Secret to shaping up

I'm actually jealous that you guys are doing it lol. I'm lying on my couch feeling sorry for myself. Thanks chick :)

Only nice thing is that the OH has the rugby on.. phwoar ;) xx

Donzy84 said:
Wk 2 Resistance done. Really love resistance!!!

OMG forgot to say i bashed my shin with the 7.5kg the other day!!! it kills!!!! i've a massive bruise as well!!! x

I love resistance too. :)

Woke up this morning and the knee problems seemed to have got worse, only been about 3-4 weeks of it (started before I joined sw ect) so instead of resting something that aint fixing i'm going to go ahead and do week1 level 2 tonight and just go slow with pressure on my left leg. wish me luck x

Cassy good luck! When doing any bent leg moves squeeze your butt and thighs so your not putting pressure your knee joint, try and imagine its a loose hinge and your leg and butt muscles are keeping you stable - not sure if that makes sense? if any move is hurting badly, stop it and wait for the next one! Really impressed with your determination to get going x

Susie great news! I am sure you will feel the difference when you start using it :)

I have just finished my first ever kettlebell workout and am still alive to tell the tale :D

I cut my nails, measured my vitals and got a bottle of water. Think I will need more than one bottle next time as I was Sweaty Betty! :eek:

I really enjoyed it. Did the tutorial then the beginners level (20 minute) workout. The Amy Bento DVD is for newbies. She is lovely and not scary at all. I am buzzing! :bunnydance:

Will see how knackered I am tomorrow before scheduling my next workout. When my 5kg Tesco bell arrived, I was shocked it was so heavy and reckoned I would never be able lift it above my head. Then I worked out that I used to carry 5-and-a-half of these bells about as lard every day so must be able to manage it. I was right! :D

Afternoon lovely Swingers - well Round 2, Wk4 Cardio done this morning. Forgot this was the one with the 4 (yes 4) kettlebell holds (the one where you squat and hold the bell out in front of you)! Proud to say I managed to do them all with my super duper new 15lb bell. My arms were juddering on the last one and my teeth were very firmly gritted! Buying the inbetweenie bell was a really good idea as it means I can leave behind my 5kg bell.

Managed the entire cardio workout with my 7.5kg and then the 15lb one (about 6.8kg) on the one armed swings, squat press and the front hold mentioned above. Can't half feel it in my arms and shoulders now! :)

I even introduced some freestyle moves when the 2nd set of mountain climbers came on. I thought balls to that and stayed on the floor and did some windscreen wipers instead! So shoot me Ryan!!

Catch you all later. xxx

Silly sausage congrats on your entry to the swinging club :) wow great achievement in shifting those lbs, the bells can seem heavy gosh can't imagine having over 5 5kgs strapped to me, altho I used to carry more than that in weight! Sounds like you enjoyed Amy, so keep up the good work, and let's see those inches melt away :)

Susie wait til you start swinging your 5 lol

Sue I cannot wait to see round 2 photos and inch loss, sounds like your getting on fantastically and your new bell is fitting in perfectly. Get Mr Sue to give your shoulders a rub, you deserve it :)

For the girls with the knee and joint problems. Are you better maybe buying knee supports? My OH is a bodybuilder and thats what he uses for lifting weights.

For the girls with the knee and joint problems. Are you better maybe buying knee supports? My OH is a bodybuilder and thats what he uses for lifting weights.

Thats never actually crossed my mind :eek: I'm going to look into that, thankyou! x

Thankyou for the advice Kron it was very helpful having a plan to get round the knee problem, just done core week 1 and my god 10 minutes after I was flaked out on the carpet like jesus! it was exhausting.
The only problem I've found is the kettlebell is hard work, being my first and a 7.5 I cant do the Disco ball move, my hands shake really bad and i feel like my arm is going to snap if I bend down to my ankle so I just went to my knee.
By the 3rd set I couldnt do it so great (I was already tired by mid 1st set!)

All in all I think I did well, it was about 25 mins long and I usually cant do more then 15 doing other intense workouts :)

The disco ball is now one of my fav moves and I remember so well being in the exact same place you are now. Bending to your knee is fine. It will start to feel more natural after a couple of sessions. It's like a balancing act when your arm is overhead and you bend down, you will get the knack of it. Tip is to hold your belly tight as that will help support your core. Imagine a muscle attached to the side of your ribs, going down the side of your hip to the side of mid thigh, and that's what is lowering you down and pulling you up. Keep your eyes on the bell helps with balance. Last night I did this move for the first time with a 12kg and felt the exact same way, but not for long :)

Glad im not alone then Kron, on the first set I couldnt do anything with the disco ball but the second I did the knee one but by the third I was too tired and made my own move lol so I can see what you mean with it getting easier. I had to make my own move with the mermaid move too, laid on the floor, kettle up in the air and rise your chest and legs, that was hard so had to bend my arm and just raise my legs...by the 3rd set I could only put the kettle on the floor and push on it to raise my legs up. I'm thinking any movement will be better then anything until my strength picks up.

Thankyou for the great advice on this thread, you are a really lovely helpful person :)

Just done the fast fat burn, I must of still been tired from the core last night as I didn't have much strength but I kept up as much as possible, can't wait to be toned up :D Best of all this morning I didn't have any bad muscle pain, a little light ache but nothing major, I felt the abs tensing and my chest muscles when i woke up so it must be doing something great :D Just need to get one of those knee supports, I can barely bend my knee on a morning :)

Last edited:
After my first workout yesterday, my squatting muscles are a bit ouchy today. Upper body is ok though. I swear I felt taller walking around the shops yesterday lol - must have been all that stretching!

Going to give my thighs and bum a day to recover and will do some hula hooping today.

How different is a 'disco ball' to a windmill? I struggle with windmill more than any exercise (I have a rubbish knee which doenst help) and even contracting my core doesnt help...

Cassy had a thought (it happens sometimes lol) doing the disco ball try resting the bell on your shoulder, you still may not get past your knee, but may help with your balance, alternatively do the exact same move but have the bell in your lower hand, it works very similar muscle groups. You will find it quite difficult starting with a 7.5 but we can tweak some of the moves :) your doing really well not to be in loads of pain. Don't worry about keeping up, concentrate on form x

Silly sausage hope it's a good hurt :) I do think it helps with posture and mores after your core gets stronger. Hula hooping is fun, I got one last Christmas, it's a weighted aerobics one, but couldn't do it, spent more time picking it up off the floor lol needless to say it's been gathering dust! After my weds class a new zumba with a power hoop class recently and I had a go with the hoop, and I did it! Was right chuffed with myself lol

Martin the disco ball and the windmill are the same. Are you sticking that hip right out and folding using your obliques? Have you tried what I have just suggested to Cassy? Keep your knees locked softly and just see how far you can bend before your knee disagrees! How are you with the wood chop, it might be beneficial to complete another move instead

Just got back from class, it was really busy and all women. The second class is mainly men, think I am in the wrong class ;)

Week 6 started today. Got core out of the way. :)

Sofartogo lol and bet you can't wait for cardio :) yeah starting week 6, your nearly done!

Back