Scan bran challenge

Do you know, I started this yesterday..tried one as they are and was like.. oh god what have I let myself in for.. made the rest into cherry bakewell cake.
Today however ive just had one with some philly spread on.. and I quite liked it

I just had mine dipped in some lentil & parsnip souo but cant wait to try them with choc philly but weigh in tonight so dont want to go mental ;-)

OMG lve jst tasted the bran scan brans & l love them :)

Haha, I love and share your enthusiasm with it! I started half heartedly doing the scan bran challenge last week, but this week I'm totally obsessed! I was sad when I realised I'd already had five so couldn't have another one with my after dinner yoghurt!

This evening I got creative and put two in with my stir fry, it was lovely!!!

x

Any tips on how to make scan bran taste better? I've tried making the basis cake and having it with free/super free toppings but would love some inspiration

I usually have them with cream cheese/quark/cottage cheese and sliced tomato. A friend always had chopped banana on them. I can rarely manage a whole HEB of them in one sitting though!

Thanks Scarlett, same for me way too dry even with toppings to have all 5 in one go, I've got a cherry bakewell scan bran cake in the oven right now and the smell is amazing, so nice i think i'll be able to manage all of that :)

Let us know what it's like. I've never had much luck with scan bran cakes, but I've only tried one recipe so I can't blame the scan bran for that!

Well I have just had it....it was very nice but I think I'll tweak the recipe when I make it next as it was a bit too moist for me and took ages to cook and set so it's just a case of making it to my personal taste. I got the recipe from this site and for the whole cake is 1/2 syn if using the scan bran as HexB or just 5.5 if not. As I'm using mine as my HexB I'll be eating it all today which feels greedy but I want a good loss this week so trying to find ways to manage scan bran as often as possible :)

Let me know if you want the recipe x

Sounds good. I think I'll get the tweaked recipe from you once you've tried it again as I'm not a fan of overly moist cakes either. Thanks!

Well here is the updated recipe and it this is how I like it:

Cherry Bakewell Scan Bran Cake

Ingredients

5 scan bran
Fat free cherry yogurt **If using Muller Light use only 1/2 to max 2/3 of this or becomes too wet and takes ages to cook**
5 tbsp sweetener (or to taste)
3 capfuls almond essence (or to taste)
1 Egg

Method

Soak Scan Bran in boiling water to soften.

Drain water and mash the scan bran.

Add the Almond Essence yogurt, sweetener and egg and mix it all together really well.

Bake for about 20min at 200oC/Gas Mark 6. Just check whilst cooking to make sure this isn't too high for your oven and depending on what you cook this in it may take a bit longer, I usually use a loaf tin and it take about 45 min.

5 syns the lot or Free if using the scan bran as a healthy extra.

I have had a lot of scan bran cakes and generally don’t like them but for me this is the most tasty one I have ever had!

I liked it but obviously it can't compare to 'real' cake :) I'd say give it a go and if you don't like it you haven't lost anything. The only downside to this one for me is it does seem to take a really long time to cook but of all the scan bran cakes i have tried this is the one I like the most x

I'll give it a go fingers crossed l like it......i actually really like scan bran on its own but would love to find a cake. Thanks x

Tried scan bran for the first time today (I have lots of issues with my troublesome bowels, and hope the scan bran will help to get things moving! Lol) anyway, I had strawberry muller light, chopped strawberries, 1 tsp splenda and two scanbran soked with boiling water first then drained well and stirred in. It was lovely and satisfying too. A good way to east scan bran if you are not keen on them in their dry form............

hello all,

i decided to introduce scan bran to my diet as i have had a bit of a plateau recently. I ditched SW for cal counting and gained 2lb so this week i have been back on SW big time - but on red days instead of EE. and so far it is working a treat! My last official WI was last friday and since then i have lost about 5lbs!! Official WI tomorrow morning so we will see if it sticks.

I have tried scan bran as a hex - dunked in superfree tomato soup and with philly on (i used both hexa for this as they really are quite dry). I dont mind them like that but not something i fancy trying eveyday. I have also made ferrero out of them (but using normal chocolate spread instead of nutella as i have an allergy to nuts) and i really like it like this. Its just chocolatey enough but has an 'oaty/nutty' type of texture which I love (but dont get enough of due to my nut allergy - and now i have cut out the biscuits lol)

i think i will continue to use them in the ferrero style and just as syns - works out one syn per piece and today i had 5 pieces after my lunch. going to try the curly wurly cake over the weekend and see how it tastes - sounds deeeelish!

making the curly wurly cake tonight and thinking of topping it with choc philly - had anyone done this and is it worth the syns? It will make it around 5 syns per slice if i cut it into 7 pieces.

(also how big does my tub need to be - a standard take away pot will do i assume??)

Back