Secret to shaping up

wow this thread has been busy

Wow – 2 days since my first posts an there is 4 pages of posts – lot of catching up to do.

Thanks TOOLA-ROOLA – will look at livestrong. However I have downloaded a 2wk trial of my workout trainer which seems really good. Got no measurements to log as yet as I am waiting delivery of the Calipher to take my measurements. I have read that Caliphers take more accurate readings than tape measures. Does anyone else use them?

Hi CERES & thanks for the welcome. Congrats on your weight loss.

This is me being naive and also not reading the full 172 pages of this thread – I notice that there is a lot of mention of cardio 1, programmes etc. What are you referring to? Is this a program that you receive when you by a Kettleworx KB or is this a program that this thread has designed, if so can I get a copy in preparation for when I am able to start working out

Congrats CAT LOVER SUE on your weight and inch loss J. TGI Fridays – yum yum – used to love the chicken strip starter until I found out that there was more calories in it than in the main!!

MAMA MIA – loving the new profile pic. 5am workout, OMG I’d be a zombie at that time. When I do go back to work (probably not straight away) I would love to look at doing even just a 15 min workout before work. Lol @ Zimbabwe /Zumba. :D Re: your knees look at getting knee supports. I bought one on Ebay, paid about £5 for it and it really helps.
KRON - I followed that link to Heather – all I can say is I agree with TRIMLEE, no thanks!

Debs1972 said:
This is me being naive and also not reading the full 172 pages of this thread – I notice that there is a lot of mention of cardio 1, programmes etc. What are you referring to? Is this a program that you receive when you by a Kettleworx KB or is this a program that this thread has designed, if so can I get a copy in preparation for when I am able to start working out

Hi Debs, Kettleworx has a DVD workout which runs over 6 weeks. There are about 8 or so DVDs in the whole pack but only 3 make up the 6 week workout. These are Core, Cardio and Resistance. Each of these has 6 workouts. Most people would then do something like
Wk 1 Mon= core, Weds = resistance, Fri = cardio
Wk 2 Mon= core, Weds = resistance, Fri = cardio
Wk 3 Mon= core, Weds = resistance, Fri = cardio
Etc
Each session lasts 20 mins, and you get 18 different workouts in all.
Hope I'm making sense!
You could check the kettleworx website infomercial too.
Welcome and enjoy! :)

OK now I can walk again and the cold is nearly gone, I'm getting serious!
Decided if it's good enough for Mrs Martin D then maybe I could do the same routine at lower reps.
So I have LOADS of questions

Looking up the list the moves I will find hard are the Russian twist...there is no way I could keep my legs off the floor like that, is there a cheats way? y abs are definitely my weakest area.
The floor press looks hard too do I have to use two at a time?

Also looking at my schedule there's a week i can go to the gym 6 days a week, the following week I can only manage Monday and Tuesday and then Friday Saturday and Sunday (possibly not friday as the Gym is chocka block)
So should I do KB every time or alternate with treadmill/cycle?
I'm going to go really really slowly this time, I do not want to go through that again!

Russian Twist - always sounds like a James bond cocktail to me.... a full Russian twist is an advanced exercise. so what alternatives..

Option 1 - raise legs, slight back lean but dont round your back, engage inner thigh muscles and knees together; its a fast move exercise so be a little aggressive, keep elbows tight in and engage your core
Option 2 - keep one heel on ground, swap leg to leg
Option 3 - keep both heels on ground
Option 4 - do sidebends instead
Option 5 - do windmills

Floor Press

I presume you are asking about using two KB at a time? No a single one sided exercise is fine then swap. Good floor press really needs you to work those abdominals and keep flat on the floor.

Options - if engaging abs is a challenge then lift the leg on the side of the arm you will press over your other leg (Leg Over floor press)

Option - extended range floor press, turn and pivot your leg on the side of the arm press at 90 degrees

MartinD said:
Russian Twist - always sounds like a James bond cocktail to me.... a full Russian twist is an advanced exercise. so what alternatives..

Option 1 - raise legs, slight back lean but dont round your back, engage inner thigh muscles and knees together; its a fast move exercise so be a little aggressive, keep elbows tight in and engage your core
Option 5 - do windmills

Floor Press

I presume you are asking about using two KB at a time? No a single one sided exercise is fine then swap. Good floor press really needs you to work those abdominals and keep flat on the floor.

Options - if engaging abs is a challenge then lift the leg on the side of the arm you will press over your other leg (Leg Over floor press)

Option - extended range floor press, turn and pivot your leg on the side of the arm press at 90 degrees

I think u should make us a you tube video so we can all have a go!!!!
Do it, do it, do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

MartinD said:

Option 5 - do windmills

Floor Press

Thankyou, I wish someone would do a video for people who have no level of fitness to start with?

Hi Debs, Kettleworx has a DVD workout which runs over 6 weeks. There are about 8 or so DVDs in the whole pack but only 3 make up the 6 week workout. These are Core, Cardio and Resistance. Each of these has 6 workouts. Most people would then do something like
Wk 1 Mon= core, Weds = resistance, Fri = cardio
Wk 2 Mon= core, Weds = resistance, Fri = cardio
Wk 3 Mon= core, Weds = resistance, Fri = cardio
Etc
Each session lasts 20 mins, and you get 18 different workouts in all.
Hope I'm making sense!
You could check the kettleworx website infomercial too.
Welcome and enjoy! :)

Thanks Trimlee :)

I think u should make us a you tube video so we can all have a go!!!!
Do it, do it, do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

oh dear I dont think anybody wants to see me on youtube, that would be a horror show...

for people starting out I think a mix of exercises with and without the KB is a much better option. If I were writing a beginners programme is would be a mix of KB, isometric (e.g. Plank), plyometric (e.g. squat jumps) to get people to a good level before doing full weight sessions; your body-weight is often enough.

Still with perseverance everyone can succeed

Thankyou, I wish someone would do a video for people who have no level of fitness to start with?

There are two very good sites, with well thought thru exercise and search facilities

ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net
Bodybuilding.com - Huge Online Supplement Store & Fitness Community!

Dont be put off by them being for bodybuilders/athletes they have video clips and good technique. On bodybuilding you can search for exercises for beginners - I dont really use the site I have it as an app on my ipod and create workouts on it but its the same videos etc..,

Let me know if I can guide you any more, there are always options, and I can think thru what might work better

I'm going back to week 1, lost all motivation :p

Hi everyone :)

First time i've posted on this thread, which I came across last week. Have found this thread so inspiring and exciting.

Today I ordered my first kb and dvd. I went for Sarah Lurie Iron Core Workout 1 and a 6kg kb - think I may by overstretching myself there - literally! I kept debating between a 4kg and 6kg and in the end decided on the latter... oh well here's hoping.

Im really looking forward to starting it. I do Zumba which I love but wanted something toning, and seeing the results of kb it sounds just what I'm after.

I have my mate staying with me for the next few days, he actually works in sport and has been able to advise me a bit about kb. Unfortunately (for me) he is emigrating to Oz end of this week, but if kb arrives before he goes he's gonna show me some basic moves - he used to teach kb classes!

Im very excited about it and will let u know how it goes.... all the best everyone - its great reading about everyones excitement and achievements :):):)

Have ordered KB (10lb) and DVD's from Kettleworx, needed to justify cost so its my Xmas pressie from my OH so I suppose I won't be able to use it until January - still at least I know its on its way.

Excited, I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions.

I'm going back to week 1, lost all motivation :p

Hi Joanne

You're getting back to it so that's the main thing :) Just start where you left off :) Good luck!

Hi guys,I done resistance today just had to have a little rest during not too bad,i was more worried the fact that i was still so achy and that i would not be able to do moves,but proud i stuck it out.Hope everyone is doing ok.

I know I shouldn't have but I measured tonight.

3 weeks of kettles, kind of missed a week so its taken me 4 actual weeks. Food hasn't been great - I was 12st 11lbs when I started, lost 3lbs but gained some back but am 12st 10.5lbs tonight and.....

I have lost 4cms off my waist and 2cm from my hips! Very pleased, even though the scales don't really show it!

And I know what you mean about Kettleworx Kimberley. She's just a little too smug for me. I much prefer Tracey, the little blonde lady who wears the blue top. She's always smiling. :)

Looking forward to Fat Burn and Fast Abs tomorrow. x

There is something freaky about the blonde that smiles..seriously, how can you smile like that ALL the time while being slowly killed with kettles??!!

I know I shouldn't have but I measured tonight.

3 weeks of kettles, kind of missed a week so its taken me 4 actual weeks. Food hasn't been great - I was 12st 11lbs when I started, lost 3lbs but gained some back but am 12st 10.5lbs tonight and.....

I have lost 4cms off my waist and 2cm from my hips! Very pleased, even though the scales don't really show it!

Wow how fabulous! Well done!

Wow – 2 days since my first posts an there is 4 pages of posts – lot of catching up to do.

Thanks TOOLA-ROOLA – will look at livestrong. However I have downloaded a 2wk trial of my workout trainer which seems really good. Got no measurements to log as yet as I am waiting delivery of the Calipher to take my measurements. I have read that Caliphers take more accurate readings than tape measures. Does anyone else use them?

Hi CERES & thanks for the welcome. Congrats on your weight loss.

Congrats CAT LOVER SUE on your weight and inch loss J. TGI Fridays – yum yum – used to love the chicken strip starter until I found out that there was more calories in it than in the main!!

MAMA MIA – loving the new profile pic. 5am workout, OMG I’d be a zombie at that time. When I do go back to work (probably not straight away) I would love to look at doing even just a 15 min workout before work. Lol @ Zimbabwe /Zumba. :D Re: your knees look at getting knee supports. I bought one on Ebay, paid about £5 for it and it really helps.
KRON - I followed that link to Heather – all I can say is I agree with TRIMLEE, no thanks!

I have an app on my phone called Workout trainer. Is this the same one you are on about? I dont think it is as mine is exercises and I cant see where to track measurements, plus its free all the time unless I pay for the pro version.

I really like livestrong though I've not used it in a while as I've been on my phone rather than laptop and its too much faffing about.

Morning Swingers! Well I'm supposed to be "on a break" this week before I start Round 3 on Sunday, but I thought I'd keep my hand in and do the Fast Fat Burn and Fast Abs this week. Jeez! Sweating like a brick layers botty!! :eek:

Just got workout 3 on both to go on Thursday. The ONLY thing that's keeping me going is the thought of a pile of cheese laden nachos and a cocktail bonanza on Friday night in Glasgow! All of a sudden Wk1 Cardio doesn't seem nearly so bad! :D

Back