Secret to shaping up

Good morning :)
Has it only been a few days since I last posted, theres loads to catch up on lol

I am nearly better, still got the lingerings of the cold, but have managed to get a few swings in, and my unoffical (home) WI shows a 2lb loss this week, so very pleased with that considering the amount of cough and cold meds I have been taking :)

Must say Hi and welcome to our new swingers

Chook I think we all got lazy both diet and exercise wise over Christmas, but it doesnt take long to catch up

Minnie Mel hope you get your bell, the swingers club is the bestest club :)

Bostik good luck with starting your swinging. A while back I came across a site that said that running and swinging were very complimentary as you build up your core strength and stamina, so good luck with getting your routine going

audharper hope that ache has subsided, it wont be long before you will not be fat and 40 :)

Sweet using your 7.5 :) I knew you would be able to manage, and those inches are going to melt away

Mr Sue is using a 10kg!!!! Blimey he must be finding that hard work. Mr K completed cardio week 2 the other evening, and the house was shaking! I dread to think what it was like when I first started as I was alot heavier, I am surprised the floor didnt cave in lol.

Its fantastic to hear everyone is getting through the weeks workouts, going to be some great results at the end of it all :)

Keep up the good work belles x

Just finished Wk2 Cardio and I think it's safe to say, I'm a convert! I both loved and hated Wk1 Cardio, well at the time I just hated! But Wk2 is far easier I think but must have worked just as hard pretty much as my HRM says I only burnt 23 calories less. I actually, dare I say it, enjoyed Cardio this week! I should have done it tomorrow but I didn't want to wait, strangely. So I think it's going to take me a little less than 6 weeks to finish the programme as I've moved forward a day and knowing me I may end up doing the same next week, though I'll make sure I always leave at least 1 day between each one.

I can't imagine using 7.5kg let alone 10kg! I use 5kg and that's enough for me.

Joanne24 said:
I get my cardio out the way first every week lol!

Finishing week6 tomorro, onto round 2 next week x

Nice one Joanna; well done!

Cleogin said:
Wk 3 resistance completed yesterday...... Set 1 seemed to go on forever. Wanted to cry when I heard " let's do some lawnmowers" yay lets!!! Blxxdy things I hate them lol!
Running behind this week so gonna sneak core in on Sunday with c25k or I'm gonna be running behind. Week 4 on Tuesday :)

Hahahaha -Cleogin, I know the feeling; sometimes I glare at Ryan when it's time to move onto the next exercise and I'm still trying to catch my breath from the last one! :D

Kron said:
Has it only been a few days since I last posted, theres loads to catch up on lol

I am nearly better, still got the lingerings of the cold, but have managed to get a few swings in, and my unoffical (home) WI shows a 2lb loss this week, so very pleased with that considering the amount of cough and cold meds I have been taking :)

Its fantastic to hear everyone is getting through the weeks workouts, going to be some great results at the end of it all :)

Keep up the good work belles x

Welcome back Kron, congrats on the 2 lb loss and I hope you're feeling much better :)

Just finished Wk2 Cardio and I think it's safe to say, I'm a convert! I both loved and hated Wk1 Cardio, well at the time I just hated! But Wk2 is far easier I think but must have worked just as hard pretty much as my HRM says I only burnt 23 calories less. I actually, dare I say it, enjoyed Cardio this week! I should have done it tomorrow but I didn't want to wait, strangely. So I think it's going to take me a little less than 6 weeks to finish the programme as I've moved forward a day and knowing me I may end up doing the same next week, though I'll make sure I always leave at least 1 day between each one.

Caroline, how many calories is your HRM showing as burning in the sessions?? I keep meaning to get one to see

caroline g said:
Just finished Wk2 Cardio and I think it's safe to say, I'm a convert!

Hey Caroline, great that you're on board with the bells!
Re: 7.5kg - there are days when I think yeah I can handle it but days when I think aarrgh 5kg is enough!! Still, watch out 10kg because we'll get there eventually :D :D

Wk 5 resistance done; I'm so pleased -almost completed 1st round!
Well done everyone :)

Caroline, how many calories is your HRM showing as burning in the sessions?? I keep meaning to get one to see

Well it varies. Cardio is about 600, Core 350, Resistance 480. But then I'm bigger than a lot of you so will burn more. I bought my HRM from Tesco for £20 and it's actually really good. They've got it on offer at the moment, 1/3 off down the £13.66 or something like that. It's the one body HRM.

Hey Caroline, great that you're on board with the bells!
Re: 7.5kg - there are days when I think yeah I can handle it but days when I think aarrgh 5kg is enough!! Still, watch out 10kg because we'll get there eventually :D :D

I started with 2.5kg and very quickly that was too light but 5kg was just slightly too heavy so I got an adjustable KB from Tesco and used 4kg, then about a week later added 1kg more so I'm now on 5kg. It goes up to 7kg, doubt I'll need more than that before the end of the 6 weeks! Maybe if I redo it I will though. I'm impressed that you use 7.5kg though!

Well it varies. Cardio is about 600, Core 350, Resistance 480. But then I'm bigger than a lot of you so will burn more. I bought my HRM from Tesco for £20 and it's actually really good. They've got it on offer at the moment, 1/3 off down the £13.66 or something like that. It's the one body HRM.

I started with 2.5kg and very quickly that was too light but 5kg was just slightly too heavy so I got an adjustable KB from Tesco and used 4kg, then about a week later added 1kg more so I'm now on 5kg. It goes up to 7kg, doubt I'll need more than that before the end of the 6 weeks! Maybe if I redo it I will though. I'm impressed that you use 7.5kg though!

Wow!!! thats interesting to know. I'm going to have to get a HRM now!!!! lol :D

caroline g said:

Aaaw thanks Caroline but I don't -yet! I plan to get one soon and use it alongside my 5kg on my next round of Kettleworx :)

Last edited:
Yay it's the weekend :)

I love swinging during the day :)

week2 core done. Can feel it in my abs already! Was still sore from cardio a couple of days ago so made it a bit tougher than normal!

Bring on resistance wk2 next.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Yay it's the weekend :)

I love swinging during the day :)

week2 core done. Can feel it in my abs already! Was still sore from cardio a couple of days ago so made it a bit tougher than normal!

Bring on resistance wk2 next.

Have a great weekend everyone.

There'll be no stopping you now you have that dreaded week 1 cardio out of the way!!!!! :p

I'm finding myself itching to do something today!!! I'm my eldest daughter to take to dance practice shortly but if I'm still in the mood & not running late I think I might squeeze in week 3 resistance later :D

sorry to rain on people's parades.... but if you are buying a HRM for measuring calories they are both inaccurate and flawed.

- HRM use a algorithm and each manufacturer is unique with no consistency
- Heart rate doesnt equate to calories burned. I can bicep curl with a large weight and my heart rate will get quite high. However the energy expended is relatively low - its onyl using a small muscle in an isolated exercise. Whereas a kettlebell swing, with the same heart rate, will use many muscles in a compound exercise and burn significantly higher rates.

Studies show that (measured via lactate and oxygen consumption as it actually quite hard to measure even in labs) that kettlebells will for most users burn 20 k/cal per minute. A similar rate would be achieved by most individuals running 6mph on treadmill. P90x burns between 10-16 k/cals per minute as a comparison (similar study to kettlebell) again a very good rate but not quite as high and with a range depending on whether doing plyometrics (highest rating), cardio, weights etc..,.

Use a HRM to set lower and upper limits. My limits are my age minus 220 (220-47=173) and my range is 85-95% of 173. This is a highish intensity range and effective for fitness and burning cals.

Well thats week 3 resistance done a few days early which has worked out well coz hubby is off on Monday so I can have a wee day off & get back in my routine on wednesday (though I might do a fast abs or fast fat burn on tuesday)

I used my 7.5kg for the whole thing & my thighs are still burning from those skier squats!!! :eek: On a whole though it was enjoyable & I feel like I have had a great workout

sweet pink said:
Well thats week 3 resistance done a few days early which has worked out well coz hubby is off on Monday so I can have a wee day off & get back in my routine on wednesday (though I might do a fast abs or fast fat burn on tuesday)

I used my 7.5kg for the whole thing & my thighs are still burning from those skier squats!!! :eek: On a whole though it was enjoyable & I feel like I have had a great workout

Good on you Sweet! I'm inspired to get a 7.5kg bell now :)

My HRM has been pretty accurate when compared to estimates on the website that I use for tracking my food and exercise, so I'm happy to go with it and consider it to be fairly accurate. 20 per minute is pretty close to what my HRM says so I don't think it's that inaccurate. I don't eat my exercise calories back though so it's not quite so important that it's totally accurate. If I were to eat them back I'd definitely leave 10-20% as room for error though.

I finally opened my new christmas dvd yesterday. It is a step kb dvd so I had my first practice at swinging and stepping !!!!! I completed the tutorial, which gave 30 sec practice moves using my 8kg, and it was 'interesting' lol I had to purchase a new step, one that is adjustable up to 12 inches which came last week, but due to my cold had stayed in its box. I hope to complete the work out today, and i will be using my 4.5kg while I get used to the moves, then will move up as needed. Wish me luck :)

Trimlee thanks :) Hope you do get that 7.5, it can seem quite daunting going up in weight, but you do get the hang of it quite quickly, and I swear results are better the heavier you swing :) Great to know youve nearly finished round 1, youve really kept with it this time, and I hope you can see/feel the benefits

Sweet half way through already, altho you had a break from swinging, you seem to have gotten right back into it, Ryan made a lasting impression :)

Martin altho HRMs are not accurate I think they can be used as a measurement, sometimes having some data to try and beat can help push you that little bit harder. Using the 20k/cals burned per minute (high intensity) gives a good example as to how much exercise you would need to do whenever you feel like having that naughty treat to burn it off lol

Chick good to hear your managing to get your swings in, can seem such a chore after work :)

caroline great to hear you've moved up to 5kg, and liking cardio lol :)

Cleogin I found lawnmowers gave me a bit of a breather lol hope you manage to get caught up x

Joanna are you all done with round 1 now :)

Morning kron,

Good luck in getting the work out completed today! Are you feeling much Better now? What's the step kb DVD called? Want to have a wee nosey on amazon! I fancy buying a new kb DVD for when I finish r3 :)

Hi Chick, the link is for this dvd, now i have watched dont know if i want to do it lol
The difficult bit is finding a step high enough over here, the step used is readily available in the USA, but quite pricey and hard to find over here. I have a few of his DVDs now, and they are hard!
Paul Katami Burn & Build - YouTube

Back