school holidays- help or hinderance?

ScarlettStar86

Gold Member
Some of you know I am a nanny, and I've been somewhat struggling staying on plan and not bingeing the last few months. I only do this when alone, or charge sleeping (sometimes likes a little nap after lunch).
He is starting school in September so I need to find a strategy for being alone for 6 hours a day and not bingeing. (although that's a whole other post..)
Been dreading the holidays a bit but after much thought I reckon that although the holidays with him and his brother will undoubtedly be more stressful, I won't get even 5 mins to myself in the day to eat outside my meals so I really think this could help my weightloss!
Been sinking into a bit of a hole about this but although everything around me is still falling apart, this may be my one saving grace to get me nearer to target. Fingers toes and everything else crossed!
How do mums find the holidays for their weightloss, its probably a bit different for me as they aren't my children and I work in someones house, but just interested to hear others experiences with this. X

I cope okay, but find the holidays a little harder for planning, not because of little one being home but because my boyfriend is also home (he's a teacher) Although saying that next year if I get a full time job in a school I'll find that difficult as I don't know what the options are for dinner ect.

I have also been having a little think the hols! I work in a school, so will be off for 6 glorious weeks with my little terror. Im realllly looking forward to the time off! :D BUT, i do have some small concern that i will in sight of the fridge alot more, and having days out (flippin cabury world next week! Rah!) My strategy is to keep in mind going back to work, and how i would like the girls to notice ive lost some poundage, obviously sticking to plan should do this...also hoping weather improves so we can get out and about and do some walking/bike riding. ALSOOO keeping in mind that i have sooo much time to plan and experiment with recipes and try new things...so there are my mindless thoughts on this subject, lol.xx
:D

I think we should have a Summer Holiday Survival Challenge - I know its a dreadful time for me because I am forever in and out of the cupboards getting stuff for the kids and their endless streams of half-starved/dehydrated friends.... It's like torture.,,,

Loving the idea of a summer survival! We can do this to each other, lol... :whip: Its the being at home more and managing to keep busy, and as you said LaMinx, the endless cupboard raiding for the kids. I think you should start a thread :D x

Thabks for the replies its nice to hear it from different angles. Find it really interesting how different situations affect us all in such different ways. I'm happy to join a challenge too to keep me on the straight and narrow but as I suspected whereas many others will struggle more in the hols, I find it easier when I'm busy all day and when its your job you really have to keep on the go all the time.
Really hope it helps me as I find myself bored, emotional (lots of cr*p going on at the moment) with cupboards full of junk at work! At least if the kids are there all day I'll barely have 5 mins to go for a wee let along binge on junk. Plus I wouldn't want the kids seeing me do that, its one thing letting them have a treat after dinner, its quite another watching me eat one of everything and still want more! I need something to drag me out of this hole and hope its the holidays that do it! :(

Awh, bless you. I get you on the binging. Im a recovered (always touch wood) bulimic,...ive found SW really helps me to stay on track, i havent even had the thoughts of binging because im to dam full all the time on my meals and superfree lol, my skin is better, im less bloated, i feel more 'together' and in control, theres still treats in the cupboard for my son (they would all disappear overnight at my worst times!) and i find it exciting that i can have chocolate/biscuits in the cupboard and not want to binge, and my dentist is going to be like 'wooooooooooooooow' :D ...after my next crown has gone in in a couple of weeks anyway :rolleyes: Just think of all the positives that not binging brings, its not easy, and i know it will always be in the back of my head talking to me, but being healthy is much more important and a happier place to be than ramming the fridge contents into you. And maybe all your rubbish times that youve got going off aswell will begin to seem clearer.xx Im going to start a survival thread on LaMinxs suggestion :) xx

Ive started the thread, it should show up soon i asssssume? ...im going to flippin Cabury World next week!! Excited and hoorah times and my son will loooooooooove it..... but bloody hell! Lol.

I'm in for that. I will however be starting my survival challenge on Monday - as its MrLaMinxs birthday weekend and on Saturday we are going to an ice cream farm and on Sunday (his actual birthday) he wants takeaway Indian - (any suggestions for nice takeaway veggie indian meals would be gratefully received, even better if they are relatively low syn but I dont anticipate NOT having bhajis :D This will be the first time I have had an Indian takeaway since going vegetarian (9 months now, fact fans) and I would never have considered ordering a veggie main course before - so this is all new turf for me - would a Biryani be a sensible bet? or something else? Anyway - yes, Monday start for me :D

Oooooooo, birthday weekend! Nom nom! Time to let loose a little i say! My best friend is a veggie and she has vegatable pasanda when we have indian...not low on syns im betting though as its creamy, tis lavly though! I would say a tomato based curry wouldnt you? Or maybe they do veggie skewers? Hmmmm, menu checking for youuuuu :p

I can't find the survival thread :( what's it called and in what section please??? I work term time only and I'm just hoping I'll be ok in the hols, 6 weeks is a lonnnng time!! I've been ok in the other hols but prefer being in a routine.....it's scarey.....eeeek!!

White wine hangover!

Last edited:
Back