exactly what you need – maybe a bit more some days, maybe a bit less on others. Abstinence reminds you that you are very very good at saying ‘no’. Management is about saying ‘yes’ again and then working out when and why to say ‘no’ and ‘maybe’.

The other thing is about teaching yourself not to be that bothered – food just ain’t that important in our world. Food is in abundance - so DON'T PANIC! You'll get some eventually!

I got home after cycling through the sunset - it was beautiful and red - I cycle up a backstreet that looks down on the open space created by the traintracks coming out of Euston, King's Cross and St. Pancras and looking out to the west in the chill air made me so happy. After my cycle I didn't feel too hungry, but I had a banana and an apple and now I am definitely not that hungry. Could I be naturally compensating for overeating yesterday? Let's hope so!

Food diary

9am 50g All Bran
Pear

12.45 400g of mixed deli salads - butterbeans and salmon and brown rice and assorted leaves
200g grapes

6.30pm apple and banana

Yesterday

9.30am All Bran 200

10.30amPolish Gingerbread *2 200
11am Bar Dairy Milk 275

12.15 Seabass, potatoes, tomatoes and spinach at Carluccios 800

1pm over a thousand calories of M&S refrigerator bars 1000
2 pm kit kat 275

Stop

9.30 Packet biscuits 800
tub Haagen Dazs 1200
Caramel Bites Bar. 250

5000 calories!

The interesting thing about this binge is that it is much mroe restrained(!) than my other binges in that I could stop it. I also made a point of not following the ritual - I made myself wait until I was sitting down before I started on any of the evening binge stuff (usually I eat some of it before I've got through the door)

The work goodie table is causing me huge problems though - I need to learn o pretend it's not there!

Yes Mrs. L - apologies - I'm not sure which place I've recorded it, but I have started using I Can Make You Thin (mainly because Change Your Life was giving me such a buzz I decided to see if ICMYT would be as effective!)

Hi, sorry to butt in and hijack your journey, but just had to say you are right on the money again, with what you said yesterday about the reverse body dismorphia post. Wouldn't have been my choice of words, but you certainly struck several chords, I never seemed to think of myself as fat, I always seemed to think of myself as OK, weird until you were brought up short by seeing a photo or catching your refelection in a window or glass door. I must have had a very strange body image of myself.
Now that I've lost some weight and am getting back to close to the weight I was 10 odd years ago, I am not the same shape as I was last time I was this weight. My stomach has NEVER been so flat even at my slimmest, this is because it is empty, as you say the big change is that last time I was this weight I was eating "normally" and my body contained food, hence the different body shape. I'm pleased you said that when I hit target, and gradually start to eat again, my body will change back to my old shape for this type of weight, I hope so, I look kind of droopy at the moment.
Love your thread thanks Sarah

Is this it?
This is it!

Well, I approach Week 12 with something bordering on elation – I did a little review of how the weight went on due to the binges and unconscious eating and it all seems to be a pattern. I put the size 8 jeans on again today...weird.

I seem to have been entirely reeducated in terms of my attitude to food. After week 7 – in fact once pulses were introduced, my binges have been completely in check – I get them, but once a week and they are more restrained. From the sugar cravings of Weeks 1-4, to the rediscovery of cooked vegetables (although I have loved all fruit and veg since I was little, last year I couldn’t face anything other than fatty, stodgy, carby processed food – the healthiest thing I would eat was pak choi or the odd lunch from Leon) and a new found passion for lentils and beans (I could never be bothered with all the faffing, now I crave cannelini beans in tomatoey home made sauces. I have the patience to make fresh soup when I get home! Now that that style of eating has become the norm. I wouldn’t choose a white ham salad baguette and soup as my lunch now and some stodgy readymade meal or takeout in the evenings (it was always my default in the old days). The best thing about RtM is that as long as you keep going, you reach a world where food is there again and it does eventually stop being quite such a battle of will as it can be in the first month after abstinence.

I started RtM planning a wonderful golden path where I did everything perfectly. Well that would have been great, but I wouldn’t have learned anything about why I fail, why I binge, what the symptoms are, and how quickly I can get to obese again if I really set my mind to it (about a month of all out bingeing would do it, I reckon).

Y’know what? The lesson I had to learn about food was that it’s okay not to be perfect. We all hear about the 80/20 rule, but for those of us who have lived the 20/80 way or even the 100/100 way (ie a day’s balanced diet, plus a day’s worth of calories of junk!) it makes a lot of sense, but doesn’t work practically.

It’s also taught me a lot about what ‘weight’ actually is. Being slim is nothing to do with numbers, it’s about how you feel. And unless you’re feeling it, in your step and in your bones, it doesn’t matter what the dress label or the digital display says.

There’s an HG Wells story called the truth about Pyecroft in which Pyecroft wishes to lose weight. His wish is granted, but he remains enormous, but light as a feather – so much so that he floats and has to weigh his pockets down with coins in order to carry on with his daily business! The person who cast the spell or gave him the potion, I forget which’ says ‘You English never call it what it is, it was mass you wanted to lose’ or words to that effect. We refer to it as the weight we carry, but isn’t it also about the mass we appear as – the space we take up.

So now I have about the right mass I need for my bones…it’s a heavier weight than I would have chosen, but within 7lbs of my bottom line, and I think that as I stop stressing about food and my body realises that I will NEVER starve it again, my body will let go of the emergency fat it made me put on (I’m not denying all responsibility, but I do think it’s a serious biological urge!) On the other hand, my mass feels about right for now, for someone who is now full of glycogen and – sorry to be so explicit, poo and half digested food again.

I do have a couple of food things to sort out, like – will I really be able to keep hard cheese in the house – I’ve only eaten cheese away from home in RtM! Will I ever be able to have just a bar of chocolate? My guess is yes, but I my battle is partly that my body doesn’t need it and my body knows it doesn’t need it and my brain gets annoyed with my body not needing it because it knows that for all it’s rubbishness as an object of nutrition, it does calm my nerves. I was using chocolate to self-medicate all through RtM. If things seemed too much, chocolate, if I needed to walk away from work, chocolate. Problem was, I was using chocolate the way I used to use cigarettes.

Stephen Fry wrote a wonderful blessay (his word, not mine) on addiction this week in his blog, and he quoted Wilde’s description of why smoking is the perfect addiction. So clever, isn’t it? For me, chocolate creates the need for more chocolate. Whilst I can’t get a hit as pure as those first few bites on my first Dairy Milk when I was almost giddy with glee, I must remain aware that my brain will remember that glee for a very long time.

And life? Well, one starts to realise the impact an addictive personality has on so many aspects of one’s life. I think I became addicted to being incompetent (not that I actually was, but I did set myself up for failure in so many ways) The simple truth is – I did it. I really and truly did it. And I find, underneath the fat girl there really is a thin girl and they are both exactly the same girl, but the thin girl doesn’t know about the fat girl – but the fat girl – she knows about the thin girl alright.

I’m officially 10 days from the end of RtM, but I know I’m there now – I’ve come out the other side and I can take or leave food, can make balanced choices, am not dependent on bread (although RtM doesn’t get you to sit in the house with a fresh baked loaf and a tub of Philadelphia so I’ve still got a few lessons to learn!). In essence my life is the same as it was when I weighed 6 stone heavier this time last year, but it is completely changed – because by letting go of the addictions and sitting with them for a while, I realise that nothing gets you by in this life better than just getting to know yourself. Properly. Take the food away and your habits and ‘needs’ become very transparent.

A person in my group said that what she got out of LL having done and dusted the whole process was self respect.

What I think my LL journey has been about is that same self respect, but I think all my struggles and moaning and petty rebellions have been about getting things into perspective. There’s no magic wand, no fairy godmother to make it alright, you have to get on with life and keep on getting on with it and just as some days are brilliant and some days are rubbish, most of them are okay – and some days you will be bloated and heavy, somedays you will feel light and most days you won’t need to think about it.

Don’t think of the weight you once carried as a curse or a punishment that you’ll get beaten with if you misbehave, or that being slim is the reward for all your hard work – neither is true, both are possible and you can choose which one!

Cerulean

What can I say.

I think your journey has been one of the hardest won battles I have come across so far.
You are a warrior.
congratulations on your amazing achievement and thank you so much for taking the time to share it all with us. Your words have helped me so many times that thank you never seems like enough.
Love Laura

Shhh. Don;t tell everyone, but last night I went out in a size 10 dress.

And came home with a boy.

Shhhhhh.

I am very amused.

;)

Back