Secret to shaping up

Did my 2 cardio yesterday and yet again 24 hrs later I'm feeling it. This time it's my stomach muscles.
Funny thing is I did 30 mins on my cross trainer tonight but it was such a hard slog it felt like I couldn't move my legs properly which is really unusual for me as i really enjoy it and fly through it and get a big buzz during it. Not sure if I was tired and not sure if i should maybe leave off the cross trainer for a while as I do it the day after my kettlebell except on Sundays?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Week4 Core done :) Just dreaded Cardio now and I can tick off week 4 round 2 :)

Evening all!
Managed to do cardio week 2 yesterday and, dare I say it, I found it quite easy!
I used my 6kg for the first set and then raised it to 8kg for the second set. The only 1 I struggled with was the kettle bell hold(?). I find it hard to extend my arms out.
I am not sure if it just me but I also don't get that lovely ache the next day and I miss it.
Any advice? I assume it is my technique or something? Or maybe I need a logger workout?

Kron said:
Back from class, hubby couldn't go so had to carry both my 8 and 10, luckily parked near :) a few new moves introduced which were challenging but fun
One of the guys uses a 9, so I had a joke last week when I took my 10, well in he comes with a 12 tonight! Bright orange, very apt for today, it looked like a pumpkin lol

Lol...typical bloke. Men are so competitive! Lol

chickadee83 said:
Week4 Core done :) Just dreaded Cardio now and I can tick off week 4 round 2 :)

Well done on week 4 chick, I look forward to reaching ur level one day :0)

Hi all

Trimlee great to hear your liking it, hooked already :) core was my fav! Have fun with resistance, and swinging through kw to some great results.

Sue last day Thursday! When do we hear the results :) more leaves to sweep, do you live in a forest lol

Martin, bad news about your elbow, hope you have a speedy recovery. You smashed your run, how fantastic you must feel! Great to hear kbs can be so beneficial for other exercise, as kbs are all I do, and I know I am so much fitter, I cannot make comparisons. What a goal to set for an 8 mile x-country, your focused and working hard and you will achieve it. Dibs in for a knitted bell cozy ;)

Chick yeah got you core done, sounds like you had quite a power nap last night lol its the stoopid time change on top of a
Monday

Susie could you just have had an off day on your treadmill? You have been doing it for a while so your body should be used to it, if you normally enjoy doing it then keep it going unless your finding it a struggle. You may want to reduce the time for a short while and see how you get on. Hope you found week 2 cardio better than week 1 :)

Mama your time with your PT has definitely paid off, your a lot fitter than you probably thought, this can result in no aches, I rarely ache except when I move up in weight. Use your 8 throughout, swapping down for hold moves, you will know the moves that need a lower weight. Altho your not hurting, doesn't mean your not working muscle groups and getting results, you could add one of the other DVD workouts at the end if you wish to workout for a longer period. If you want to ache, you may need a heavier bell

Kron said:
Hi all

Trimlee great to hear your liking it, hooked already :) core was my fav! Have fun with resistance, and swinging through kw to some great results.

Sue last day Thursday! When do we hear the results :) more leaves to sweep, do you live in a forest lol

Martin, bad news about your elbow, hope you have a speedy recovery. You smashed your run, how fantastic you must feel! Great to hear kbs can be so beneficial for other exercise, as kbs are all I do, and I know I am so much fitter, I cannot make comparisons. What a goal to set for an 8 mile x-country, your focused and working hard and you will achieve it. Dibs in for a knitted bell cozy ;)

Chick yeah got you core done, sounds like you had quite a power nap last night lol its the stoopid time change on top of a
Monday

Susie could you just have had an off day on your treadmill? You have been doing it for a while so your body should be used to it, if you normally enjoy doing it then keep it going unless your finding it a struggle. You may want to reduce the time for a short while and see how you get on. Hope you found week 2 cardio better than week 1 :)

Mama your time with your PT has definitely paid off, your a lot fitter than you probably thought, this can result in no aches, I rarely ache except when I move up in weight. Use your 8 throughout, swapping down for hold moves, you will know the moves that need a lower weight. Altho your not hurting, doesn't mean your not working muscle groups and getting results, you could add one of the other DVD workouts at the end if you wish to workout for a longer period. If you want to ache, you may need a heavier bell

I am? Tar Kron!
Wanting to ache sounds a bit mental doesn't it? I just love that feeling though; do you know what I mean? (arry...lol)

Ok, will try doing both sets with the 8kg and see how I get on.

I saw my osteopath today regarding my ankle and she said ive aggravated a ligament. said it'll take up to 8weeks to heal :0(
She also said that she went to a seminar and a leading osteopath showed a picture of his brand new porsche and then, to show how he paid for it, showed a picture of a kettlebell! The point was that, due to poor swinging technique, people are damaging discs etc. I guess that's a lesson to us all to keep focused on technique.

It's all about sensible swinging!

I know what you mean! Feel cheated if your not a bit achy, and it is a great feeling :) bad news about your ankle. All exercise carries a risk of injury, knees in running, etc, so form is key to keeping safe, are you able to continue?

Kron - ha ha. Don't live in a forest although very close to a wood which has deer in and everything! We often get deer walking down the road and round the garden just to have a nosey. We have a couple of trees in the garden and its a thankless job at this time of year with the leaves.

Loving the thought of Martin taking orders for bell cosys! :)

Hope to coax Mr Sue and his tape measure into action Friday night but might have to wait until Saturday. Depends how knackered he is at the end of the week!

Kron said:
I know what you mean! Feel cheated if your not a bit achy, and it is a great feeling :) bad news about your ankle. All exercise carries a risk of injury, knees in running, etc, so form is key to keeping safe, are you able to continue?

Yeah, she said I can keep going so I am happy. Injuries suck!

Kron - ha ha. Don't live in a forest although very close to a wood which has deer in and everything! We often get deer walking down the road and round the garden just to have a nosey. We have a couple of trees in the garden and its a thankless job at this time of year with the leaves.

Loving the thought of Martin taking orders for bell cosys! :)

Hope to coax Mr Sue and his tape measure into action Friday night but might have to wait until Saturday. Depends how knackered he is at the end of the week!

Im knitting some kettlebell covers now. Pink ones for 16kg weights.

Later Im going to be a black belt in sugarcraft and make some cup cakes (12kg version) ideal for shoulder press etc..,

Is a bell cosy like a diving bell used underwater but with more holes????

Sorry guys still havent got back on the horse but my troubles are finally over, had my day in family court and managed to get a good result with my ex partner so I'm relieved its over and can work on my diet and swinging again. I've even had a good comment from him and his gf about my weight loss so it's got me back in the mood to really do well now, hope to start again tomorrow (after weigh in :(), wish me luck!

Cassy said:
Sorry guys still havent got back on the horse but my troubles are finally over, had my day in family court and managed to get a good result with my ex partner so I'm relieved its over and can work on my diet and swinging again. I've even had a good comment from him and his gf about my weight loss so it's got me back in the mood to really do well now, hope to start again tomorrow (after weigh in :(), wish me luck!

Hi cassy
Good luck For tomorrow!!! Glad to hear ur troubles are passing. Well done for the weight loss too. Exercise will do nothing but make u feel better so use it as ur crutch where u can. Chin up x

Morning all!!!
Just completed resistance week 2. I used my 8kg the whole time and it was much more challenging (thanks Kron). I mow await the ache.... Bring it on!!!

Am struggling though as Miss Mia insists on getting up at 5.30am to join in with the "hexercise".

Can I get NO time to MYSELF?!! lol

Oh the joys...

Morning all!!!
Just completed resistance week 2. I used my 8kg the whole time and it was much more challenging (thanks Kron). I mow await the ache.... Bring it on!!!

Am struggling though as Miss Mia insists on getting up at 5.30am to join in with the "hexercise".

Can I get NO time to MYSELF?!! lol

Oh the joys...

Well done MamaMia, I'm doing mine at lunch time today, looking forward to it as I like that one the best :)

Susie25 said:
Well done MamaMia, I'm doing mine at lunch time today, looking forward to it as I like that one the best :)

Am just contemplating whether I have it in me to do one of the other DVDs later on....

Go for it susie25, swing that bell for me too

Hi everyone! I commented once before on this thread but I've unfortunately neglected the diet since moving back to my old uni city (and apparently am trying to live the student lifestyle again!) but need to get back on track!

I'm not sure whether to do KB or not - I'm not fit at all! And I really want to lose ultimately 3 stone, but hoping to lose a stone by Christmas - I'm going on a ski trip with lots of uni friends on the 16th so want to be fitter and thinner by then!

So my question is - does KB help a lot with weight loss? Or is it better for after you've lost weight and want to tone up etc?

Would be really interested if a couple of you would post the results you've found since doing kb! I'm sure they are on the thread somewhere but 165 pages on my slow internet would be difficult to trawl through!!

:)

Hi everyone! I commented once before on this thread but I've unfortunately neglected the diet since moving back to my old uni city (and apparently am trying to live the student lifestyle again!) but need to get back on track!

I'm not sure whether to do KB or not - I'm not fit at all! And I really want to lose ultimately 3 stone, but hoping to lose a stone by Christmas - I'm going on a ski trip with lots of uni friends on the 16th so want to be fitter and thinner by then!

So my question is - does KB help a lot with weight loss? Or is it better for after you've lost weight and want to tone up etc?

Would be really interested if a couple of you would post the results you've found since doing kb! I'm sure they are on the thread somewhere but 165 pages on my slow internet would be difficult to trawl through!!

:)

Hi there

Firslty no exercise regime works without some dietary control. I do slimming world other diets are available.....

In terms of KB, weight based studies continue to show that versus purely aerobic exercise, people lose more weight. So you could do dumbells, barbells, lever or machine based. However, doing KB in short but intense sessions has demonstated (again in studies) to burn greater calories if done at high enough intensity. So when you see some KB based exercise DVD stating 20min session (they excluded warm up) there is a basis behind it. Because KB use predominantly compound exercises (use of multiple muscles) they burn more calories and as the centre of gravity is away from your body more than pure dumbell exercvise you need to use other core type muscles e.g swings. So you will burn calories and tone up (you wont build bulk muscle unless you overload the weight significantly).

Teh best exercise is the one you will do and preferably enjoy. KB work. Since 16th June Ive lost 40lb and my misses on same diet but no exercise has lost half that and I do mainly KB with some running/long walks.

One thing - plyometrics is great for skiing, and worth doing some of these with whatever exercise routine you choose.

MartinD said:
Hi there

Firslty no exercise regime works without some dietary control. I do slimming world other diets are available.....

In terms of KB, weight based studies continue to show that versus purely aerobic exercise, people lose more weight. So you could do dumbells, barbells, lever or machine based. However, doing KB in short but intense sessions has demonstated (again in studies) to burn greater calories if done at high enough intensity. So when you see some KB based exercise DVD stating 20min session (they excluded warm up) there is a basis behind it. Because KB use predominantly compound exercises (use of multiple muscles) they burn more calories and as the centre of gravity is away from your body more than pure dumbell exercvise you need to use other core type muscles e.g swings. So you will burn calories and tone up (you wont build bulk muscle unless you overload the weight significantly).

Teh best exercise is the one you will do and preferably enjoy. KB work. Since 16th June Ive lost 40lb and my misses on same diet but no exercise has lost half that and I do mainly KB with some running/long walks.

One thing - plyometrics is great for skiing, and worth doing some of these with whatever exercise routine you choose.

I think Martin hit the nail on the head! KB's are great but he's right that the best thing is finding something you'll enjoy and stick to.
I lost a 5% body fat doing kb (4 months) without chaining my diet, and another 5% since changing my diet (in 4+ weeks!!) so echo what Martin said fully!
I had the same questions of it, especially as it's only 20mins, but give it a go and see how I get on.

I am getting results and, more importantly, feel good about myself!
All the best x

Back