Secret to shaping up

Cat Lover Sue said:
Hi Mrsmacca - yes. Most of us are doing the Kettleworx programme. Have a look on the Kettleworx UK website. Just google and it comes up. Basically it's a 6 week programme consisting of 3 x 20min workouts per week covering Cardio, Core and Resistance. The website will give you more info so fire away with any questions when you've had a look. There's normally a few folk about that can help. :)

Great thanks i did a class at my gym last night and enjoyed it so may invest i have a 4 month old and partner who works shifts so getting to the gym is challenging! X

Maybe an odd question, but is this as effective for men?

Been looking at the kettlebells and their fairly expensive and the kettleworx package is only 5lbs which seems too light.

Is it worth the investment for a guy?

Hi yesterday and cjeb
Kettlebells are traditionally a mans workout and used by the elite to build strength etc.
Men tend to use heavier bells and get great form, not as big as if you were body building
My hubby uses kw and I can say while he is not here, his shoulders and arms are very muscular, as well as a toned belly. he is always wandering around the house half naked and looks pretty fit ;) He started with a 6kg, and over time now uses a 10kg which is doing the job. He is a steel worker so does get to lug lumps of metal around but since swinging his muscles have popped.
If men dont fancy kettleworx there are a number of other dvds that can be followed if you want to do a home workout

Google kettlebell - Pavel, Steve Cotter, Mike Mahler all well known and respected kb instructors, all men and all extremely fit :)

i am sure our swinger MartinD will be popping back on here soon and will also be able to confirm that bells are a mans sport!

Kron - Mr K is going to be chuffed with you! He sounds a hottie! :giggle:

I'm sure Martin will b along soon to offer man advice but my hubbie gyms regularly and he thought it was a bit of a fad, and then tried it one day and was very impressed, he now does at least one workout a wk x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

sssshhhhh dont tell him I said that lol
He is always saying what a fit looking couple we are, and its all down to swinging ;)

Great thanks i did a class at my gym last night and enjoyed it so may invest i have a 4 month old and partner who works shifts so getting to the gym is challenging! X

That is why kettleworx works soo well for me coz I have 3 girls all under 6. Getting to the gym would be virutally impossible but another way I look at it is I have my KW session done in the time it would take me to drive to the nearest gym!!! I would definitely recommend it

Kron - lol, my sleep is pretty messed up at the moment. Hadn't slept yet when I posted last night! Hope you are well soon :)

Thanks Bostik :)
How much sleep do you get? I would be good for nothing if I didnt sleep well, are you coping ok.

I had a step swing, his main workout has 7 'blocks' so I chose 2 of the 7 thru the chapter selection, doing the warm up first, which nearly finished me off before I had even started lol, then went on to do his 'bonus' core workout, then collapsed :) Not sure how i managed to get thru the whole workout (sort of) when I first tried it at the weekend, must have been having a good day!!!

i have been a good wife and got a few chores done, so now can relax until Mr Kron gets home and wants his dinner :)

Did Core week 2 today and definatly think Core might be my fave :D my little boy has even started copying me now so I think I found a new workout buddy! lol xx

Kron - think I got about 4-5 hours today. Today was longer cos didn't have to be up for anything. But if I do, sometimes I'm having to get by on just a couple of hours. It gets more difficult the longer it goes on. On monday I didn't have the energy to make myself do c25k as well. Hoping today will be better. Can't wait til I am sleeping better again, especially as I'll be starting work soon.

Leapj bless him :) great to hear week 2 is well underway

Bostik that's not good! Your body must be so out of routine it's going to be hard to get it back on track. Have you tried any sleep remedies? I get the odd bout of insomnia, and it's not pleasant trying to cope on so little sleep. I hope you are able to get it sorted soon, as you say, the longer it lasts the worse it gets x

Yeah, it just randomly happens every now and then. Like no reason like I was sleeping at funny times. Just decides you aren't sleeping tonight. Or tomorrow night. Or the next! Stresses me out and makes me right cranky and stuff. Really hope it goes soon! On the plus side, I am wide awake at night to do my kettleworx in the living room by myself lol :)

Kettlebells are perfect for everyone

1. Start with an appropriate weight. 8kg for men with no fitness/gym exp, 12kg for moderate fitness, 16kg for regular gym user and 20kg for sportsman
2. Kettleworx is fine dont consider it a woman's programme - I just prefer other trainers with a different style
3. Steve Cotter, Mike Mahler, John Brookfield, Art of strength or Russian kettlebells are all great - and again suitable for men or women they are just a differnt approach.
4. Being a man (honest!) I prefer bigger weights, trying 2x bells at a time just works better for me (and quicker to get knackered)

Maybe an odd question, but is this as effective for men?

Been looking at the kettlebells and their fairly expensive and the kettleworx package is only 5lbs which seems too light.

Is it worth the investment for a guy?

MartinD said:
Kettlebells are perfect for everyone

1. Start with an appropriate weight. 8kg for men with no fitness/gym exp, 12kg for moderate fitness, 16kg for regular gym user and 20kg for sportsman
2. Kettleworx is fine dont consider it a woman's programme - I just prefer other trainers with a different style
3. Steve Cotter, Mike Mahler, John Brookfield, Art of strength or Russian kettlebells are all great - and again suitable for men or women they are just a differnt approach.
4. Being a man (honest!) I prefer bigger weights, trying 2x bells at a time just works better for me (and quicker to get knackered)

Hey Martin, you'll prob know answer to this... Hubbie seems to think I should be switching down weights for smaller muscle groups? (as it is I currently do as don't have very good upper body strength)

Assuming your goal is weight loss, go for the heaviest weight you can handle on compound large muscle groups. Compound means using two or more muscle joints such as squats, cleans, press etc.., Where possible do these at the beginning.

Small muscles like biceps or abs DO NOT need much cals and tend to use isloated exercise (only use one muscle group primarily, like bicep curl). Start with what you can but avoid being tired by these exercises so that you cant complete your compound exercises.

Remember compound big muscles before isolated small. this will eat calories much more - plus burn fat and get you looking good all over more quickly that 100,000 bicep curls or 250,000 crunches! oh and stick to your diet...

so what that means is dont worry about smaller muscles as much, it will come with time, if it means dropping a weight then do so but focus on compound

Hey Martin, you'll prob know answer to this... Hubbie seems to think I should be switching down weights for smaller muscle groups? (as it is I currently do as don't have very good upper body strength)

My bf has managed to get a hold of kw DVDs for me, I had wanted for a long time but kudnt afford but now he has managed to get me a copy but they are level 2 which I've heard are the advanced, wud I b better trying to get first set or are these on to start with xx

Hi everyone!

I've just started kettleworx! Did week one cardio and am in pain! Good pain though!

I don't have a HRM and can't afford one - not even a cheap one! :(

Just wondering how many calories is burned roughly per session?

I know obviously it depends on weight etc but just after a guesstimate really. Have looked on the net and found some really wide ranging answers!

Thanks

Yeah, it just randomly happens every now and then. Like no reason like I was sleeping at funny times. Just decides you aren't sleeping tonight. Or tomorrow night. Or the next! Stresses me out and makes me right cranky and stuff. Really hope it goes soon! On the plus side, I am wide awake at night to do my kettleworx in the living room by myself lol :)

Before my hysterectomy I would have 3-4 sleepless nights a month definitely hormonal and strange because I didn't even feel tired let alone sleepy, now I just have one night a month, so maybe it's hormonal with you too? what I like about it now is it gives me a clue to a gain!

Thanks everyone for all your help. I've seen the 5kg kettlebell in tescos I think from a link on this page / site. Is that a good one to get? Also is that the right weight to start off with. Also, where can I find the workout - is it available online or would I have to buy the dvds? I remember seeing this on fitness tv months back and thinking it looked good!!

Sorry if you have answered these questions before!

Back