Secret to shaping up

I've been doing a lot of kettlebell stuff lately and I started the official Kettleworx programme on Sunday expecting to hurt like hell the next morning but I don't. I did the Cardio one on Sunday and felt fine the next day. I did Core yesterday and I ache a little when I move in my sides which I assume is from working my obliques as I don't often do many oblique exercises, but that's it. I expected it to hurt a lot more and thought that it should. Does this mean that I'm not working hard enough or something? When I get that feeling the next day, I feel pretty good about it. It lets me know that I've worked hard and done well, so now I'm not getting that, makes me feel like I'm not working hard enough but I'm giving it my all! Any ideas, am I just not working hard enough?

Thank you CatLoverSue, that's what I intend to do :) I've already picked up good tips from this thread and its the people on here that have given me the motivation to start in the first place, so you're stuck with me now :D

My back is still a bit achey this morning (but I expected that), and I know I have to be careful with any exercise that impacts on that area. But I also know if I can strengthen my core, then my back will benefit. It should also help me improve my posture (or so Ryan says) -which again helps my back. I have a tendency to drop my shoulders and hunch forward when my back is particularly sore.

I'm glad I chose cardio first, because, although I wasn't able to keep up the pace - nor complete some of the exercises fully - if it is the least liked session, it makes the other two more appealing in a way and I look forward to those first sessions.

One thing I do like is how quick these sessions are and so I've no excuse not to set 20 mins aside (well, a little more with the warm up and cool down), but well worth it.

I loved and hated cardio at the same time! Was good but near the end I wanted to actually kill Ryan just so that I could stop haha Core was definitely easier to carry on and do it all. Spelling out KETTLEWORX was the hardest thing though I think, trying to keep my legs straight and in the air!

caroline g said:
... I expected it to hurt a lot more and thought that it should. Does this mean that I'm not working hard enough or something? When I get that feeling the next day, I feel pretty good about it. It lets me know that I've worked hard and done well, so now I'm not getting that, makes me feel like I'm not working hard enough but I'm giving it my all! Any ideas, am I just not working hard enough?

Hi Caroline, a couple of thoughts: if you already do regular exercise it might be that your body is accustomed to it and it's only the moves you don't usually do that give you that soreness. As you are giving it your all, another factor could be the intensity -working with a weight that is enough to challenge you sufficiently without causing injury.

caroline g said:
I loved and hated cardio at the same time! Was good but near the end I wanted to actually kill Ryan just so that I could stop haha Core was definitely easier to carry on and do it all. Spelling out KETTLEWORX was the hardest thing though I think, trying to keep my legs straight and in the air!

Hahahaha, most of us seem to love-hate cardio! I did Wk 5 Cardio today and had to sit down a couple of times to catch my breath, but it really is fab :D

Well Ive just done Art of Strength Providence and my hurt from before now has new hurt on top.

What is the pain we feel after exercise?

1. In some cases teeny weeny tears to muscle fibre. Often happens at first esp with new exercise and with weight based ones. If you are fit or young (or both) your body adapts quicker. Often this ache/pain lasts 2-3 days as your body repairs itself stronger
2. Chemicals. sort like waste products like free radicals etc.., which need clearing up by your bodies natural system. Some people have good systems and younger people generally do (lucky sods - DOMS as its called is rare in children). Good diet and rest are helpful here (oh and taking SSRI like seratonin; however bananas are good enough providing potassium)
3. Eccentric muscle work causes more pain than concentric. So depending on your workout you might do more of one than other.Why? cos eccentric overloads more as it has fewer 'motors' to call on

I hurt more the day after the day after these days...Check that you are doing the full range of motion on exercises. But otherwise accept your youth and genetics might be giving you an advantage.

I've been doing a lot of kettlebell stuff lately and I started the official Kettleworx programme on Sunday expecting to hurt like hell the next morning but I don't. I did the Cardio one on Sunday and felt fine the next day. I did Core yesterday and I ache a little when I move in my sides which I assume is from working my obliques as I don't often do many oblique exercises, but that's it. I expected it to hurt a lot more and thought that it should. Does this mean that I'm not working hard enough or something? When I get that feeling the next day, I feel pretty good about it. It lets me know that I've worked hard and done well, so now I'm not getting that, makes me feel like I'm not working hard enough but I'm giving it my all! Any ideas, am I just not working hard enough?

I definitely hurt more when I started with kettlebell stuff but now, not so much. I started with 2.5kg but it was soon too light, tried 5kg and it was a little too heavy so I've been using 4kg. Maybe I need to move up a kg?

That pain lasts for 7 days in my case! Mind you its mostly my legs/quads and i think thats just cos im working against a heavy body weight?
Mine generally starts lunchtime next day and increases to be at it's worst the following lunchtime.

What size bell are you using? Maybe go up a weight or if that's not an option yet try increasing your reps? Or lengthening holds?

Caroline, maybe try going up to the 5kg now & see how that feels. I know when I first started I felt like I was moving up the weights fairly quickly (I went 2kg, 3kg, 4kg & then 5kg in a matter of 3 weeks or less!!) as my body got used to the exercises.

Well this morning I done week 2 cardio with my 7.5kg which (please dont hate me) I found quite easy so I put fast abs on straight after it & done it too :D. The only exercise that I felt under pressure was the KB hold which really hurt but stubborness took over!!! :eek: I am definitely finding a good burst of caffeine is helping (I do my before I have breakfast) so will continue to have that first thing. All in all I feel great & can't wait for my little favourite 'core' on Friday.. it always seems like a nice end to the week :D

I reckon I'll give 5kg a try tomorrow then, thanks guys :)

Err yeah so apparently I spoke to soon! Just moved, for the first time in an hour or two I'll admit, and dear god my middle hurt haha It's mainly my obliques and lower back but yeah, it definitely worked yesterday!

caroline g said:
Err yeah so apparently I spoke to soon! Just moved, for the first time in an hour or two I'll admit, and dear god my middle hurt haha It's mainly my obliques and lower back but yeah, it definitely worked yesterday!

Oh dear! Hope it doesn't increase!

Ha Sweet - I'm like that with the KB hold. Even when my arms and shoulders are juddering my sheer determination and stubborness sees me through! :)

Try to keep moving Caroline. I find it worse if I have been sitting still for too long.

Ha Sweet - I'm like that with the KB hold. Even when my arms and shoulders are juddering my sheer determination and stubborness sees me through! :)

I love it when he says go deeper coz at least I know its almost over!!! Mind you when he tell you to look at the others for inspiration I want to launch the KB at him!!!! lol

What weight are you working with now Sue?? I can't imagine me going above 7.5kg at the minute but I suppose I shouldnt rule it out

Ello ello,

Just done Resistance Wk1, was planning to do Cardio Wk1 but I am still abit achy from Monday lol so thought i'd do resistance instead, I actually felt good, so good infact, that I did the vaccuuming straight after, now that's saying something! :p hehe. Something tells me that I wont be doing the vaccuuming after cardio on Friday though, hmmm lol xx

Good afternoon :D

Had a brisk half hour walk at lunchtime, so pleased with that, on top of my 20 minute freestyle swing last night.

Myself and a work colleague have booked a 2 week Mediterranean cruise today, leaving on 1st September, so along with my DD3's wedding at the end of June I now have another very good reason for swinging, walking and eating well :D:D Lots to look forward to and I want to look good and feel great :)

Hope you are all having a fab Wednesday x

Had a brisk half hour walk at lunchtime, so pleased with that, on top of my 20 minute freestyle swing last night.

Myself and a work colleague have booked a 2 week Mediterranean cruise today, leaving on 1st September, so along with my DD3's wedding at the end of June I now have another very good reason for swinging, walking and eating well :D:D Lots to look forward to and I want to look good and feel great :)

You definitely have lots to aim for to keep you in the 'swing' of things!!!!

Chelsea Lou said:

Awww lucky you!

Back