Secret to shaping up

Chelsea Lou said:
Thanks Shirleen, I feel very fortunate to be going on another fab cruise, a year after the last one. Never thought I would have one in my lifetime let alone two :D

We've been on one and are dreaming about another!

I love it when he says go deeper coz at least I know its almost over!!! Mind you when he tell you to look at the others for inspiration I want to launch the KB at him!!!! lol

What weight are you working with now Sue?? I can't imagine me going above 7.5kg at the minute but I suppose I shouldnt rule it out

Hi Sweet - mainly I use my 7.5kg bell. Have to drop down to my 15lb one for some of the one handed stuff - one armed swing, disco side bends - that kind of thing but working on not doing that!

I do have a 10kg which Santa got me and I have been using that for a few cheeky KB swings and squats but I really can't see me be able to use that in the sessions for quite some time!

My plan is to get through Round 1 of the Advanced and then work on just using my 7.5kg for Round 2. I'm just going to see where it takes me. I'm not driven by who's got the biggest bell - if you know what I mean! :D

Last edited:
Hi Sweet - mainly I use my 7.5kg bell. Have to drop down to my 15lb one for some of the one handed stuff - one armed swing, disco side bends - that kind of thing but working on not doing that!

I do have a 10kg which Santa got me and I have been using that for a few cheeky KB swings and squats but I really can't see me be able to use that in the sessions for quite some time!

My plan is to get through Round 1 of the Advanced and then work on just using my 7.5kg for Round 2. I'm just going to see where it takes me. I'm not driven my who's got the biggest bell - if you know what I mean! :D

Sounds like you are doing fantastic!!!!!! I think so long as we can get the results we want without injuring ourselves then thats the main thing!!!! Fab work though on the 10kg!!!!:eek:

Hi all fellow swingers!

Well I finally started Kettleworx tonight with my 5kg kettlebell. I started with Week 1 Core and by the end of the 20 mins I felt a bit sweaty but not really out of breath and the workout was "do-able" so not sure whether I was doing it "hard" enough. By the third set I could feel my thighs aching a bit and I found the hip pump and crunch really hard work by the end of the third set. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow to see if I've had a good workout as after I'd finished I didn't really feel I'd exercised too much so not sure whether three 20 mins exercise per week are going to see massive results.

Also, is each workout the same format i.e. warm-up, small circuit of exercise repeated 3 times, cool down?

Caroline G, Suseka, maybe we could buddy up as we're all starting out together and we're all on Week 1? Maybe I should change my routine next week so I start with Cardio then Core then Resistance like you guys. Not feeling bad "pain-wise", will have to see how I feel tomorrow morning and report back.

Hope everyone is well and have a good old swing! I've put all my measurements in my signature so I measure myself again in 6 weeks time.

Last edited:
picklednut said:
Hi all fellow swingers!

Well I finally started Kettleworx tonight with my 5kg kettlebell. I started with Week 1 Core and by the end of the 20 mins I felt a bit sweaty but not really out of breath and the workout was "do-able" so not sure whether I was doing it "hard" enough. By the third set I could feel my thighs aching a bit and I found the hip pump and crunch really hard work by the end of the third set. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow to see if I've had a good workout as after I'd finished I didn't really feel I'd exercised too much so not sure whether three 20 mins exercise per week are going to see massive results.

Also, is each workout the same format i.e. warm-up, small circuit of exercise repeated 3 times, cool down?

Hope everyone is well and have a good old swing! I've put all my measurements in my signature so I measure myself again in 6 weeks time.

Heya cardio and resistance are only two sets. I think most of us find core the easiest, if u find them all easy then you might need to up your weight x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hey guys :) been reading this thread on and off for a while now since Donzy posted about it in the calorie counting section. And now I'm finally gonna start on Monday I hope! Picking up my kettlebell on Saturday :)

Just a quick question, did/does anyone do this alongside running? I am currently doing couch 2 5k and might have to do kettleworx and that on the same days so it would be
Monday C25K and Cardio
Wednesday C25K and Core
Friday C25K and Resistance
Saturday I train with a trainer at the gym so weights and stuff

Do you think this is doable for a beginner, or too optimistic?

.....Caroline G, Suseka, maybe we could buddy up as we're all starting out together and we're all on Week 1? Maybe I should change my routine next week so I start with Cardio then Core then Resistance like you guys. Not feeling bad "pain-wise", will have to see how I feel tomorrow morning and report back.

Yes, sounds like a plan :) Happy to buddy in this thread, or through our diaries, or whatever suits really. Well done for doing the core workout. I only started with the cardio, because when I was fast forwarding through the intro dvd, Ryan spoke about the programme in that order - so I assumed that's what folks do. I don't think it matters though. Good luck with the rest of week one. I'll be doing core tomorrow, though my shoulders are still a bit achey from doing those 'halos' ouchie.

Bostik said:
Hey guys :) been reading this thread on and off for a while now since Donzy posted about it in the calorie counting section. And now I'm finally gonna start on Monday I hope! Picking up my kettlebell on Saturday :)

Just a quick question, did/does anyone do this alongside running? I am currently doing couch 2 5k and might have to do kettleworx and that on the same days so it would be
Monday C25K and Cardio
Wednesday C25K and Core

I run week 1 c25k as a warm up, but I'd better explain, because I've got arthritis in my knee I can't progress on C25K past week one I reckon till I've lost another stone at least.
Also I find too much swinging (basic squat swing) really hurts my quads (again weight related).
But I don't do Kettlworx, I do my own swing thing pushing myself gradually.

I think running really helps with my stamina and lung capacity, I like kettlebells because you do see your muscles get more toned before your eyes!
So yes I think it's doable, I do mine all on the same day but you could run Monday, swing Tuesday, run Wednesday. Swing Thursday, run Friday, swing Saturday rest on Sunday?

Hi all. I have been reading this thread now for past month and tried out the kettle bell workout last night for first time. I can't move today!!! And i only did the 10 min fat burn to try out with 5kg bell i got from sainsbury. Am not unfit but by god do my legs feel it today. Am hoping with WW (for the 100th time) to get into shape properly once and for all. Turned 40 and don't like the thoughts of being fat and 40!. Having read all your success stories along the way i am determined to do it this time and WILL swing again tomorrow!! I have 2 stone to lose and i always give up after a couple of weeks but am determined this time along with C25K to get to target!!

audharper said:
Hi all. I have been reading this thread now for past month and tried out the kettle bell workout last night for first time. I can't move today!!! And i only did the 10 min fat burn to try out with 5kg bell i got from sainsbury. Am not unfit but by god do my legs feel it today. Am hoping with WW (for the 100th time) to get into shape properly once and for all. Turned 40 and don't like the thoughts of being fat and 40!. Having read all your success stories along the way i am determined to do it this time and WILL swing again tomorrow!! I have 2 stone to lose and i always give up after a couple of weeks but am determined this time along with C25K to get to target!!

Good luck! I couldn't move for a whole week first time I tried the bells out! I just love swinging.... My legs don't haha!

hi ya

there is a study* to support that 20 mins intense kettlebell will burn 270+ cals during session and of course there is the EPOC effect (basically weight based exercise burns cals for 24 hrs after exercise). Even without measuring EPOC its roughly the same as doing a 5km/3.2m run in the same time - quite demanding. There are few exercises that can match this for calorific burn and its double what an aerobics class can do (again, taken from studies)

In truth most of us wont work at that level but we wont be too far out.

Can you work faster than the tutor? in 2 mins I can do both arms on single arm exercises 5-4-3-2-1 twice which tells me I need the next weight.

can you up the weight? Im trying for the first 8 exercises the next weight then swap back - i aim to transition over to the heavier weight in a few weeks.

*go to google scholar and check out amercian college of sports medicine or dr john castellano or Dr j pocari authors on kettlebell studies
Hi all fellow swingers!

Caroline G, Suseka, maybe we could buddy up as we're all starting out together and we're all on Week 1? Maybe I should change my routine next week so I start with Cardio then Core then Resistance like you guys. Not feeling bad "pain-wise", will have to see how I feel tomorrow morning and report back.

Shirleen - Thanks for that :) I was gonna do it Tuesday, Thursday but then I think my legs would never get a rest. Thought might just run then get home and do kettleworx. Will try it on monday and see how it goes :)

We could maybe start a separate diary for the three of us to post and chat about it all if you want? Just a thought.

Hi all fellow swingers!

Core is most peoples favourite for that reason so you should find resistance & cardio more challenging. Don't underestimate the results core will give though.

Good Luck

Monday C25K and Cardio
Wednesday C25K and Core

Hi Bostik,

I done the 2 alongside eachother & found they worked really well though I tended to do them alternate days most of the time. I actually think the 2 compliment eachother really well. I havent been able to get out running at the minute due to the dark nights but as soon as the evenings lengthen I'll be back out doing both

Good luck

Hi Bostik,

I done the 2 alongside eachother & found they worked really well though I tended to do them alternate days most of the time. I actually think the 2 compliment eachother really well. I havent been able to get out running at the minute due to the dark nights but as soon as the evenings lengthen I'll be back out doing both

Good luck

I'm the same as Sweet....currently on week 3 of C25K (Mon, Wed, Fri) and I do Kettleworx on the other days. I agree they work really well together :)

I'm interested in the C25K and kettlebell combo - cleogin did you find it increased your weightloss or has the muscle gain caused any stalls? x

Thought it time to really get focussed and use the 16kg. I was intending doing Art of Strength for half the time with it, but went with Kettleworx level 2 resistance weeks 1 and 2 back to back. I think as its familiar its easier to go up a weight with something you've done before - it wasnt too bad (except my flyes were shocking) but unlike Art the weight isnt above your head for as long. finished just before the end, but encouraging.

Still not bad for an old bloke (who trains in his slippers with a mug of tea).

Come on belles get them bells swinging

Back