Secret to shaping up

Morning all :)

Sorry been a bit awol, but routine has changed and it doesnt help when i complete a post then my battery dies just before sending lol

I completed a few short freestyles and got Art of Strength Providence done Thursday, I havent done this one for a while as I had lent the dvd out, and a couple of the moves were quite challenging. Completed a quick core yesterday and will be having a full session today, not sure which dvd I will be doing at the mo :)

Martin, great to hear the house sold. Moving and packing and sorting all the old stuff out are a workout in their own right. Best you wait to get your 20 until you move into your new place, will just be another thing to pack :)

Slodgergill great to hear you got started, and now week 1 cardio is out of the way the rest will be plain sailing (sort of lol) You may not be able to keep up at the start, but that wil soon change as you get to know the moves better. Get those measurements done, its a great way to check progress :)

Misbehave bless him, an 8 will feel quite heavy, but as you can see most of us have progressed to this weight after never ever believing we would be able to pick it up never mind swing with it lol Great to hear you are starting to notice your body shape changing, its a great feeling when clothes start to feel bigger :)

Sue what is your initial thought of the Kettlercise dvd, i went to order the 2nd one that was on special but completely forgot lol Sounds like your abs got a good workout doing the 8 min session

Susie sorry to hear your thumb joint is playing up, sounds like the weight or grip you were using kicked it off. i have had a dull pain in this part of my hand before so you may need to be careful. Hope it eases soon x Congrats on your weight loss

just angie welcome, haha you finally came into land :) There ia a thread that has a load of online short workouts, so have a look and give it a go :)

Plum congrats on your weight loss :) Mr K wouldnt let me be in the same room when he first started swinging, and loves to grumble about some of the moves lol. He has been pretty lax lately so encouraged him to get going again, he did week 4 cardio, and struggled as he had stopped, but came downstairs declaring how much he had missed Ryan :) Hope you are ok after your swing, dont push yourself when your ME is playing up, i know its easy to overdo it when you are feeling better x

Suseka hope your WI went ok and your little protein tweaks dont affect your plan, it will be a challenge to get the right balance

Shirleen brilliant to hear your lighter :) I heard ages ago that sometimes the mid section can appear to be 'bigger' when in reality the rest of you is shrinking so its like an optical illusion! Hope you enjoyed your core freestyle, I think thats my most fav body part to work out, altho tough its loads better than cardio lol

Joanne hi :) perfect timing to get a kw session in before your hols, it might feel a bit of a struggle wen starting again, but it wont be long before your back into it :)

Trimlee great to have you back, I hope your start isnt too painful, but in a weird way those DOMS are great :)

Happy Swinging xx

OUCH!!!!!!!

DOMS kicked in big style on Fri, could barely walk! Was hoping to get to the gym today but again i think I'll have to leave it another day just to be sure of not hurting myself.

I remember this from when i first started back at dance class last summer, I was shocked that a little old dance class could render me unable to walk up and down the stairs!

I'm just really frustrated, want to go and workout or do my next kb dvd but can't. Tomorrow I WILL go to the gym and Monday I'll do the wk1 resistance after my cardio session at the gym.

Splodgergill said:
OUCH!!!!!!!

DOMS kicked in big style on Fri, could barely walk! Was hoping to get to the gym today but again i think I'll have to leave it another day just to be sure of not hurting myself.

I remember this from when i first started back at dance class last summer, I was shocked that a little old dance class could render me unable to walk up and down the stairs!

I'm just really frustrated, want to go and workout or do my next kb dvd but can't. Tomorrow I WILL go to the gym and Monday I'll do the wk1 resistance after my cardio session at the gym.

I've had this for over a week Twice....some of is don't learn!
I think it's best to walk it off, so maybe go to the gym and work on the treadmill and your upper body? Massage helps the quads too, I used a can of deodorant and rolled that firmly up and down the front of my legs, hurts a bit at first and then is really soothing. Hope it wears off soon cxx

Arnica cream works wonders! I know what DOMS is but what do the letter stand for? Dummies Or Morons Suffer???

Mis-behave said:
Arnica cream works wonders! I know what DOMS is but what do the letter stand for? Dummies Or Morons Suffer???

Haha nice one!

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness!

Doing ordinary movements suffering

Shirleen said:
Haha nice one!

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness!

Doing ordinary movements suffering

Ahh a nice technical term.. For my legs hurt like heck!! My understanding is now complete :)

Thanks trimlee and kron. :)

Kron, I know I probably shouldn't have, I was just feeling so fidgety despite being knackered. Hopefully I've gotten away with it but the next couple of days will tell. Naughty plum!!

Edit: forgot to say, mr plum doesn't mind exercising together but he does get a little cross if I tell him off for bad form. Back in the day I used to do free weights (seems I love heavy lumps of metal, be they kettlebell-shaped or otherwise) and so I am a stickler for form. I think he realises that it's out of concern that he avoids injury, really, and not just nagging...

Last edited:
Thanks Kron :) Round 2 WK1 Cardio is out the way, my bum is sore as is my thighs :) happy days haha x

Hi Joanne and Trimlee - thanks for asking after me. I'm fine ta. Weight is still coming off - even if it is 1lb a week, but clothes are getting looser by the day. I'll take whatever I can get - inch loss or pounds lighter. I'm not fussy! :)

Good result today. A new pair of work trousers in a size 14! They are stretchy fabric but as I sit down at work I can't be doing with anything digging in. Still pleased with a 14 though!

Swinging tomorrow morning for me. x

Hi all, I've been doing kettlercise classes/DVD for 7 weeks now.. I don't get any pain in my legs afterwards, I can feel them aching during class but nothing after.. This is normal right??!!!

Hi Kron - I think it would be a little unfair of me to judge Kettlercise after just one 8 minute abs session but I did watch the instructional moves section which I thought was good and would be very helpful to newbies. There is also a section which tells you what you need to schedule in each week. No good for me. I wouldn't be able to commit to a 50 minute session during the week and I can imagine some folk would find that off-putting. I was also less than impressed with them trying to flog their protein shake thing on it - but maybe that's me just being po-faced. :)

I think its a bit unrealistic to expect you to watch the instructional moves section and then launch straight into the workout where you just go from move to move and there's no explanation again. Maybe if you attend a class you would be fine as you would pick up the moves a bit quicker, but I can see some people might get a bit disheartened and struggle to keep up when you first get started.

Perhaps I'm just wedded to KW but I find the instructional element as you go along for each move much easier. Glad I went with this when I first started out. Not sure if I would have lasted with Kettlercise and it doesn't seem very motivational (although I haven't seen the 50 mins session so this might change). However, for where I am now, I think its a good alternative. :)

Hi all, I've been doing kettlercise classes/DVD for 7 weeks now.. I don't get any pain in my legs afterwards, I can feel them aching during class but nothing after.. This is normal right??!!!

I don't get pain as such, more of a heavy feeling in my limbs. I know I've worked them hard if you get what I mean.

Ok, yeah I get a warm tingly feeling in my arms and legs..

The DVD is much easier for me to follow as I know most of the moves from the class, but I did find the instruction part of the DVD helpful as I didn't know how to do the reverse wood chops etc.. Once watched instructions is pretty easy to follow in the full workout.. And you can alway stop and rewind :) The schedules are just to try and give you an Idea of how to structure your week, I tend to do the 50 min work out after kids in bed, on the nights I don't go to class.. And a few times did express work out followed by the full one lol.. I had a night off last night so back into it again tonight.. So I do a full 50-60 min work out each time whether it is the DVD or the class :) 5-6 nights a week! Which the schedule doesn't suggest.. Assuming they think we are sane and not crazy lol ;)

Cat Lover Sue said:
Good result today. A new pair of work trousers in a size 14! They are stretchy fabric but as I sit down at work I can't be doing with anything digging in. Still pleased with a 14 though!

Whoop! All your hard work is obviously paying dividends, what a great non-scale victory. :D

Ok, yeah I get a warm tingly feeling in my arms and legs..

The DVD is much easier for me to follow as I know most of the moves from the class, but I did find the instruction part of the DVD helpful as I didn't know how to do the reverse wood chops etc.. Once watched instructions is pretty easy to follow in the full workout.. And you can alway stop and rewind :) The schedules are just to try and give you an Idea of how to structure your week, I tend to do the 50 min work out after kids in bed, on the nights I don't go to class.. And a few times did express work out followed by the full one lol.. I had a night off last night so back into it again tonight.. So I do a full 50-60 min work out each time whether it is the DVD or the class :) 5-6 nights a week! Which the schedule doesn't suggest.. Assuming they think we are sane and not crazy lol ;)

You need help! :D

Nah not dissing Kettlercise, its a good alternative as I said. Its just a very different feel to Kettleworx but the actual exercises, although called different things, are pretty much the same.

Cat Lover Sue said:
Hi Joanne and Trimlee - thanks for asking after me. I'm fine ta. Weight is still coming off - even if it is 1lb a week, but clothes are getting looser by the day. I'll take whatever I can get - inch loss or pounds lighter. I'm not fussy! :)

What a fantastic feeling :) xx

Morning all :)

I completed AoS Providence again yesterday, i took note of the moves as i am doing a bell show and tell at sw group, last time i did it I kept forgetting the moves, so will be taking my list so can flow through the moves. Amazing considering there are 100s of moves you can do with a bell, my mind went blank lol

I also have a few collegues who want to start, so i am thinking of getting them all together at a local gym and showing them how to swing ;)

Splodgergill ouch hope your soreness wears off. I have found doing a very light workout can help ease those muscles, but if using the stairs is hurting you got it bad :)

Haha Shirleen, you are the queen of DOMS :) you did get it bad esp when you first started

Misbehave your muscle soreness will go away after a while, but this is due to you becoming stronger. As long as you feel challenged during most of your sets your still working those muscles hard. i find that I rarely ache now, but if i move up in weight or switch around my dvds as they have different combos it challenges me so I can get an ache. I love gettting that achy feeling, but not when its crippling :) You are really doing well managing 5-6 workouts, puts my 1-2 hours to shame lol

Plum hope your feeling ok and your swing hasnt affected you too much. Mr Ks form can be quite shocking lol he is getting better, and so far he has had no injuries!

Joanne got to love those aches lol, bet not as bad as round 1 :)

Sue I think thats why kw is such a good one to start with, apart from the variation in workouts, it is quick whereas most other dvds require 50+ mins to do

I hope to get a core workout in today (scribbling the moves for show and tell) I think totm is due, I have been inhaling everything in sight, and as i know where all the treats are hidden I was digging into them all day!!! so must make an effort and be good today (altho there is a little dessert in the fridge waiting for me) lol

Great work Sue, a size 14 :)
Looks like another wardrobe clear out before too much longer!!!

Morning All - just completed a very sweaty Round 2, Wk4 Advanced Cardio session. Had to have the window wide open and its blowing a gale here. Even that didn't help. My heart is just about settling back down again! (Although not helped by a sudden crash from upstairs where I can only assume Mr Sue has just dropped a bell - I did shout up - he is fine - the clumsy sod! :eek:)!

Feel a slight fraud about the size 14 work trousers. They are a stretchy heavy jersey material :), however I am comfortably wearing size 16 jeans now and I know it won't be long before I can do 14s - I have a pair ready to go, as well as my size 16 new look skinnies! :)

I also got a new anorak yesterday (we in the Highlands rock the Goretex look by the way :D). Size 16 zipped straight up no messing. If it wasn't for my boobies I could have got away with a 14. Still its such a fab feeling to be able to walk into a shop and know that something will fit!

Celebrated yesterday with a pack of Maltesers mini easter bunnies - nom nom nom :)

Have a great day everybody. I will be inspecting my bells later for any dents. I suspect it will be my fault for leaving them all sweaty! :D

Back