Secret to shaping up

Shirleen - possibly. can't remember the last time if I was or not, but it is definitely TOTM at the moment so my hormones are a bit all over the place. Been nearly two weeks of messed up sleep though now. Will see if it is around TOTM next time and then suggest it to the docs maybe.

Hello again ladies. I hope you are all keeping well. Since i was last here back in september i have had the most eventful 4 months of my life, with highs and lows that have all contributed to weight loss and gain. i managed to complete kettleworx once and a half, with a three and four kg bell, didnt quite challenge me but as i had the bells to hand i figured something is better than nothing. a family emergency saw me returning to ireland almost weekly and having to compress a full weeks work into three days, leaving little room for swinging! however crisis has been settled since mid december and having the holidays looming i decided to wait til january to resume all thoughts of diet and exercise, big mistake.... as got engaged on christmas eve and that has put me up the khyber with getting started come jan 1st, it seems the champagne and parties dont stop after the initial event and then one tends to develop a taste for the bubbly stuff, oops....

Anywho, im back and have just started slimming world for the very first time so all advice in that area would be greatly appreciate.

I have a quick question for Kron, or anyone else that is following slimming world, should i do a week or two without swinging to see how im getting on and to contribute better to my weight loss, or will i get straight back into the swing of things??

Hope everyone is getting on well!!

xsarahx said:
Hi everyone!

I've just started kettleworx! Did week one cardio and am in pain! Good pain though!

I don't have a HRM and can't afford one - not even a cheap one! :(

Just wondering how many calories is burned roughly per session?

I know obviously it depends on weight etc but just after a guesstimate really. Have looked on the net and found some really wide ranging answers!

Thanks

Hiya I can't see ur stats as on my phone but I'm 155lbs and I burn between 180-250 per session x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Assuming your goal is weight loss, go for the heaviest weight you can handle on compound large muscle groups. Compound means using two or more muscle joints such as squats, cleans, press etc.., Where possible do these at the beginning.

Small muscles like biceps or abs DO NOT need much cals and tend to use isloated exercise (only use one muscle group primarily, like bicep curl). Start with what you can but avoid being tired by these exercises so that you cant complete your compound exercises.

Remember compound big muscles before isolated small. this will eat calories much more - plus burn fat and get you looking good all over more quickly that 100,000 bicep curls or 250,000 crunches! oh and stick to your diet...

so what that means is dont worry about smaller muscles as much, it will come with time, if it means dropping a weight then do so but focus on compound

Thanks Martin. That's really helpful advice. :)

Thanks everyone for all your help. I've seen the 5kg kettlebell in tescos I think from a link on this page / site. Is that a good one to get? Also is that the right weight to start off with. Also, where can I find the workout - is it available online or would I have to buy the dvds? I remember seeing this on fitness tv months back and thinking it looked good!!

Sorry if you have answered these questions before!

Hi - I have both the 5kg and 7.5kg bells from Tescos and I have no complaints with them. In terms of a starting weight, it really depends on your fitness and stamina level. For reference though, most folk end up using a 5kg somewhere along the line in the first set of 6 week sessions so although you might find it a challenge to start with, you very quickly build up to a level where it is manageable.

KW is a set of DVDs. Just google the Kettlework UK website and you will find all the info on there. There's normally a few sets of ebay as well but sometimes they end up going for more on there than the price brand new! There are some kettlebell workouts on Youtube which you could have a go at if you wanted to get an idea of whether it is for you or not before you spend on the KW set. If you do go for KW, make sure you get the set that includes Cardio, Core and Resistance as this forms the basis for the 6 week programme. And its not a one-off, you can repeat the programme as many times as you want whilst increasing your bell weight, so all in all it ends up being pretty good value for money.

Hope this helps! :)

Hello again ladies. I hope you are all keeping well. Since i was last here back in september i have had the most eventful 4 months of my life, with highs and lows that have all contributed to weight loss and gain. i managed to complete kettleworx once and a half, with a three and four kg bell, didnt quite challenge me but as i had the bells to hand i figured something is better than nothing. a family emergency saw me returning to ireland almost weekly and having to compress a full weeks work into three days, leaving little room for swinging! however crisis has been settled since mid december and having the holidays looming i decided to wait til january to resume all thoughts of diet and exercise, big mistake.... as got engaged on christmas eve and that has put me up the khyber with getting started come jan 1st, it seems the champagne and parties dont stop after the initial event and then one tends to develop a taste for the bubbly stuff, oops....

Anywho, im back and have just started slimming world for the very first time so all advice in that area would be greatly appreciate.

I have a quick question for Kron, or anyone else that is following slimming world, should i do a week or two without swinging to see how im getting on and to contribute better to my weight loss, or will i get straight back into the swing of things??

Ailly - CONGRATULATIONS :). Sounds like an eventful couple of months for you!

Can't specifically answer a SW question as I'm a WW gal, but if it was me I would just get back straight into it. It's surprising how quickly it all settles down to being routine again!

Hi - wk4 advanced finished with resistance. This week has been a real punisher. I think I was lulled into a false sense of security and then BAM! That Ryan, eh :whoopass: He proper spanked my butt!

A lot of this was was one handed stuff. And a couple of new moves added as well. Some kind of weird lop-sided push up which I wasn't great at but I just need to work on the form. When I first started KW I couldn't even do a push up and spent many a workout on my knees (oh er Mrs)! :D So I know that time and effort will pay off and I will be able to master it eventually. Apparently its a great one for the "under-arm jiggle" or bingo wings as we call them here.

Big mug of tea now for recovery. Oh and I have a new sports bra I wore for the first time today. Anyone with big boobs check out the Sports bra thread for my full review, but this has really strapped my puppies down good and proper so right at the end of the workout, even though I was totally knackered, I threw in some jumping jacks cause I could. No more one armed ones for me from now on! :D (Apologies to Martin for all this boob talk - although I did notice you in the Sports Bra thread!! :busted: (Ha Ha - see what I did there!!) :D

Hi all

I'm another avid reader of this thread, spent quite some time reading it from the start and now feel like I know you all!!!

Just wanted to say thank you for all your advice and inspiration.

I'm a guy who obtained the kettleworx DVDs last year - the isolated DVDs with arms & shoulders etc. Found them rather hard and gave up!

However your enthusiasm rekindled an interest in kettle bells and I obtained the full 6 week course, stuck them onto my iPad and am currently on week 2 with core and resistance left to do. Cardio week 1 is def the worst so far! have also been doing spin classes at the gym..... Incidentally cardio on KW burnt the same calories as 30 mins in the spin class!!

Even though it's early days and I've not been good diet wise, I can already see & feel a difference in muscle size / tone. I always drink a hurricane xs protein shake from myprotein after a session, so not sure if this helps.

So, thank you for your inspiration and for any guy thinking if doing this, I'd definitely say go for it, it's fantastic!!!!

Hi A1000 - welcome. Martin will be glad of another male voice on here! Glad to hear you're getting into KW and already seeing a difference. Interesting to note what you say about the spin class. I've never done one but the girls at work who do it say what a nightmare it is. Think I'd rather do KW Cardio in the comfort of my own home if it works out pretty similar!

Oh and meant to add. What fantastic weight loss. That's brilliant. Are you following any diet in particular?

Hi Sue

Thank you!! Martins advice, along with everyone else including yours (and obviously Kron's!) has been truly inspirational, and has helped me refocus on what's important in my life!

I lost 100lbs on cambridge diet last year but put a little of it back on over the last couple of months, so I have some hard work to get back to goal using the bells! Currently my diet is awful awful awful. If I can just control the gorging and binging all will be ok with the exercise I'm doing!! Maintaining at the moment though thanks to Ryan!!

Also got hold of a number of other KB DVDs so will look at those once round 1 is out the way. I'm actually on a tight schedule, on hols for a weekend in two weeks tomorrow, so I'm going to SUPERCHARGE Ryan and do two weeks worth if KW each week till then. I'll do it properly when I do the second round!!

Alan

Forgot to say, spin is a hard slog, never thought I'd actually get the courage and confidence to do it! Glad I did though!! My last spin class burnt just over 800 calories in an hour!!!! You basically go at your own pace using the instructor as a guide. I generally end up going all out as hard as I can for the whole time! Feel it the next day!!!!

Firstly congratulations on your engagement!!

I follow slimming world & have just started back to KB after a shoulder injury & I do find that my weightloss slows a little when I start swinging again. In saying that though i wouldnt let it put me off onto a good healthy eating plan as the weightloss will catch up & you'll be losing inches at the same time.

Hi Alan - supercharging sounds like a plan! Do you have the Fast Fat Burn and Fast Abs DVDs? They are basically 3 ten minute workouts on each. I had a week off between rounds back in September and thought I would do these. They are certainly challenging and because they are only 10 minutes it kind of lulls you into a state where you want to go all out. You might find these beneficial on the lead up to your hols??

The diet sounds ok. At least you can pinpoint what it is that needs changing, even if you're not doing it! :) It would be far worse if you had put back on but couldn't explain why. That's how I look at it anyway.

I'm glad you are finding the thread useful. It's transformed my life that's for sure. I'm not a natural exerciser (and that's probably the under-statement of the century :)) so to find this and be able to do it and dare I say, even enjoy it, is a total revelation. The support on the thread is brilliant. I was actually quite emotional when I completed round 1 and saw what a difference it had made to me. I couldn't stop thanking folk on here! I count my blessings I found this thread, I really do.

Anyway enough girlie emotion! Mr Sue is also now getting into it and he's just started wk2. There's something so satisfying about seeing him come down the stairs on jelly legs, covered in sweat and knowing that he's now looking at me with a new-found respect for sticking with it! And he said he doesn't like Kettleworx Kimberley as she "looks leathery"! :D

After managing the kettlebell punches & gun slingers with my 7.5kg yesterday I can honestly say that I have never felt pain in my arms like it :eek: When I say pain in the arms it starts at the elbow goes right to my shoulder & underarm & down to the boob area!!!! :eek: Oh well no pain no gain but the scales had better be kind to me tomorrow after all this :rolleyes:

After managing the kettlebell punches & gun slingers with my 7.5kg yesterday I can honestly say that I have never felt pain in my arms like it :eek: When I say pain in the arms it starts at the elbow goes right to my shoulder & underarm & down to the boob area!!!! :eek: Oh well no pain no gain but the scales had better be kind to me tomorrow after all this :rolleyes:

Morning Sweet - that sounds :eek:. I still can't move off the 5kg for them so hats off to you. I too was gunslinging this morning and can't imagine moving up a weight on them - ever! Martin gave some really good advice to Donzy, probably a page or so back now, about some of the arm ones. That kept me going this morning when I was hurting just using my 5! Good luck with the scales for tomorrow. :)

Morning Sweet - that sounds :eek:. I still can't move off the 5kg for them so hats off to you. I too was gunslinging this morning and can't imagine moving up a weight on them - ever! Martin gave some really good advice to Donzy, probably a page or so back now, about some of the arm ones. That kept me going this morning when I was hurting just using my 5! Good luck with the scales for tomorrow. :)

I read that. It makes sense. I just wish i had read it yesterday!!!! lol :eek:

Hi Alan - supercharging sounds like a plan! Do you have the Fast Fat Burn and Fast Abs DVDs? They are basically 3 ten minute workouts on each. I had a week off between rounds back in September and thought I would do these. They are certainly challenging and because they are only 10 minutes it kind of lulls you into a state where you want to go all out.

Hi Sue, yep, got all the workouts now plus the "fat free in 42" part.....it's amazing what you can find on the Internet if you know where to look!!!! I've done the fast fat burn before, but not the fast abs.

Agree with the comments about Kettleworx Kimberley too!!! ;)

Alan

ailly congratulations on your engagement!

Just finished Wk3 Cardio, I actually rather like it! Does that make me weird?!

sweet pink doing those gun slingers with 5kg is enough for me, hats off to you doing them with 7.5kg, can't imagine it myself!! I'm tempted to buy a 5kg weight so that when I move up past 5kg for everything else, I can switch back to 5kg quickly for those things, like gun slingers, that are just that bit too hard with a heavier weight. I've got an adjustable weight, would be too much of a pain to take weights off and add them on half way through a workout.

I've got the fast fat burn and fast abs too, I started with them before I started the Kettleworx 6 week programme and actually think the full programme is easier even though it's longer! They're good though.

Back