Secret to shaping up

Had a quick look at the link but keeps buffering on my phone so will have a proper look later after puppy school! Some of those moves looks tough!!! And the step is really quite high isn't it?! Looks great though!

Kron said:
Hi Chick, the link is for this dvd, now i have watched dont know if i want to do it lol
The difficult bit is finding a step high enough over here, the step used is readily available in the USA, but quite pricey and hard to find over here. I have a few of his DVDs now, and they are hard!
Paul Katami Burn & Build - YouTube

Kron you've got a workout there!
Talk about intensity and fitness -only one thing to say "They are all machines!"

Kron said:
Good morning :)

I finally opened my new christmas dvd yesterday. It is a step kb dvd so I had my first practice at swinging and stepping !!!!! I completed the tutorial, which gave 30 sec practice moves using my 8kg, and it was 'interesting' lol I had to purchase a new step, one that is adjustable up to 12 inches which came last week, but due to my cold had stayed in its box. I hope to complete the work out today, and i will be using my 4.5kg while I get used to the moves, then will move up as needed. Wish me luck :)

Trimlee thanks :) Hope you do get that 7.5, it can seem quite daunting going up in weight, but you do get the hang of it quite quickly, and I swear results are better the heavier you swing :) Great to know youve nearly finished round 1, youve really kept with it this time, and I hope you can see/feel the benefits

Sweet half way through already, altho you had a break from swinging, you seem to have gotten right back into it, Ryan made a lasting impression :)

Martin altho HRMs are not accurate I think they can be used as a measurement, sometimes having some data to try and beat can help push you that little bit harder. Using the 20k/cals burned per minute (high intensity) gives a good example as to how much exercise you would need to do whenever you feel like having that naughty treat to burn it off lol

Chick good to hear your managing to get your swings in, can seem such a chore after work :)

caroline great to hear you've moved up to 5kg, and liking cardio lol :)

Cleogin I found lawnmowers gave me a bit of a breather lol hope you manage to get caught up x

Joanna are you all done with round 1 now :)

Wow that's an exciting " step up" from the usual, keep us informed how you get on with it :)

I'm just no good at lawnmowers..... I don't think my technique is very good.

Completed week 3 this morning with core, going to try and re-integrate my 7.5 this week on some moves.

Keep swinging gang :)

Morning Swingers! Good to see everyone's keeping at it. :)

Well Wk4 Advanced Cardio just finished. The pace stepped up big style with this one but I managed to keep going. Just dropped down to my 5kg for the seated figure eight, purely because its the only bell I can get under my scissoring legs! I still find it gives me a good run for my money though so its clearly doing me some good. Did the rest with my 7.5kg. Boy do I know it now. My legs and hands are still shaking! :eek:

My new sports bra took a good hammering as well with all the jumping jacks, hops, circle runs etc and I'm afraid to report that although its better, I still have to do one armed jumping jacks with the other firmly clamped across "my girls"! :D

Mr Sue is now upstairs doing wk1 Cardio! :D I cannot wait for his report back! Tee hee hee ... Will let you know how he gets on. ;)

Hi Chick, the link is for this dvd, now i have watched dont know if i want to do it lol
The difficult bit is finding a step high enough over here, the step used is readily available in the USA, but quite pricey and hard to find over here. I have a few of his DVDs now, and they are hard!
Paul Katami Burn & Build - YouTube

This looks really interesting - thanks for the link Kron. I'm some way off even thinking about another dvd, but I am really liking the kb way of working out (even though I'm still very 'new' at it) and I used to really love step classes when I did them years (and years) ago. The step is very high, but I reckon, someone like me with short legs :D would do okay with the standard reebock type step. Something I may well consider (need to dust off the step that been stored in the loft for over a decade).

I finished wk1 with resistance yesterday. I really like this one and it was my favorite. Probably because it was the first time I managed to keep up through the whole routine - except when I fell on my bum a few times during those baseball heel lift ones - need to work on my balance.

I'm still trying to decide on a good Pilates workout to do the days inbetween - as I know I really need to put more effort into my core strength.

Anyway - I'm not aching as much today and so that's gotta be a good sign.

Well done to everyone whatever level you're at and I'm pleased to have joined the 'kettlebell party'.

Hi All! Kron what an inspiration you are, I wonder how many people have joined the kb gang because of you?

I've so far completed Wk 1 Cardio (very hardcore) and Core. I'm going to do Resistance today and maybe Fast Burn.

I didn't ache to much yesterday after Cardio but today my inner thighs and bum are killing me!!

I really like the look of the step kb DVD in terms of it will get really fit and toned but in reality I'm not sure how long I would be able to keep up for - definitely for the advanced kb'ers! Did you get DVD off Amazon?

Very impressed that some of you have moved up to 7.5kg, I think I could probably manage the kb swing but definitely not for the arm punches etc.

Martin, just wondered if you could explain EPOC, I thought you only burned extra calories for an hour after workout?

Happy swinging everyone!

Mr Sue made it through! His first words were "I think I've died"! I think we've all been there! :) Very impressed with him though. Think Ryan might have been on the receiving end of quite a bit of abuse! So that's him done Week 1. :D

Well I have prepped dinner and got everything done, so just waiting for my light early lunch to digest then I will be step swinging!

This DVD is advanced, so I would not recommend it for beginners, but will report back later. You can get it on amazon, as well as a couple of others of his, which I have and they are challenging :)

Great to hear our week 1'ers are cracking on and surviving the dreaded cardio lol and are finding it easier to keep up, you do improve in only a few sessions!

Hopefully I will be back later lol

hi all,
well, hasnt it been a while. i hope you're all doing well and still swinging. Tell Ryan that i still love him...

havent swung consistently for some time as first i hurt my ankle, then my back, and then my arm. All unrelated to KB's but defo put me off my stride.

anyway, I'm back and fighting fit (ish). Have moved onto the advanced DVD which i'm loving.

happy sunday to you all... mama x

Hi

My Adj kettle bell from Tesco.direct was defective (you can tell it'd already been returned). But I am determined to start -- so, I will just try to start with thh 10 lb bell cast iron neoprene-coated one I bought from the the U.S. base and see if I can swing that without too much agony.

If not, I'll get a lighter neoprene coated one like this one. I think the plasticy screwed together ones looks as if it could pop apart and that could be dangerous. Plus, the one I have came with a DVD, so I'll check that out.

I have a adjustible step from the old days (it has risers you add to it). I'll bet you could find something like that on ebay.

Hi Mel - the 10lb one is just under the 5kg mark so you although you might find it a little heavy and challenging to start with, you'll soon be swinging it around with ease. Most folk on here found that they were able to move up to a 5kg during the first round of Kettleworx.

Good luck and happy swinging! :)

Hi Mel - the 10lb one is just under the 5kg mark so you although you might find it a little heavy and challenging to start with, you'll soon be swinging it around with ease. Most folk on here found that they were able to move up to a 5kg during the first round of Kettleworx.

Good luck and happy swinging! :)

It was the weight ChelseaLou suggested I start with -- I then procrastinated about starting, then saw those adj ones and decided to start small and build up... but those a rubbish -- so it is time to "Just Do It"!

Last edited:
Mama :) great to hear from you, was wondering where you got to, so pleased to have you back. Hope all those injuries heal quickly and good luck with advanced, you must be swinging a 16 by now lol

Mel just do it :) you know you want to lol crack open that DVD. I started with a 10lb, and it knackered me, but worked wonders

Oxygen ASAP lol

I survived Katami Build & Burn, just!
OMG it's a toughie. I worked my way through it, but am pleased to note that the workout is in sections, so you can pick a few to do, or do the whole lot in one go. I found the step a handy height to rest on while I watched them finish off each set ;)

It takes your core strength up a level, I am quite good at one legged/balance core moves etc, but the move up onto and off the step gave me some wobbly moments

My face is a lovely shade of lobster pink, and I am a right sweaty betty. I need to work on which is my left and right leg, I did get a bit confused at times lol

Definitely not for the faint hearted, I thought his others - Combos and Drills were challenging, but this one hits your butt, thighs and core even harder. I expect to be a bit achy tomorrow!

Kron said:
Oxygen ASAP lol

I survived Katami Build & Burn, just!
OMG it's a toughie. I worked my way through it, but am pleased to note that the workout is in sections, so you can pick a few to do, or do the whole lot in one go. I found the step a handy height to rest on while I watched them finish off each set ;)

It takes your core strength up a level, I am quite good at one legged/balance core moves etc, but the move up onto and off the step gave me some wobbly moments

My face is a lovely shade of lobster pink, and I am a right sweaty betty. I need to work on which is my left and right leg, I did get a bit confused at times lol

Definitely not for the faint hearted, I thought his others - Combos and Drills were challenging, but this one hits your butt, thighs and core even harder. I expect to be a bit achy tomorrow!

OMG just feel the pain reading about it lol!!

Well done you :)

EPOC = energy post-exercise oxygen consumption. Its a sort of afterburn.

In summary, post exercise your body responds with a higher metabolism. It can, depneding on the person and exercise, continue for up to 30+ hours but obivouly it diminishes.

Once you have exercised at a high enough rate your body will want to return it to its previous state. This is usually anerobic exercise such as kettlebells or dumbells at a high enough intensity. Aerobic exercise doenst generate the same level of EPOC but does burn cals at a higher rate during exercise.

Doing kettlworx, high itensity interval training, insanity, p90x all are likley to have an epoc effect as VO2 uptake is high for a sustained period.

Hwoever rest is critical or you overtrain.

Hi All! Kron what an inspiration you are, I wonder how many people have joined the kb gang because of you?

I've so far completed Wk 1 Cardio (very hardcore) and Core. I'm going to do Resistance today and maybe Fast Burn.

I didn't ache to much yesterday after Cardio but today my inner thighs and bum are killing me!!

I really like the look of the step kb DVD in terms of it will get really fit and toned but in reality I'm not sure how long I would be able to keep up for - definitely for the advanced kb'ers! Did you get DVD off Amazon?

Very impressed that some of you have moved up to 7.5kg, I think I could probably manage the kb swing but definitely not for the arm punches etc.

Martin, just wondered if you could explain EPOC, I thought you only burned extra calories for an hour after workout?

Happy swinging everyone!

I just gave my Kettle Bell its first swinging. I used the intro DVD that came with the bell. It had a "how to" demo part for some of the moves and then a basic work out. I may feel it tomorrow.

I then looked at the Charlotte Ord workouts (two) that I recorded: one was a Kettle Bell Core and the other was a Kettle Bell advanced. These seem a little too much like an advert. I think I need to get some proper DVDs.

I wonder if there is a Kettle Bell thing for the Wii?

Does anyone use workout gloves with their Kettle Bells? They made my hands hurt -- I could see how you'd form callouses pretty fast. I went and got my weight lifting glove and wore those.

Been reading this and seems dveyone loves it. Or at least the results it gives.
Had question, does anyone doe this that has a week lower back? Sacrum area?
I've not got injury but my back plays up from time to time. I thought maybe might even help????

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Kron well done on completing your DVD :) hope there aren't too many aches tomorrow ! Had another look at the link and must say I was exhausted just watching it lol!!

Someone mentioned they were looking for a pilates DVD to do in between kb days( sorry I've forgotten who). I have one from the 'ten minute workout' series that I think is pretty good and only cost a few quid from amazon.

Back