Scared to eat my syns

pammyd

Silver Member
I know this sounds bizarre, but I'm scared to eat my syns in case I put weight on. During my first few weeks, my C told me to eat between 5 & 15 a day, then when it the weight wasn't going down she told me to hover around 10. Did that religiously and lost. But then following week put on. I then had one of those weekends that are full of eating and drinking and I omitted my syns the following week (habit leftover from WW days). Unfortunately this has now started to be a habit and I'm worried that if I start eating my syns mid week I'll stop losing. :sigh:. It doesn't take alot to confuse me and sometimes there is conflicting information, some people say, eat all your syns whatever, but what if I'm not hungry? Other say, after a bad weekend reduce the following week, isn't that like WW points saving? :argh:

I know this sounds bizarre, but I'm scared to eat my syns in case I put weight on. During my first few weeks, my C told me to eat between 5 & 15 a day, then when it the weight wasn't going down she told me to hover around 10. Did that religiously and lost. But then following week put on. I then had one of those weekends that are full of eating and drinking and I omitted my syns the following week (habit leftover from WW days). Unfortunately this has now started to be a habit and I'm worried that if I start eating my syns mid week I'll stop losing. :sigh:. It doesn't take alot to confuse me and sometimes there is conflicting information, some people say, eat all your syns whatever, but what if I'm not hungry? Other say, after a bad weekend reduce the following week, isn't that like WW points saving? :argh:

Hi Pammy
Ive just rejoined SW after a 6 month break and a spell in hosp (and a big gain :sigh:) I remember from before that there were 2 main reasons given for making sure you ate your syns
1. so that it makes the plan a realistic long term way of eating....without having to do without 'normal' food' you can use syns to cook with to stop meals becoming boring - or just for the occasional glass of wine at the pub ;)

2. If you do find you're at a sticking point and you've been eating no syns at all.....what have you got left in the plan that you can cut back on??...nothing as apart from the HEA/HEB which you need, its all free food.

I know its hard to get your head round, and there are people at my group (myself included) who have been in the same frame of mind as you.....and its probably due to doing other diets such as WW :confused: BUT honestly, you really wont do ypurself any favours at all by not getting your syns now:eek:
Ive been having about 12 syns a day and Ive lost 16 1b in 7 wk so far, but last time round I tried the syn free bit for a while and things were very slow at times (and restricting too lol) Hope this helps a bit:) x

You also need to remember that even if you were saving points on WW you had to use them all by the end of the week so you werent cutting back doing that the way you are by having no syns

thanks both, I'm really gonna have to watch I don't get too hung up on this.

The thing is SW have spent years working on a plan that works, unfortuanately bodies are not machines and don't always lose weight they way they should or we like them too, if you continue to not eat syns your really not following the plan and your weight loss will stall.

Trust the plan.

Teresa

SYNS are not SINS (though they used to be spelt that way a LONG time ago).

SYN is shorted from SYNERGY - and are there to be used to allow us to be realistic with what we eat by allowing us items that are not necessarily healthy but if were totally forbidden to us would lead to situations of "I fancy some mayonaise with this salad - oh bugger it - here's a few spoonfuls, after all in for a penny, in for a pound" (which later leads to - "oh well i've been off plan at lunch time, what does it count at dinner time now that the damage is done") and swap that to "well, i fancy some mayonaise with that, if i have a tablespoon of the extra light, then that's only one syn" and you've remained in control.

Use them - that's what they're there for. If you're like me, you'll find that sooner or later your body settles down to what it needs in way of daily syns.

(would it surprise people to know that i used all 15 nearly every day for the first 14 or so months of my journey and it's just been the last 6 or so that it's naturally fallen back to about 7 a day - no concious decision).

I think the time to reduce your syns is when your weight has remained fairly static for 6-8 weeks and you have stuck to plan near on 100%. Basically 15 syns a day is the equivilent of 300 calories. it is those 300 calories that allow you to make your meals more exciting, having a meringue with your fruit or a glass of wine with your evening meal. Without them you would fall off the wagon quite quickly throguh sheer boredom and anti social behaviour when eating out. When you near target it is wise to reduce your intake if your losses have stopped and the easiest way, second to reducing portion size according to your hunger signals is to work out the optimum number of syns you can handle and still lose weight. I wouldn't dream of reducing syns until you can do the plan standing on your head with your eyes closed walking backwards ie it has become a habit rather than a challenge Good luck xx

:fyi:Thanks IanH & Brightonrosie, y'see that is like a lightbulb moment, given full information allows me to understand things. :read:I'm not some-one who can do things just because its the way to do it, so when I'm given reason, i.e. "SYN is shorted from SYNERGY - and are there to be used to allow us to be realistic with what we eat by allowing us items that are not necessarily healthy but if were totally forbidden to us would lead to situations of "I fancy some mayonaise with this salad - oh bugger it - here's a few spoonfuls, after all in for a penny, in for a pound" (which later leads to - "oh well i've been off plan at lunch time, what does it count at dinner time now that the damage is done") and swap that to "well, i fancy some mayonaise with that, if i have a tablespoon of the extra light, then that's only one syn" and you've remained in control" backed up with numbers "15 syns a day is the equivilent of 300 calories." I can understand that, rather than, you just do. ;), and please, that is not to say any other advice I'm given isn't always gratefully received. :D

I too have difficulty eating Syns. I feel I eat so much of everything else that I don't really need all of them. I eat some, such as I use Extra Light Salad Cream on bread instead of using butter but apart from the odd Curly Wurly every so often I tend not to use them, or I go the other way and have a total blowout. It's finding a balance though I guess, and telling ourselves it's ok to use them, they're there to be used :)

Back