Secret to shaping up

Hi, So I've decided to purchase a kettle bell and can only afford to buy one at the moment. I've tested a 5kg kettle bell and found whilst doing kettle bell swings I would tire after a minute or so but found it an ok weight for two handed exercises. However, when I tried one arm raises I could only manage about three lifts. My question is should I get 2.5kg where I would be able to do all exercises but some may become easy or should I buy a 5kg and just keep trying to build up my strength?

Also, can you use a kettle bell to replace normal dumbbells in a workout that uses dumbbells eg Davina videos often use light dumbbells, could I use kettle bells instead?

Thanks in advance

I started with a 2kg when I first started doing kettleworx but found that I moved up to a 5kg fairly quickly so I would be inclined to go with the 5kg & keep working on building your strength. I think if you went for a 2.5kg that you would probably be finding it too light after a couple of weeks.

I cant answer your question about using KB's instead of dumbells for the likes of the Davina DVD as I'm not familiar with the moves, sorry

Thanks all for replying - I'm gonna go for the 5kg and try and build up my strength. MartinD, thanks so much for posting the list of exercises. Is this Level 1 that you only do once? How many reps per exercise? Thanks in advance

I've just been on sainsburys and they are doing 5kg weights for £5.99

If I haven't done this before should I get the 2.5kg first or go straight for the 5kg?

NicoleW said:
I've just been on sainsburys and they are doing 5kg weights for £5.99

If I haven't done this before should I get the 2.5kg first or go straight for the 5kg?

Hi

I'm new to this and am using a combination of 4 and 7kg bells. I can manage all 2 handed exercises with 7kg but need the 4kg for some 1 handed exercises. I have pretty weak arms so would say that you should go for the 5kg bell. Good Luck! :)

Evening all,

It's such a motivation seeing so many people swinging and sticking to a programme. I don't think I would have stuck to it so far if it wasn't for my reporting in my progress on this thread, so thanks guys!

On that note, I am pleased to note that I've just completed Cardio week 3. My muscles were still tired from Tuesday's workout so had to use my 4kg on the gunslingers and the punches in order to keep my form but who cares, I'm doing it! :D

Kron - If you have any tips on how to get DH to give kettlebells a go (as you've clearly sold it to Mr Kron) please let me know! I know my DH would really benefit but he prefers to sit and watch (and laugh!). Still I will have the last laugh when i wear a bikini on the beach (as if) and he is hiding under a T-shirt! :D

Have a great evening all!

Hmm I'm getting all confused about routines etc.

Do you do resistance one day, then followed by cardio another day etc or do you devise your own routine that incorperates different moves to give you a balanced workout?

I'm liking the idea of

Warmup
Cardio
Resistance
Cardio
Core
Cool down as a basic routine overall

Probably about 3 times a week, 2 days on 1 day off. The other days I'll probably just do 10 - 15 minutes while watching tv of some cardio.

Evening Swingers! Just done Wk1 Resistance Advanced and I LOVED IT! Got to be my favourite ever. And Ryan was back on form with a mad amount of "Skinny Jeans" references as well to make to laugh :)

A few more new moves but nothing that tricky to get to grips with. Glad I have ordered a new sports bra though because there is no way I can jump up with the kettle bell overhead whilst holding my boobs at the same time!! Just adapted the move to a spring up onto tippy toes to save a couple of black eyes!!

That's me done until Sunday and Round 2 Cardio. Looking forward to my WI on Saturday morning. Hope I've gone some way to reversing my Christmas 3lbs on!

Hmm I'm getting all confused about routines etc.

Do you do resistance one day, then followed by cardio another day etc or do you devise your own routine that incorperates different moves to give you a balanced workout?

I'm liking the idea of

Warmup
Cardio
Resistance
Cardio
Core
Cool down as a basic routine overall

Probably about 3 times a week, 2 days on 1 day off. The other days I'll probably just do 10 - 15 minutes while watching tv of some cardio.

Hi - if you're going to be following Kettleworx then the routines are all on the DVDs. You do Cardio one day, ideally leave a rest day, then repeat with Core and Resistance. For example I do Cardio on a Sunday, Core Tuesday and Resistance Thursday. Each DVD has a numbered session 1-6. So for week one you do each number 1 session. Each session has a warm up and cool down within it - in fact its the same warm up and cool down for every Kettleworx DVD regardless.

Hope this makes more sense now. :)

My only tip is this...swinging is great fun but be really careful not to overdo it! The first time I did I literally was in agony for a week, my Quad muscles ( front of thigh) jerked so I neatly lost my balance and felt like my knees would snap backwards, I could barely walk up and downstairs and sitting down and getting up again was a mountain to climb!
So if you're as unfit as me take it slow, better to build up and keep going than collapse and have to give up moving at all for a week!

Mind you I'm 18stone I expect you lot are fitter than me lol!

Hi - if you're going to be following Kettleworx then the routines are all on the DVDs. You do Cardio one day, ideally leave a rest day, then repeat with Core and Resistance. For example I do Cardio on a Sunday, Core Tuesday and Resistance Thursday. Each DVD has a numbered session 1-6. So for week one you do each number 1 session. Each session has a warm up and cool down within it - in fact its the same warm up and cool down for every Kettleworx DVD regardless.

Hope this makes more sense now. :)

I can't really afford the DVD's at the moment :(

Does make a bit more sense though!

Hello all the swingers out there! I'm a virgin to swinging so need to ease in gently. Until I save up for the kettleworx program im going to try to devise my own routine to do. Is there a list anywhere of all the different moves you can do with the kettle bells and what muscles they focus on?

Also, has anyone devised any routines / workouts they do without having to use DVDs?

Thanks all you swingers...be gentle with me!

usually I create my own

Ive got lists but I dont note the body part as i know my way round but this link is simple and you can pick body part and exercise. remember to start with big muscle groups first (bum, legs, chest) before little ones (abs, bicep)

Bodybuilding.com - Kettlebell Exercise Guides Database.
Hello all the swingers out there! I'm a virgin to swinging so need to ease in gently. Until I save up for the kettleworx program im going to try to devise my own routine to do. Is there a list anywhere of all the different moves you can do with the kettle bells and what muscles they focus on?

Also, has anyone devised any routines / workouts they do without having to use DVDs?

Thanks all you swingers...be gentle with me!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd pop in and say hi :)

I've spent ages reading through this thread and would like to say a huge thank you to all the contributors, you've sold it to me completely! Am loving your before and after pics too (Kron, you're an inspiration).

If anybody's interested, I've just purchased a 5kg kettlebell from Tesco Direct for £6.66! (reduced from £10, I think). I pick it up from my local Tesco on Saturday and in the meantime I've going to order the Kettleworx DVDs. Can't wait to get started!

Hi to everyone
I am back swinging again and slowly getting back to healthy eating although I still have some chocs and Christmas cake left which keeps calling my name. I put on half a stone over the festive period so need to get my motivation back.

Hi picklednut

I haven't got any DVDs and have devised my own routine which so far has kept me in trim. I just did some research and posted my ideas in this thread. I got some helpful suggestions from kron and others too.

Does anyone have suggestions for some thigh work?

Hi All :)

Official weigh in and target + 1, so still dont have to pay, but prefered being under target as I was beginning of Dec, so a few more weeks and I will be where I liked being :)

Loads to catch up on, so hope I dont miss anything!

Picklednut great weight loss so far :) I believe the bells is one of the quickest exercise routines to lose inches, so dropping a couple of dress sizes will be acheivable quite quickly (as long as you keep on plan food wise) I would not recommend trying to work a bell to a dumbell routine when new to swinging, sorry, but a bell works you so differently from dumbells, weight machines etc and you could get a really bad injury! I would suggest a 5kg, and just do as many as you can on any moves you feel weak at doing, at a slower pace, taking a little breather, i.e. switch arms, do 3 on right, then left, back to right, etc even if its only a couple of reps. Check out the links in my sig and practice those, as well as cheap dvd links that could get you started and the link martin has put on will also give you some more moves to practice with. You cant normally buy each kw dvds individually, there are some short routines on youtube, there is a link to one way back on this thread, but i think it was a Lauren Brooks routine, I will have a see what i can find.

Sweet great to hear your shoulder is better and ready to swing :) Christmas was a gluttoness haze of days, so yes very enjoyable lol. Running this time of year must be difficult with the cold, dark and rain, but the days are getting longer! Haha week 1 cardio, its enough to put anyone off, good luck ;)

Chelsea I am looking forward to result time :) even with the blip at christmas, if nothing else you can do all the sets now, compared to when you started and struggled doing one, so there is already a positive result. Our bodies will bloat up and down, alot is pending on water retention, which could be from something as small as soya sauce in a meal :)

Suseka how annoying! I hope they get them in soon so you can get swinging. Only another 150 pages to go !!! lol Keep posting and fingers crossed you get everything really soon, and start swinging :)

Martin how do you know all the kw moves lol kelly only beat you cos she cheated :)

Nicole welcome :) If your making your own routine, try grouping exercises into core, anything that targets abs, sides back, resistance alot of slow concentrated moves, usually low reps. cardio anything that gets you breathing heavily, altho I would recommend you do a few exercises for all body parts in each of your groups, if you need any help or advice please post. Get a 5kg, anything lower would be too easy after a couple of weeks. Get yourself measured up and join the swinging club :)

SS oh booo, hope they come in on Sunday

Hi gettingfit, hope you are keeping well. i have seen these, its a good idea, and the price in comparison to buying single bells cant be beat. I think if you started using this at the beginning it could be ok as you would get used to it, altho the size would make it difficult for some moves

Hi Pandora thanks for posting, we love the sales :)

herewego i couldnt do punches and gunslingers with my 4.5 i still struggle with those particular moves and always go low! Your hubby sounds like mine lol He started doing them as he saw the changes in me, and his beer belly was expanding and i was looking fit ;) and after i proved that the bells are a mans exercise he had a go, now he loves Ryan to bits lol

Sue lol really happy to hear your liking Advanced, and hope your bra comes soon to control those bad boys. Good luck for WI, I am sure you have made a good dent in your christmas gain :)

Shirleen well you did do a marathon swing on your first session lol

Cleogin isnt core great :) hope your aches go soon ready fo resistance

Wirralmum welcome, you wont be disappointed and can have your own amazing before and after pics :)

Hi eatwell, you will soon have that gain off, altho i still have chocolate and bits in the house so it can be a bit tempting :) For thighs you need a variety of lunges and squat type moves, also squeezing those muscles when working them will make a difference quicker. Tip your pelvis and squeeze butt and thighs at the top of swings, squats, etc just adds that little extra :)

Keep swinging :)

Never got my KB in Aldis, apparently getting them in on Saturday the 8th? Meh :(

Joanne24 said:
Never got my KB in Aldis, apparently getting them in on Saturday the 8th? Meh :(

Same here, my local Aldis did not have them in stock; neither did Tescos!

Back