Secret Slimming in Paris

Confession time. Like a few of my Mini friends I have been naughty!

Had a leaving lunch for a colleague at work and so another colleague made lunch for everyone. And she made quiche - QUICHE!!

I tried to be good and had lots of salad but I was so hungry I couldn't resist! I had a slither of salmon quiche followed by a slither of chicken. And I mean a slither! But after googling syns in quiche I still feel mega guilty!

Oh well, I haven't had many syns all week so hopefully it'll be fine....

Red day:

Breakfast: wm muffin, bacon, egg
Snack: mango
Lunch: 2xslithers of quiche with lots of salad followed by strawberries
Snack: Banana and ff yogurt
Dinner: skinless chicken thigh

Fabien was eating a kebab when I got in and couldn't be bothered to cook so just wacked a chicken thigh in the oven. Made a salad to go with it then dropped the plate on the floor....:d'oh: so I just ate the chicken. Didn't feel hungry afterwards luckily!

I am now on holiday until the 28th March - yeyyyy!! Have nothing planned (just had to use or lose my holiday days) but I'm looking forward to organising and cleaning the house and making the most of the lovely sun (as long as the pollution clears up!) Lots of lovely things to do for free in Paris when it's sunny!xx

Sophie - when you've a moment, pop across to my thread and read Pom's post (no 658) as it's really a response to one of your messages. I think you'll find it helpful.

You are doing brilliantly as it's not easy being a secret slimmer. However, the time will come when it will be obvious that you are losing weight - people probably suspect already but are too polite to say anything - but it is worth planning some responses to the inevitable questions. A good stock one is along the lines of eating more healthily, but I'm sure other readers will make suggestions.

Thanks, Patty! I'll def check that out!

Funnily enough my manager mentioned it to me today... She first of all made a comment out loud in front of other team members 'Sophie - you've lost loads of weight!' I felt so awkward, went bright red and just pretended not to have heard.....AWKWARD!

Then later on she sent me a message on 'office communicator' asking me if I was losing weight on purpose and if so how was I doing it. Again, I felt awkward and really it was even worse written down! I ended up just saying that yes, I am being careful about what I eat but I don't really want the whole team talking about it because I feel so awkward about it! She was very understanding - luckily!

It's such a two faced sword (is that the right expression?) as it's so nice hearing compliments as it means it is noticeable but it also makes me so tense and embarrassed! I'm off to read Pom's post for a bit of advice :D x

Try just smiling, saying you have lost weight and thanking them for noticing. If they want details just talk generally about less fatty things/more veg etc and segue into talking about the fantastic choice available in X store and you're currently hooked on Y product etc. It's hard to start with but gets easier with practice!!

Try just smiling, saying you have lost weight and thanking them for noticing. If they want details just talk generally about less fatty things/more veg etc and segue into talking about the fantastic choice available in X store and you're currently hooked on Y product etc. It's hard to start with but gets easier with practice!!

Thanks, Patty! So supportive and full of sound advice - as always!!! Very lucky to have you subscribed to my diary!

Same goes for all of you! Where would I be without you??! xx

In a way I think that losing that first chunk of weight I have proven to myself that it's do-able and given myself permission to look at my body again. Before I'd avoid mirrors and, to be honest, was in denial! The truth hurt too much to think about but losing weight seemed like such a mammoth task that it was impossible to begin!

OMG I can relate to this so much! I was in so much denial I didn't even look in full length mirrors as a way of completely refusing to face up to the problem. I always knew I needed to lose weight but it seemed like such a massive task that I was always too afraid to start. I was in so much denial that I've only started really noticing how big I am over the last few months! :eek: Its pretty weird because at the moment I feel massive, a lot more so than when I was 5 stone heavier! Mad how we can delude ourselves and hide away from reality... :rolleyes:

Sounds crazy with all that pollution in Paris atm, so much for your lovely view! I'm still crazy jealous that you live in Paris though, such a beautiful city! x

OMG I can relate to this so much! I was in so much denial I didn't even look in full length mirrors as a way of completely refusing to face up to the problem. I always knew I needed to lose weight but it seemed like such a massive task that I was always too afraid to start. I was in so much denial that I've only started really noticing how big I am over the last few months! :eek: Its pretty weird because at the moment I feel massive, a lot more so than when I was 5 stone heavier! Mad how we can delude ourselves and hide away from reality... :rolleyes:

Sounds crazy with all that pollution in Paris atm, so much for your lovely view! I'm still crazy jealous that you live in Paris though, such a beautiful city! x

It's crazy - right?! Even D mentioned it when I was in Lyon! Before, when I got in the lift in her building I'd subconsciously have my back to the mirror - every time! Last time I was there though I looked at myself every time we were in the lift to fix my hair or have a critical look at my outfit and she was like 'I think that's the first time I've seen you look in a mirror for years!'

Paris is great and is an amazing city but is inherently paradoxical! For every pro there is a con! During the springtime I tend to have stars in my eyes though! They block out all the horrible stuff and I only ever see the beautiful side in the beautiful sun! Give it a few months and I'll be complaining about the heat, the sweaty men in the metro shoving there non-deodorized armpits to my nose and the hundreds of lost tourists blocking up the metro with there suitcases and abruptly and unexpectedly stopping in the middle of the street to look at their maps! I love Paris most of the time but there are things that I hate! (I won't go into the cost of living, I'll just tell you that we pay 700€ a month for a tiny apartment!! and we have bills and council tax to pay on top of that!!) Great for a city break, though! xx

Wow the pollution is THAT bad?! Bloody hell! That's rather scary! Are you ok like?

Aww lovely about the comment from work person. Even though it made you feel awkward. I think you're going to have to get used to it, because you're doing amazingly :D It is a difficult one though and I really struggled with it too. I'm crap with compliments tho tbh and just grumble or make a sarcastic comment. So I'm of no use to you really lol!

Amazing that you looked in the mirror in the lift. I would say that is a major big step!

Oh and don't worry about the quiche. Pffft! Two small bits wont damage your chances of a loss, not when you have un-used syns left. Don't worry :) xx

Evening Sophie

Don't expect me to post much - nothing against you. It's just that I'm trying to spend less time on Minis and I actually threatened to leave completely a couple of weeks ago (don't ask) . . . but your comment on Patty's fred made me want to hop on over here and have a nosey. You said . . .

. . . I was just saying to Patty on my diary I had my first 'you've lost loads of weight!' comment which was really lovely to hear but I also found quite embarrassing! Definitely is nice to know that other people can see my body changing!

I can soooooooooooo relate to this. Whenever I got a compliment I just couldn't accept it, didn't know to respond properly and wouldn't even say thanks. Definitely embarrassed and I'd just mumble on about how much more I still had to lose etc etc.

There's a couple of other posts that I'll comment on.

. . . However, the time will come when it will be obvious that you are losing weight - people probably suspect already but are too polite to say anything
The other reason people don't say anything is that they are afraid to ask. Someone sidled up to Mr Pom at our bridge club and asked if I was OK. We hadn't seen them for over 12 months (we get a few UK Snow birds come to join us in the Spring/Summer) and they were worried about asking me directly why I'd lost so much weight in case I was ill.

There will come a time when you have to come clean with everyone and face the compliments. You'll need to find a way of answering - and saying thank you. Blumin' hard I know but the compliments actually used to embarass me sooooooooooooo much too.

Hah - so NOT me. I used to happily look in mirrors and don't even think denial came into it . . . I just didn't see how fat I actually was.
It took a long time to admit the "fat" word and when I did there were lots of tears and heart searching went on.

There's a long rambling post in another fred of mine (that I was bullied into posting :8855:) that you might want to read as this tells you exactly the heart break and soul searching I went through in getting to target and when I finally got there.
Haved a look here -

And yes, I'm a lot older than you (ALMOST old enough to be your GRAN! - no comments please).
And I know how hard it is to do on your own as I too live abroad.
So if this old fart can do it - so can you!!!

Last edited:
Grrr just wrote a post that wouldn't publish!

Will reply to you lovelies tomorrow, just wanted to write down food before I forget!

Breakfast: wm muffin with 1/2 tin of beans
Snack: banana
Lunch: M&S 2 person fruit salad (all for me!)
Dinner: small JP with 1/2 tin beans, 30g cheese & salad
Naughty midnight snack: mini M&S wm submarine roll (weighed in at 30g-ish) with 20g reduced fat cheddar

Feels like I've been naughty but I've resisted soooo much temptation today! My little sandwich was the only thing keeping me on the straight&narrow! More to follow demain!

Nighty night!x

Just had another mini roll!! This time with tomato though! Oh well, just means I've used all my HEs! Probs not in the most effective way but as I had such a light lunch I'm sure it'll be fine! Really am going to bed now, before I can persuade myself to eat something else!!x

Haha how times have changed when something naughty is a wholemeal roll lol. Hope you slept well x

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Haha how times have changed when something naughty is a wholemeal roll lol. Hope you slept well x

Haha, you are so right! In hindsight, my post was ridiculous! I was just annoyed at myself because I was planning on going straight to bed when I got in! But really, 2 mini rolls are nothing!

x

Evening Sophie

Don't expect me to post much - nothing against you. It's just that I'm trying to spend less time on Minis and I actually threatened to leave completely a couple of weeks ago (don't ask) . . . but your comment on Patty's fred made me want to hop on over here and have a nosey. You said . . .

I can soooooooooooo relate to this. Whenever I got a compliment I just couldn't accept it, didn't know to respond properly and wouldn't even say thanks. Definitely embarrassed and I'd just mumble on about how much more I still had to lose etc etc.

There's a couple of other posts that I'll comment on.

The other reason people don't say anything is that they are afraid to ask. Someone sidled up to Mr Pom at our bridge club and asked if I was OK. We hadn't seen them for over 12 months (we get a few UK Snow birds come to join us in the Spring/Summer) and they were worried about asking me directly why I'd lost so much weight in case I was ill.

There will come a time when you have to come clean with everyone and face the compliments. You'll need to find a way of answering - and saying thank you. Blumin' hard I know but the compliments actually used to embarass me sooooooooooooo much too.

Hah - so NOT me. I used to happily look in mirrors and don't even think denial came into it . . . I just didn't see how fat I actually was.
It took a long time to admit the "fat" word and when I did there were lots of tears and heart searching went on.

There's a long rambling post in another fred of mine (that I was bullied into posting :8855:) that you might want to read as this tells you exactly the heart break and soul searching I went through in getting to target and when I finally got there.
Haved a look here -

And yes, I'm a lot older than you (ALMOST old enough to be your GRAN! - no comments please).
And I know how hard it is to do on your own as I too live abroad.
So if this old fart can do it - so can you!!!

Hi Pomette!

Thanks for the advice! Don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't post haha. Minis is so addictive, I can understand you wanting to reduce your time on here!

Compliments are really hard to cope with! Glad I'm not the only one who finds this!

Pom, I think in a way it was probably a good thing you didn't feel 'fat'. It means you were comfortable and confident! I think one of the worst things (other than health risks) about being fat for me is that it really does affect my confidence...even if I have spent a long time in denial!

I'll definitely check out your other thread.

Doing it abroad is hard too. Hearing about British products on other threads (like mugshots) leaves me bewildered! Also, I'm sure there are lots of other SW friendly foods available in supermarkets here that I just don't know of!

By the way - judging by your profile picture - you are so NOT old enough to be my Mum even! Never mind my Gran!!

x

Wow the pollution is THAT bad?! Bloody hell! That's rather scary! Are you ok like?

Aww lovely about the comment from work person. Even though it made you feel awkward. I think you're going to have to get used to it, because you're doing amazingly :D It is a difficult one though and I really struggled with it too. I'm crap with compliments tho tbh and just grumble or make a sarcastic comment. So I'm of no use to you really lol!

Amazing that you looked in the mirror in the lift. I would say that is a major big step!

Oh and don't worry about the quiche. Pffft! Two small bits wont damage your chances of a loss, not when you have un-used syns left. Don't worry :) xx

Hey Cheeky!

Yeah the pollution is terrible but yeah I'm fine! Despite the health warnings we have been having picnics and stuff outside in the Sun... At the end of the day whether I'm inside or outside I'm breathing the same air!

Yeah, it was really nice of her! I definitely do need to work on my reply though - haha! I really do feel like I have such a long way to go though, so it feels like cheating accepting compliments so early on!

Yeah, I hope I'll be ok with the quiche... The syn value of it is so high though! It really shocked me! Annoying because I didn't really enjoy it but hey! From time to time, when Fabien gets a kebab, I'll have a cheeky bite. That's probably just as synful but I get so much more out of it!

x

So, I had a really nice day yesterday.

Went with a friend and her work friend on a little day trip to visit a castle. We were walking around for 3 hours in the woods&gardens trying to find it. When I eventually had reception I looked it up on google and we discovered the castle was bombarded in the 1870's during the Franco-Prussian war...ooops!!

The gardens were nice though!

We then went to the big M&S at Beaugrenelle. My friend and her colleague got Mexican food from Chipotle and I pretended to be full from my banana (so hard!) and just got a coke zero. Her colleague then left and we went to M&S. Got some reduced fat cheese, wm rolls, beans, porridge and other British delights!

We then went shopping and I gobbled down the fruit salad I'd bought in M&S (it was sooo nice!).

By this time we couldn't be bothered to walk back to the metro so got on a random bus that took ages to get to a useful metro line but it was nice to be travelling above ground for once! Came home, put the shopping away, had a jacket potato and a shower and went straight back out for my friends bday night out! I was on diet cokes as I didn't feel like drinking and don't really enjoy alcohol or feeling drunk tbh. I like to be in control!

After the 5th bar the girls were hungry and wanted to go to Chipotle!! Faced with temptation twice in one day!!! Luckily the JP had filled me up so could comfortably refuse. In the past though, not being hungry would not have stopped me!

Came home quite early (around midnight) as another friend was going my way and needed to be back home (and she was so drunk I thought she could do with a helping hand!) and had my little snack!

Got no plans yet for today. F and I have just been to the supermarket to get a new iron (ours broke yesterday) and some bits. He is refereeing a basketball match at 2pm so I'll probs go somewhere with my friends. Need to make sure I don't spend any money though! My soft drinks last night were 6€ per drink! It would have been cheaper to have beer (5€ per drink in some bars during Happy Hour!).

x

Wow - it seems inadequate to say well done to resisting all the temptations you faced yesterday but.... Well done! It sounds as though you had a lovely day and I'm sure that sticking to plan made it an even better day. Your friends will get used to you not eating and drinking and, if a certain book is to be believed, they won't be at all surprised!

When I started SW this time around, I decided to recognise that there would be times when I couldn't stick 100% to plan - meals out, birthdays/Christmas/holidays etc. - but enjoying these didn't mean I had 'blown the diet', it just meant that it was on ice for a few hours/days/whatever and I would be back on it at the next opportunity. This, I think, is how a naturally slim person eats; they enjoy the odd treat or blow out and then go back to eating 'normally' and for us, SW is our new 'normal'.

Don't worry about not having access to mug shots and super noodles - I haven't used them as I prefer 'proper' food but next time you're in the UK or someone comes out to visit, perhaps you could get a stash if you think they could be useful.

i also meant to say that you are getting a lot of NSVs - Non-scale victories: the towel going round you, the jeans fitting, the compliments, being able to look in a mirror. Keep a list of them as they can be motivators. Did you make a list of reasons as to why you wanted to lose weight? If not, do it now as again it can be a motivator - imagine being able to cross them off as you achieve them.

Wow - it seems inadequate to say well done to resisting all the temptations you faced yesterday but.... Well done! It sounds as though you had a lovely day and I'm sure that sticking to plan made it an even better day. Your friends will get used to you not eating and drinking and, if a certain book is to be believed, they won't be at all surprised!

When I started SW this time around, I decided to recognise that there would be times when I couldn't stick 100% to plan - meals out, birthdays/Christmas/holidays etc. - but enjoying these didn't mean I had 'blown the diet', it just meant that it was on ice for a few hours/days/whatever and I would be back on it at the next opportunity. This, I think, is how a naturally slim person eats; they enjoy the odd treat or blow out and then go back to eating 'normally' and for us, SW is our new 'normal'.

Don't worry about not having access to mug shots and super noodles - I haven't used them as I prefer 'proper' food but next time you're in the UK or someone comes out to visit, perhaps you could get a stash if you think they could be useful.

i also meant to say that you are getting a lot of NSVs - Non-scale victories: the towel going round you, the jeans fitting, the compliments, being able to look in a mirror. Keep a list of them as they can be motivators. Did you make a list of reasons as to why you wanted to lose weight? If not, do it now as again it can be a motivator - imagine being able to cross them off as you achieve them.

Oooh, am I allowed to know which book? Or is that forbidden by the Mini supervisors?

You are are so good at hopping back on the bandwagon! I'm still so scared of falling off it completely! And while I am enjoying SW so much and coping saying no, I might as well make the most of it! I also know that there could always be a reason for me to go off plan (meal out with friends, trips away, work drinks etc etc) I will have to work it in at some point though!

To be honest, M&S has greatly enhanced my life! Ok, France might be known for it's food but I'll take cheddar over emmental any day! I do miss supernoodles but I suppose they aren't really super good for the body and probably a good job I can't have them!

I do have a list, with all the 'normal' motivations and one little extra one which I'll share on the thread in the future! Love that I don't have to shop in the plus size range any more! That is a real pleasure!

x

The book has a title something like 'French women don't get fat' which, based on what I saw last time I was on holiday in France is palpably not true! Maybe Parisiennes don't get fat? I did notice that a lot of younger French women don't appear to have hips or saddlebag thighs.

. . .By the way - judging by your profile picture - you are so NOT old enough to be my Mum even! Never mind my Gran!!

x

Thanks for the compliment but I so so wish I was 23 again!
That pic was taken 12 months ago and is very flattering - even if I say so myself.
I've been with Mr Pom 41 years - and married for 38 of them! I'll be 60 next year :cry:

Patty, Parisians are so skinny! They also wear a lot of black which makes them look even skinnier! It is very rare that you come across a 'fat person' never mind someone as heavy as me! When I go back to my home town in England I'm always shocked by the difference! (Over 2/3s of the population in Co. Durham are overweight/obese.)

Pommette, what a real romance! You and Mr Pom being together for over 40 years! I hope F and I last as long!!

x

Back