Secret to shaping up

:) I don't know about getting his eyes checked he seemed to be checking you out ;)

Thanx Alex

Shazz, I cant believe that we only have 2 weeks left!!! Feels no time since we started. My plan is to restart & work through it again with a heavier bell. Might even get a daddy bell depending on how I get on over the next 2 weeks. I think I want to do another 6 weeks with a heavier bell before I move on & get the advanced ones though.

I REALLY want the From Russia with Tough Love DVD to practise my form too so thats on my wishlist too.

Hoping, amazing inch loss & all well deserved. I was exhausted just reading what all you do!!!!

Gettingfitat50, I'm sure your hubbys eye sight is fine ;)

Kron, hope you survived your workout with Pavel & youre not suffering too much tomorrow. Hope your cheek is ok too. I very nearly whacked my chin again so will have to be very careful in future.

I was away working today so am not long home so other than setting up & dismantling a trade stand & carrying lots of heavy boxes I havent done any exercise today. Hoping to do week 4 resistance tomorrow though

Hi Alex, just had a chance to check this out - those swings push ups look like a killer lol
I have some Lauren brooks dvds on my wish list on amazon

Youtube is great, just been having a look through, so many good kb examples given, came across a gymnast Katerina Pisetsky showing some moves omg do not try this at home lol
‪Kettlebell Dance Performed by Katerina Pisetsky‬‏ - YouTube check out the top corner of the vid where she is doing some moves

Kron - thanks so much for starting this thread and all the advice and inspiration on it - and Sweet Pink - for directing me here. I've just read the whole thing (Sunday morning just gone!) and have just ordered the kettleworx dvd set (although it seems it's not going to arrive until nearly next weekend when I'm working, so won't be working out). In the meantime, I have a date with some reserved kettlebells at Argos.

Until the others arrive, Kron, are there any particular online youtube videos that you would recommend on technique to make sure that I'm starting out right? I've had a frozen shoulder in the past year and have been working with weights machines at the gym to get stronger (which should also prevent it happening again) - so am going to be very careful to start with light weights.

Gettingfit lol me neither, I saw one of her doing swings then kicking her leg straight up next to her head

Greenwichgirl, welcome, glad you enjoyed :)
Check out post number 178, this lists the basic moves with suggested reps to work towards.
Strength training will build your muscle, but just watch yourself on that shoulder. I had an accident which gave me a back injury which resulted in me being in a lot of pain, and barely able to move plus gaining a huge amount of weight , and now my back is so much stronger, i rarely get pain anymore and can now do normal everyday things that i couldnt do. Theres a chap at class who has a shoulder injury and he says that it is getting better and stronger each week, he drops to a lighter weight when working that shoulder i.e. shoulder presses. Have fun, and if you have any questions, please post

oh the girl in that video is awsome! very flexible lol.

i watched my dvd today to see what i was in for and i have to say the exercises dont seem too difficult! all straightforward and no twisting my body into god knows what shapes like some exercise routines lol. i think im going to love my kettlebells!! roll on tomorrow :)

just a quick Q, am i ok to do my cardio and bells at different times of the day or does 1 have to follow the other straight away?

Kron thank you for the exercises.. I have another question (sorry :) can I do the kettleworxs works programme 6 days a week with 1 rest day or do you think it should just be the 3?

Hi foodfairy you can do your exercise routines together or separatley which ever suits you. Sweet and Shazz do other exercise with kb so they may be able to let you know, tho they are doing a different kb routine.

Hollie the kettleworx programme aims to give quick results in a short workout = 1 hour per week. That is not to say you cannot do them more frequently, i worked up and started using them every other day. I would recommend alternate days especially to start, you will have to judge whether you can do them daily. Muscle needs time to 'repair' and it is written to have a day off in between, i will throw in some freestyle moves on my off day, just slow moves. Keep safe, and listen to your body :)

Thanks kron, will try it every other day and see how I get on. I'm starting couch to 5k tomorrow as back in work in 10 weeks after being off on maternity leave! Have to get fit lol :)

thanks kron :)

I DID IT!!! woke up half an hour early this morning and thought rather than just lie here i'll get up and do the dvd :D

it wasnt as easy as i thought and i'll have to work on my form but it made me get a sweat on and i DID use the 5kg bell woohoo!!

i was surprised when the workout was over though i did routines 1 & 2 and with them including the warm up and cool down it was only about 15 mins in total i was like oh! its finished! lol

I'm looking at doing kettlebells and just have a few questions. Sorry if they've been asked before but I got to page 13 of this thread then got bored of reading!

First I'm looking at doing something that will increase my upper body strength. I'm already working on my CV with Couch 2 10k however I start paramedic training in September so will have to carry people up and down stairs so need work on my strength. I don't want to join and a gym but want something I can do at home and works. Will kettlebells help with this?

As said I already do couch 2 10k which I do on the days where I have bigger breaks between shifts so would want to do the kettle bells on the days with shorter breaks. Do you end up sweating loads at the end of a kettle bells workout?

I've been looking at the kettleworx to start me off with kettle bells as I like the idea of a 6 week program. However, I'm torn between getting the essentials package (£56 inc p&p) and then having to buy a kettle bell on top or getting the ultra inc 10lb bell (£92.50 inc p&p). I like the ultra as it has more area specific work outs including arms and shoulders which I need extra work on but not sure if its worth the extra money, especially as I don't have much! What do you all think?

I'm looking at doing kettlebells and just have a few questions. Sorry if they've been asked before but I got to page 13 of this thread then got bored of reading!

First I'm looking at doing something that will increase my upper body strength. I'm already working on my CV with Couch 2 10k however I start paramedic training in September so will have to carry people up and down stairs so need work on my strength. I don't want to join and a gym but want something I can do at home and works. Will kettlebells help with this?

As said I already do couch 2 10k which I do on the days where I have bigger breaks between shifts so would want to do the kettle bells on the days with shorter breaks. Do you end up sweating loads at the end of a kettle bells workout?

I've been looking at the kettleworx to start me off with kettle bells as I like the idea of a 6 week program. However, I'm torn between getting the essentials package (£56 inc p&p) and then having to buy a kettle bell on top or getting the ultra inc 10lb bell (£92.50 inc p&p). I like the ultra as it has more area specific work outs including arms and shoulders which I need extra work on but not sure if its worth the extra money, especially as I don't have much! What do you all think?

Hi Cherry blossom, great to see you over here. Kettlebells will definitely improve your strength but also get your cardio going too. Because the kettleworx workouts are short there is a lot squeezed into the 20 minutes that will really work you up into a sweat (particularly on a cardio session)

I just went for the essentials package as I already was running 3 times a week so fancied something to do on the other 3 days & then have 1 day off (thats the plan most weeks anyway!!!) Kron would probably be better to answer this as I think she has the ultra package but I think that the 3 workouts (core, cardio, resistance) cover all areas so well that I find that the other discs (I got the fast fat burn & fast abs) are really more of a bonus workout which I sometimes do on my running days though most days I prefer to just have a 'play' & practise my form on new moves or pnes I found difficult during the programme as its very fast moving. I probably havent explained that as well as I could but I hope you get the drift of what I mean.

oh the girl in that video is awsome! very flexible lol.

i watched my dvd today to see what i was in for and i have to say the exercises dont seem too difficult! all straightforward and no twisting my body into god knows what shapes like some exercise routines lol. i think im going to love my kettlebells!! roll on tomorrow :)

just a quick Q, am i ok to do my cardio and bells at different times of the day or does 1 have to follow the other straight away?

I tend to do my cardio (jogging) 3 days a week (usually monday, wednesday & friday) & kettleworx 3 days a week (tuesday, thursday, saturday) On my jogging days though I tend to practise moves & have a bit of a play with my kettlebells but I tend to do that in the morning or afternoon & go jogging in the evening. With me its more down to having noone to look after the kids until evening time to go out for a jog & kettlebells are something I can do when they are out in the garden having a play etc so its more down to personal choice with me.

Hi Hollie - you will be fit before you know it :) Good luck with your couch to 5k, I understand its hard at first but you soon get into it. Sweet tends to do kbs and jogging on alternate days, so it looks like a good way to improve your stamina and get the inch loss.

Foodfairy - great to hear you started and using your 5 :) good to start doing just a couple of the routines to get used to it, and then you can build it up

Gettingfit :) Glad you enjoyed your first kettleworx workout, we do like core ;) Your 4 came really quickly. Good luck for Wednesday, I found cardio quite challenging. Hope your lie down in the garden helped you recover

Hi Cherryblossom Fantastic your starting paramedics training, hopefully it will be a very rewarding role.
Kettlebells work by increasing your core strength, giving you a greater ability to power through, so yes they will be very helpful in giving you the strength you need, and yes you will sweat esp on the cardio workouts :) You will find the ultra gives you specific body part routines, which I didnt use that much tbh. The body part routines takes the moves you have in the 6 week programme and condenses them into a short routine. If you are interested in this one area - arms & shoulders, I will happliy list the moves from my dvd which you can then incorporate into your schedule. The weight you use will also have an impact on how fast you progress, so I would suggest starting at 5kg as a minimum if able to. There are a number of different exercises that can be done, so a google search can throw up some additional moves for specific body parts once you have the hang of them. I am able to lift alot more, and hold hubby down for submission - the only way i used to be able to do that before kbs was to sit on him lol

Hi sweet, hope you had a good weekend, and recovered from your trade show - i have done these in the past, and it was a lot of work loading, unloading and setting up so I think you should count it as a workout :)

Goodnight hun. Sleep well. I know you did well today. Keep it up. :wave_cry:

Kron, I was having a bit of a play with the kettlebells today & was having a nosey on you tube. I watched the trailer to Pavel's From Russia with Tough Love & saw a fantastic ab move where someone holds your feet & you hold the kettlebell to your chest & rather than up & down like a normal sit up you circle round without actually lying back & touching the ground. I know I havent explained it very well but I thought it looked amazing & thought I would see if I could do it & was wondering what it was called?? I tried it when hubby got home & surprised myself by managing it which just goes to show how effective kettlebells are!!! :eek:

Hi Gettingfit hope you feel ok in the morning, Mondays are yuck lol

Sweet I know the move, but have no idea what it's called so running upstairs to find out ........... It's called a rolling sit up :)

Just got back from class, my shoulders and upper arms are knackered lol that play with my 10 has seriously affected them
Hubby was doing kettleworx when I got home - using my 10 as I had taken the 8 omg he was grumbling lol and he's a steel worker!

Thanks Kron. Going to try to do a few of them everyday too. I like to try to do 10 windmills & 10 hip hop crunches everyday along with a mix of other moves but am determined that this time next year I WILL have killer abs!!!! lol

Sweet, I would recommend these :) keep abs tight, I really noticed a difference, they may work for you
Try with low weight bell for practice if needed. I have suggested reps, but listen to your body. Make sure you have had a quick warm up - a few swings, squats, presses.

Woodchop - do not over extend, the bell should float in the air at the top of the swing, will take some practice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGS7G6MOkjM
10 - 12 reps each side to start - build reps up quickly
weight - start light, then increase

Side bends
stand bell in right hand, left arm bent fingers touching side of head (a low salute), keep hips straight and still, lean to the left as far as you can then back to start - no further as this provides control and stops momentum
10 - 12 reps each side
heavy bell, slow movement

Side bend press
Hold bell in clean position at shoulder, as you do the above side bend press bell straight up, pull down as you move straight

Russian Twist - check out the tips and warnings at the bottem of the page
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4681723_do-russian-twist-kettlebell.html
24 reps
light bell

Windmill variations
Start with the basic windmill position and keep eyes on the up hand. Use your muscle in butt and hip to lower and raise your upper body - stick that hip out and fold down
1. Bell in lower hand moving down to the ground and back up
2. a bell in each hand
5 - 10 reps each side
heavy

Back