Just Do It's Route to Management

Keep going Sun - it does get better - honest! I was disappointed too.

JDI - you must be almost at the end of week 1 now - well done. I've got out my RtM food diary and saw that I felt bloated the first few days, then it wore off. I switched to having my meal at lunch time which worked very well.

On the calorie front: I wrote down all the food I ate from week 3-7 and did a rough calorie tally. Quite interesting looking back! I ate about 1200 cals a day in those weeks (sometimes more; rarely less!). I lost 2 lbs week 3 then stayed exactly the same for 3 weeks, then lost another pound. I then put on a couple during the rest of RtM (trigger weeks plus porridge - think I was replenishing glycogen). I gave up writing it down at week 8 which was not ideal. I definitely eat more now - I guess about 1800 cals a day keeps me stable (that gives me a bit of leeway for the odd bit of junk/cake). However extra bits of cake pushed me up - what a surprise.

As for the weight - when in abstinence I could hop on the scales every morning and see a loss - maybe only 1/2 lb - but never a gain. The intake is so regular you don't vary much. However when you eat, your body takes a different amount of time to digest different foods so the weight is more variable. Probably best to look at it over a 3-4 week period. And the first time the scales show a gain it is weird - I didn't think I'd care but I felt quite twitchy after all those weeks of losses.

Enjoy your yoghurt next week!

Hi Sun

As GG says, you are not alone. My thoughts were..."is that it?"

It definitely DOES get better, you can enjoy food but please, please, please, do NOT do what I did and eat on top of any indigestion!

Let the food pass through your stomach and then try something else. It IS incredible,however, how little we need after abstinence (cheating or not!).

The other thing to remember is that portion size really does matter so follow the book.

You're doing well; remember JDI's strategy of clocking up each and every day. Well, how about each and every meal if you feel disheartened?

Keep going.

Take care.

Mrs Lxxxxx

thanks goom and mrs L,

both very good advice, I just cant imagine being on 1800 calories a day, thats a bit freaky, I suppose I will learn about my body balance week by week.

How you doing JDL XXXXXXXXxxx

Hi there, just sneaked on for a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the advice and GG that is very interesting about your calorie intake. I suppose it isn't healthy to think about it but it is important for me to get a grip of numbers.

This is day 7 for me and there was an extra half pound on the scales this morning. And yes, I did feel a bit jittery, had to keep looking to see my hip bones to remind myself that half a pound does NOT make me fat.

I had half a tin of tuna, a whole egg white and quite a lot of lettuce at lunch time and I can feel it getting digested as I type. I feel really quite full. In fact I feel bloated which is the first time that I have felt like this. I think this feeling contributes to feeling fat and would in the past, have made me feel quite down. I can't be fat when my normally sarcastic OH has just told me that I have no body weight! ( I have to make the most of what compliments I can from him!!)

So my first WI on management tonight, I can't wait for the yogurt tomorrow, can you have fat free fruit yogurts or just natural?

Have a great day everyone.

Claire

You can have any yoghurt you like! You are free to choose! It's a tightrope doing RtM without making yourself feel restricted. However the wise advice of the management book guidelines is to choose fat free. Yeo Valley do a yummy fat free natural one. I mix it with tomato salsa (weird I know) and dip sliced peppers etc in it. I love this with salad. Or just the yoghurt on its own. They also have a vanilla version (absolutely delicious with strawberries but a bit more sugar - moreish in the extreme and I do limit how often I buy this!) and I have seen a strawberry one (don't think fruit ones are recommended for wk 2 in the book - can't remember when they come in). It's worth having sugar free jelly available in the fridge for a snack - I couldn't believe how filling it was (but I did have the whole pint!). Good luck with the WI.

the oly yoghurts I like are the Mullerlite ones, The low GI book does mention this brand as being OK.

can anyone confirm that they have had these please.

I think it's important not to get too bound up with "being allowed" foods. However this is a golden opportunity to learn to choose the healthy option. The guidelines are sensible and IMO you would do well to choose the fat free/natural yoghurt route as recommended by the programme. Muller lights have a fair amount of sugar - at this stage I would be a bit careful. If you find them moreish you might end up getting a bit too much sugar in your system which is not a good idea. Even if you weren't keen on natural yoghurt before you may find you like it. It's the "clean slate" concept. Make the most of it - it won't happen again. Your tastes really can change.

you're right goom hun, thanks as always, you're great xxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, I have now successfully managed my weight for a whole week.

And I have learned quite a lot too.

The good news is that I have remained in my total abstinence frame of mind.

I have NOT felt like straying from the allowed choices.

I have not felt like I was missing out on carbs, which had been a huge concern of mine. I had been told by someone wha had done management that they had salads etc as meals and I seriously doubted that I would be able to enjoy a salad of just protein and raw veg.
But I do. They have been 100% satisfying, I have loved the flavours and the textures.

I had been worried that I would feel like eating my previous trigger foods, but I have not even given them a second thought. I have continued my mentality of considering my choices to be those offered by LL. During abstinence my choices were from the packs. Now my choices are from the packs and the food lists I have been given.

My LLC asked last night if I had experienced any problems just sticking to the lists and I could honestly answer No.

I had been worried that I would be triggered into a binge or binge related thoughts. I have NOT. I feel totally in control still. I haven't even considered a binge and I am hugely relieved.

I have realised that my feelings earlier in the week were not in relation to food and my food related desires, but were related to a deep rooted self-doubt and self-blame mentality.

Now I can see that for what it is I am going to deal with them as seperate issues.

My LLC was a bit horrified that my weight had gone down by another 2.2lbs but it has remained the same at home for about 5 days now so I feel it has stabalised a bit.

Her management classes start for real next week so I was still at a development meeting and it was very helpful.

She went over Boundaries and how we adhere to some, eg marital vows etc, choose to ignore or use others differently eg speed limits and renegotiate others, eg forget to pay the electricity bill and ring to arrange some other form/time of payment.

We make these last decisions from our adult ego state, and we should treat our weight/food journey in the same way. In future if we lapse or make the wrong decision, just renegotiate the boundaries with ourselves or her. It made a lot of sense to me.

Claire

Well done for making it through the first week. Don't know why your LLC was horrified about your weight loss! I can't see how you can avoid losing weight the first few weeks if you stick to the programme given the amount of food you can eat. Maybe she's not used to people sticking to it! One meal of protein and salad a day is hardly going to fulfil all your energy requirements. Like you, I remember being pleased I didn't want carbs - hold on to the memory; it can come in useful later on! I loved the feeling of not craving sugar; I'd like to feel like that all the time. Unfortunately once the sugar is in your blood, the feeling changes.

The boundaries thing is useful - I've got lots of work to do on that one!

Hi,
GG my LLC was horrified about my weight loss because ( and I can't believe I am saying this) I actually look really quite thin. My previous LLC was quite happy for me to go really low before management but when I changed to my new EXCELLENT LLC she saw things a bit differently. She is just worried I will get to a BMI of 20. But my weight has been the same at home for the last 6 days so I think it has stopped coming off.

I had an awful experience with the sugar free jelly last night! In fact it was definitely time for a serious thought record to try to get to the bottom of it. I had been out all day, getting the car fixed, first of all I had to walk 5 miles from the garage to the nearest town. (In the past I have always caught the bus)

I had already had my bar for breakfast so I decided to buy a red pepper, lettuce, slice of turkey breast and a fat free yougurt for lunch. It was the first time I had been in an away from home situation without my food packs, but it went very well. I managed to sneak into the council offices to wash my pepper, and the cutlery I bought and sat outside and made myself a small salad. The pepper was divine, sweet, juicy, satisfying.

I didn't have too much so I would have room for the yogurt and by the time I had finished I felt moderately full.

By the time I got home late afternoon, I was feeling peckish, I wasn't sure if it was as a result of the word 'Snacks' on the foodlist for the week. I had intended not to have snacks, but seeing it there made me think I could have snacks (of raw veg and fat free jelly) if I wanted to. I made up a fat free jelly and put it in the fridge, but ate a LL banana mousse.

A couple of hours later when I was dishing out the families tea, I thought I was feeling hungry, I rationalised it would be ok to eat the rest of the red pepper and a tiny bit of lettuce as a snack and then have the hot chocolate afterwards. But after doing all that I wasn't satisfied. I tried to work out if it was emotional or physical hunger but wasn't sure.

The kids were fighting and getting wound up and before I knew it at about 8pm I was dishing out quarter of the jelly into a bowl. The fruitiness tasted fantastic, but the sweetener was equally awful. The fighting kids were getting worse and I was trying to get my thoughts rational, but let it get on top of me and went and put another quarter of the jelly into the bowl and ate it.

I immediately thought, well thats it, I won't be able to succeed I'll be fat again in a few months. But another thought quickly followed, Hey, that jelly was allowed, it was on the list, you can have snacks.

I quickly grabbed my book to try and write a thought record I felt really bloated and sick and doubtful. I had to go in the bath to calm myself down.

I thought hard about what I had just done and realised some facts,
1. I am out of ketosis so will feel more hungry
2. I need more food during the day - I had calculated my total intake, including the jelly , to be 645 calories, which on top of my 5 mile walk, probably isn't enough
3. The jelly was allowed anyway
4. I have been able to step away from the situation and rationalise about it, consciously deciding to learn from it and move on
5. In future I should have a small portion, then give myself a few minutes to let it go down

Afterwards I felt exhausted and poisoned, I wondered if it was the additives in the jelly that made me feel like that. I had to drag myself to bed but I fell asleep as if I had been drugged.

I'm throwing the rest of the jelly away today.

Sorry to hear the jelly is causing problems! Good for you for getting rid of it. I agree, the sweetener is not the best, but I do have a (childhood?) fondness for jelly. I find the jelly a real help - shows how different we all are. Think my LLC thinks I'm a bit strange as I have confessed to eating a bucket of jelly (a small one). I make a pint up in a plastic container my son had candy floss in (contraband bought when he was in France!) and eat it in the evening when feeling "snacky". It stops me wanting anything else and at 32 calories I figure that's well worth it! Just knowing it's in the fridge stops me thinking about food.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight - mine just dipped below 20 BMI but didn't stay there long! Once the glycogen builds back up you don't look so shrivelled. I'm on my way down again but don't look gaunt as I did at the same (or higher) weight at the end of foundation. I still had a good wodge of fat on my tum and waist even then as I'm small frame.

Fighting kids are a trigger for me too! A slice of cake always used to blot out the stress for a few minutes...Having to find different strategies now.

Good for you for doing a thought record - I still avoid them if I can because I still don't like facing the truth even though I know it works. When will I learn? Thanks for the inspiration.

Well done, JDI for getting that thought record done.

You are doing really well. It's a great thread, it really is.

Thanks, everyone, for contributing; I may be messing around, right now, but all this good stuff is going into my brain....

Take care.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone, I'm feeling great today. I feel as if yesterday I fought a huge battle and won.

I have learned a lot .

Firstly I have never read other peoples management journey blogs or threads, I have not wanted to think about the part of the programme I knew I would find hard and so I have shied away from them. Yesterday I felt I was ready to learn from them and I have started to read AmandaJaynes great thread and Mrs L's how not to do it - which has just given me a great laugh thanks!

And it made me realise that I had done a lot of preperation for management but in a different way. I had refused to have the management book until I was ready to start, I got it the night before. It was part of distancing myself from the hard bit, bit also because I wanted it to be fresh and exciting, like the beginning of LL where the thrill of something new would get me through the first days and weeks.

I had planned a McDonalds coffee after the meeting so I could read and absorb the books and write my list. I managed to arrange to stay at my sisters for the night (it avoided an hours journey over the moors to my house) and meant that I would be near the bright lights of well stocked shops the next day to buy my supplies.

I treated this purchase time as a treat for me, I went to M&S, really looked at all of the produce, read the labels, bought things that looked great and felt excited with what I had. I must say that I have had no problems with sticking to the food lists.

Yesterday, Week 2 Day 2 was a day of revelation.

I had been feeling so ratty and tired the day before, the jelly had poisoned me and I was disappointed with myself for having it as a snack - even though it is allowed.

I decided at lunch time to have a bit more on my plate as I had probably not had enough to eat. I prepared a lettuce, red pepper and watercress salad, with some expensive balsamic vinegar ( a birthday present from my sister) with a whole egg white and 40g of peppered smoked mackerel. And I piled the lettuce on my plate.

I really tried to asses my stomach state as I ate, and I realised that over the last few days I had been mistaking the feeling of food going into my stomach for the feeling of being full. I had the whole plateful, felt satisfied, not bloated, in a much better frame of mind and content. I had previously calculated the calorie content of the meal to be 111 cals, which is why I thought I would be OK having it all.

I had realised there is no point in me being virtuous having a tiny lettuce leaf and a flake of fish then feeling terrible for the rest of the day and fighting with hunger.

I need to consume approximately 300,000 calories over what I need to gain the weight I have lost, so 10 or 20 calories on a plate of lettuce is NOT going to do any damage.

And I felt great all afternoon. I had planned to have a snack at about 3:30. One of the things I realised from the abstinence programme was that I manage well with 4 eating times a day. It is something I want to keep up because I can cope with psychological hunger a lot better if I know it is a maximum of 3 hours before the next meal.

I had some chopped pepper, raw cauliflower and a fat free yogurt, and yes, the rest of the jelly which I had managed not to throw away. But now it is all gone I feel better and I won't be making any more.

In between meals I keep myself topped up on water and black coffee. I have been having too much coffee, especially as I only have it filtered and strong, so I came to a decision which I hope I made out of my adult mind.

I really don't like black tea, or tea with skimmed milk, no matter how many years I have been trying to. And if there is one thing I have learned about myself, it is that there is no point me eating or drinking something which does not satisfy me because ultimately it will lead to me having or wanting desperately to have something that does satisfy. If I make the decision before hand to have only things that I like I won't be wasting eating a meal that disappoints and then topping up on easy sneaky stuff in the kitchen like I used to.

A classic example of me in the past would be having a poached fillet of fish, salad and boiled potatoes. Yes I would feel virtuous but I can guarantee that within an hour I would have secretly stuffed several slices of bread, butter and cheese in to compensate, which in turn would lead to guilt and we know the rest of the cycle.

So I am going to have tea with semi-skimmed milk. About 4 cups a day and not beat myself up about it, just be happy that it is getting me through the day. (Am I having crooked thinking there? I could wrap my brain in knots working that one out so I am not going to)

For tea I had a mousse and then another bar - I couldn't find anything in the blue book that said only one bar a day so it felt OK and I felt satisfied afterwards.

I went to bed feeling a little bit worried that I felt comfortable inside, not bloated and not aching with hunger, but I had just had a cup of tea.

I can do it if I feel like this every day.

I have made it through the week end and have completed 11 days of managing my weight.

Some serious revelations over the weekend. Very basic, but I had never reached them before.

I realised the relationship between TASTE and HUNGER.

I had never recognised them as separate entities before.

I was eating a yogurt, and thouroughly enjoying it. I could have eaten it all day, one after another - it tasted so delicious. As I scraped the bottom of the pot my mind was telling me there was another in the fridge. However, I simultaneously realised that my stomach was full.

I realised that while my tongue wanted to have more and more of the taste, my stomach didn't actually want more of the food. (I know that is so basic, but it had never struck me like that before)

I realised that to maintain my weight I have to be prepared to stop the TASTE. After 5 minutes sitting there absorbing this revelation I realised that my stomach was full and that my tongue had sort of stopped needing to have another taste of the yogurt. This was partly because I was drinking water and it had diluted the taste.

I felt pleasantly full and wanted to stay at that level.
A hot drink of tea or coffee after I have eaten helps me to retain this feeling and reducesa my desire to have more of the food I was just eating.

JDI what a brilliant thread! I am a couple of months or so away from management but I feel I have learned something from your threads already
Many thanks
xxxxx

JDI, fantastic thread, keeps me on the straight and narrow.

well done xxxxxxxxx

Back