Secret to shaping up

Pavel is one of the most respected kb instructors in the world
In Russia with Tough Love he uses Andrea Du Cane top Russian and D C Maxwell top USA female kb to demonstrate exercises.
18 exercises are shown. He incorporates breathing techniques, on a couple the girls stand on boxes to get deeper, but I just cupped kb in my hands so knuckles touched the floor -after a few goes lol
He doesn't do the reps with you, just teaches you correct form, so you can set your own reps and routines.
He is Russian, very dry sense of humour, no music, no gimmicks
I watched in awe when after working through each exercise laying on the floor knackered lol there are some clips of him doing some strength moves he is amazing.
For some fantastic coaching I would recommend this one, there are other cheaper DVDs that may do this, but if you want to get taught by the best, go for it

Definitely on my wishlist. Where did you get it from? I can only find the book on amazon :sigh:

You youngsters are so quick lol, yes I was just about to paste it in :)

Thanks. Thats the one. Think I might save up & get the dvd & the book for reference :D.

Right I'm off to torture hubby with a kettlebell :8855::8855::8855:

Lol let us know how he gets on :)

Hi hoping, sorry I missed your post. The first couple of times I just practiced each exercise, only pausing if I hadn't got it by the next one. On some you will get more than stated reps I.e power breathing, on others like the Turkish get up I don't think I got one on each side before it moved on, so paused it to get a few in.
Don't worry about reps right now just do each one and get familiar with it :)

Well he managed 1 set & then said that it wasnt his cup of tea & he would stick to the crosstrainer!!! :D He did say that he would never laugh or keep me going again now he realised how tough it was!!! I have to admit that week 3 resistance was a bit of a toughy though it might be because I went out for a run earlier too. By the time I finished I did actually feel sick so maybe doing the 2 on the one day was pushing it a bit :eek:

Hoping good to hear you started, it will take a couple of goes to get the feel of it, then you will be off :)
I will be doing it tomorrow

Sweet, hope your ok. Had you eaten
Hubby couldn't handle it lol at least he had a try and will be a lot more respectful of the bells :)

Hoping good to hear you started, it will take a couple of goes to get the feel of it, then you will be off :)
I will be doing it tomorrow

Sweet, hope your ok. Had you eaten
Hubby couldn't handle it lol at least he had a try and will be a lot more respectful of the bells :)

I had eaten about 1 1/2 hours beforehand & had a stirfry so it wasnt a heavy meal. Hubby is definitely more respectful of the bells after giving them a go. I dont think he realised how tough they could be... & that was after he dropped to the 2kg!!!! lol

Uh oh I'm starting to wonder if the 5kg bell I just ordered will be too heavy now after reading some posts lol eek !

Wow I am inspired!!

I have the kettleworx set with the 5lb kettlebell gathering dust for over a year, I am now going to restart this on Monday.

A query though, is the 5lb kettlebell too light for getting results? When I first started this last year it was fine using this but realise I will have to go heaver eventually. Noticed on the kettleworx site that the next weight up is 10lb. Is this too big a difference?

Welcome abroad Vixs!!! You could start off with 5lb and then progress to a heavier one.

Sweet: pleased hubbie had a go, he certainly won't be laughing at you anymore.
I know what you mean about struggling to do the workout after a run. I did exactly the same yesterday. I did my run and then went straight onto kettleworx and did week 4 cardio. What a struggle!! I won't be doing that again! :)

Hi Sweet, hope your feeling ok today. your meal would have had plenty of time to go down, so perhaps as Shazz had the same problem, it might be too much to do two full routines on the same day.

Hi eatwell I am glad your enjoying and i know sarah will get some good results for you

Foodfairy, 5 kg will be tough on some, but if yu went to alower weight, it wouldnt be long before your 5 would be wanted. it is always difficult to determine a good weight, as this will depend on current fitness level. I started from nothing straight onto a 4.5 (kettleworx 10lb) and the first few attempts were quite shaky, but your strength builds very rapidly so you end being able to do more and more each session

Vixs - welcome, get that set dusted off and get swinging :) Did you complete it when you first got it?
My opinion is that if you want to see results you do need to feel it at the end of each rep. I think a light weight is good to learn the moves etc, but would encourage to get heavier as soon as able - both physically and financialy - Shazz posted that 5kgs are on sale in Argos for £5, so a perfect opportunity to get one while very cheap and work towards using it.

Shazz week 4 :) your zooming through it, keep it up :)

Gettingfit - i cant wait for your dvds to arrive as well lol

Thanks for the advice ladies, I'll see how I get on with the 5kg and if I find myself struggling I can always nip down to sports shop (we have loads around here) and get a lower weight.

I'm gutted today, was supposed to be doing Race For Life but with the bronchitis I can't do it boo! Stuck at home when I want to be and about!

Well just ordered a 10kg so will get that in a couple of days, and will start using it on the swings etc, not sure if i will cope with windmills etc lol but going to give it a good go :)

foodfairy - hope you feel better soon :)

Comrade hoping :)
I have just worked through Pavel and have listed reps. I think I havent missed one, but let me know if I have

rocking squat - I do not have a step/box so do these from the floor, i did 20 (could do more but pacing myself), P says to start low reps 10, but you can work up to 100s

good morning stretch aim to do 20-30 with a few 1" pumps every 10 reps, build up your reps

Swing again p says work up to 100s, aim for 30 double hand, and 30 each hand

1 legged deadlift - hold one bell with both hands P says do 5 reps, I do 10 each side

1 arm deadlift - P says 5 each side, i usually do 10+

Power breathing/crunch - P say 5 of each position, i tend to do a few more

Clean - aim for 20 each side

Front squat - aim for 20 (i dont have a box so do it as low as i can as demonstrated)

Overhead squat - P says do 5 each side, i do it without the box (follow DC) I do 10

Clean and Military press - P says 5 each side, I do 15

Turkish Get Up - I do 7 each side

Snatch - be careful with this one, i banged my arms so many times :) 10 reps each side then build up, do the combo drill only once you get the hang of the snatch, you can work up to 100s

Windmill - P says 5 for each position - I love these and tend to do about 15 each position
Bottem Up Clean - be careful, let the bell rest on your forearm from clean position before doing the press - 5 - 10 reps

Rolling Sit up - need to wedge your ankles - partner, under a couch - 10 each way

dragon walk - I have only a small space so can only fit about 3 steps, just turnaround and keep doing them aim for 20

For all the slow exercises, develop your form, you do not need to do loads, so try them out and up the reps as you feel comfortable

Once you get the hang of them, pick some out and then aim to move from one exercise to another with a good set of reps and form

i hope this helps, but please ask if have omitted something or you need further clarification.
When I get my 10 i will be using Pavel to build up my use of it

Vixs - welcome, get that set dusted off and get swinging :) Did you complete it when you first got it?
My opinion is that if you want to see results you do need to feel it at the end of each rep. I think a light weight is good to learn the moves etc, but would encourage to get heavier as soon as able - both physically and financialy - Shazz posted that 5kgs are on sale in Argos for £5, so a perfect opportunity to get one while very cheap and work towards using it.

I only managed just over a week the last time for some reason. I will start with the 5lb one that I got with the package. What's the 5kg in lbs? I'm only used to working in lbs.

Back