Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Sea Buckthorn - trying this out

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by RachBlue, 29 September 2011 Social URL.

1. RachBlue

RachBlue Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Cal Counting @ 1550cals / day + following Dr Stephen Gullo's theories about knowing your weaknesses
    A few months ago before I really committed to getting the weight off, I bought this "Sea Buckthorn Elixir" stuff by Weleda from Nutricentre, and when I bought it I noticed it was listed on a few sites as helping weightloss. I bought it because I'd been feeling unwell off and on for a while, and reading up on things it looked like it might be helpful - I didn't draw conclusions either way on whether it was, or whether I just got better naturally in the end. I am totally open to herbal and naturopathic products, but also aware of how strong the placebo effect is, and also confirmation bias... :hmm:

Anyway, back to the stuff - it's basically sea buckthorn berries (wikipedia) as a sugary syrup, and I have a big problem with the word "elixir" (sounds SO snake oil!) BUT I did notice that the scales dropped a little, without me actually eating any less... unfortunately the stuff was so bloody yummy that I got through the whole bottle in just a couple of days! :D

It didn't have a laxative or diuretic effects, so I figured it's nice anyway, seems healthy, and can't do any harm.

I've hit a bit of a plateau now, due in part to not walking that much recently, and recently I had a craving for glacé ginger, so scoffed a whole pot over a couple of days, which added a generous 630+cals to my week! :rolleyes:

So, I've reordered the "elixir" (wooooo! :giggle:) and I'm going to give it a 2-week trial now I'm seriously going for it with my weight, this time fighting off (I greatly hope) the desire to guzzle it all down in a short period... and I'll keep posting here if I get any results.

My stats are in the sidebar, not sure if my age is listed anywhere but I'm about to turn 41, to give this little guinea-pig thingy some background! :cool:

Has anyone else tried this stuff before, and if so, did you notice any effect on your weight? :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. HiImRachel

HiImRachel Full Member

Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Sounds intriguing to me.

I hope it works for you. I'm tempted to try it myself. :)

4. Squeezyweezy

Squeezyweezy Gold Member

Diet:
    Being healthy
    Yeah, please keep us posted. I have read up on it before actually, but not tried it myself. I do take green tea tablets for the same reason, and they have had no affect on my weight loss whatsoever.
    Is this elixir expensive? I know some of these things come with a hefty price tag.

5. RachBlue

RachBlue Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Cal Counting @ 1550cals / day + following Dr Stephen Gullo's theories about knowing your weaknesses
    It's £9.95 for a small bottle, about the size of cough syrup, which isn't cheap at all but you only use a couple of tablespoons a day - in theory anyway! :8855:

Logic tells me that nothing can magically burn fat, but I can just about afford it and it's got to be worth a try, I've not seen anything implying it's harmful and in fact quite the opposite...

And, just because I don't have a large amount to lose doesn't actually make it any easier, because the temptation's there 24/7 to just say "s#d it, I'm not that bad, this is too hard, pass the food!" - seeing results however keeps me motivated, so anything that helps that is worth the price! :cool:

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.