Secret to shaping up

Get well soon xx

I had a wee look, only on sky :( boo

Oh well, thanks for the link :) x

Hi

Dont be too disappointed - I've just watched it! Ryan doesn't exactly "share" his 20 minute workout at all - it's a sponsored programme (in other words an advert) - 20 mins of people telling you how great it is.

What a tease that Ryan is ;) I was hoping for a trial 20 min workout for free lol - the only sniff of the workouts were clips of others doing it or a frozen tv screen behind them with the workout option menu showing :rolleyes:

Ryan is rather cute though:wow:

They also offer the 10 dvd and kettlebell pack for £79.99

Lindylou

Hi everyone,

I’ve not used kettlebells before but have been very interested in your posts here. I am thinking of trying them out.

I have a few questions, I’d appreciate it if someone could take the time to answer for me please.

1) I have seen an adjustable kettlebell in Tesco which goes from 3kg to 7kg – is this any good for a beginner?

2) Can anyone recommend a good but reasonably priced DVD. I have looked on Amazon but am baffled.

Fitness wise I run regularly but have not done any strength training since I got pregnant 2 years ago. Before that I used to do quite a lot of weight training if that has any bearing on anything.

Thanks in advance xx

I havent seen the adjustable kettlebell but the one thing I would keep in mind is the size of it. I started using vinyl KB's but found them much too bulky in comparison to cast iron ones & forever 'banging' myself when using them.

The only KB DVD I have used has been the kettleworx programme which isnt cheap but well worth the investment if you can afford it. I'm on my 3rd time doing the 6 week programme. I paid £49.99 for mine but for 18 x 20 minute workouts plus 2 bonus DVD with a total of 6 X 10 minute workouts I thought it was pretty good value.

When I first started I had been doing C25k but like yourself hadnt done much exercise since before having my kids (almost 6 years ago!!) other than running round after them. I found that my strength built up fairly quickly with kettleworx as I started using a 2kg, then a 3kg & then a 4kg but moved on to a 5kg (my 1st cast iron) fairly soon. I also loved the fact that they were short 20 minute workouts so I could easily fit them into my life when the older 2 were at school or when the youngest is napping. I've even been known to do them while they have lunch or breakfast.

Hope that helps you a bit at least

Hi - Chelsea-Lou - well done. Excellent results. Always good to see inch loss.

Lindylou - I've watched a couple of the How To programmes before and thought they were really good. Not a kettlebell in sight on the two I watched. They had exercises for people of all ages and levels.

Resistance for me tonight after work. Hope its as good as Wk1 which was fab.

Hi there

1)You must have seen the Kelly Holmes adjustable kettlebell. Ive tried a few of these and dont like them. If space is a major issue then the compramise is perhpas worth it. Personally I really think a set of three such as Davina's at Argos is better as you have some choice switching mid exercise and gain progress thru these. I got them for my misses and great value too - I personally use steel ones as I like the feel of them and can do bear crawls etc..,

2) Most people here use Kettleworx. Its well contructed and progressive. While its not cheap (none of them are) is comprehensive and I suspect best value versus any competition. The tutor Ryan Shannananan isnt everyones cup of tea. But if you want something to just pop in the dvd and get on with this is worthy of consideration.

I have used Steve Cotter - superb technique, well constructed very much for the purist and if you have some experience and fitness his are worthy of consideration. Anyone who has used plenty of weights to a good standard would probably enjoy this.

Art of Strength I think requires a bit of fitness to start with and you need to be ready for 40 min workouts but again well constructed. Ignore the name -you wont build strength but stamina and fitness instead. Ideal for anyone who does sports or has a good stamina base and wants to build on this.

Russian Strength with PAvel Tsoulaline (or whatever his name is) - bit macho, but great range of techniques. Itll get you fit but I dont think he works well with beginners.

Hope this helps - have a look on youtube first for clips and see which trainer is your style. Ive got my dvd from ebay...tehy are pricey otherwise

Hi everyone,

I’ve not used kettlebells before but have been very interested in your posts here. I am thinking of trying them out.

I have a few questions, I’d appreciate it if someone could take the time to answer for me please.

1) I have seen an adjustable kettlebell in Tesco which goes from 3kg to 7kg – is this any good for a beginner?

2) Can anyone recommend a good but reasonably priced DVD. I have looked on Amazon but am baffled.

Fitness wise I run regularly but have not done any strength training since I got pregnant 2 years ago. Before that I used to do quite a lot of weight training if that has any bearing on anything.

Thanks in advance xx

30 minutes of Cardio Week 1 done :)

I only have resistence left to do this week then I've done week one!

My back pain has gone as well, must've been a trapped nerve or something

Good morning Super Swingers :D Hope we are all well.

So, here we go then.

Weight loss -2lbs :confused:

Bust -1.5" :D
Waist - 1.5" :D
Hips - 1"
Left Arm - 0.5"
Right Arm - 1"
Left & Right thighs No change :cry:
Love handles -2.5" :D:D

Not sure how to feel about it really.... kind of pleased about the weight loss, considering the Xmas/New year period was during the 6 weeks, but as I haven't been eating very much I was hoping for more.

I am not sure if my thigh measurements were taken in the same place as originally, so a bit disappointed with the no-change but delighted with the 2.5 inch difference in my love handles :D

Will press on with Round 2 starting with Core tomorrow and will make a conscious effort to mix it up with some of the 10 minute fast abs/fat burn on my rest days :D

Have a fab day peeps :D

That's fab on the inch loss. Don't stress too much on the weight, too many variables involved, what's important is that you see results. Once I started exercising I dropped a dress size but only lost 4.5lb.
Keep it up you're doing FAB!

Hi all :)

Chelsea thats a brilliant result :) An 8 inch loss with only 2lbs gone! Also less than 6 hours of exercise to acheive shrinkage!

Considering we have had christmas and over indulgences and alot less exercise, it is a fab result, and I bet it will be more after Round 2. Your weight loss will catch up x

Thelasttime welcome :) What price range are you looking for? I would also add Lauren Brooks (£32 !!), Kettlercise for Women (£22), Go Fit Iron core (£10 for Vol 1) all on amazon, but may be worth doing more of a search. It can be better value to buy bells separate
I recommend the metal type bells, and sometimes a stackable can be really bulky, and as Sweet says more prone to banging yourself in some moves

Nicole good to hear you worked that kink out :)

Shirleen glad to hear your back at the gym. Dont overdo it!!!

caroline I hope you get a good bargain if you buy kw, but working with the bells will see results. I prefer using a DVD as it keeps me in time and an all over workout

Joanne looking forward to hearing you have collapsed after starting week 6 :) It could feel tough!

Its great to hear everyone is swinging away :) I completed a freestyle for about 5 mins last night, was a tad tired, so having a good one tonight!

Not sure if its any good but just spied the kettlenetics set in sainsburys for £10.50, its normally £3. they also had 2.5 kg bells but couldnt see a price.

X

NumNumPigsBum said:
Not sure if its any good but just spied the kettlenetics set in sainsburys for £10.50, its normally £3. they also had 2.5 kg bells but couldnt see a price.

X

No its normally £35 :doh:

Hi all - that's Wk2 Advanced finished. Resistance was great and surprisingly not too sweaty this week. Was focused more on balance so a lot more one legged moves. Another new moved introduced as well - the one legged butt elevator. Its do-able but I have room for improvement! Really enjoying the advanced set so far. Think at the end of my first round I will be looking at incorporating my 10kg into some moves and see how I get on. Not for another few weeks though. :)

Cat Lover Sue said:
Hi all - that's Wk2 Advanced finished. Resistance was great and surprisingly not too sweaty this week. Was focused more on balance so a lot more one legged moves. Another new moved introduced as well - the one legged butt elevator. Its do-able but I have room for improvement! Really enjoying the advanced set so far. Think at the end of my first round I will be looking at incorporating my 10kg into some moves and see how I get on. Not for another few weeks though. :)

Hi Sue

I really enjoy your reports on the advanced as its my next step on.

Keep it up you are doing fab :)

Just completed cardio week 4! So glad that's done and dusted. I yelled at the TV when, after having struggled through the hold, he made me doing it again like a minute later. I may have called him a few choice words but I feel great now so all is forgiven :D.

Body aches - check
Shoulders sore -check
Tired - check
Hard to get up from sitting down - check

Yup did Art of strength - Newport again. I hurt so much now its untrue. 50+ mins of hell. Still ill sleep well tonight.... weird thing though - i have a minor ear infection so my ear is blocked and when i work my neck on anything i can hear it crunch! my warm up sounded like rice krispies in my head

I did find on art of strength site some useful 1 minute clips like this one - Art of Strength - M.O.S. 241-250 which were quite good for info and ideas.

Hi Sue

I really enjoy your reports on the advanced as its my next step on.

Keep it up you are doing fab :)

Thanks Sarah. I'm really pleased with the set so far. You watch, it'll bite me from wk3! :eek:

Just completed cardio week 4! So glad that's done and dusted. I yelled at the TV when, after having struggled through the hold, he made me doing it again like a minute later. I may have called him a few choice words but I feel great now so all is forgiven :D.

Alli - Cardio wk4 is just slightly less traumatic than the dreaded Wk1! I was nearly sick the first time I did it. My vision went blurry and everything! :eek: But what a feeling of accomplishment when you get through it.

I know what you mean about the holds though. "Go to a happy place" - how about my foot up your backside, Ryan!! :D

I've just eaten three bananas, a whole iceburg lettuce, three tomatoes, a whole stick of cucumber, 5 sticks of celary, and about 1kg of grapes and I'm still hungry

herewego said:

Hahahahaha -that happened to me yesterday as well. I gritted my teeth and told myself I could do it, even when he said to squat even deeper maintaining the hold. Just as I was about to give up, that hold move ended aaah!

PS: I get cross sometimes when he says to 'turbo charge' (during the 2 handed swing I think) and some strange group of voices with a hollow ring give a delayed response of 'yah!' ;(

Back