Secret to shaping up

I am so interested in having a go with kettlebells, however am not very fit and have masses of weight to lose..... what would you suggest if I could not manage a full session from a dvd (also they tend to go to fast for me), would it be better to select a few kettlebell exercises from the internet to try firstly, and move at a steady pace until I could transfer across to using a DVD and moving at a faster speed?

Hi Spangle - I really wouldn't worry about managing a full session on the DVD. You can stop and take as many breathers as you need - believe me, I took a lot when I first started and still take them now, although not as frequently.

I hadn't done any exercise for over 10 years and had a higher BMI than yourself when I started KW. As the sessions last 20 minutes with an additional warm up and cool down, I found it very manageable. I am not the sort of person that does lots of jumping around - huge boobs rule that out! :D - so this was the perfect compromise.

You don't need much to get started. I would have a look at the KW website, there's plenty of general kettlebell tutorials on Youtube - Kron posted links to some of them near the beginning of this thread which I found very helpful and used whilst I was waiting for my KW dvds to arrive. If you have Sky then on the fitness channel most days you can catch an infomercial on KW. Its quite cheesy but does give you an idea on the format.

Please don't be put off my having lots of weight to lose. There's been nothing on the dvds which I haven't been able to have a go at - even if I've not totally mastered the move first time. You'd be surprised how quickly your stamina will build up.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. x

Right ladies I mentioned this to my BF, and she has given me her copy that she got from a friend..

It is the kettleworx program but Im confused because of the way it is, it doesnt have a dvd menu like the 'proper' copy. I have the essential one which has 4 different 20 min excercises.. broke up into different parts of the body. And I have a second dvd which is the ultra? This one is broken up into core and resistence for 6 week programs. So it seems to be missing the cardio one and I wasn't sure if this is the one you are meant to follow. Ie, core, cardio, resistence Wk1, Wk2 etc

I'm totally confused lol Think I'll just need to buy the proper copy because I don't know where to start.

Hi Joanne - what you need is the 3 separate dvds - Core, Cardio and Resistance. These have 6 sessions on each so together they provide the 18 workouts which make up the 6 week programme.

The Advanced range are the next ones up if you like and are Core II, Cardio II etc.

Not sure what the essential one is. KW has a range of four dvds which target specific areas of the body - but these are not the 6 week programme.

If you have a look on the KW website you will see everything listed and should help you see what dvds you have.

Have you got a bell so you can have a go and see what you think?

Day1 done!!!

Hiya. Well done. Are you using the KW programme? What did you do and what size bell are you using? Did you get on ok? So many questions!! :D

Cat Lover Sue said:
Hiya. Well done. Are you using the KW programme? What did you do and what size bell are you using? Did you get on ok? So many questions!! :D

Hiya, im using a 4kg one that work gave me. My sister gave me the level 2 core, resistance and cadio so started with core. So week1day1 done :)

Hiya, im using a 4kg one that work gave me. My sister gave me the level 2 core, resistance and cadio so started with core. So week1day1 done :)

Hi - starting on the Advanced dvds, impressed! I assume you had a good level of fitness prior to this? Good to get a free bell. If you do need to move up then Tesco have good ones - cast iron - 5kg and 7.5kg.

Yer i zumba everyday and nearly completed 30day shred till i got shin splints.
Luckily work have said i can swap it for a bigger one when i want to!!!
I had an op on my shoulder last year so dont want to do too much yet. X

lilprincessvic said:
Day1 done!!!

Woohoo well done lilprincessvic :)

Just done week 1 cardio..... OMG I had forgotten how hard it was, fortunately I seem to remember this was the hardest one for some reason.
At least I have cardio out of the way for this week!!!

Hubby just said to me " oh my god look at you" I'm drenched in sweat and I had to have a mini rest..... Wanted to hit him with my bell :)

Hello! I am loving this thread! :D

I was lurking here last night and ended up ordering the 5kg kettlebell from Tesco plus a DVD from ebay - Absolute Beginners Fitness: 3-in-1 Kettlebell by Amy Bento. Anyone tried this one?

I have creaky knees, a dodgy achilles tendon and chronic lazyitis. Hoping to enjoy this and tone up since losing 60 pounds on SW. This thread is so inspiring, thank you!

Well i've just redone wk1 cardio!!!! Lol no i'm not a nutter, but I had already started round 2 when my SIL decided to do it with me so have now done the whole of wk1 twice!!!
Am really struggling with the larger weight and i don't have the option to switch down now as SIL is using the 5kg, will i improve quickly as am quite worried about my form especially the thought of straining my back... x

Hello! I am loving this thread! :D

I was lurking here last night and ended up ordering the 5kg kettlebell from Tesco plus a DVD from ebay - Absolute Beginners Fitness: 3-in-1 Kettlebell by Amy Bento. Anyone tried this one?

I have creaky knees, a dodgy achilles tendon and chronic lazyitis. Hoping to enjoy this and tone up since losing 60 pounds on SW. This thread is so inspiring, thank you!

Welcome! You're gonna fit right in, chuck! :D

Kron's done loads of the kb dvds so she might have come across this one.

Well i've just redone wk1 cardio!!!! Lol no i'm not a nutter, but I had already started round 2 when my SIL decided to do it with me so have now done the whole of wk1 twice!!!
Am really struggling with the larger weight and i don't have the option to switch down now as SIL is using the 5kg, will i improve quickly as am quite worried about my form especially the thought of straining my back... x

Jeez Donzy, talk about punishment! How did your SIL find it?

I know what you mean with the 7.5kg bell. Luckily I can swap down to my 5kg. Have ordered a 15lb bell from KW - which is 6.8kg. Thought this would be a good in between bell for the punches and gunslingers where I'm struggling with the 7.5kg. Hope to give it a whirl in the next week or so once its arrived.

This is the best thread on minimins, in my humble opinion!

Helo all, my work have lent me some kettlebells (perks of working in a school!!) I am going to start tonight with them. I really need to shape up.

Wish my school had Kettlebells I could borrow!!! In fact I'd have all the kids swinging away lol Good luck!

Well I did cardio wk1 sat completing the week1 trio and did the 10 min fast abs yesterday all with the 6kg so happy with my first week. Having a night off tonight but am thinking of buying some metal bells as my plastic York ones are really bulky. Any recommendations?

The maximuscle ones from Argos are really good stella, they have a nice wide handle :) Although they are not very pretty but I love mine :)

Wow, just been reading back and lots of new people coming on board :) Get your cameras and tape measures out folk, we like photos and inch losses on here :) Keeps up motivation and keeps us swinging.

BF is hogging the tv tonight, playing his playstation, wish he would bugger off so I could get res wk2 round 2 done!!!:p

Cleogin - I did wk1 cardio r2 last week and it was so tough!!! It really is a killer, I couldn't walk properly for days after lol thats what a weeks holiday does :) Will look forward to hearing your inch loss this time :)

Hi Joanne - what you need is the 3 separate dvds - Core, Cardio and Resistance. These have 6 sessions on each so together they provide the 18 workouts which make up the 6 week programme.

The Advanced range are the next ones up if you like and are Core II, Cardio II etc.

Not sure what the essential one is. KW has a range of four dvds which target specific areas of the body - but these are not the 6 week programme.

If you have a look on the KW website you will see everything listed and should help you see what dvds you have.

Have you got a bell so you can have a go and see what you think?

Planning on getting one this weekend - think im just going to buy the set.

The way this dvd is set out is confusing me! Thank you x

Week 2 round 2 resistance done :) Offt I am sweating buckets :) Lots of balancing in res2 which i'm RUBBISH at lol

I dont use any DVD (I use the gyms KB) and worked out a three cycle routine for the next few weeks -

Session 1
Halo
Lunge and press
Step and swing
Fig 8 to hold
Fig 8
Pistols
Squat
TGU
Military Press
Thruster
Alt Arm Swing
Session 2
Contract hold
Arm swing
Slingshot
Tree Press
Windmill
Gladiator press up
Bent press
Crush
Hammer curl
21 crush curl
Shoulder Press
Crucifix press
Overhead extension
Woodchop
Front raise
Upright row
Power 2 people
Wrist curl
Janda sit up
Single leg row
Pullover
Bicep gunslinger
Russian twist
Session 3
Elbow raise
Yield raise
Sit up
Bottom up press
Sots Press
Floor press
Tactical lunge
Waiter Press
Flip
Clean and Press
Snatch
One arm split snatch
Squat above head
Single leg deadlift

I think Ive managed to get 48 exercises, no repeats. What I'm going to do is vary between 3 sets of 15 rep week 1, and a straight 45 reps the following week. I'm definately finding my knee (got a ligament problem) responds to this type of session better than a straight heavy weights session. Im hoping it will kill a lot of calories....

Back