Scotland???

kazz

Gold Member
Hello....jsut wondering who lives in Scotland??

Am seriously thinking of moving....would like to know a nice area, where house prices havent gone completely extortionate yet, with decent schools, good local employment etc....I have a nice rosemantic idea of moving to a quiet area, not a big city....any opinions appreciated!!

try east lothian kazz, thats where i am and its wonderful!! house prices are shooting up tho like most places, good luck x

Thanks people....just need to get a feel for where I want to be!! Was looking at ayrshire earlier actually!! House prices over here are unbelieveable....actually, I cannot see myself ever being able to afford a house here...if I move I would have a nice deposit as well so should make it a bit easier, plus I have good mortgage history......only problem I have is finding somewhere to go!!
Looked at East Lothian a while back as well....thought though that it was a bit too busy....maybe that was just my warped opinion though??!

Any more thoughts greatly appreciated!!

Hi Kazz, up in North of Scotland is stunning!! beautifull beautifull scenery very cold in winter though! and Argyle and Bute is just as nice, i considered moving there last year but decided to stay in Central Scotland because of work commitments . Best of luck to you. Ohhh why would you want to move from IOM? if i could afford it i would move there in a flash!

Different strokes for different folks i guess :D

Hi Tracie....theres a lo of reasons why I would like to move from here!! One of them is that the cost of living is obscene!! Another is that I want to be able to get to my family easier....it costs a fortune to get to Dublin....I checked flights for Christmas and they were nearly £300 for me & my little girl....absolutely ridiculous!! I feel kind of isolated here at times, and it can be quite claustorphobic as well...its just ideas I'm playing with at the moment!

Ohhh Kazz £300 is rediculous! isnt it.

What about Southern Ireland theres a lot of Beautifull places there as im sure there is in Northeren Ireland just incase i upset anyone who lives there :D:D

Opps sorry didnt know you'd lived there before :eek:

Dumfries & Galloway in Scotland is also beautiful and Loch Lommond ohhhhhhhh what the hell the whole of Scotland is lurvely apart from Glasgow i wouldnt reccommend anyone go there to live. Just my opinion :)

Ye see, I was thinking of Glasgow a while back, and ruled it out cos I reckoned its a bit busy....I want to be somewhere quiet, where your neighbours actually say hello to you and look out for each other, where my daughter can be safe and work isnt a pain in the a*s!!! Does such a place exist?! Dumfries I like the sound of....thats by the sea isnt it?? I've only lived here for 2 years and cant imagine not living near the sea!!

Hi Kazz, yes Dumfries is near the sea it's a great place to live i have relatives there and Franz Ferdinand has a house there :) lol.

It's rural yet central if you know what i mean and it's not as busy as the bigger cities, yep i can personally recommend Dumfries & Galloway, we only get one life and to know what we want we have to go out there and taste if we dont taste we will never know.

Hi Kazz, yes Dumfries is near the sea it's a great place to live i have relatives there and Franz Ferdinand has a house there :) lol.

It's rural yet central if you know what i mean and it's not as busy as the bigger cities, yep i can personally recommend Dumfries & Galloway, we only get one life and to know what we want we have to go out there and taste if we dont taste we will never know.

It sounds lovely!! Now a slightly silly question....how long a drive would it be from either glasgow or edinburgh airports??

Glasgow Edinburgh and Newcastle airpots are all roughly the same distance from Dumfries although i would say Edinburgh is slightly closer not much though, all no more than an hour and a halfs drive but that's just from Dumfries, it would all depends where you settled as dumfries & galloway is a big area.

So I would have a choice of 3 airports....wow!! Makes change from only having one here that closes at night!! Right next task....see if I can sort my mortgage and how hard it would be to get a job....I work for HBOS (and I know its an evil company now due to the recent farepak thingy!) and would really like to stay working for them...

Thanks Tracie!!

Your so welcome Kazz :D and yes it's true 3 airports for you too choose from!

Even if you did change your job there are plenty out there you just have to go and look and yes even in Dumfries :D remember and let us know where you decide to go if you do move.

Hrm....little old me only knows about Fife and Dundee!! Other half is in Glasgow and it's not my cup of tea...the west coast get masses of rain compared to the east and it generally just scares me....but thats me, girlie wuss! Anywhere near Edinburgh is pretty expensive cause people are commuting and stuff but Edinburgh is a lovely place and pretty easy to get to from anywhere in Fife.

HBOS is all over the place so no worries about that one!!

hrm....I like Dundee....bigger than Dunfermline (my hometown) and has more shops in it!! prices are crazy though. drat!!! xx

Oh new picture am i right? or is it me being dumb :eek:

You look fab you do!! :D:D

I live further north than most on here, at the mo i'm living in Aberdeen but am originally from Alness, which isn't that far from Inverness. House prices here are worst in Scotland but due to being Oil Capital of Europe.

If i won the lottery i'd move to Blanefield, its a little villiage just outside Glasgow's West End. Personally i love Glasgow, obviously it has its rough areas but mosts major city's do eh?? Edinburgh is great for a weekend away but its too "tourist-driven" for me but its easy to see why people flock there is fantastic.

My brother has a house in Croftamie which is a stones throw from Loch Lomond and it is beautiful but very remote and unless you drive you'd be pretty snookered.... bit remote for me, i like street lights, ha ha!! He also has a flat on Gt Western Road in Glasgow which is Kelvinside and i have to say its knock-out, you'd never know you were in a huge city.

I don't have kids (yet!) but friends that do are happy with the schools and we don't have a massive population here either so it might be easier to get into the school of your choice - although i am sure there are catchment areas.

Up north is lovely, Inverness is a big town more than a city and also Elgin is a great place to bring up kids.

Hope you don't mind me adding my 2-bits worth.

Back