Scared of the plane - HELP

lighterlifeclaire

Silver Member
I have a holiday booked for November 7th to Egypt... Was planning to lose weight to look *slightly* more trim on the beach and 5 weeks in and my total loss is ONE POUND, due to me messing around and not sticking to it :cry:

Now, I am thinking I have 8 weeks until i'm getting on that plane and I am getting nervous... the last time I was on a plane I needed a "seatbelt extension" - basically for fat people. Because my waist was too big. As you can imagine this was humiliating...

I have since lost 8 stone but regained all but 9lbs of it... so i would predict that I am going to have the same problem (despite being a size 26/28 last time I got on a plane, and being a 24 now)

I am worrying....... has anyone had this problem...... How much weight/inches can I possibly lose in 8 weeks to make me fit in this plane seat :confused:

:jelous:

Claire would you consider going back on a VCLD? If I am honest, I do not think 8 weeks on WW or SW or similar is going to be enough to make enough of a dent in your weight to make a real difference in a plane seat.

I was a size 24 last time I went on a plane and I DID get the belt done up, but only just and it was excruciatingly painful.

Hi Claire, I agree with Guru. I don't know anything about WW, but a normal type diet should average a 2 or 3lb a week loss.

I'm having the same trauma shortly. I don't even mind asking for an extension, it's the being shoe horned into a space clearly not designed to cope that freaks me out, as well as overhanging into the next person. My last flight was mortifying, the guy next to me complained to his girlfriend throughout the 4 hour flight in French, not realising that I speak it! I just sat there dumbstruck with tears sliding down my face. Mind you, I did get cross enough by the time we were leaving to be really rude back to him (in French) Hah!

Hi Claire,

I am so with you on the excruciating embarassment of aeroplane travel.. all the way from getting the seatbelt done up, past the thighs lifting up the armrests and finally landing at the pulldown tray that doesn't drop down flat so your food and drink slides off..
It fills me with a dread so great that it has been the spur to get back on the wagon (so I guess that is the silver lining :confused:)
I have actually contemplated shopping around for the airline with the longest seatbelts!!!

I have done Cambridge and I must agree with the other girls that there is nothing like a VLCD for really fast weightloss, but if you can't face it again (and I am right up there with you again!) how about Atkins/South Beach/Go Lower which puts you in ketosis, but allows you to eat food with only a couple of (pretty major!) restrictions.
Basically on South Beach and GoLower it boils down to no bread/cakes/sugary things/potatoes, but you can have all proteins, and fruit and veg are essential.
You don't lose as much as a VLCD but you could put a serious dent in the problem in 2 months - 2 stone off is probably at least 1 or 2 dress sizes.

I'm a size 22 and I can just get the seatbelt done up, if I dress right (dress not jeans.. no thick jumpers), sort of sink myself down in the seat, and pull really hard.
I think I could win an oscar for my
I'm-just-doing-up-my-seatbelt-without-a-care-in-the-world face!

Juno ..

Hi Claire, I agree with Guru. I don't know anything about WW, but a normal type diet should average a 2 or 3lb a week loss.

I'm having the same trauma shortly. I don't even mind asking for an extension, it's the being shoe horned into a space clearly not designed to cope that freaks me out, as well as overhanging into the next person. My last flight was mortifying, the guy next to me complained to his girlfriend throughout the 4 hour flight in French, not realising that I speak it! I just sat there dumbstruck with tears sliding down my face. Mind you, I did get cross enough by the time we were leaving to be really rude back to him (in French) Hah!
Love this story!!

You go girl!!

Problem well solved maxi! It was your full right to be rude back!! Some people just don't think!!!

@Claire, i think, for the fast weightloss, indeed as the others said, it would be best to go back on a VLCD. If you don't want to do it again, you might just do it till the flight, and then after that, you can switch to a "normal" diet.

Problem well solved maxi! It was your full right to be rude back!! Some people just don't think!!!

I did almost enjoy it cos I was *so* cross by the time we were getting off the plane.

Well done Klev, brilliant weightloss!!!
:talk017: How you feeling? I feel brilliant & am still as high as a kite after my weigh-in. :D

YEAY! I can do that face too, lets have a competition....(I'm gonna beat you though!!) :p

..even with the sweat running down your hairline.. :8855:

Damn, we're good!

Juno .. x

Let me tell you something. Last April I went to a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. I was on my own - betty no mates and all that. I was one of the first in the audience, in the stalls area - called the arena. The duty manager came over to me and could tell I was squeezed in in the chair, and asked me if I was comfortable - I was so embarrassed. I said I was ok, but I reckon when people are sitting either side of me I won't be comfortable. I was totally wedged in the chair and my thighs spread out on either chair beside me. He said would I like to sit on a chair with no arms in the circle, and he moved me there. I vowed then - last April - to not have to have that happen again. It was good he considered me, and I was more comfortable in the new seat in the circle, and I noticed lots of other overweight people there - perhaps it is where the overweight people can sit in comfort. Anyway, I hoped to start a vlcd to lose several stone by the next time I am due to go there in November, and although I have lost a bit, a may lose a bit more, it is still not enough to sit in comfort in the chair I booked for the stalls and will most likely have to sit in discomfort again or be moved! My weight loss has been above my waist where the problem is my thighs.

What I am getting is, sometimes the more pressure we put ourselves under, the worse we can stick to our weight loss plans, and things are sometimes not as easy as we plan with diets. Even holidays as an incentive don't always keep us on the straight and narrow on a diet plan.

I would say don't worry about asking for a seat extension as there is no embarrasment about that and just asking quietly the cabin crew and they will discretely bring you one. No one cares, they are too busy settling themselves down in their seats and getting their bags in the compartments.

What may possibly be a problem is getting the tray down in front of you for your meal and drink, and if you have a large chest or stomach that may be difficult, so perhaps you can share the drop down table of someone next to you, or some other plan - even a takeaway sandwich and drink.

Don't put yourself under pressure to lose more than you can. Take the diet easy and sensibly and have a wonderful time!!!

:hug99::hug99:

Know how you feel claire - about four years ago on a long-haul flight to the states I was late to check-in so when i got to the plane it was already nearly full.

The woman at the door took my ticket
looked me up and down and shouted down the plane to another woman "janice were going to need the extender belt, and maybe an extra seat" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

yeah made me feel great that :cry:

since then on any plane ive jus shoved the ends of the belt up my top so it looks fastened and give the women my best "yeah it fastend, so there" smile :p Id rather take the chance of crashing without it then living with the sarcastic cows who work on planes..

Berri xx

:hug99::hug99:

Know how you feel claire - about four years ago on a long-haul flight to the states I was late to check-in so when i got to the plane it was already nearly full.

The woman at the door took my ticket looked me up and down and shouted down the plane to another woman "janice were going to need the extender belt, and maybe an extra seat" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

yeah made me feel great that :cry:

since then on any plane ive jus shoved the ends of the belt up my top so it looks fastened and give the women my best "yeah it fastend, so there" smile :p Id rather take the chance of crashing without it then living with the sarcastic cows who work on planes..

Berri xx

That was out of order. You should have got her name and made an official complaint. You may also have been given a free flight or something as an apology as that was certainly a disciplinary offence.

oh dont worry about it i did - I got refunds on the 2 tickets and lots of air miles which were used a few months later for a holiday yay:D

I did almost enjoy it cos I was *so* cross by the time we were getting off the plane.

Well done Klev, brilliant weightloss!!!
:talk017: How you feeling? I feel brilliant & am still as high as a kite after my weigh-in. :D

Little off-topic, but great :D thanks :D

I suppose I should just embarrass the air hostesses and say "well if u didnt make the seats for matchsticks ill be alrite?!" lol... or maybe thats not a good move :rolleyes: Luckily im going with my mum who I will sit next to the annoying passenger... so I will either be on the aisle or next to the window...

:confused: I hope we dont get food, I might die if the food tray is tucked into my flab aswell looool

Thanks to every1 who replied i must say its made me feel a bit more confident in a funny way lol... I think im just going to have to grin and bare it and just say "seat extender please" ~(that is, if they dont go ... ..."another seat for the fat woman" lol)

I dont want to do another VLCD as in my opinion, it is harder to keep off that way. I lost 8 stone 2 years ago on one and every bit has piled back on. I know I would lose weight but asoon as I would be back from holiday and back on WW, the weight will gradually come back. That is not my plan. This time im for real and even if I lose 1lb per week, every lb counts and this time it will stay off :D

Thanks xxx

Luckily im going with my mum who I will sit next to the annoying passenger... so I will either be on the aisle or next to the window...

:confused: I hope we dont get food, I might die if the food tray is tucked into my flab aswell looool
I always have the aisle seat as its less hassle getting in & out. I also think if you have to get up because others want to go to the toilet then at least it means that you're moving. I worry about DVT & it's not always easy to walk around, expecially on shorter flights.
Eating on a flight? :eek: That never happens for me except if I'm travelling with my oh then I can put things on his tray. The foods usually horrid anyway. I take a bottle of water & if its a long flight a couple of cereal bars.

the window seat has less room because of the curve of the plane -

good and bad point that you can squish your thighs right up the curve as ive done - but on some planes for some unknown reason (they like to torment us) some have an unmovable armrest there why!!??

I prefer an aisle seat at the front or back of the plane although good chance the evil trolly dollies will catch your thigh and they never say sorry. :mad::mad:

eurgh planes, dont remind me, i like to pretend the dont exist.
i went on holiday last year and to my horror had to get a seat belt extension, i was mortified as i thought as i would have my daughter on my lap i would have one anyway and then they couldnt think i need one cause i am too fat, well i was sooooo wrong they have a loop kinda thing that fits round the baby so you do have to have you belt fastend, the bloody trolly dolly(he was a man btw) was standing there watching me trying to squeeze myself into this seat belt and finally said "do you want me to get an extension" i was soooo upset i just nodded with a look of horror on my face tears filling my eyes, when i was on holiday i swam in the indoor pool every single day for the week, length after length, when i got on the plane coming home to m delight the belt fit round me and fastened, it was very tight and uncomfy but i didnt care anything was better than having an extension, i would have rather traveled home on the wing of the plane lol to be honest that should have been the kick up the bum i needed but no i am still here over a year later and probably a little heavier than i was then. i havent been on a plane since though, and i wont untill i know i can fit conmfortabley, my urge to go back to tunisia is getting strong though now so maybe it will put a rocket in my backside and get me going.

Back