Secret to shaping up

Kettleworx is one version of a exercise plan - probably the most comprehensive and largest range and easy to follow

there are other DVDs - this one tho is ideal starting point.

Plenty of deals on kettlebells - when you start a set is ideal. My misses uses a 3, 5 and 7kg from a set, the vinyl type not metal.

You wont build huge muscles you will burn calories, get fitter and more toned tho. One benefit is that kettlebells can be used by total beginners and advanced. Shorter high intense exercise can burn surprisingly high amts of calories

Hi All, newbie here! Can someone explain what kettleworx is? Is it a DVD? Was thinking of getting some kettlebells - any tips on what weight I should get as I'm just starting out?

Get a set of kettlebells - dont start too high, you will be challenged.

A dvd like Kettleworx, Art of Strength, Jillian Michaels, Russian style with enter the Kettlebell all work and offer something different; its a question of preferance but avoid celebrity ones stick with proper trainers technique is key

Hi there,
This exercise sounds really good was just wondering could I get a little more info on it? I have to say I'm a very lazy person very rarely do exercise and if I do its about a 20 minute walk once a month - disaster really! I was involved in an accident a few years ago which put me out for a year and i just havent found the motivation since to get up and go.. These kettlebells sound good though as I loved lifting weights/heavy things when I was younger it made me feel ike I was really strong!! How would you suggest I go about starting this??

Thanks All, I think I'll get myself down to Aldi and pick up a 5kg and a 7.5kg weight. Someone above mentioned Jillian Michaels DVD - I didn't know she did a kettlebell one - what's the name of it? Where's the cheapest place I get the kettleworx workout DVDs from?

I did say that I'm gonna join a gym but my time is limited and I think I will be better doing exercise at home when I know I don't have to go outside the house - especially in winter with this awful weather! I do love a workout where I feel the benefits and even better if you can see the benefits quickly.

Jillian Michaels - her dvd is shred it or something. I dont use it her technique is shocking but people find it works - check out youtube for excerpts see if you like it

got my dvds from ebay or amazon - all used but much cheaper...
Thanks All, I think I'll get myself down to Aldi and pick up a 5kg and a 7.5kg weight. Someone above mentioned Jillian Michaels DVD - I didn't know she did a kettlebell one - what's the name of it? Where's the cheapest place I get the kettleworx workout DVDs from?

I did say that I'm gonna join a gym but my time is limited and I think I will be better doing exercise at home when I know I don't have to go outside the house - especially in winter with this awful weather! I do love a workout where I feel the benefits and even better if you can see the benefits quickly.

Sue I was checking for goodies at work but there was none, which for me is good, I am so easily led astray lol. The rate you are shrinking I bet by summer you will have loads more shops to be buying from!

Cleogin goog luck for Sunday and hope you manage to get a few more sessions booked, your well on your way to meeting your target :)

Picklednut you will feel and see the benefits with bells :) lots of DVDs to choose from, but I would not pick Jillian Michaels, some bad reviews on her form which could lead to injuries. Kettleworx is about £50 and available from amazon, ideal world and kettleworx.co.uk, you can sometimes get them from eBay, it's worth looking around

Thanks Kron and everyone! Kron, how long did it take you to see results when you used the kettlebells? I'm currently 11 stone 10lb and have lost around 1.5 stones on WW and am a size 14, want to get back into my size 10s as quickly as possible! Do you think a 5kg kettlebell will be heavy enough for me to start with? Also, if I have a DVD where it call for dumbbells (eg Davina McCall's and I've seen some Jillian Michaels) can you replace these with your kettlebells?

Any advice much appreciated!

Hello swingers. I'm back from my absence & raring to go again. I had a little break from minimins as I was getting soo peeved with my weightloss stalling but my plan was to carry on with the kbs which was ok for a couple of weeks until I ended up injuring my shoulder lifting some heavy boxes. Anyway I had a little play the other day & my shoulder appears to be holding up well so I'm going to start round 3. Looking forward to catching up with you all again :D

Sweet :) great to hear from you!
How's everything been going? Hope you had a great Christmas and enjoyed yourself.
Are you still running? Sorry so many questions lol

Hi Kron, I had a great Christmas... too great a Christmas as I am probably looking at a gain this week but hey what goes on must come off :eek: I havent been able to get out running since the clocks changed as its been too dark & I've noone to look after the kiddies through the day. The plan was to carry on with the KB but then I hurt my shoulder lifting boxes. It was nothing serious.. just muscular & just needed rest. Between that & the constant wall I felt like I was hitting with my weightloss it seemed a good idea to have a bit of break for a while until I felt like my head was in the right place again. I didnt go mad (apart from a week over Christmas) & it has made me realise just how much better I feel when I'm eating well & exercising. On the exercising front I'm afraid its all been housework, shopping :rolleyes: & running after the kids... not ideal but better than nothing I suppose. Really excited about getting going again though absolutely dreading week 1 cardio already!!! :eek: I'm going to start with my 5kg just to be on the safe side too.
How have things been with you??? I hear there are lots more KB converts since I have last been here!!! Did you have a nice Christmas??

I had some problems (nerves in forerarm) and got me one of these which would also work for shoulder - Thera-Band Flexible Exercise Band: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

Here are some exercises I do for shoulder - How to use a Theraband Flexbar for wrist, elbow or shoulder rehab - YouTube

Might be worth the investment its dead easy to use
Hello swingers. I'm back from my absence & raring to go again. I had a little break from minimins as I was getting soo peeved with my weightloss stalling but my plan was to carry on with the kbs which was ok for a couple of weeks until I ended up injuring my shoulder lifting some heavy boxes. Anyway I had a little play the other day & my shoulder appears to be holding up well so I'm going to start round 3. Looking forward to catching up with you all again :D

Morning everyone, hope you are all fine and dandy.

I did week 6 Core last night :D so pleased with that. Nearly time for weighing and measuring...bit nervous as some days I look in the mirror and think I look different and other days I look in the mirror and see a blob :cry:I have been very mindful of what I have been eating too and will be a bit peeved if I have nothing very positive to report x

Hello all. Since my first post I've managed to get to about page 68 on this thread and gave up :sigh: a lot to work through, but I'll try again later. I did pick up on the recommendation about the Aldi offer, but sadly my local store didn't get any in today - they reckon the deliveries are late (at least they are here) and don't expect them until the weekend, or even next Monday.

I'm holding off buying the KW dvds until I know whether I can get the bells in Aldi or not. If not, then I will follow the advice given and buy the 6 dvd set with a 10lb bell from the KW site.

I'm really eager to start with this as those of you who have been doing it for a while are giving me lots of inspiration from what you've posted so far.

So - until then I'll just bob along watching this thread and join in properly when I can start for real (if that's okay with you guys) :)

Tescos are doing the 5kg bells at £10 (I don't know if there's an offer on these) and the 7.5kg at £13 usually £20!

Thanks for the tip Shirleen. I'll see if I can get over to Tesco's this weekend, if Aldi doesn't get any in. Are they cast iron ones?

Hi, So I've decided to purchase a kettle bell and can only afford to buy one at the moment. I've tested a 5kg kettle bell and found whilst doing kettle bell swings I would tire after a minute or so but found it an ok weight for two handed exercises. However, when I tried one arm raises I could only manage about three lifts. My question is should I get 2.5kg where I would be able to do all exercises but some may become easy or should I buy a 5kg and just keep trying to build up my strength?

Also, can you use a kettle bell to replace normal dumbbells in a workout that uses dumbbells eg Davina videos often use light dumbbells, could I use kettle bells instead?

Thanks in advance

Do you know if you can buy the DVDs for kettleworx separately? I can't afford £49.99 at the moment and am really keen to get started so thought I might just start with one DVD. Also, I wondered if there is a list of the exercises they do in each of the Core, Resistance etc and number of reps.

Ok - for losing weight your body burns more with a bigger weight. A 2.5kg will quickly be redundant once you get going. You could use the 5kg and substitute the 2.5kg with a home made weight (yup ive done this - bottle water, wrapped a wire coat hanger round it and taped it up - ideal for lighter weights). There are some exercises we all struggle with, and you could find alternatives - so if using the 5kg becomes a problem on some moves swap them. Aim for whole body exercises - squats etc and worry less about those that use smaller muscles for now e.g bicep curls.

Kettlebells move the centre of gravity - so its outside your hand and not all exercises are directly substitable with dumbells. However most are - just be careful as technique is important and with no instructor to follow...

Hi, So I've decided to purchase a kettle bell and can only afford to buy one at the moment. I've tested a 5kg kettle bell and found whilst doing kettle bell swings I would tire after a minute or so but found it an ok weight for two handed exercises. However, when I tried one arm raises I could only manage about three lifts. My question is should I get 2.5kg where I would be able to do all exercises but some may become easy or should I buy a 5kg and just keep trying to build up my strength?

Also, can you use a kettle bell to replace normal dumbbells in a workout that uses dumbbells eg Davina videos often use light dumbbells, could I use kettle bells instead?

Thanks in advance

Ok here we go..

Week 1 Core
1 Standing AB Twist
2 Side Bends Horse stance, squat down, lean left & right
3 Roll & Kick On back, plant feet on floor, roll up and kick while holding up KB
4 Core Rowers
5 Half Get Up
6 Front Plain Hold
7 Pull Over Crunch
8 Butt Elevators Feet planted, push up hips and press KB up at the same time
9 Spell KettleWorx

Week 1 Cardio

1 Squat and Upright Row
Halos
Two Hand Forward Swing
Slam Dunks Bell grip, squat, shoulder press Kettle Bell
One Arm Upright Row Left Arm out to side, squat, pull up Kettle Bell to shoulder level
Kettle Bell Punches Kettle bell in left hand, left leg back. Twist hips, extend arm pull back
Kettle Bell Cross Over Push Ups .
Baseball Catcher Heel Raise
9 Back Step Lunge with Overhead Press
Fast Feet Slam Dunk
Run in place and press up Kettle Bell. Slow and fast pace.​
11 Kettle Bell Hold Bend at knees, extend arms straight out and hold
Mountain Climbers

Week 1 REsistance
1 Halos 40 secs Wide KB grip. Rotate around head, belly button in
2 One Arm Swing Left arm out, sit and swing kettle bell
3 Lawn Mower Left leg bent sideways, hand on hip, row kettle bell with right arm
4 Kettle Bell Punches Kettle bell in left hand, left leg back. Twist hips, extend arm pull back
5 One Arm Shoulder Press Kettle bell in right hand, left arm ext out, squat & press
6 Sumo Squat Wide leg stance, down slow, up slow. Inner thighs and glutes
7 Kettle Bell Flys Lay down, Kettle Bell right hand palm in, right leg bent, left arm out.
8 Front Plank Hold Kettle Bell in front, bell grip, head back, body straight, lean forearms
9 Two-Hand Back Scratcher and Squat
10 Baseball Catcher Heel Raise

Shout when you need more..Use Steve Cotter on YOutube if unsure of what means what
Do you know if you can buy the DVDs for kettleworx separately? I can't afford £49.99 at the moment and am really keen to get started so thought I might just start with one DVD. Also, I wondered if there is a list of the exercises they do in each of the Core, Resistance etc and number of reps.

Right! I've just spoken and got advice from a male friend who does this to help with his medical condition (MS). I'm determined now, going to pick up some on monday when I get paid from my local sainsburys, at the moment I'm doing some reading, downloading some DVD workouts, researching what moves work what muscles etc. He highly reccomended them and after seeing your pics... Wow....

Wish me luck :)

Back